Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

GreenNight posted:

All the games in my GOG library are either free or I got through the GOG sync with Steam.

Same, except I bought tons of older games for cheap before they were available on steam and I have never played them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The Kins posted:

Brutal Legend is one, off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more, but my mind might be mixing this up with similar behaviour on the Mac App Store.

EDIT: Found a list. Some highlights:

Ok, that's pretty bad. I did notice for Pillars of Eternity how the Gog version got patches a few days after Steam.

That said, I own more games on Gog than Steam (though it's not a huge collection). Steam feels so big and devoid of support, it gets arbitrary if you ever have trouble. DRM-free gives you more control. Plus they got a lot of good will out of the idea at the start, bringing back old games and supporting them, which they have stuck to even though they hold a lot of other games now. It's probably better to get newer games on Steam (where devs/publishers tend to focus their support), and older games on Gog still (since older games tend to just be dumped on Steam without almost any patching).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I really like and prefer GOG, but I've had to adopt the habit of browsing forums before buying a game to see what's being left out that's inexplicably left in on Steam, whether the developer is too lazy to push patches to GOG, stuff like that. I will say that generally, if I agitate for a patch it eventually gets updated (thanks usually to Iscariot on GOG). There's always this extra legwork to do to see if a game is busted or not before pulling the trigger, buying, installing, and getting to a place halfway through that ruins the experience.

I think that overall, though, they just plain care about games even if they don't seem to care about all of them. Steam, I assume has an empire management mentality that's similar to Facebook's. I use it if I have to, otherwise, gently caress 'em. But of course, they're both just shopping places for buying games and it doesn't make much sense to get all worked up about.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

When Locus or freedom fighters makes it onto gog I'll be over the moon.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

The Kins posted:

Brutal Legend is one, off the top of my head.

That is really awful. Brutal Legend's single-player was basically a really long tutorial for it's multi-player. Single-player is still fun but I remember having a blast playing it online back when it came out.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Does anyone remember when they were doing that sale where you had to clear through all the copies of one game before another one would pop up, and it got stuck forever on some crappy (adventure?) game no-one had ever heard of?

edit: It was Jack Keane 2

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 9, 2018

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'll be an old man on my deathbed and still remember Jack Keane 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

I'll be an old man on my deathbed and still remember Jack Keane 2.

And you won't be able to expire until another 300 copies have sold.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Chad Jihad posted:

Does anyone remember when they were doing that sale where you had to clear through all the copies of one game before another one would pop up, and it got stuck forever on some crappy (adventure?) game no-one had ever heard of?

edit: It was Jack Keane 2

I think this was a mock-up (the actual count and price were different).

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Max Wilco posted:

I think this was a mock-up (the actual count and price were different).
It's not a mock-up, it's a mockery. It was a joke from the next time they did that type of sale. It was actually, like 18 copies, and each one sold decremented the count by 1000.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I think more people would have bought Jack Keane 2 if it was actually 2.99 during that sale. If I remember right it was like 12 or 15 dollars. It was discounted, but it was still kind of pricey even with the discount.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I think more people would have bought Jack Keane 2 if it was actually 2.99 during that sale. If I remember right it was like 12 or 15 dollars. It was discounted, but it was still kind of pricey even with the discount.

I think it was like 7.50 or something like that, still a lot for a lovely adventure game that nobody cared about or even remembers. It's like if the Runaway franchise turned up, nobody cared about it when it was released and they're mediocre as gently caress

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

As much as I love Gog one thing that really annoys me about their Galaxy client and their installers in general is that they clutter up my start menu by adding an entry group for each individual game installed. And since those entry folders are listed as Game Name [Gog.com] they get scattered all over the place. Would it have killed them to at least keep them under a gog.com folder or give us the option to not add start menu entries?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

wafflemoose posted:

Would it have killed them to at least keep them under a gog.com folder

That's where they are for me. Perhaps a difference between Galaxy and normal installers? I don't use Galaxy.

I suppose you could try the wishlist.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
It's a Windows 8+ thing IIRC. Windows started flattening nested folders so they changed the installers to put them on the top level.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So this is more of a general old-PC-game's thing but sweet mother of god;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TPTiOCuVk
The original creators of Theme Hospital are making a new game :magical:.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TPTiOCuVk
The original creators of Theme Hospital are making a new game :magical:.

The original creators of Theme Hospital are making a new Theme Hospital

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Carmageddon TDR 2000 is free for 48 hours, if you enjoy poo poo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I was about to ask if it's really that bad (I don't know that much about the Carmageddon games), but the description on the GOG page says it outright; that Stainless had nothing to do with the game, that's it the turd game in the series.

I guess I should have read that before grabbing it, but oh well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Max Wilco posted:

The way I see it, it's one less unwanted game to buy to get max discount on a bundle some years down the line.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Max Wilco posted:

I was about to ask if it's really that bad (I don't know that much about the Carmageddon games), but the description on the GOG page says it outright; that Stainless had nothing to do with the game, that's it the turd game in the series.

Yet it's got a better user rating than Max Damage.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've played all of 20 minutes of Max Damage and nothing about it feels right. I can't really explain why

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've played all of 20 minutes of Max Damage and nothing about it feels right. I can't really explain why

I thought the forced missions were just terrible. 33 minutes for me!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

How long was is stuck there for? Did it stay until the end of the sale?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've played through it back then, and it could be fun here and there but not overly so. I found it's indistinguishable powerups, map design, and overall physical behaviour not really satisfying.

But it's by far not as awful as TDR2000

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

BiggerJ posted:

How long was is stuck there for? Did it stay until the end of the sale?

consider how some games were gone in mere seconds

100 copies of keane 2: keane harder held up the program for a good 5 hours lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

scamtank posted:

consider how some games were gone in mere seconds

100 copies of keane 2: keane harder held up the program for a good 5 hours lol

It's a bad idea for a sale anyway, and it's not something they could do again even if they wanted to due to diminishing returns.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I thought Carmageddon Max Damage was fun but I also Kickstarted it, so I may be biased. It was a big step up from the first version that came out of the Kickstarter at least.

I did miss the old structure of playing a few matches, which were pretty easy, and then doing a mission, which required some skill. The "career" in Max Damage is only matches against bots with better cars as you advance.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I did miss the old structure of playing a few matches, which were pretty easy, and then doing a mission, which required some skill. The "career" in Max Damage is only matches against bots with better cars as you advance.

I'm fairly sure that's still how it works?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It's true there are other game modes in every "set", run over the pedcapture the flag and the like. But it's not like the missions in Carma 2, unless they've changed this recently

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Anyone know if Capitalism or Capitalism II are any good?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bessantj posted:

Anyone know if Capitalism or Capitalism II are any good?

II was fantastic when it came out, albeit ball bustingly hard while you learned the systems. No idea how well it’s aged though.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

II was fantastic when it came out, albeit ball bustingly hard while you learned the systems. No idea how well it’s aged though.

Thanks, as it's on sale I'll give it a go.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

What’s good on this jrpg sale besides legend of heroes?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

What’s good on this jrpg sale besides legend of heroes?

Cosmic Star Heroine has a pretty fun turn-based battle system and mostly throwaway writing. I liked it.

Xanadu Next is a solid dungeon exploring game but has rather simplistic combat and has a slight grind to it. You can play the whole game with mouse only. Threre's just one character, it's not party based.

I'd played like 20 minutes and like two battles of Regalia about 9 months ago and it had bad and cheesy writing but I'm dying for new tactics rpg experiences so I'm probably give it another try again. People seem to think it's okay and probably worth a look if you care about tactics rpgs.

Elminage Gothic is a staight-up old-fashioned dungeon crawler, with all the pro's and con's that come with it. Basically the type of game you know beforehand whether you'll like it or not.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Cross-posting my review of Xanadu Next from the Steam thread since it's a game I'm rather fond of and wouldn't mind hawking to a few more people.

Bad Seafood posted:

Xanadu Next is a neat little game with a lot of character around the corners and a deceptively deep combat system (considering it's all mouse-control). It's very arcade-like with just enough plot for context, so if you're one of those people who're tired of RPGs that never shut up it should be right up your alley. If you're a completionist, however, be prepared to suffer. It's one of those games that expects a lot out of you if you plan to 100% it.

It also does that Souls thing (before Demon's Souls) where a nice lady levels you up (or de-levels you, if that's your thing).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looks like they changed their mind about Opus Magnum.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Close Combat series. https://www.gog.com/news/release_close_combat_series

Quite well-regarded grognardish RTS games.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Three Moves Ahead references the Close Combat games a bunch if you want an expert overview: https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/close-combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

Close Combat series. https://www.gog.com/news/release_close_combat_series

Quite well-regarded grognardish RTS games.

gently caress yes, good poo poo