Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

quote:

No hints about the new deals. We don\'t tease like that. One coming tomorrow!

Yeah like hinting at three new publishers isn't a huge tease. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Charlie Mopps posted:

I just finished all 4 sides in the Dark Prophecy campaign in Disciples II and started the Guardians of the Light campaign, but i couldnt believe my eyes reading the starting dialogues of the Undead campaign. The quality of writing went down the toilet in that second campaign. It read like some terrible fan-mission instead of official maps.

The whole game is still shitloads of fun though. I can't wait for the Disciples 3.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Grawl posted:

So what HOMM game is considered the best? I got a collector's pack with all games for my birthday two years ago, but have yet to touch it.

I'd rank III and V at about the same level. The totally loving rad level.

From the "Which one should I buy from from GOG" perspective, there's no reason to buy anything but III. The hours of great gameplay in the complete pack is astoundingly high.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

You certainly don't! I loooved Disciples II. It's one of the only turn-based strategies that I beat entirely and still wanted more.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

except a darker atmosphere and ridiculously harder

but the basic gameplay elements are the same, yes

Really? I thought the Heroes campaigns were a lot harder. I would always get stuck in them and give up to do single scenarios, but in Disciples I never really got stuck.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Can you give hints and tips and basically a "Disciples 2 Guide" for dummies like me because its seriously one of the hardest games i've ever played.

Shoot, I would but it's probably been five years since I played it and don't really remember many specifics about it.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Zero, there's no point.

Agreed. Heroes 3 is all you need. And the M&M pack if that's your thing.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

My god, I love that these things are being offered, but when will you possibly have time to play all of these games? I can't even finish the ones I have.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

All this Driver talk is just reminding me how much fun Carmageddon 2 was. Anybody know if that available as a download anywhere?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I for one, thought Arcanum was an extremely excellent game that got hampered by a few bugs on release. They've been fixed and I'd easily group it with Fallout 1 & 2 for excitement levels. Totally worth a countdown. :colbert:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

kissekatt posted:

So what is so good about Arcanium?

It's Fallout 2 in a magic/steam-punk world.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

As a fan of Fallout, I played it in turn-based mode and loved it. The people complaining about combat being too hard must have played with the tacked on real-time mode or something. I don't remember having any trouble with a gun user. I'm excited to try again though.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Sorry yeah, by "it" I meant Arcanum.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I like how all of a sudden, wanting to be more organized is considered lazy. :confused:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Oh for fucks sake, I have no idea how this turned into this debate. The whole point of the original post was that I outlined how GoG, being unique in how open it is, actually makes it possible to fairly easily create exactly a tool to merge ones GoG game list into the Steam list. Seeing how I am apparently the only guy in the universe the least bit bothered by having my games all over the place I wont bother to actually make the tool, but it is still extremely doable. Can we please drop the lengthy debate on the many ways in which I am apparently wrong for wanting this now?

I have no idea either. All you did was post an offhand comment about how it would be neat to have a utility to do that. Why the hell are people getting offended by this? I would use this utility if I had a lot of GoG games, but I've only got a couple.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

Only pirates need custom directories.

Or more commonly, people with multiple hard drives. My C: drive filled up long ago.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

FLX posted:

There is an option to play it windowed (I think it's even in the in-game settings), but in order to actually play it that way, you need to set your desktop color bit-depth to 16bit :arghfist::D

F4 puts Heroes 3 in windowed mode.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I love HoMM 5 and put it right up there with 3.

And yeah, setting my display to 16 bit sucks, but it's quick to change back when I'm done with my game.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Wow, the last time I tried to play Master of Magic, I had to set up a Pentium 166 next to my regular computer because I couldn't get it to run in XP. This is exciting.

MOO2 I've played to death, but not in a few years. I'll be getting that too.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Can moo2 be played in a window?

Yes it can.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Doodmons posted:

I have and enjoy Galciv 2. Is MOO 2 just an older version of that or is it hugely different/better and should I get it anyway?

This isn't a very good answer, but I never played Galciv 2 because I heard it didn't stack up to Moo2, which I was already hooked on.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

I think what I overall like about GalCiv2 better though are two major points. First, that research strategy seems better balanced. I don't like in MOO2 how unless you play a creative race, you must decide on one item per level. You can strategise and try to steal the tech either through invasion or infiltration, but there's no guarantee.

I think that's my favorite thing about MOO2. Every game you have to work with a different set of technology and use different strategies to outsmart your opponent. I usually pick the Uncreative trait because of this.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

al-azad posted:

I don't think anyone knows what's going on with D&D game's licensing. TSR owned the rights to D&D which was bought by Wizards of the Coast which was bought by Hasbro. Hasbro Interactive, a Hasbro subsidiary, bought Atari Corp to become Atari Interactive which was subsequently bought by another company and renamed Infogrames before re-renaming itself Atari, Inc.

I think what happened here is that when IESA bought Atari Interactive from Hasbro they lost the rights to the D&D license from every product before they changed their name to Atari, Inc. Neverwinter Nights 2 is the only product I see sold digitally.

Hasbro is also notorious for pushing the poo poo out of D&D 4E and they pretty much want everyone to forget that any version existed before it. They even went so far as to remove reprints of free old school modules from their website and several other pre-4E material.

I've actually been wondering about D&D video games lately. There used to be so many great ones, but nothing has come out since NWN 2 in 2006. Putting out a good 4E game would probably be great for the book sales. Why hasn't anybody done this yet?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Ansob. posted:

Literally the only thing it has in common with WoW is the idea of levels, classes, dungeons and equipment, something which every other edition of D&D ever has had and which WoW took from D&D (via pretty much every CRPG that came before WoW).

Gridmaps aren't from WoW, ranges in squares aren't from WoW, powers that can be used once per combat (or regenerate whenever you rest) aren't from WoW, toned-down multiclassing isn't from WoW... Basically, absolutely nothing that distinguished 4E from 3.X (or OD&D or AD&D) is from WoW. There's no mana, no loot drop tables (something which was in AD&D, incidentally), no time-based cooldowns, no class-based gear or gear that boosts your stats or skill trees to put talent points in...

The only thing that you might convincingly argue was influenced by WoW in any way whatsoever is the official art, because for some reason GIANT PARUDULON seems to be in. Really, if you absolutely want to compare it to a video game, pick any TRPG - and even then, it'd still be miles away, because there are no TRPGs that use mechanics anything like 4E's that I know of.

Know what 4E does resemble, though? Tabletop wargames.

Like every edition of D&D before it, but especially OD&D (to which 4E is closer than 3.X ever was).

This sounds awesome. I wish Troika was around to give it the Temple of Elemental Evil treatment.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Also, the Antarans will gently caress you up until very late in the game. Occasionally losing a colony is unavoidable until that one day when you can get your sweet sweet revenge. It's also comforting to know that they're hitting your opponents just as often as they're hitting you.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Levitate posted:

This isn't exactly relevant to the thread but I don't think it merits me making a new thread just to ask the question, but since this is where people interested in old games hang out...

Does anyone know if it's still possible to find the old gold box AD&D games for sale that isn't a hugely overpriced second hand sale from Amazon or Ebay?

I kind of doubt they're really even for sale anymore but part of me wants to give those games a go again. I used to have the two main box sets...the three forgotten realms games (Pool or Radiance, etc) and the three Dragonlance games (Champions of Krynn, etc), but I think they were probably thrown out a long time ago.

Bonus points if I could find Mac versions

I don't know where to find them now but I did grab a collection of them several years ago. I loved the poo poo out of the Pool of Radiance series way back when, but replaying them today is difficult. RPG interfaces have gotten a lot better in the last 20 years.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

And just like last time I'll say I don't know why so many people thought it was so hard. I thought the campaign was a lot easier than the HoMM campaigns.

I love the hell out of Disciples 2.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

I just got HoMM3, because I like King's Bounty and had always been interested in the series. Question though: How often should I be deploying new Hero units?

Not very often. Sometimes you'll want a hero to transport troops around or a backup defense, but for the most part you'll want to give the bulk of your army and experience to one hero.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Good luck, we have all been waiting for those. But considering the magic they have been pulling.... we might see Carmageddon. I doubt we ever see any EA owned stuff. Hey, who does own Carmageddon? SCI? Are they around? I know like Jowood or some silly company like that did that horrible Carmageddon TRD 2000 whatever copy it was called

God what a disappointing sequel that was. :(

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Calling it now, it's not a PR stunt. Something unexpected happened, probably when the new shareholders got majority. All these "sources" saying it's a PR stunt are just random people on forums. Why is anybody believing them?

You don't post a weekend deal, then have a planned shut down for the weekend.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

My guess is that they left the wording open because they're still fighting with the people who matter about if they can stay open or not. They were probably forced to shut down, but are still trying and negotiating to keep something open.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Does anybody happen to know how many publishers they had before they went down?

Edit: You know, that video kind of calmed my fears. I think everything is going to be ok, and I'm already starting to think this is going to be remembered as pretty funny.

Farquar fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 21, 2010

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

In six months people will remember this as "Haha, remember that time when we thought gog was shutting down and everybody freaked out? That was funny."

(I hope)

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I, on the other hand, love them even more after this stunt.

You fooled me guys, keep on rockin' :cool:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Alchenar posted:

You just missed a package deal on Steam. I wouldn't go for the original, it's more of a nostalgia buy and there's no reason to prefer it over the new version.

I think by 'the original', he's talking about The Legend, which GOG sells, and not the actual original from 1990.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

odiv posted:

Ah, I must have missed that. Sorry.

So I'm wondering if I should try a big multiplayer BG2 game with friends when it comes out. If we couldn't get it off the ground due to scheduling in university I doubt we'd have better luck now.

Try, because it would be awesome, then get about 2 hours in before never getting the time to play together again. Just like the rest of us did.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Ugh, can we just go back to people bitching about being fooled or something because this "how long I've been a member" conversation has produced the most boring three pages of the thread. :(

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

How randomized is the loot in Icewind Dale? I feel like I would give it more of a chance if I knew there was some roguelike randomness in it.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

John McCain posted:

Almost everything is random. Trash and most chests will drop entirely random stuff (though it is frequently random within categories, eg a random stack of ammo). Bosses frequently drop certain specified items and 1 or 2 random powerful items. There are very few static items just lying around (a Holy Avenger is one of those few).

Excellent. Now I hope they release that next. I played Baldur's gate way back when, and while I liked it, I got kind of burned out by the end. I never gave any of the other Infinity Engine games the chance they deserved.

Edit: Wait, no, I played and love Torment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

You guys gotta stop telling people how to play the game. That's the best part about it, is that you can play it any way you want. There are no 'wrong' ways to play Torment and anybody that thinks so is wrong. :colbert: