Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but nothing he mentioned concerning Deus Ex is out of the realm of possibility with DOSbox. The game is currently unplayable on modern systems due to the aforementioned speed issue.

Unplayable on modern AMD systems. Intel Core processors run the processor timestamp counter (RDTSC, which the original Unreal engine stupidly uses for timing) at a constant rate, regardless of core or current clock speed. So, no speed issues there. (Under Linux, this feature is reported in /proc/cpuinfo as the constant_tsc flag.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've tried it, but it only fixes it for dual-core AMDs and I have one of their single cores with PowerNow. If it won't harm anything, I think I'll try it and post a trip report for anyone else who might need it.

It does fix the problem of QueryPerformanceCounter querying RDTSC (by adding the /usepmtimer switch to boot.ini), and it also deals with RDTSC being out of sync between cores, but it does not deal with PowerNow! varying the speed of RDTSC.

So, if you intend to play classic Unreal engine games, you should either turn PowerNow! off in the BIOS, or disable it in your OS. For Windows XP, you can set the power profile to Always On instead of Minimal Power Management. Or, under Vista, change the power profile to High performance, which should disable CPU throttling while the system is on AC power.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Also, just bought MDK2.

Too bad the music in the PC version is in a crappy downsampled format. I have a nice update pack that fixes the problem, as well as a few other glitches in the music, but I don't really have any permission from GOG.com or anyone else to redistribute the sound files. (or the modified executable to play them at the correct sample rate)

I suppose I could put up a private torrent on alluvion, but I don't really want to get my GOG.com account banned, even if I haven't made any purchases yet. (I already have an OEM MDK 2 CD that came with my old Sound Blaster Live! card. Lord knows why they bothered to downsample the music, even the full rate ACM files still fit on a single 74 minute CD.)

EDIT: Scratch that, forgot alluvion has a rule against posting content without permission. I suppose I could make an installer that requires all of the original files to be present.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 22, 2009

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Charles Martel posted:

If you wanted to, I'd be interested in it. :) I never knew the MDK2 music was borked like that.

Yeah, one of the tracks even plays for about a minute, then there's a loud POP, then it starts over again, then it plays through completely. As if it was digitally recorded from one machine to another, and then a minute in, the source stops and restarts. I fixed that, as well as a few that have pops at the start. And of course, the downsampling problem, fixed with a rip from the Dreamcast version.

Disregarding the pops and that one track with the repeat (track11a.acm, play with foo_adpcm or your favorite ACM plug-in), all ports except the Dreamcast version have problems with the soundtrack.

The PC version has downsampled 22KHz music, and the decoder doesn't clip samples that exceed the 16-bit range, so they wrap and make loud popping sounds. (My music pack also has all affected tracks peak scaled so they don't trigger this bug.)

The PS2 version has a mono downmix. Boo, mono.

Anyway, I wrote an installer last night that verifies and requires the original music files before it will do anything, so I suppose that won't be as bad as just giving the files away. I've uploaded a MD5 sum list of the music files here, just so anyone can verify they have the original files before bothering to download whatever crap I prepare. (torrent, don't know) Easy enough to feed to fsum or similar from within the MDK 2 install directory.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Anonononomous posted:

I didn't have any trouble with the controls on the PC. Just make sure that you don't have CPU throttling software as the game doesn't like that. I didn't think about that and ended up playing through the whole game at 2.2x regular speed. I've also heard that you need to force it to run on only one core. But no problems with the controls.

I had no problem running the Steam version on my Core 2 Duo with speed throttling enabled. I didn't need to force it to run on one core, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Anonononomous posted:

Maybe it's an AMD problem, then. I just know that it didn't get along with my Athlon 64 3500+. I was also using the boxed copy. GoG might have tweaked it so that it doesn't do that anymore so maybe this version won't have any problems.

If you still have this problem, I suggest installing the latest multi-core optimizer pack or whatever it is that AMD has for download. It keeps the processor timestamp in sync between cores for RDTSC, and it adds the /usepmtimer switch to your boot.ini so QueryPerformanceCounter uses a timer source other than RDTSC.