Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Thompsons posted:

Are there any good starter guides for Might and Magic 7? Because I take like five steps out of town before getting swarmed by dozens of dragonflies.
Mr. Malwick hangs near the alchemy shop. In exchange for doing a tricky sidequest much later in the game he gives you a powerful fireball wand with enough charges to last the rest of the island, if you use it frugally.

If you want none of his ominous moustache, you can take about 3-4 at a time with the default party. Just wander near the horde and draw a bunch away from the swamp. If you get in over your head, just bolt off back to town and the guards will take them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Clouseau posted:

You can sidestep this by getting a huge bunch of dragonflies into the town, and have them kill most of the citizens. This'll take care of a lot of the dragonflies, and let you pick up his wand without too much a problem.
Unfortunately, taking the wand off his dead body triggers the "deal with the devil" all the same.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

iastudent posted:

Is there a way to run M&M7 in windowed mode?

Google indicates there's more problems with running it fullscreen than in a window. I'll install it real quick and check for myself Scratch that, I forgot that the setup.exe goes catatonic under Win7. If the GOG version is anything like the original CD version, yeah, it's supported.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 13, 2011

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Tufty posted:

Also, how can I get more money? Spells and skills are expensive.

Acromage and quests. If you feel like grinding, there's the merchant runs. You can find vendors selling huge crates of various items and supplies all over. If you deliver the stuff you bought to some other vendor elsewhere in the world, you net a small profit for every box.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Tufty posted:

I noticed a couple of the traders, I might do a few runs for some cash. How do I get an Acromage deck though? And how can I steal all the poo poo in the treasure room above the waterfall in Stonecity without getting the whole dwarven race on my rear end?
Talk to the man of the Temper household, it's right next to the stables in Harmondale. His brother's gone missing in the caves up in... the mountains around the southeast or -west corner, I think? There's a rope bridge leading up there and a whole bunch of goblins, so it's pretty distinguishable. The caves themselves are full of troglodytes and a few physical attack-immune oozes that fight each other - running is an option. I may remember wrong, but I think you'll find the missing guy's remains (+deck) if you keep going left.

I don't think there's any way to avoid the Stone City alarm. You can get the goods and scram without incident using the Invisibility spell (Air, Master), but I'm not sure how long it takes for the city to reset to a non-hostile state.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Thompsons posted:

You guys know everything about old strategy games: could someone give me a few hints for Incubation, like how the skill point system works and what gear to get? The manual is pretty unhelpful.
Don't know what to say about the skills, but about the guns: get rid of the dinky starting pistols and get things with bayonets on them the first chance you get. The assault rifle should become your basic tool, the two-barreled stormbolter thing heats up slowly and is great for guard moding against hordes and the heavy armor isn't worth it without the servo upgrade. Any particular questions?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Guillermus posted:

That Rayman game looks awesome :allears:

Btw, i want to play a Might & Magic game, wich one should i go for? M&M 6 and 7 look nice for me and they're perfect for lose time at job with my netbook.

I'll vouch for 7. It's more finished/balanced than 6 and much less stale than 8. Also, Acromage!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Austen Tassletine posted:

Is Evil Genius any good?

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Only game on this sale that interests me is Evil Genius? Is it worth 3.99 even?
It's the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper in a spot-on 70s James Bond pastiche universe. It has its flaws, as anything descending from Peter Molyneux tends to have, but it's definitely worth at least a :10bux: in pure idle god-game base designing and fiddling about.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 1, 2011

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

electrigger posted:

Is this game just that hard and unforgiving? Or is there some great thing I missed that makes things easier?

Re: poisoning and disease: Alchemy. Just having the basic skill allows you to make antidotes for both (purple and orange, respectively). Doing the simpler quests like "get the Parson's quill" in Erathia, "say hi to the Fairy King for me" in one of the elven cities and some of the class promotion quests grant generous amounts of money and experience given how simple they are.

Also, pre-emptively regarding the Sorcerer's bitchy promotion quest: There's two chests in the teleporter hub of Bracada Desert. There's a delivery report that makes it a bunch easier. Don't take the head you find here.

The game is pretty unforgiving at the start. The stranglehold loosens pretty quickly after a certain threshold, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

electrigger posted:

That being said, is there a way to 'farm' money in the easier areas at least? As far as I see it looks like monsters don't respawn, which is great but also sucks since I've run out of things I can somewhat kill reliably such as the horde of goblins outside of the starting town.
Everything respawns, but I think that's on a yearly timer.

Regarding money, let me quote myself from earlier:

scamtank posted:

Acromage and quests. If you feel like grinding, there's the merchant runs. You can find vendors selling huge crates of various items and supplies all over. If you deliver the stuff you bought to some other vendor elsewhere in the world, you net a small profit for every box.
If you're really strapped for funds, poke around the ground in Tularean Forest (maybe Avlee?) and look for blue-capped mushrooms. They're elvish toadstools, the strongest blue reagents in the game whose true value is 500 gold per shroom. You should also concentrate your Merchant skill on your Cleric. He's the only class in the game that can grandmaster it.

electrigger posted:

I have an awful feeling that this game is probably one you can paint yourself into a corner with in regards to money or skill point allocation and you have no choice but to start from scratch.
Nonsense. Also, use any horseshoes you find (2 or 3 near every stable) like potions. They give extra skill points for some reason.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Is there a way to remove the free games automatically added to your list when you create a GOG account? I realize it's OCD as gently caress, but I really only want Tyrian 2000 of the 4 that automatically appear.

What? What free games?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GOG posted:

Stay tuned to this news post, as the live stream video window will be embedded here soon.
The last time I was this F5 F5 F5 was during the TF2 Engineer update. :allears:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

Confession time: I bought PS:T but barely played it. I found some really good writing but there's this annoying game in the way of it.

Don't sweat it. It took me a good year of letting it stew on my shelf before I properly got into it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Clouseau posted:

Is there any reason to play MOO1? I played a ton of MOO2 and loved the hell out of it, but is 1 just a version of it with less going on?

The planet micromanagement isn't nearly as bad (all planetary spending is done with sliders) and the ships stack in combat, that's all I can say off the top of my head. In other words: get at it, it's still good.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Agrias120 posted:

EDIT: Consensus seems to be that Krondor is pretty loving awesome. How is the entry learning curve on it? Is it going to rape me with obscure knowledge requirements, etc?

Two words: KEEP NOTES. Directions, hints and tasks come up casually in conversation/interaction and the game laughs at the notion of quest logs. The general aim of the chapter is all you get.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

If you like the beginning, just wait until Part 2

(it gets better)

I thought that the first 2-3 levels of Part II fell flat in comparison. The transition from gothic cathedrals and rough-hewn catacombs to awkwardly proportioned urban areas was jarring and almost made me shelf the game.

The asylum rocked, though, and the last three parts of the game were just :tviv:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Good idea! Those enqounters would be most likely to appear around San Fran, no?

I'm also thinking I'll clear out the hive of scum and villany that is New Reno. :clint:

Navarro and the Military Base, respectively. SF is surrounded only by Hubologists and press gangs. They've got expensive guns, but I'm not sure if I'd grind them for experience.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Anyone who doesn't buy Startopia doesn't deserve to own a PC. It really hasn't aged at all, aside from lack of proper widescreen support, and plays like a hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital, but better.

Not to mention the game has a miniature hardware footprint in relation to how good it looks. It's one of the only things that my struggles-with-BG2 junk laptop will run reasonably well. It would play nice even with my 32MB Riva TNT2, for heaven's sake!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

If Impressions games are your thing, check out Zeus and Emperor as well. They're the Greek and Chinese refinements of the old SimAncient formula.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

BeanBandit posted:

How is Shattered Steel? The average user rating isn't so hot, but I'm a sucker for mech games, so I'll probably pick it up anyway.

It's the first Black Isle game!!!! :holy:

But no really it's a kinda neat mech shooter, but flawed even for 1996 standards. I'd get it just to give it a quick look and donate to GoG in the process.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Vastakaiun posted:

Oh hell yes. Finally my childhood dream of having the full version of this game is about to come true.
But Forest Frontiers is all I need! :kiddo:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The first game's scenarios are light years ahead of the sequel's. If only I could have RCT1 with the "place-stuff-freely-on-a-vertical-axis" interface tweak from RCT2... :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I was a SimCity 2000 kid, though I've certainly heard no end of how awesome the RCT games are. I hear a lot of debate over whether 1 or 2 was better though, what exactly was different between them? And are there any tips for actually running a profitable park?

RCT2 took RCT Deluxe and tweaked the engine, overhauled the interface a bit, added the ability to freely place things in all three dimensions (on a grid, but still), increased the number of rides and attractions (mostly by rollercoasters), made theming more varied and complex, included a pretty sad number of scenarios (plus a somewhat limited editor) and came with pretty accurate digitizations of Six Flags parks from around the world.

The original game's missions are much more fun to play, but the sequel just has more toys.

Also, charge obscene prices. A rule of thumb about admission price in the original game is £10 per every rollercoaster and £5 per every thrill ride in your park. Visitors also don't seem to mind paying the ride's excitement rating in pounds, at least in the first year of the ride's life.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, its hard to get the intensity of a coaster below 5.5 or so. Trying to design a few decent cheap steel-mini kidde-coasters for the people who want something more thrilling than Thrill Rides but not the massive pukemeister coasters.

Try to keep the maximum speed of the train below 30mph - look at how the pre-designed Crazy Caterpillar does things. Rollercoasters are thrill machines by definition, though, so I'd look into log flumes or something.

Also: always spend the maximum amount on research. The sum is still negligible and new rides means life.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh my word. I only heard tales about this game growing up.

An adventure game from a first-person perspective. Got a top score in the gaming rag I read back in the day. I'll have to finally check this out.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

GOG.com Contest!

Win a copy of Normality directly from me! All you have to do is visit https://www.shotgaming.com and post a link to a video here (in this thread) that has actual gameplay footage from a DOS era game shown in the video.

First person to post the video here wins a free copy of Normality.

This one, right here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utGYkg6tDcg (http://shotgaming.com/?p=229)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Centipeed posted:

I've been playing Rollercoaster Tycoon, and I have some questions:

1) The rollercoaster on Dynamic Dunes (Or whatever it's called) crashed. Is this because I set the trains to have only two cars each, and they didn't have enough weight to get around the corners?

2) After it crashed, no-one would go on the ride because it was too unsafe, which I'm fine with, but a little while later I managed to get people queueing up, except the ride won't move. Is there something I need to do once a ride has crashed to get it going again? I've closed and re-opened it countless times.

1) Didn't have enough mass to make it back up the hills, more likely. The same amount of incline gives a bigger train more kinetic energy, making it harder to stop than a shorter train, be it by incline or station brake. The weight of the riding peeps also counts.

2.) Clicking the red light twice resets the ride and instantly ejects anyone stuck aboard through the exit, did you do that? If so, it might well be a bug. Somebody in the RCT thread mentioned demolishing it halfway through because it would obstinately refuse to recover from a crash.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

mmkay posted:

HoMM 3 has
  • nicer graphics (YMMV, I like HoMM2 graphics too)
  • more unit slots (7 vs 5)
  • more units (7 per town with upgrades for all of them vs 6 with only some units having upgrades)
  • more balanced unit stats (Heroes 2 had Black Dragons with 300 HP vs Paladins with 65 HP which is supposed to be counteracted with heroes stat)
  • got rid of ghosts (which were basically even more amazing vampires that multiplied when they killed stuff)
  • longer campaigns (I think, it certainly seemed that way to me)
  • flying units no longer cross the entire map in one round
  • shooting units have got a range penalty now
  • other minor things, like slightly different bonuses for Attack/Defense (+5/-2.5% per point, lowered from +10/-5% in HoMM2)

You forgot the hero skill/magic system upgrades.

In my experience, HoMM 2 is simpler, harder and has amazing pixel cartoon graphics.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Isn't Build exactly the same in that regard? I remember making Duke3D levels years ago, and diving underwater was handled by teleporting to another area, as were supposedly vertical lifts.

While the Wolf3D engine couldn't understand any real height differences or non-straight corners, true; they're both 2.5D. The rendering was always founded on a two-dimensional sector map, but Build could still do slopes, complex shapes and honest-to-god height differences.

Sector scripting tags allowed actual, non-illusory elevators, scripted environment deformation and the "underwater is really miles away" teleport hijinks. It was all about avoiding visible sector overlap.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Danith posted:

Finally Dungeon Keeper 2! Hope it works on Win7, downloading now

Please report back how it works, I want to know if I can get some texture filtering up ins before I buy.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Trauma mode gives you no health pickups. Whatever, I'm not switching to some baby difficulty.

Do Nightmare next. The demon rage mode is fun and the last chapter (not available on Trauma) is really good.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Furret Basket posted:

Don't know when it happened but looks like Windows 7 has silently been readded to the Dungeon Keeper 2 page. So I guess that means it's fixed?

I went and bought it just now - it seems to run admirably aside from hardware acceleration turning the graphics into a glitchy black mess. Gotta fiddle with the settings, see if something happens.

e: Looks like the problem profile is the same as before. Z-buffer errors with hardware acceleration and the game crashed when I clicked the Review Objectives button. Take it as you will.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 19, 2011

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

There's the Win95 remakes with canned John Williams tracks (no IMUSE :() and the graphics engine from X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, but they were pretty awkward to get running in something as basic as Windows XP.

I heard some talk somewhere some time about the campaigns being ported for X-Wing Alliance, anyone know anything about that?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Rirse posted:

I know there is a thread for the old D&D games, but what are the highly suggested mods for these games. I know there is a mod that merges the two Balduk Gates together, but beyond that I rather ask goons on what to use.

EasyTutu. To the BG2 thread with you. :colbert:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Evil Genius is nice, but a bit flawed. If you've played Bullfrog!Molyneux games, you'll know what to expect.

I personally recommend cheating yourself the money you need. The legit method (global thefts and heists) is incredibly difficult to keep from spilling from "agents snooping around" to "armed invaders shoot everyone that moves".

Just type HUMANZEE in-game, you'll get an Objective Completed marquee if it stuck. Ctrl-C dumps dosh in your coffers.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Cowman posted:

Are Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 able to be played stably on Windows 7 64-bit? I'm dying to play them again but I've heard that at least 2 is pretty unstable.
As long as you don't mind seeing some pixels (see the screenshots on the store page), the sequel is pretty solid. Things start going wrong both performance- and reliability-wise once you start enabling 3D acceleration options.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

Looking forward to playing them. Whatever happened to the team/guy that made the game, did they go on to other stuff?

They're the same Infogrames splinter cell that made Time Commando, Adeline Software. Wikipedia says they went quiet after LBA2 and the core team was absorbed by Sega some time after.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The only things I remember about the I-War games are a.) optional Newtonian thruster model and b.) lots of hailing and lauding in revering tones from reliable sources.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

Is IW1 worth getting? I have IW2 and played a tiny bit of it.

Blood 2 just a sucky sequel?

Should I get Total Annihilation despite sucking horribly at RTS games?

I'll get at least outcast.

Yes, pretty much, no comment, you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Master of Magic is what Age of Wonders wishes it was.