Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Casao posted:

Big question here, does GOG allow re-downloads like Steam, or is it a one time use like iTunes? Because of the DRM, I'd imagine the latter, which is a bit of an annoyance.

what DRM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

fallout2 has worked perfectly for me in vista64, the original fallout1 i couldn't get running in vista64 because it's 16bit, but the GOG version works great

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Veib posted:

I'm getting Brotherhood of Steel because it's the only Fallout I don't have, but I'm not sure about a second game because I already have most of the interesting ones. So far I'm thinking it's going to be either Giants: Citizen Kabuto or Sacrifice. Any opinions, comments, recommendations etc. for those two?

Sacrifice and Giants are both kind of similar in that they are goofy games that make a serious effort to bend their respective genres. Sacrifice is an RTS game that controls like an action RPG (You are a mage! who summons dudes and fights with them), while Giants is more of a classic story-based action game. Sorry, I remember enjoying Giants when I was young but I don't remember anything about it.

Question - has anyone gotten Sacrifice multiplayer to work? My friends and I are considering buying it but if we can't play Sacrifice together we'd rather get a different game.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 2, 2009

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

FLX posted:

Disciples II is kind of like Heroes of Might & Magic, right?

except a darker atmosphere and ridiculously harder

but the basic gameplay elements are the same, yes

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I mean, Disciples combat is about as similar to Final Fantasy as it is to Heroes.

There are 6 slots in your army, arranged like this:

YX
YX
YX

normal creatures are sized X: some larger creatures are size YX

whatever creature is on the X is in front; creatures in the Y are 'behind' the creatures on the X, so they can't get hit by melee unless there's no melee in front.

It's a lot harder to explain than see, so here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi6E632bHBo

(poor sound quality courtesy of youtube, not the game)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i'm not anything close to a gun nut but JA1.13 has ruined me for FPSs that purport to give you a large choice of weapons, especially guns that have picatinny rails modeled but not used (BAD COMPANY 2 RAWRGH)

also ammo-mix-and-matching

basically what i'm saying is everything i know about guns i learned from JA1.13

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Nafrodite posted:

So from the feedback here, I'm sold on Jagged Alliance 2, but is Disciples II worth picking up as well?

Disciples II is like a HOMM3 that, instead of having fun together in the sand, would rather rape you in the rear end.

So, I suppose it comes down to if you like being raped in the rear end by a dark, gothic (not goth) diablo-esque HOMM3.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

If you think you're at all exempt or uninfluenced by advertising then you are completely unaware of the way advertising works. But that's about the norm, since that's the whole goal of modern advertising.

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/bernprop.html

quote:

If, for instance, I want to sell video games, it is not sufficient to blanket the country with a direct appeal, such as:

"YOU, buy a GOG video game now! It is cheap. The best gamers play them. It will last for years."

The claims may all be true, but they are in direct conflict with the claims of other game sellers, and in indirect competition with the claims of a radio or a motor car, each competing for the consumer's dollar.

What are the true reasons why the purchaser is planning to spend his money on a new car instead of on a new game? Because he has decided that he wants the commodity called locomotion more than he wants the commodity called game? Not altogether. He buys a car, because it is at the moment the group custom to buy cars.

The modern propagandist therefore sets to work to create circumstances which will modify that custom. He appeals perhaps to the home instinct which is fundamental. He will endeavor to develop public acceptance of the idea of a game room in the home. This he may do, for example, by organizing an exhibition of video game systems designed by well known manufacturers who themselves exert an influence on the buying groups. He enhances the effectiveness and prestige of these systems by putting in them rare and exotic materials, like Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Then, in order to create dramatic interest in the exhibit, he stages an event or gathering. To this ceremony key people, persons known to influence the buying habits of the public, such as a famous designer, a popular artist, and a well-respected manufacturer, are invited. These key persons affect other groups, lifting the idea of the video game system to a place in the public consciousness which it did not have before. The juxtaposition of these leaders, and the idea which they are dramatizing, are then projected to the wider public through various publicity channels. Meanwhile, influential architects have been persuaded to make the music room an integral architectural part of their plans with perhaps a specially charming niche in one corner for the video game. Less influential architects will as a matter of course imitate what is done by the men whom they consider masters of their profession. They in turn will implant the idea of the game room in the mind of the general public.

The game room will be accepted because it has been made The Thing. And the man or woman who has a game room, or has arranged a corner of the parlor as a game corner, will naturally think of buying a game. It will come to him as his own idea.

Under the old salesmanship the manufacturer said to the prospective purchaser, "Please buy a game." The new salesmanship has reversed the process and caused the prospective purchaser to say to the manufacturer, "Please sell me a game."

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 1, 2010

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Swamp Zero posted:

That's also the response I'd get from a genius rapist hedge fund manager or other type of criminal.

I don't get if you're defending it, just challenging my knowledge of the subject (why?), which admittedly isn't that much, or just being excited about something you learned and want to talk about it. I don't have to "think about it", I already thought about it a long time ago, and so have most people around here. I know it sounds exciting but it isn't really all that complicated to get the general idea.

Also no, you're incorrect about the second part of your post. There is a difference in me bumping the thread or someone posting twitter advertisements. I am, and everyone else in this thread, is interested in GOG. He is, you could say, explicitly subscribed to the subject matter. A random dude on your twitter list isn't.

hey. hey guy. read my post. the post that talks about advertising? that post. read it, guy.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

I'm not reading it unless you put it on a shirt.

I'd totally wear a GOG shirt, free games or not.

i don't know why it's so hard to access from the front page (i had to google it) but they totally have a merch store with shirts and mousepads and poo poo: click

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

hilarious:

Fitted T-Shirt
$16.99

Dark Fitted T-Shirt
$22.99

+$6 for an american apparel namedrop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I doubt they make much of anything from shirt sales, but if they wanted to encourage *me* to buy a shirt, they'd wrap a GOG-boxed copy of the game of my choice in it. It took me a few weekend afternoons to make my own DVD covers, I'd think their resident Photoshop expert could crack one out in an hour or two.

Package that up with a printed manual of 100 pages or less, make it a one-time-only special, and you have yet another thing that David can do that Goliath can't.

Not gonna happen, I know, but I miss boxed games and pack-ins :(

the reason gog.com doesn't do this isn't because they don't think it's neat but because creating and shipping actual physical things would raise their costs astronomically