Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The Journeyman Project games are seriously some of my all-time favorites that I still pull back out and play sometimes, so I've got to chime in here with how awesome it is that GOG picked up Buried in Time.

HVD posted:

arg why would they have Journeyman 2 without the first game?

The first Journeyman game was released on Windows 3.1, and was literally coded by a handful of guys in a garage, so it probably is pretty difficult getting it to run on modern 64-bit OSs.

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Can you jump into Journeyman 2 without having played the first one?

Yes. The game has a bit of a "Here's what happened in the first game" summary in a fake newscast you find near the start of the game, but it isn't necessary. Really all you need to know is:
*Your character works for the Temporal Security Agency
*In the first game some crazy scientist sent a bunch of crazy robots back in time to change history
*You kicked their asses, and thus became Mr. Hero

Even if they did somehow manage to get the first game onto GOG, the sequels are massively better. The first one was one of the first CD adventure games (it actually came out before Myst), and hasn't aged terribly well.

Seriously highly recommend this one to anyone sitting on the fence. It's got a great story, an awesome soundtrack, and has one of the best characters (Arthur) that I've seen in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Quest For Glory II posted:

All I know is the last time an old games service was bought out by a competitor, it was Gametap (by Metaboli). And it transformed Gametap into one of the worst, most unpleasant, horrific, terrible, awful, awful, disturbingly bad Web 2.0 experiences I've ever had.

So as long as GOG doesn't get bought out by Metaboli, IT COULD BE WORSE. And if they ARE bought out by Metaboli, they should just stay shut down. It's a better fate.

THIS.

If GOG comes back bought out by Steam or Impulse, I'll be fine. If they're bought out by someone like Atari, I'll deal. If they're gone for good, I'll be upset that I didn't have a chance to stock up on more games from them, but I'll accept it.

If Metaboli bought them out I'll be PISSED though. I was a mod on the Gametap forum when Metaboli came in and we all thought it'd be an awesome thing, but it turned out to be the worst idea ever conceived. I refuse to support anything they do now.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Thompsons posted:

For those of us who missed out on Gametap, could we get a more in-depth analysis of whatever hilarious buffoonery Metaboli committed?

Under Turner, Gametap had a fancypants client that worked as both a console game emulator (with everything from Atari through Dreamcast games available), and also a launcher for PC games. Certain console titles like the Street Fighter games had online multiplayer available. They had a pretty good collection too, with everything from the newer Tomb Raider titles and the new Sam and Max games from Telltale to obscure titles like Planescape Torment.

Gametap was also the only digital distributor in town to have old-school EA titles like Alpha Centauri and the Wing Commander games. They started to go downhill when their EA contract expired, but the real hammer fell when Metaboli came in.

Metaboli immediately threw out the whole client, and replaced it with a web-based app that just plain out didn't work. It was a bitch to install, and required frequent updates to fix things. It gave random error messages that gave the user no idea what went wrong. Where the old client allowed you to delete games but keep the save files, the web app didn't support that, and Gametap didn't bother saying anything about that, so if you deleted something thinking you'd get to keep the saves, it was gone. Oops.

The webapp also took out a lot of features the larger client had, like the multiplayer console games.

Things seemed cool at first and Metaboli brought some pretty high profile titles to the service, but they also made some really deep cuts to the staff, leaving Gametap with only a skeleton crew. Tech support went from really responsive, both online and by phone, to almost totally non-existant, with the phone line closing and the online support being a ticketing process that took WEEKS to respond. There were also a lot of billing shenanigans.

Eventually the game releases slowed to a trickle, and more and more of Gametap's contracts kept expiring, so now if you look at their site on any given week they usually have more games leaving the catalog than coming in.

They were also really slow to adopt 64-bit support, although like was said earlier that was more their DRM vendor's fault. Even then, they only started converting titles to 64-bit at like one or two a week, out of a library of about 600 that needed it.

TLDR version is that pre-Metaboli Gametap = :c00lbert: , post-Metaboli Gametap = :bang:

I so hope that they don't get their paws on GOG now.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
EDIT: Dammit you guys beat me to it

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Gerry Saddams posted:

It looks like Atari bought them out, since they have Baldurs Gate and I noticed Master of Orion 3 in the background as-well. (and yes I'm sure it was 3, not 1 or 2.)

MOO3: a true classic!

I just hope that its a sign that Atari has signed over most of their back catalogue to gog, because Atari are loving terrible, Valve buyout/partnership or a relaunch is what I'm hoping for.

While Baldur's Gate would be new (and doesn't Interplay still own publishing rights to the original titles?), MOO3 had already been on the service for a few months now before they took the site down, so I don't see why that indicates an Atari buyout.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

This isn't a brick and mortar store where Valve buys x copies of a game and then resells them at a higher price. Think of Steam more like eBay, except the auctioneers are the publishers and everything is Buy It Now. Valve gets a cut for each transaction but ultimately the publishers decide what goes on Steam (so long as it meets their quality standards, which games like Fort Zombie did not) and at what price it is.

That doesn't seem completely feasible to me, because that would mean anytime that Steam had a big sale (like Christmas, or the Summer one), that they'd have to get price approval for every single game from every single publisher involved in the sale, which strikes me as a HUGE PITA, so I would imagine that Valve has somewhere buried in the contract that they can adjust the price.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

quakster posted:

Funny thing. They actually do have to get approval.

loving hell. I'm glad its their business and not mine then. I don't know how any sane person would want to go through THAT minefield.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Elias_Maluco posted:

Then why all the vague updates to make it looks like they are shutting down? Why no direct word "No worries, people! Is just an update, will be back in a soon with exciting new stuff". Why the mysterious video?

Is either a stunt (most probably), incapacity to communicate clearly (unlikely), or they really shut down (the video is almost proof that they did not).

If it is some sort of business acquisition/takeover/change-of-hands that would explain it. They can't say anything to the public without informing their shareholders of that sort of thing first.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Elias_Maluco posted:

Then why take the site offline?

To go back to when Gametap was taken over by Metaboli, Gametap was offline for a day or two in the transition because they were moving from Turner's network to Metaboli's. Could be the same situation here.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

xarph posted:

I wouldn't say that they refused to support 64-bit, more like the DRM wrapper they used on all the windows games (I want to say it was from a company called Excel, but searching for 'excel drm' just comes up with tons of people using the wrong tool for the job) couldn't support 64-bit windows.

Exent. Exent was Gametap's original DRM provider. All PC games that support 64-bit were encoded by another vendor named Yummy. (Whose DRM was far superior since it supported modding as well.)

macnbc fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 22, 2010

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dominic White posted:

This is ridiculous. They're acting like they've just played the best prank in the world.

This wasn't a prank. It was 4chan level trolling. Lying, then waiting a few days, then going 'OLOL I lied u mad?' isn't a joke. It's a desperate, sad cry for attention.

Kinda agree. I mean, I'm not angry about it, and I'm definitely still going to continue to go to them as a customer, but there are totally better ways of going about this.

Even a couple hours of heads-up for people to download what they had bought would've been awesome. Also, what about the people who were about to jump on that Codemasters 60% off sale that was still going on? What about those who might've just done that, but hadn't downloaded their purchases yet? (Were people who were in the process of downloading stuff cut off?)

If it were me in charge right now, I'd set up like a "25% off everything we have! We're sorry!" sale for the week. That way they get to roll in the cash, and people feel somewhat compensated for the downtime.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BadAstronaut posted:

(From what I understand, GOG will either create a new account with a copy of BG in it, or credit an existing account with a copy).

In the past when GOG's given away games it comes in the form of a promo code you redeem like if you gift someone a game, so they'll probably do that again.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
This makes me :xd: at how they were bragging in their videos about how much faster they made the site and how many more users they could support.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So unrelated to all this stuff going on, I've noticed some conflicting statements on the version of Riven on GOG and was wondering if anyone here has it and could clear something up..

In the OP here, it says that GOG has the DVD version of the game, but I've read from others both on the GOG forum and on Myst forums that GOG has the CD version of the game and Steam has the DVD version.

I already own the CD version of Riven, but I'd be really tempted to buy a copy of the DVD version designed to work on newer computers. I'd prefer GOG for DRM reasons if possible, but I'll take what I can get..

So anybody own it who can comment?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The GOG version is also designed to work on newer computers.

I know that, really the reason why I'm looking for the DVD version is because it had better-quality video files than the CD version. I can fiddle with my old copy to make it work ok on my PC, but if I can get a version that makes it easier AND look better, I'll jump.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Doesn't GOG normally post their weekend sales by now?

I wonder if they're skipping one this week.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I think GOG doesn't like me for some reason since the relaunch. I bought Gabriel Knight 3 from them yesterday, and it took me straight to a blank white page. No confirmation page, no confirmation e-mail. It showed up in my library though so I guess it went through.

Now even though I'm signed up to get promo emails and stuff for them, I haven't seen this Hasbro e-mail you guys are posting here.

Why the hate, GOG?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

njark posted:

hey, i was just looking for an opinion on the longest journey, it sounds like a really interesting adventure game is it any good? i already beat all my games in my current library besides Arx Fatalis but i just bought that so yeah.

Another "yes" for Longest Journey. If I had to rank my all-time favorite games, TLJ would be #2 on the list.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

zedprime posted:

Dreamfall is of the new adventure game mold. Its not bad but it literally doesn't have an ending and the sequel is reaching Duke Nukem Forever levels of development hell.

I wouldn't say that.. the Dreamfall developers have been pretty open that they're not working on the sequel right now and they're all focused on "The Secret World" MMO at the moment. Not at all like Duke Nukem Forever where it was in "active development" for over a decade.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Guy Axlerod posted:

I'm pretty sure they have a US based processor, as I would have gotten foreign transaction fees if they didn't.

Negative. My wife got charged foreign transaction fees when she bought games from GOG. I didn't for my games for whatever reason.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So GOG recently posted to Twitter:

"Oh, tomorrow should be fun!"

Let the rampant speculation commence.

I predict multiple game releases. Maybe both the Icewind Dale games at once.

Or maybe it just means the normal one game release and they're just teasing us. Who knows.

EDIT: They also said "No weekend sale last weekend. Keep an eye on the site :)" recently, so maybe a big sale is coming?

macnbc fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 27, 2010

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

tentaclesex posted:

Something about GoG really stimulates my poor decisions gland. I bought Phantasmagoria and A Puzzle of Flesh. Those games weren't even good when they were new!

I think the main reason to own Phantasmagoria was so that you can claim that stack of discs was one loving game.

GOG takes all the fun out of that.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

sethsez posted:

Master of Orion 2 is the best game on GoG, and that's including the last few games they've released.

Journeyman Project 2 says no. :colbert:

Master of Orion 1 and 2 are close behind it though. It's one of the few games I can sit down and play a round of year after year after year after year..

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
New releases are typically every Tuesday (with sometimes ones on Thursdays as well).. so.. maybe tomorrow? Or maybe next week.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
It hasn't been posted on the front page yet, but here's this weekend's promo. A link was posted on the forums:

Pretty good selection for 50% off:
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/community_favourites

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hemish posted:

How's the Longuest Journey version on GoG? Did they add widescreen mods? I have that game on Steam and could never get it to work perfectly... let alone on Windows 7.

Longest Journey is a game with pre-rendered backgrounds, so I'm not sure why you'd want a widescreen mod, since you'd just be cutting the top and bottom off rather than actually adding anything to the sides. I don't think one exists.

I've heard some people say that the GOG version has issues with Win7 but seems to work fine for me.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megadyptes posted:

So is Syberia any good? How does it compare to The Longest Journey? Bought TLJ a few years back and thought it was pretty neat.

I've played both... I would say that Syberia is a "good" game, and TLJ is an "awesome" game. They're both pretty creative and entertaining in their own way, but TLJ has the stronger writing and world creation.

I'd still recommend it, though.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

rt4 posted:

I haven't played any new adventure games since the bygone era of the SCUMM system and I'm finding Syberia to be quite enjoyable. Give it a go!

Oh, wow.

You really need to add The Longest Journey and pretty much anything by Telltale Games (even if they aren't GOG games) to your playlist.

There's been a lot of good adventure games released in the last decadeish.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 2, 2010

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I still think its hilarious that EA won't play ball for whatever reason (cost, DRM, etc.) when Ubisoft, king of restrictive DRM, is a GOG partner.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
A little off-topic, but to cap off the discussion that was had about GameTap and its fate a few pages back, Joystiq says their Atlanta HQ is being shut down and they may rebrand with a different name.

RIP Gametap. You were pretty cool 3 years ago. :angel:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Even if you only get them at 30% off, anyone who doesn't get Master of Orion1+2 and Master of Magic is insane.

INSANE, I TELL YOU! :holy:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
It's probably System Shock 2, but if I were making the list, it would be Wing Commander.

(Though the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series was good too..)

Yay 200 pages!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rascyc posted:

I'm pretty sure that wanted list is an outdated feature at this point. Think they took the links down to it a few months ago, although the page can still be directly linked if you know the URL/Google for it.

They did, but here's the weird thing.. they've been updating it more after its been hidden than when it was visible.

For example, before Outcast hit the service, it was #9 on the list, but it stayed on the list even after the game was added, straight until the site revamp.

Now they've been removing games from the list as they've been added to the service consistently the last few weeks.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

swarthmeister posted:

Community / General discussion / Welcome, please read!

It's the "Games Wishlist" link. I've been there nearly two years and never found it any other way. Never really used their forums either, aside from that sticky.

Prior to the site relaunch it was on the lower right-hand corner of the front page, buried under the recently added list.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So has GOG given up on the whole new-games-on-Tuesdays schedule? There wasn't anything today and I feel like it's been a few weeks since they actually added something on a Tuesday.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
My approach on GOG games:

If it's a game I know for an absolute fact that I will like (one I've always been meaning to play, one I used to own but have lost for whatever reason, reasons like that) = I'll buy it right away

If it's one where I'm not sure if I'll like it or not, but I'm interested enough to consider = Wait for a sale

I know it's completely irrational, but I hate the idea of paying full price for a game that I later end up loathing.. but if it's on sale, even if it's just a buck or two, that makes it a little less of a "risk" in my mind. "Hey, that game kinda sucked, but at least I didn't pay full price for it", you know?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rascyc posted:

It passed committee, still has to go through House/Senate, prediction: will get torn apart.

It's effectively dead already.

Basically, it's completely dead for this year, and it would have to be reintroduced to committee all over again next year.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ravenger posted:

I can confirm this. A couple of games I worked on are on GOG, and there's no way I'll be getting any payments or royalties for them. What's even stranger is that an ex-boss of mine who I know owns as least part of the rights to the IP of the games wasn't even told they were going on GOG, and hasn't recieved any payment for them either!

So make no mistake, most developers of games on GOG won't get a penny of your money. But I'd much rather something I worked on all those years ago was available for sale and worked on modern machines, and more importantly was being played and enjoyed again. (More money would be nice though!).

While that is true for a lot of the bigger publisher games, there are also a significant number of games on GOG that are now being self-published by their original creators (Tex Murphy, Myst, Journeyman Project 2, etc.), so it really varies game to game I'd imagine.

I also think there's a valid point to be made in giving money back to the original publishers.. it's making a statement that you want more games like that.

If Ubisoft sees that Beyond Good & Evil is getting a lot of sales on GOG and Steam, maybe they'll push some more funds towards BG&E2 development..

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Update to the 14 days of Christmas thingamajig..

Serious Sam 1 is now permanently $5.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
This is the first GOG sale I've seen where I already own all of them.

Highly recommend both Journeyman and Longest Journey.

Journeyman 2 at $2.99 is a loving steal. It's a first-person adventure game with really great atmosphere, smart puzzle design, and one of the funniest characters I've seen put in a game (Arthur).

macnbc fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 3, 2010