Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The views, they are....OVER 9000!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CD Projekt is just "delaying" the stream a bit until more people log on.

The more people watching the stream = the more people to advertise to.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Do you think 400k sales of Witcher 2 = profit?

I'd say it would have to be around 700,000 before profit (remember advertising and royalties to STEAM and retail.)

SneakySneaks posted:

The game cost about 15-18 million after everything, 400,000 time 45 equals 18,000,000. So yes, they made a profit.

Fixed. And again: marketing, royalty fees, etc.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

gently caress! This makes me want to replay The Witcher 2 so bad!

Good thing they only showed Chapter 1 for no spoilers.

Also I think they are working on a Mac. :)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Did Edge just give the game a 3/10...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This was awesome.

What's the best Ultima game though? Or at least the top ones?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

I lose my poo poo for Ultima 6, 7 and 7.2 - but if I were to choose one... farrrk, Probably Ultima 7. Be prepared to take a LOT of time exploring and even manually writing notes. I had full-on A5 notebook full of conversation bits and pieces and thisses and thats to help me through the game when I first gave it a proper go way back in the 1900's.

Ugh, and Arcanum is making me baffled at some of the "what the gently caress am I suppose to do now?" decisions.

SpRahl posted:

Probably 6, 7 and 7.5, 5 is ok but I think the remake is loads better. Anything before 4 is pretty bad save for nostalgia.

Wasn't 4 more or less the first RPG where you could be as good or bad as you want and it would affect the outcome of the game?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SpRahl posted:

4 was the first to introduce morality into a video game but you had to be good in order to beat the game. Or be ridiculously rich and "buy" your way to Avatarhood :).

Ahh. What was the first game that you could be as good or as bad as you want until the very end?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How's Temple of Elemental Evil?

I've heard its great but then again many people have said the same about Arcanum which I've almost beaten and I'm finding it "so-so".

Also some have said that The Last Express is a lot like the Phoenix Wright series, is that true?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So can GOG Galaxy track the amount of time I've played a game yet? Or have they still not added that feature?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I don't have the option of enabling it though. I can't select the box in configuration settings.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Same for me, never realized that, some games seem to have time tracking and others don't, example:

So far every game I have played it hasn't tracked. I have The Witcher III, Trails in the Sky: SC. The Last Express, Freedom Planet, Legacy of Kane: Soul Reaver, and Crimzon Clover. None of those games have tracking times.

Eh! Frank posted:

I think for it to track your play time, you have to launch it through the actual Galaxy client, if you launch the game through a desktop shortcut or whatever it doesn't seem to track it. I may be completely wrong, that's just what I've noticed.

I always use Galaxy Client.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

I've been browsing their forums and it appears the tracker only works when you are online and it's still pretty buggy though.

I'm always online and it still doesn't work. :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

New Vegas is actually Fallout 3. "Fallout 3" is an open world walking simulator with a bunch of random events you can choose that rarely alter the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So what do the Ultima games play like? Are they closer to The Witcher or Final Fantasy?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What makes Ultima IX bad? I notice that it has really good graphics for 1999. Perhaps only surpassed by Shenmue.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I grew up on MechWarrior 3 as a kid. Yet I only hear people talk about 3 or 4. Was 3 the black sheep of the series or what?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A bit late to the Harvester talk. Watched a let's play of it. It's a unique game, and 90s as all hell. Like Duke Nukem, it really is a product of its time. Fun game but only in a time capsule kind of way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I'm currently vacationing in Africa and despite being American and registering my account in America, while browsing the store the games are in African regions. If I buy a game over the browser on Africa, it should work when I download and play it back home in America right?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I hate when I want to buy something on GOG but it's cheaper on Steam. I want Bloodstained but it's $5 cheaper on Steam.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 27, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think the poo poo ports thing didn’t really start clearing up until 2010. That was when Capcom started releasing stuff like Dead Rising 2 on that new engine someone mentioned, on top of Steam really taking off and showing publishers there was a huge market for PC games. Between late 2010 and now I don’t think I bought more than a half dozen poo poo ports.

Devil May Cry 4 actually received a great PC port. Good PC ports of console games began to ramp up toward the end of the 2000s and wasn't fully cemented until really just a couple years ago.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lmao

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I find amusing that CDProjekt's reputation as the holy corporation on the shining hill crashing into the ground when releasing a game revolving around all corporations being evil.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ymgve posted:

China's ruling party wanted it to be censored. No one else. Maybe except China stans?

CSPAM is more influential than you think.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

That was 30 years ago there's a nonzero chance many of them don't remember that

During The Witcher 3 interview people commented how "back in Poland during Communism everyone was equal. So we were all equally poor." They know Communism and do not like it, they just want money.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The problem companies had with the Soviet Union and have with Cuba isn't their authoritarianism, but that they didn't allow them to set up shop. Now that China and Vietnam allows them to setup shop they have zero problem curbing their "liberal values" of "freedom".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

With all the crap going on with CDProjekt would I be dumb if I don't want to purchase anything through their store and do so through Steam instead? Or am I being overdramatic?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The idea of buying anything through them doesn't feel great right now. First in the sense that I don't want to support them while they're making such lovely decisions. Second in the sense that if they are making these lovely decisions their long term stability is in question.

I don't think GOG will fold overnight or anything. They're just in a downward trajectory and I don't have confidence in the platform.

The reason why I tend to favor GOG over storefronts even like Steam is that I already own the game. They actually have an answer to "what happens to my library if you go bankrupt?". You can launch the game without an additional app as is, so a situation cannot happen like Desura where my copy of Five Nights at Freddy's is forever lost. Even Steam for as prevalent as it is could one day kick the bucket leaving my entire library up in smoke.

Guillermus posted:

How is GOG even in a downward trayectory? Honest curiosity since it has a good client, lots of great DRM-free games and pretty good sales all around.

GOG is Fyre App. CDProjekt is Fyre Festival.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Cyberpunk is like 38 bucks in China.

Which is stupid because all I have to do is step out my front door.

If China is Cyberpunk then what is America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those big terrible "day one" patches you hate? You're forgetting what it was like in the days of unpatchable disc and cartridge games where all those bugs are there forever unless you hope the developers update later print runs. And you can find it in the wild.

There are absolutely some nightmare examples but those were far fewer and further in between relative to today.