Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dominoes posted:

I never found a real fix for the rainbow graphics glitch, but a way to avoid it is restarting the game until it's gone if the bug is present in the menus. I had to lower my mouse refresh rate to the minimum to keep the mouse cursor from being jittery.

Hearing this reminds me of graphical glitches that would occur in old games when switching to their native resolutions and color depth. Usually, they would correct themselves without issue. Or, if you tried to take a screenshot of a game that ran in 256 colors, it would be all rainbowy because it depends on a limited color palette. Try manually setting your resolution to and/or color depth to 256 colors and see if that fixes it. You can use multires for doing this quickly.

Failing that, maybe run the games in a virtualized Win98?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I bought Painkiller via GOG for a second playthrough, and I heartily support the above opinions. For a slightly older game, it's utterly gorgeous.

To amuse myself further while playing I've been trying to figure out a 'story' for each level. Dante's trilogy was filled to the brim with allegory, and so I'm forcing my own boorish literary ideas onto the levels. What does each locale say about that part of purgatory and the inhabitants you're slaughtering?

So far, though, the level with the finest story, if not the most horrific visuals is the Town. Something like The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Why in the hell this game doesn't have co-op multi is a terrible mystery.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

For Painkiller: PowerMad cheat scripts

http://www.kalme.de/painkiller/index.php/content/view/22/39/

Having a pretty powerful computer, and a natural bloodlust, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't possible to employ the "pkkeepbodies" cheat on the higher difficulty levels. This cheat, entered into the console, keeps bodies from disappearing, resulting in a growing mound of corpses as you play through a level. A necessary thing, in my humble opinion.

I searched for a couple days before applying for help on the Dreamcatcher forums, and I was pointed to the link above. The install package creates a few new scripts within Painkiller, which enables you to use any documented cheat, and quite a few undocumented ones. Want the full tarot deck? Done. Want to transform into a demon anytime you like? Done! Want to map any cheat to a set of hotkeys? Done!

The scripts have worked flawlessly for me so far. Of course, you download and use at your own risk.

Enjoy!

Also, just bought MDK2.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

re: ^^^

Wow, that's really pretty atrocious. I'm kind of disappointed. As a legal owner of the game, I have no moral delimma with obtaining the higher-quality versions of the music, if you're able to find a way.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fallom posted:

There can't be any reason the GOG guys would have a problem with Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire would they? Are the rights still owned by Firaxis, some of the coolest dudes in the business?

I'd love to think this. I mean, I already have SMAC, and have played it as much as I'm going to, but it would excite me in horrible ways to have this game re-released. I'd love for it to take off like wildfire with a new generation of game players and get Firaxis on track to work a proper sequel with a brilliant and moddable AI. I would like this so much it virtually guarantees that it will never happen.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You're not the only one.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've actually been playing the GOG version of Arx Fatalis recently, it's a bit creaky but somehow quite likeable anyway. It's like a pocket version of Morrowind, a little civilization complete with secrets, mythology and cities, but without much sprawling. It's like opening a jewelry case in your grandmother's house and finding a secret room you never knew about.

The game is patched up a little past the original, which may have been done to address compatibility issues. I'm not really sure what the patch level addressed, however.

It does not run in a wrapper, you may have gotten that idea from the fact that GOG uses the open source DOSBox to run many of its old games, but this one runs on its own. Even at this level, it is not completely bug-free, for me, on some levels saves take a really long time to load, EAX doesn't work, and the game ignores my anti-aliasing settings half the time. Nothing too huge, but minor annoyances nonetheless.

If you're concerned, you might address the GOG forum. Registering an account is free whether you buy the games or not, so you can post and socialize at will.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

angryblackguy posted:

Also, for people playing the game you'll notice these little crystal like stones scattered in a few places. DO NOT PICK THEM UP (and if you do DO NOT DISCARD THEM IN A HARD TO REACH PLACE). The stones are used to unlock the last level in the game and, guess, what? If you lose them, you're screwed completely.

Hey, that's not the only bug by a long shot. I took on a rescue side quest just yesterday that for some reason, when completed, it re-set the behavior of everyone in Arx, the guards, Lunshire, etc. all refer to me as though they've met me for the first time. The guards would then attack me if I entered the royal area, making further progress useless.

The last time I tried the gameout was three years ago, then, I made the mistake of exploring too much, found myself among the Sisters of Ederneum, who were then permenantly activated as hostiles, making later progress impossible. I gave up and moved onto another game.

Seriously, I'm wondering if this game actually wants to be completed.

So tell me, are you referring to the 'clear' gems that appear embedded in the walls everywhere in the troll area and in the grayish caverns before reaching Arx? Or something else?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

thedaian posted:

I was just thinking about Startopia. Not sure who holds the rights, though. It'd be a perfect game for this, having been under appreciated when it first came out, but being patched a bit to allow for custom maps and more options, and for $10 it's a great choice.

I got the CD version a while back from Amazon, and it's such a fun game in the vein of Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital.

Funny, I just thought of this game and reinstalled it and the teensy handful of mods for it (http://www.strategyplanet.com/startopia/). What aweseome fun. I remember just perching on the shoulders of a visiting alien and following him from room to room, so I could tailor my dungeon space station to his needs.

The site http://www.rakrent.com/rtsc/rtsc_startopia.htm also contains an interesting and thorough excavation of Startopia's workings from a manager's viewpoint.

This game deserved an expansion pack so much it's mildly painful.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 3, 2009

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Overwined posted:

Isn't this game where you can pop up a console window and watch the AI's thinking process churn away. A friend of mine had this (or that) game and it was breathtaking to watch decisions whirr away at an alarming rate.

Most chess engines have this feature. What's helpful is after a few seconds, you start to see the decision tree line up in order of rank of what the chess engine thinks is the best move sequence. I'm not sure if Chessmaster has this per se, but the Fritz engine (a version of which is also available for a tenner) also will give you plain language reasoning after the move sequence; "Develops white's bishop," or "harasses black's pawn," for example.

I've also seen Chessmaster 10 available at Fry's for ten bucks in a jewel case edition. It might be worth waiting a bit to see if UbiSoft authorizes GOG to sell 10; it's a lot prettier. But it'd be a dick move to sell 9000 and withold selling 10 until they thought they'd sold as many as possible.

Also, it's worth noting that any chess engine will wipe the floor with just about anyone not playing chess competitively. For normal shlubs like us, it's more important that the game 'play down' to our level, giving us a challenge without murdering us or making us feel like it's so obviously giving away pieces to artificially even things out. The good news is that Chessmaster does this pretty well, though I can't speak specifically for the 9000 product.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

RiffRaff1138 posted:

There's actually a more faithful PC fan-port of Doom 64. Of course, it requires you to have a ROM of the N64 version to generate the IWAD...

There's also a GZDoom port of PSX Doom.

Wow, thank you for this! I remember turning the lights out, playing this game on my electronics-store-employee purchased sound system, and playing until 2 in the morning. Never finished it, now's my chance! Doom64 really was the rightful heir of the sprite-based Doom series.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Startopia, in particular, could use a resurgence in mod interest. And Tropico, hell, that'd be worth it just to get my hands on the soundtrack.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Honestly, if the GOG folks ever did read the wishlist, its length and retard levels present would have turned them off long ago. At this point, it's mainly a distracting doohickie for members and nothing more.

Betting World of Warcraft is on there somewhere.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've said it before, but with Painkiller, you must download the PowerMad script, map some the following cheats to hotkeys, and watch the bodies pile up:

- pkkeepbodies
- pkkeepdecals

These cheats will also work on the console without PowerMad, but not in the Trauma difficulty, where they make the most sense. Since souls do not appear on this difficulty, why have the bodies disappear at all? Pile 'em up!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That's odd, I thought that the first (and redundantly titled) Divine Divinity was the better game. And it's the cheaper?

If I play any CRPG anytime soon, it'll be Morrowind, but there's a definite appeal to Divine Divinity's old school look. And I hear it's huge.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sanitarium! I remember this game from an old Eidos demo disk that came with Omikron or Thief 2.

Browsing GOG sometimes is like browsing CompUSA back when I had a 100 Mhz Pentium, looking for $10 Gold Box bargains. You never knew what arcane old stuff you would find (or whether it would run). EA has got to unsquinch its little rear end in a top hat someday and let some of those old EA, Origin, and Eidos titles out of the vault.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I stand corrected, but I still want my old games, dammit. I can't get Thief 2 to run properly on my current system, and would gladly pay again for a GOG version that worked.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If this is true, then it goes without saying that it will continue to be this way, as long as no idiot blog joyfully trumpets the news out to the greater web. Which is pretty unlikely, since anyone whom this would affect likely already knows about it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I bought Arcanum years ago. Though I never finished it, and it's not currently installed, I still have the .iso files on my drive, and a backup copy, and the original discs. All the same, I'd be thrilled to see this game on GOG and have some attention on it again. Might even get me to start another playthrough.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I kinda thought they might do something like this. With their catalog, an 11th hour fire sale makes sense, given that they are competing with other services offering more recent, AAA titles. The spare change that folks have left to spend on themselves or that one gamer they know can't help but be spent now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm a huge fan of Arcanum in general, but also agree that it doesn't warrant a dramatic countdown. This either has to be something bigger, either a bigger game or a new games publisher, or someone in marketing just said, "We're using a timer for the next announcement, regardless of how big it is." Plus, it's hard to apply "unexcelled" to Arcanum. Even though I haven't seen a game world quite like Arcanum's it isn't a paragon of perfection to have earned the title "unexcelled," the base game definitely had its problems. This is especially so compared to the Fallout titles that still manage to climb into the top ten bestseller slots on GOG.

Well, anyway, hoping for something big. I'm hoping against hope for System Shocks 1 and 2. I have them both, but also have the irrational need to purchase them again if they show up on GOG.

Fake edit: pun unintended.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Even with all its issues, and having to hunt out balance patches for Arcanum, and the dog companion's terrible howl, six bucks isn't bad.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I use PStart to gather games together into little anal-retentive lists:

pegtop.net/start

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Doesn't Microsoft own those titles? Question answered.

Seriously though, I've seen AoE I and II bundles in budget jewel cases at WalMart for $9.99. Not sure if they're DRM-laden, but it seems unlikely.

E: Beaten.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm not currently playing it, but I recall that even when it was published, it was unapologetically primitive, even in the cutscenes.

Yeah, that's no answer at all, I know, but it won't be long before my will bends and I'm buying it myself. I played the demo to death on a sluggish machine and can't wait for the chance to play it and spam CB poetry until it becomes boring.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

No mention of Spelunky, tsk tsk. Spelunky dominated 2009 for me as innovative and fun game of the year. Anything that takes the best bits of roguelikes and shoehorns them into something this accessible, but still punishingly difficult earns my respect. It's free on the PC, and a for-pay XBLA version is in the works.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If it is a DOS game, then isn't it also possible to run it in windowed mode?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Blood is the best Build engine game ever made, and I include Duke Nukem in that estimation. I remember being thrilled that I could crank the resolution to 800x600 on my Pentium Pro.

This is awesome. How was the multiplayer for Blood? I never got a chance.

And I don't have a credit card in hand for it yet, but still have a need to place MOO1+2 in a cart anyway.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DOSBox is fairly open, I'm sure there's a config file in there somewhere, where you can toggle fullscreen-on-startup.

Also, I got me some MoO 2 too. :buddy:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Any must-have fan patches for MoO2, or should a new guy just stick to the base game?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

tentaclesex posted:

This bugs me in a ton of games. Even in war games where you're supposed to be commanding a loving battalion of dudes, you end up having to tell individual soldiers when to crouch or switch weapons. What the crap? How about a game where you make decisions appropriate to your command level?

I don't really play RTS games so I can't say to what extent this already exists, but in AI War (non-gog RTS massive fleets-o-ships game), you can basically dictate a general behavior you want your ships to follow, optionally a route of destruction, and then can move on to other things. If anything, it's an interesting experiment in seeing how the developer has been reacting to users and helping them with game mechanics allowing them to fluidly control thousands of units in a meaningful way.

And I completely agree with AxeM on "gently caress this" micromanagement, but I'm willing to argue that it isn't that my brain is too small to comprehend layers and layers of management, it's just no drat fun to me. I'm really looking forward to playing MoO, if only because I might be finally 'coming home' to a 4X that's designed the way I like to play.

As for SC2000 and SC3K, the underground wasn't that tough to deal with, it was almost completely optional. You can completely ignore subways, and water mains have an 'area of effect' in which they saturate a wide are with water coverage.

And I know that I can buy X-COM UFO Defense on Steam for cheapsies right now, but what I really want is to see it on my GOG shelf. The holy trinity of turn-based gamery: MoO, Jagged Alliance 2, and X-COM. Wanna throw them all on a single DVD and make a custom DVD case cover for 'em.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's a certain sense of ownership that GOG gives me that I don't have with Steam, and it goes beyond the little bookshelf they give you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Overwined posted:

I'm thinking that someone should make a new MoO 1/2 thread now that both of these games are available commercially for the first time in forever. I would like to suggest "MoO 1&2: Oh no! my planetz!" as a thread title.

If there's enough interest I'll throw something together.

Jimlad posted:

I agree! I've just been playing MoO2 and wow, it holds up way better than I expected. I actually think I understand more of it too, since back when I was a kid some of the stuff like morale and how production was calculated went a bit over my head. I still don't get how to do the battle sections properly though, like how to tell if my ships are in range, or why 5x missiles might be better/worse than 20x missiles. Anyone got any tips?

Seconded.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

and, for two whole days. Each!

I'm not going to sneer too hard at them just yet, but if they are going to enforce a 2-day-only playtime on their first games, some form of DRM must be present, either a steam-like overmind app, or a time-bombed installation.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Whew. Gimp is decently powerful, but such a dog to work with. All my current GOG games fit on four DVDs, and even a 4-DVD case just looks ghetto without a cover, so...

If anyone's interested, I'll upload the 300 DPI Gimp XCF to Mediafire. Be warned, it'll still be some work to get your own game collection on there just right, but you get what you pay for.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember looking at development screenshots for MoOIII and thinking it looked absolutely drool-worthy. I couldn't wait to get my hands dirty with micromanaging a galactic empire. Though I never played the game, it's terribleness was legend.

One sympathetic, yet honest, review of the game is on a good old site I used to refer to for Startopia strategy stuff: http://www.rakrent.com/rtsc/rtsc_moo3.htm

Speaking of which, Startopia needs to be on GOG, badly. This was a game you could mod with a spreadsheet, it's a shame it never got the fan or full development attention it really deserved.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AxeManiac posted:

And introducing a 2.99 price point for rear end old dos games.

I would support this like a madman. I wouldn't pay $6 for an Infocom game, especially when most of them are freely available one way or another, and I'm just a casual fan, but I'd put up $3 for a GOG-packaged copy of A Mind Forever Voyaging.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Back when I was into Startopia, I downloaded all the fan missions from Startopia Post, the two bonus missions created by Mucky Foot, some pretty interesting little engine cheats, and some other stuff, and archived it all. It's here if you're interested: http://www.mediafire.com/?njmkujzjjlj

Also, Startopia Post is still up and running, believe it or not: http://www.strategyplanet.com/startopia/ Most of what's in my old archive is probably still sitting in the back shelves of FilePlanet.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looks like Mark Morgan remastered the original Fallout 1+2 soundtracks:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/05/11/atomic-fallout-music-remastered/

He's givin' 'em away. Genuine class. No more listening to the original converted ACMs for me, or sittin' in the dirt at the drive ins.

...And the site's witholding downloads for now. Can anyone provide a reliable mirror?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AxeManiac posted:

I found an old disc with the collection on it, going to try 4, then 7.

I found a bunch of rear end old DOS games, Alley Cat, Skyroads, Apogee stuff, just amazing old games (most abandonware floppy disk games) and running it through dosbox ain't bad, but if they released packs of these old pre 486 games, I'd totally buy them.

Alleycat probably isn't the original minigame game, but it is in my heart. Played that on my brother's IBM PS/2, gettin' shocked by electric eels...