Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm not sure if this is going to happen. I've been playing around with arx fatalis and it's either 5 fps in menus or blazingly fast that I'm at the end of a long hallway in a split second. There's postings on their forums but no real solution to this speed issue.
I don't have that problem in my game. Do you have a multi core processor? Arx might have problems with that.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I just bought Arx Fatalis and I was just wondering if anyone who have played this could give me some hints regarding character creation? Are there some skills that every character should have?
There are two sections/enemies in the game where you'll pretty much need at least cursory melee skill- Liches, who are nearly invulnerable to magic, and the eighth level of the fortress, where magic doesn't work. There are also a few enemies that are very difficult in melee but die quickly to spells. It's best to be balanced.
Put your STR at 10-12, Dex at 10, then put all your other stat points into Int. You'll want your strength at 12 to use the best weapon in the game, but every level you get earns you 1 stat point and 15 skill points, so your initial configuration isn't so binding as a D&D game or something like that. Don't bother with the intuition ability at all. You don't need your magic skill very high to use powerful spells- it determines the strength of your spells and the likelihood of success for things like "Disable Trap" but you can get by with a 40-50 level skill and still do fine when you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Jetsetlemming posted:

I don't have that problem in my game. Do you have a multi core processor? Arx might have problems with that.

Yeah I have a dual core processor. I changed the affinity to one processor and it doesn't do anything really.

It still doesn't explain the choppiness in the character creation or character stat screen though.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but nothing he mentioned concerning Deus Ex is out of the realm of possibility with DOSbox. The game is currently unplayable on modern systems due to the aforementioned speed issue.

Unplayable on modern AMD systems. Intel Core processors run the processor timestamp counter (RDTSC, which the original Unreal engine stupidly uses for timing) at a constant rate, regardless of core or current clock speed. So, no speed issues there. (Under Linux, this feature is reported in /proc/cpuinfo as the constant_tsc flag.)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

kode54 posted:

Unplayable on modern AMD systems. Intel Core processors run the processor timestamp counter (RDTSC, which the original Unreal engine stupidly uses for timing) at a constant rate, regardless of core or current clock speed. So, no speed issues there. (Under Linux, this feature is reported in /proc/cpuinfo as the constant_tsc flag.)

gently caress, so that's the issue? No wonder considering all my systems are AMD.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

No love for Conquest of the New World? I honestly think it was one of the best colonization games ever. Extremely solid turn-based play on both map and in combat, cool diplomacy (war for independence) and town-building, and playing a Native confederation was awesome, plus lots of options for new games (lots of map types, totally customizable).

Plus the best part, your explorers could discover mountains, rivers, mountain ranges, and regions and you could name them. So you could call them "Huge Cock River" or "Buttfuck Mountain" and it would show up in the game. Oh man, the days of my youth spent playing that game...

I'd assume the one on GOG is COTNW Gold? I might have to grab it.

edit:
Seven Kingdoms (both 1 and 2) were both great games, too. I preferred the first game for some reason (maybe the graphical design), but they were both very solid.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

kode54 posted:

Would disabling the PowerNow! feature in the BIOS for AMD CPUs, thereby stopping the clock speed changes, fix this?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm still jazzed about the new publisher tomorrow. I wonder who it'll be?

Also, Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold tomorrow!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Would disabling the PowerNow! feature in the BIOS for AMD CPUs, thereby stopping the clock speed changes, fix this?
Possibly. You should probably just download the AMD dual-core optimizer, as it is designed to fix the RDTSC problem:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Reverend Stupid
Aug 7, 2003

Charles Martel posted:

redneck rampage stuff

you sir are a god! It works perfect now... just how I remember. I'm going to share this info on the gog forums if you don't mind because a lot of people are still having trouble getting the game working.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nalin posted:

Possibly. You should probably just download the AMD dual-core optimizer, as it is designed to fix the RDTSC problem:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

I've tried it, but it only fixes it for dual-core AMDs and I have one of their single cores with PowerNow. If it won't harm anything, I think I'll try it and post a trip report for anyone else who might need it.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
:siren: Today's releases :siren:

Duke Nukem: Manhatten Project

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold

Not much of a surprise there, but I'm really curious about DN:MP.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 10, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

FLX posted:

Not much of a surprise there, but I'm really curious about DN:MP.

It's okay for a casual platformer, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Manhatten Project is actually a really solid and really good 2D action game. I recommend it. I wouldn't really call it a platformer though. It's basically a Bionic Commando Rearmed version of the first two games.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
What happened to the new publisher announcement? Or is that on thursday?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Mr Pepper posted:

What happened to the new publisher announcement? Or is that on thursday?

Well, apparently Thursday is "announcement day" according to the thread about it, and the popular unofficial word is to wait until this Thursday. I guess we'll see.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Yodzilla posted:

Manhatten Project is actually a really solid and really good 2D action game. I recommend it. I wouldn't really call it a platformer though. It's basically a Bionic Commando Rearmed version of the first two games.
I agree. There's lots of secrets to find and the game's fun.

Gravy100
Oct 24, 2005

WIGWAMBAM!
Has anyone ever played Deus? (From the Robinsons Requiem pack) I'm tempted to give it a punt but I know just how tough and annoying RR is and I'm wondering if the sequel is worth it in any way. If not I quite fancy the look of Manhatten Project.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
I've had an idea to make something like this for months now.

You have literally taken almost every idea from my head and made it real.

If you ever need VC funding, please talk to me (manfrin@gmail.com).

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Manhattan Project is pretty drat good. Suprisingly so, even.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

quakster posted:

It really feels like a Duke Nukem game and I like it that they included the ability to kick :D

I also bought the Earthworm Jim pack and good god is EWJ1 hard! Just like the Oddworld jump'n'runs which I also have to play more often. I'd never have thought that I'd get so addicted to GOG.

Gravy100
Oct 24, 2005

WIGWAMBAM!

quakster posted:

Yeah I remember playing the demo way back and thinking it was really good fun but not buying it due to it not being Duke Nukem Forever, I think alot of people probably did that too.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Manhattan Project is an excellent game, I bought it way back when for about $20 (I think...?), and it came with a cool keychain. I never played past the first level though as I got distracted by other stuff.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sparta posted:

I've had an idea to make something like this for months now.

You have literally taken almost every idea from my head and made it real.

If you ever need VC funding, please talk to me (manfrin@gmail.com).
I don't think there are any GOG people here, are there? It's a CDProjekt thing.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've tried it, but it only fixes it for dual-core AMDs and I have one of their single cores with PowerNow. If it won't harm anything, I think I'll try it and post a trip report for anyone else who might need it.

It does fix the problem of QueryPerformanceCounter querying RDTSC (by adding the /usepmtimer switch to boot.ini), and it also deals with RDTSC being out of sync between cores, but it does not deal with PowerNow! varying the speed of RDTSC.

So, if you intend to play classic Unreal engine games, you should either turn PowerNow! off in the BIOS, or disable it in your OS. For Windows XP, you can set the power profile to Always On instead of Minimal Power Management. Or, under Vista, change the power profile to High performance, which should disable CPU throttling while the system is on AC power.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So, I bought Manhattan Project on a whim today. Somehow I'd never heard of it... and it rules.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
See?? After all those horribly lovely 3rd person Duke Nukem games they finally got one right with Manhattan Project even if it wasn't the game most people wanted.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

kode54 posted:

It does fix the problem of QueryPerformanceCounter querying RDTSC (by adding the /usepmtimer switch to boot.ini), and it also deals with RDTSC being out of sync between cores, but it does not deal with PowerNow! varying the speed of RDTSC.

So, if you intend to play classic Unreal engine games, you should either turn PowerNow! off in the BIOS, or disable it in your OS. For Windows XP, you can set the power profile to Always On instead of Minimal Power Management. Or, under Vista, change the power profile to High performance, which should disable CPU throttling while the system is on AC power.

I've always had Power Management set to Always On, but disabling PowerNow! did fix it. Yay programming decisions that assume hardware architecture will never change. Not as lol-worthy as FFVII PC's "Let's base the speed of plot advancing mini-games on clock speed, to up the difficulty a bit for people with gaming comps", with their average speed being a 433 MHz CPU IIRC, leading to near unplayable speeds on scenes like the motorcycle race on rigs made anytime after 2002 or so.

EDIT: Twitter says THREE new publishers, hell yeah.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 11, 2009

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Charles Martel posted:

So, I just stumbled across this while checking out Apogee's full list of games on Wikipedia: List of Commercial games available as freeware, and...wow! I never knew Abuse, the Dark Sun games, Ground Control, and Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe were now free! I forgot Apogee's Boppin' is now free too.

And with that, I'm going to bed.

Speaking of Dark Sun (and noting GOG's conspicuous lack of AD&D games - hope they fix that soon), you can get the single-player Dark Sun games here. Their forums have tips for DOSbox.

e: How long has Bioware been linked under Developers in the catalog? There are no entries for games of theirs yet and it's not for the Fallout series either - those are under Black Isle. Is this news or have I missed a post in this thread?

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 11, 2009

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

swarthmeister posted:

e: How long has Bioware been linked under Developers in the catalog? There are no entries for games of theirs yet and it's not for the Fallout series either - those are under Black Isle. Is this news or have I missed a post in this thread?

There's Shattered Steel which, by the way, is awesome if a little dated now.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Pandaman posted:

There's Shattered Steel which, by the way, is awesome if a little dated now.

Ah, OK. I clicked on Bioware under the catalog's dev section and there was nothing listed - figured there was a chance it was a pre-announcement update.

e: clicked again and both MDK2 and Shattered Steel show up. I do remember MDK being listed a good while back, so it's half me forgetting MDK's developer and half weird site issues maybe? Maybe there was a filter applied at the time.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 11, 2009

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
oh I think I may have figured out the whole slow down problem for arx fatalis but I don't think I've solved it. It appears to only happen on menu screens with lots of text so I think it's due to the font being too high resolution and therefore the game chops. I had this problem in Gothic 3 and switched the font to the gothic 2 font and solved any choppiness I had. I tried it last night in Arx Fatalis but it crashed. I'll try it again soon to see if it works.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

EDIT: Twitter says THREE new publishers, hell yeah.

GOG's Latest Twitter Teaser posted:

Three (3) new publishers coming to http://gog.com in the next few weeks. Yes, I am a tease. -T

Holy poo poo. No kidding you guys are! :arghfist:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Took a little looking to find, here's the Twitter feed if people are interested:

http://twitter.com/GOGcom

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
One announcement is coming tomorrow.

quote:

No hints about the new deals. We don\'t tease like that. One coming tomorrow!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

quote:

No hints about the new deals. We don\'t tease like that. One coming tomorrow!

Yeah like hinting at three new publishers isn't a huge tease. :mad:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

guppy posted:

Took a little looking to find, here's the Twitter feed if people are interested:

http://twitter.com/GOGcom

Gonna add this to the OP so us goons can stay on the up-and-up.

Edit: Added to the top of the OP.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 11, 2009

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
I really wish when they have announcements like this, they just announce them all at once. For those on a budget, staggering announcements just makes me wait until the last one before I buy something to make sure I get my favorite game if it comes out.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr Pepper posted:

I really wish when they have announcements like this, they just announce them all at once. For those on a budget, staggering announcements just makes me wait until the last one before I buy something to make sure I get my favorite game if it comes out.

Tell that to Nintendo with their Virtual Console.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I just watched Adam Sessler's plug for GoG.com on G4's Attack of the Show (Link: http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/videos/37118/Adam-for-Good-Old-Games.html), and it was pretty cool. He even made a strong suggestion for Requiem: Avenging Angel to be on there. Good call.

Also, bonus kick-rear end Rise of the Triad footage starting at 1:32!

BUY IT YOU FOOLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I finally caved in and bought Rise of the Triad. I'm happy to see that it's still as good as I remember it. Still, the game seems to be having a control problem that I can't wrap my mind around. Sometimes, while shooting or just moving around, the character will start gradually looking downwards towards the floor and I'll have to tap the "Look Up" key to get them to look straight. I don't know if this is some sort of response issue with the mouse, but it's pissing me off. If I could fix that all my issues with the game would be over.

On another note, I hope they offer Blood sometime in the near future. I loved that game.