Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Speak to me of Capitalism 2. Are any of you familiar wth it? How is it? I want to know more than their page is saying. So I come to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

In the case of the UK, we'll be glad to actually HAVE that expansion. It was never re-released. Indeed, I've never been sure that it was released at all over here-I remember Alpha Centauri being in the shops, but NEVER Alien Crossfire.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Random wish time: Startopia. I'm reading up on it(Based on multiple say-sos of 'This is great!', including this place), and armed with knowledge, I'm hoping they can get it on there.

Do you think there's any hope?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Boondock Saint posted:

Evil Genius isn't that bad if you constantly check the world domination screen to see if any agents of justice are investigating where your henchmen are stealing from. You usually have 30 seconds or so of them just sitting there before they actually kill any of your henchmen where you can tell them to hide till the coast is clear.

Also, when you see a red dot anywhere on your island, just put the kill tag on it and ignore them for the most part unless they end up in your base. Make sure your base has a camera at the front entrance, and don't build a secondary entrance unless you really really need to. Building a freezer really helps too as it helps boost morale and kills heat at the same time, I know it seems like a useless expansion but it works miracles. Agents investigating are pains in the asses but they are manageable, the game is a grind at times but it can be alota fun.

On the other hand, you can capture them and use the Mixer on them to raise morale for other units. You'll need the Mixer for other objectives anyway, so you may as well. Of course, it's not the only thing to do with captured as the game goes on, but it seems you're early in the game, so....

The Mixer is also your primary way of calming panicked visitors at that point-capture them, put them through it, they'll forget what they've seen. Remember that a character leaving with no suspicions lowers your heat.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 17, 2009

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

You have the original TIE Fighter but not the expansions? Because that surely isn't the Collector's Cd-Rom which had all three and the proper IMUSE music.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

I remember the PS1 version took up an entire memory card for save games. Bullshit.

On the other hand, I loved that narrator for the missions in the PS1. So serious and hammy.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I wonder...how is Lords of Magic to you all?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I seem to have a habit of buying games from here for the sake of the expansion packs(Because I own the originals). Battle Realms for the sake of Winter of the Wolf, Zeus for the sake of Poseidon(Which I didn't even know EXISTED), potentially Alpha Centauri for the sake of..oh, no Alien Crossfire here.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

You know, Alpha Centauri is still great even without crossfire.

I know, I own it with the original CD. I don't have Crossfire. As mentioned, I've a lot of games like this. Age of Empires 2 doesn't have it's expansion, Battle Realms, Zeus, TA:Kingdoms, Spellforce(Which ended up with me getting Spellforce Gold then later Spellforce Universe)...

Anyway: A lot of the SC2000 reviews are complaining that it's not the Win95 version. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 4, 2012

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

Microsoft Soccer/Football. As developed by the entirely appropriately-named Lobotomy Software. :laugh:

You may hate them for this, but I'll always love them for Saturn Exhumed, Quake, and Duke3D. Especially Exhumed.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Holy crap, all those games getting their expansion packs, and for free? That is awesome of GoG.

So, I had alpha centauri, but never really got to playing it till now. Any tips?

Short:
If it is rocky, or has a Minerals Bonus, mine it. If it's Rainy or Moist, Farm It. If Anything Else, Forest It. This will serve you the best for terraforming.

Reasoning(Warning, long, rambling):

Forests provide 1 Nutrient, 2 Minerals, 1 Energy(Stacking on top of natural bonuses like Jungle, Rivers, or Landmarks like Uranium). Early game(Before techs that break those restrictions), you're limited to a maximum production of 2 Nutrients, 2 Minerals, 2 Energy per square unless the square has a Bonus Symbol on it(The bonus symbols aren't limited by tech). Thus, they are very powerful, though Farming may be better for raw growth given every population point needs 2 Nutrients to live.

Later improvements improve the yield of Forests for bases drawing on them significantly, from 1/2/1 to 2/2/1, then 3/2/2, as well as improving your economy in various ways. In addition to all this, they don't harm the environment like your standard improvements(Mines, Farms, etc), thus evading Fungal Blooms(Which destroy terrforming) and Mindworm assaults caused by such. Also, Forests spread on their own and can even puch away Fungus for you.

Why Mine Rocky/Mineral Squares? Because they provide the most minerals. The problem with Mines is the square will also produce 1 less Nutrient inherently. This isn't usually a problem, but it's something to be aware of, especially with sea squares. Is +1 Mineral to the square worth -1 Food?

Sea Bases and sea squares in generals tend to be very profitable in terms of Food and Energy-Kelp Farms produce 3 food, Tidal Harnesses produce 3 Energy, where the Mine is only +1 mineral(Killing the Nutrient that the square produces naturally and leading to 2/2/0 when fully terraformed, 3/3/0 with base improvements). This is part of what makes the Pirates so ridiculous-with their extra mineral from Ocean Shelf, they're 2/1/2 or 3/1/3 after restrictions for every shelf square, improving to 4/1/4 with certain base enhancements. Even their Deep Ocean squares are 3/0/3(4/0/4) since they can(With tech) improve those squares where others cannot.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know.

Oh-The Gaians are a new player's best friend. Getting +1 Nutrients from Fungus gives you a heck of a lot of leeway in base placement, given they already start with the means to draw resources from Fungus, so they can feed people off the Fungus with no issue right from the start.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 29, 2012

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

...I wonder if Microsoft would ever deign to allow Age of Empires 1 or 2 on Gog?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It's hardly wrong(Not That you're saying it is). Gaming's come a LONG way in 20-30 years. They were trying a lot of things. And we're all old farts(at 30-odd if not more so) who appreciate our 'memories' coming back.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

al-azad posted:

There was a time when basically every PC game had default configurations for multiple inputs. Wing Commander supported m+kb, gamepad, and flightstick out of the box. 80s PCs like the Commodore came with a joystick/gamepad specifically designed for it. It wasn't until recently within the past 5 or so years that a game is either A) compatible out of the box with an Xbox controller and nothing else or B) not compatible with Xbox controller or C) not compatible with loving anything because in the 21st century game design has regressed to the point where convenient configurations are impossible without 3rd party programs specifically designed to do so*.

*Of course, simply editing an .ini file in this day and age is grounds for being called a rapist.

e: Fun fact, System Shock 2 was being developed on Dreamcast as well. So was Clive Barker's Undying. Some people thought the recent patch was a result of someone finding the Dreamcast's source code.

Kinda adding to this. Tie Fighter supported Mouse+Keyboard. X-Wing vs Tie Fighter did NOT; it required a flightstick to play for unknown reasons. This was weird and frustrating. Still is.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, there's nothing about GalCiv1 that's not done better in 2. It's a straight upgrade.

I can agree, mostly. Still, there are some things I prefer in 1 rather than 2, owning both. I'd say 'use your own judgement'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

uPen posted:

I want TIE Fighter on GoG more than anything but it's never going to happen :(

...The problem with wanting it is they'd do the one without the changing music, which would be far, far worse than not having it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Mr. Pumroy posted:

This is a pretty good example of why the less you know about the Star Wars extended universe the better off you are. I had no idea he was some important named character in the EU and that's unfortunate.

That's misunderstanding it. They gave him a name, for the sake of how the guide was done(As a story). His relation to the EU is 'none at all'; after the game, he/you disappears. No author has used him, no other reference is made. This despite the fact that it also shows what Thrawn was doing before the EU. Not even other games have used 'Marak Stele'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Hidden Asbestos posted:

GOG.com just gave me a copy of STALKER for free by typing in my boxed CD-key. Those guys!

http://www.gog.com/news/breclaim_your_gamesb_drmfree

That's an impressive initiative, and I applaud them for the attempt even if it goes nowhere.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I would say that 'needing a joystick' is utterly false. Both from personal experience(Never owned a joystick, still had plenty of fun) and watching a playthrough on Hard with all objectives done with only Mouse and Keyboard)(So it's not a requirement to succeed in the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Airspace posted:

There's really nothing stopping them from doing the TIE Avenger in Rebels, the Defender isn't that numerous and no political entity shelves every instance of a weaker vehicle immediately just because the newer one shows up.

It's gonna be weird, really. Because the Advanced is the production model of Vader's TIE, which was made/modified specially(It had shields because it needed no life support because he already HAS a life support suit). Which would mean that they started production models with extra stuff well before Yavin...and if they'd had that quality, they'd have USED it. You can presume the runs were small, perhaps-I mean the money basically has to be going everywhere in 20 years of reconstructing the military and the Galaxy itself after civil war. But to guard your new superweapon with basic TIES?

Then again, that was the point; they weren't expecting anyone to challenge it with fighters at ALL.

The problems with (re)introducing things when there are fixed things(The films) that can't be messed with....

quote:

to mag pulses

And that's a TIE Fighter reference at that: Mag Pulse warheads. They showed up twice in the campaigns. It showed up as a Rebel tech first and the Empire wanted to learn the tech.
The first time they got some copies but the Rebels came in right after and blew up the station.
The second time Imps got some working copies, but had to use them to escape a trap. Guess they finally figured it out.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 26, 2017