Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Anyone know why Broken Sword 1 isn't on GOG yet? Seems strange that they have both 2 and 3, but not 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It's very interesting to see actual competition in the DD market. I hope this will continue and push the prices down a bit more in general.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Charlie Mopps posted:

From their site:

Seriously?

An Apogee rebate and it's not available for Duke Nukem 3D? Not that $6 is expensive in the first place, but I bet they would sell more of it if they added the rebate there too.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
While looking at reviews for Arx Fatalis, I found this gem:

Think I'm gonna buy it, reviews seem generally favourable.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I've played a bit of Arx Fatalis now, about to enter the 4th dungeon level, but is the magic system supposed to suck so extremely? Only a fraction of the gestures I do are recognized, and it's a pain in the rear end to recreate the quickspells every time you use them. I also seem to use my sword more than my spells for the most part. Do any of you have hints for making the magic user experience more tolerable, does spells get better and more useful later in the game, or should I just reroll as a warrior type instead?

Apart from that, the game is very good. I am very impressed with how much they have managed to pack in just the three levels I've seen so far, and it really feels like an Ultima Underworld game where someone took all the game text and just did a word-replace on 'Avatar'.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Bleusilences posted:

Doom 2 is not the same engine then doom 1, they had to rebuild it from strach because doom 2 was way too big.

[citation needed]

Sporadic posted:

Postal 2 Complete is up for $9.99

Just a warning: I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but if you find the secret area Tora Bora, DON'T loving go back in after you've completed it. I did and there seems to be no way back out. I'm considering just restarting the game on easy difficulty and going berserk, which is half the fun and probably much funnier when I don't have to worry about my health all the time.

As the week progresses, will previously open areas close down?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I bet they will just keep the packages as they are. Why fix something that is not broken, and all that. I don't wanna be the guy that tests all GOG games again every time there's a new DOSBox release.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

quote:

Tex Murphy has uncovered a partial code for a free game at GOG.com. It's ***-SELA4 ... the first three letters may be found somewhere at GOG

Anyone found the other three letters?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
drat, looks like it's first come, first serve. Code already used up.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Not telling you! More codes for me!

(It's on the quickorder page, there's a "Redeem promo code" at the right, it's the same page where you usually enter your CC info)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
For $6 I see redownloading games as a bonus, not a right. I backup my poo poo, so I don't need it.

And I can guarantee you that in 50 years gog.com will be gone - will you still complain about them "lying" about the unlimited redownloads then?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
This reminds me - apparently the best way to play the Freespace games is with a stick, but as I don't have one of those, how does it play with mouse+KB, or alternatively, a 360 gamepad?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I have no idea why people praise the Earthworm Jim games. From the 10 minutes I spent with the first game it seemed like a mediocre generic platformer. Imprecise jumping and enemies that are impossible to hit? Is this supposed to be fun?

At least it was only $3.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Did they add some games? I don't remember Die by the Sword being on the sale list earlier.

edit: how did I miss the "Show all games" button?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
A new (quite lovely, IMO) deal on GoG: http://www.gog.com/en/promo/interplay_highlights

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

The Machine posted:

None of those games are lovely :argh:

For those too lazy to click, it's

Decent 3 +expansions, Giants, Sacrifice, and Stonekeep for $16.76 (Save $7.20).

The games are good, but the deal is lovely. Like I said in the Steam thread, everyone should already own these games, since they were in the "2 for 1" sale earlier - which had both cheaper games and a much larger selection.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
MDK is going for $4.99 according to the front page, but doesn't seem like they have actually applied the rebate.

Not that it matters, because you should all own MDK already.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

sethsez posted:

Yeah, the nice thing about GoG is that they don't need to have constant sales because the prices are already good.

The "regular" sales they have with $1 or 10-25% off just seem useless. If I didn't want to buy it for $6, my threshold for buying won't be $5.

I would prefer more stuff like the one year anniversary sale and bundles.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

glug posted:

Oh god OUTLAWS!

Hey, has anyone got any guess that specifically ties into the wording? Unexcelled is an odd word to throw out there.

Oh god. They're going to branch out into Good Old Applications and will release Lotus 1-2-3! Which is un-Excel-ed!

(Stop hitting me!)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

raezr posted:

Psychonauts would be so much better if it let you map Xbox controller triggers to their proper functions. :argh: Even games like Prince of Persia let you do that. (I know there are third party drivers that get around the problem, but I'm stupid and/or they don't want to play nice with my pc for some reason)

It all depends on whether the game is able to recognize the controller as a 360 controller or just a normal gamepad. For some unknown reason, Microsoft decided that the triggers should function as an analog axis, so pressing both the left and right trigger fully is the same as not pressing any trigger at all. However, if the game does some 360-controller-only magic, it works.

The custom drivers do work, but it's a bit of a hassle to get them up and running properly.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Overwined posted:

Arcanum?

Possibly Temple of Elemental Evil and Vampire: Bloodlines too. Not that the latter is that interesting, since it's on Steam already.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
on Facebook: "More clues! Where history overlaps with the present time."

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The sisters in Vampire: Bloodlines might fit the bill. But a bit obscure, so probably means something else.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is Gabriel Knight oldschool Sierra-style or Lucasart-style? (That is, will I get completely hosed over for not picking up/picking up some item at the start of the game)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It would be a bit funny if Activision decided to re-release Pitfall through GoG. Talk about good old game!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Don't worry, you can still get growing titties, but it's still a bit expensive.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

Another World's one of the best games ever. Why are you sad? :colbert:

Well, it already got a remake, so it's not really revolutionary getting it on GoG.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

AxeManiac posted:

FYI: A VM is a virtual machine, an image. You need to buy the software and use a legit OS, so we can't have people trading vm images here.

Cracking down on someone asking for Windows 98? Seriously?

Also, there are a lot of free VM solutions: VirtualBox is free, VirtualPC was free (not sure if MS has removed it since it's integrated in Win7) and VMWare has their Player software which cannot create images, but can use existing ones.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the problem, oh well, I was hoping I could play it on my laptop with a controller, looks like a desktop game then.

Speaking of bad moves by ID games, mouselook wasn't defaulted in Quake 1, you had to hold down a button to mouse look or mess with the ini (or command line in game)

To be fair to them, full 3D freedom was a quite new concept, so they hadn't nailed stuff down. Did it even have WASD as movement by default?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
As long as they continue to be DRM free and offer low prices, I don't care what they do. I bet that within a year we will see a new release being parallel-pushed on Steam, D2D and GOG at once.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
drat, this almost beats Triton in the "disappears off the face of the earth" class of WTFs.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I am very, very glad that I never delete anything. But I still hope that they enable downloads again, or at best, resurrect from the dead. Apparently they've patched some games since their initial release on GOG, and a lot of my installers are from 2008-2009.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Honest Thief posted:

Okay if this is true it's a stupid stunt
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23418875&postcount=240

Well, something weird is going on - they discuss it more at the next page in that thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407829&page=6

Maybe the "end of the beta" actually means "end of DRM free games" too, if their new shareholders don't like the idea.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
This is definitely more than a service "hiccup". CDProjekt is going to have some kind of conference next week according to the previously mentioned thread, so there's stuff happening.

At best, there will be a new name together with a new design.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
If they start a new site, I'm 100% certain they won't be DRM free anymore.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
You know, I think it's time they change the "Games" part of their title too. After all, they sold Master of Orion 3 there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

SomeChump posted:

What's the hate with Steam's DRM? It's probably the fairest and easiest to work with in the industry.

The problem is that it's there. Which is why GOG was great. Not even a half-assed attempt at protection, just "Install whenever and wherever you want".

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Which is great so long as its feasible, and if what's going on right now is a sign that they're DRM-free approach lost feasibility, DRM like Steam's is not a terrible alternative. The only thing I worry about is having two clients running for two different things all the time (since Steam runs 24/7 on my computer) so if they do go this route I hope it'd be reasonably lightweight.

I don't think DRM/no DRM comes down to lack of feasibility. I must admit I don't have stats for it, but I am willing to bet that DRM (or lack thereof) doesn't matter one bit when it comes to how often a game gets pirated.

What it comes down to is that someone in management says "We must have DRM to protect our property!".

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
If you're so paranoid about data integrity, just use QuickPAR. Then back up to Amazon/Dropbox/Whatever and keep files both on disk and burn them to a DVD. It would then take an act of divine assholery for you to lose all three copies at once, and you're guaranteed the integity (and can even recover even if some blocks on the HD/DVD has gone bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Drox posted:

That's a good point. All they need to do is say "hey guys we are shutting down here's a week, connect one last time to turn on Offline Mode, it's been good."

Offline mode in its current state only lasts 30 days. Sure, they could patch that, but in that case they could patch it in some other, better way anyway.

Also, people are referring to how Valve has promised to patch this if they go under, but when did they last make this promise? Because I remember them saying it years ago, when the Steam catalog consisted of only Valve games plus Rag Doll Kung Fu. Things have changed since then.