Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

pinacotheca posted:

Little Big Adventure is being given away for free right now to celebrate GOG.com's new French language version.

I've never played the PC version, but I remember the PS1 port being pretty fun.

It's a fantastic game with awesome soundtrack. It was one of the first western action adventure games to feature a vast, mostly open-ended world. The fight system is pretty bad but the graphics and sheer scale was really something in 1994. It's also pretty difficult and has one nasty bug where if you don't do two quest in the right order you can make the game unwinnable. Check a guide before playing.

LBA2 was even bigger in scale, it featured many planets to discover and was also really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

LK Avalon were basically bottom of the barrel Polish devs, they released lots of poo poo games in the 90s. They even made a blatant Lotus clone called Maluch iirc.

I remember them getting eviscerated in the reviews even back then. Sołtys is probably the worst adventure game I ever played.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

What's wrong with Sołtys? I looked it up on Mobygames, and the screenshots reminded me of the Gobliiins games. Is it just the premise, or is there something about the puzzles that's really obnoxious?

Nah, Gobliiins games were charming even if the puzzles were abstract as hell. Experimenting with various objects was half the fun there, Cocktel Vision put lots of hidden animations in. G1 was kinda rough but I really liked 2, 3 and Shinnible of Azimuth or whatever it was called.

Sołtys otoh is just a poo poo adventure with unfunny dialogue with lots of toilet humor, severe control issues (the character would straight up refuse to move somewhere on the screen even if the path was clear) and terrible UI. As I said, it got terrible reviews in the Polish press.

Be sure to check out Kajko & Kokosz if you feel like playing through bad Polish adventure games. It was based on this comic series that was in many ways the Slavic version of Asterix. The comic books were suprusingly good, the game was dreck.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

You know what I'd happily see on GOG? Take No Prisoners, the old top-down shooter made by Raven. Is there any reason it's not there yet?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Jedi Knight 2 was Raven, right?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Out of Close Combat 2, 3, 4 or 5, which one do you recommend to someone with no previous experience in or knowledge of the series? As far as I can tell, the first CC is included with purchase of any of the latter in the series.

2 was my gateway. Some of the maps are pretty unfair but that's pretty realistic when it comes to Market Garden.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I didn't like either game. Xenonauts had serious UI issues on top of being repetitive. Firaxis XCOM on the other hand was really shallow, felt like a mobile game. The last mission was literally a long boring corridor.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, while trawling the GoG sale I found the Xanadau Next and Tokyo Xanadu eX+ games. Does anyone have some experience with these games? Are they worth a look?

Xanadu Next is a 3D RPG from 2005, bit simplistic but really really fun. Tokyo Xanadu is Falcom's take on modern Persona games. Both are well worth a look but my choice out of these two would be XN.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I'm still waiting for Darklight Conflict to appear on gog someday. Came out right alongside X-Wing vs TIE Fighter and was way, way better.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

THE BAR posted:

I got this feeling, that YOUNG PEOPLE today never experience this? Having a ton of demo discs with shareware and single level stuff you play over and over again, dreaming of how the full game might be like?

This reminds me - back in the day I found this tech demo called Art of Flying on a shareware CD that was sold with some stupid PC magazine. It was just flying around some monochrome voxel canyons and shooting other unarmed planes. There wasn't even a proper shooting animation, just a sound effect and a silent explosion. Spent hours playing this silly thing. No idea what it was or who made it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

:siren: https://www.gog.com/game/diablo :siren:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1103659078595809280

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_bundle

:woop:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

The Myth games are some of my favorites, but the difficulty is so harsh I remember checking a FAQ to finish a bunch of the first one. That first game really boiled down to being more of a puzzle game for placing units to counter enemies. You can still call that strategy if you want, but it's not to me anymore.

That's my memory of it as well. I remember getting way more into Dark Omen because of that.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Cross-post from the General Chat Thread but seems appropriate here as I found out about this game in this very thread aeons ago.

:siren: Mod Approved Shameless Goon Self-promotion :siren:

I've officially 'Done A Thing' and put one of my favorite game soundtracks on vinyl: The Cat Lady. Yeah, the dead format your grandpa used to play Bing Crosby on.

https://twitter.com/stumpyfrogrecs/status/1120219084950396928

This is cool, where did you master it? Was it from a digital source?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Cold Steel is where Falcom wanted that Persona audience and tailored their games for that. It was their most successful Trails series to date but the CS games are way worse in terms of story than Sky and Zero/Ao. Weirdly bloated and really badly paced, too.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Did Blade Runner take so long purely because of licensing, or did it also have technical issues?

My guess is they used the ScummVM version released a few months ago.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

DS2 breaks from the mold in significant ways which is why people who don't like the rest of souls-likes choose it as their favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

loving wimps