Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Charles Martel posted:

There's absolutely zero. Once you purchase a game, you can download it (and it's extra goodies) as many times as you want, burn it to a CD/DVD, and install it on all of your other computers if you want. There's no restrictions whatsoever.

And that's why I've been buying games from them that I already own in addition to ones I don't. It's just way more convenient to be able to download a game I've bought when I want to install it instead of hunting down the CD somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ohvee posted:

That's true. I definitely remember when I was waiting to get invited before they opened up the site that it promised that the games would be available forever.
I just did a quick check of the site and it looks like they must have silently changed that. I didn't see any trace of that kind of statement.

Add a game to your cart. It says it over on the right:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Vidmaster posted:

Heroes 3 complete for $10 is a loving steal, as you'll get about a billion hours of gameplay out of it between 3 sets of campaigns and all the individual maps, plus the random map generator it includes. Also, Armageddon's blade is impossible to find anywhere, so it's doubly awesome that you get that expansion. The conflux town is sweet.

There's also the free unofficial expansion. It adds a boatload of features, including a scripting language for map creation.

Woebin posted:

I seem to be alone in this, but if you've got a complete collection I really think you should play II first. Yes, III is probably the best in the series, but II has some really nice, hand-drawn graphics that you just won't appreciate as much if you play III first.

It also has Mutant Zombies.

II is my personal favorite just because of the soundtrack. There aren't many games that had operas commissioned for them.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Weedle posted:

Almost certainly. All of the video in the original game was in Quicktime format, which is horrendously inefficient in regard to file size. They've probably been re-encoded as H.264 files or something.

Well, there was a DVD version of Riven released as part of the Myst 10th anniversary collection, so I'm guessing this is just a re-release of that. It came out in 2003, so it's probably Xvid encodes or something (I never really looked at the video encoding on my copy of that).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

raezr posted:

Real Myst is just Myst with realtime 3d graphics (the original is entirely prerendered) I haven't played Real Myst myself but I've heard both positive and negative opinions about it compared to the original. Everything in the game is the same though, except it apparently has a bonus level.

Personally, I prefer RealMYST, but nobody should let the "bonus level" be the deciding factor between that and classic MYST. It's more of an extra room jammed into the game than a real extra Age.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BigRed0427 posted:

quick question. I just bought a game off of GOG and I got a screen for Mastercard Securecard that was supposely sponsered by my bank. I didn't do it. Just wondering if anyone else saw that and if its legit, or if someone was trying to scam me.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Since they picked up the Sierra catalog via the Activision deal, they've put out too many good games for me to keep up with. I still need to play through Gabriel Knight 1 (though it's kind of hard to get into, given that I keep getting popping sounds in the audio) and I haven't even bought the Space Quest pack yet. Now we're getting GK2 and some King's Quest games. :gonk:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

xarph posted:

Even the better quality cd-audio music really isn't these days with the advancements in MIDI synthesis. Hell, in Dosbox on my Mac, I set the music to play through the roland MT-32 emulator. It gets passed through CoreAudio, which uses the same midi patches as Garageband. It's wonderful! :sax:

Yeah, that's on a Mac. If there's a good way to use decent samples in Windows without getting a Creative Labs card or something, I'm not aware of it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Braid and Flower are the first things that come to mind for me, though Flower's a PS3 exclusive.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Y'know, they keep having these awesome sales on games I've already bought from them, so I'm going to wait until the *Quest games go on sale before I buy them for the fourth time. That'll show 'em!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Blodskur posted:

Weekend promo: Complete the Gabriel Knight collection for 30% off it all, or the an individual game for 15% off the price.

GOG.com posted:

You already own all games from this promo. Enjoy them. :)

I see this message far more often than I'd like. :(

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Awesome Andy posted:

Well just picked up Heroes of might and magic 3! Time to go raid some castles with Pegasus.

This doesn't directly apply here (since it doesn't work with the GOG release, unfortunately), but for people who have actual disc copies of Heroes 3, some guy's created a high resolution patch that even does widescreen resolutions.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

doctorfrog posted:

So it sounds like HoMM III is a bit like Jagged Alliance 2, in that you don't just participate in a static line of battles, but there's some map travel and battlefield choice, and some minor city/empire building and resource management involved.

I'm going on a weird, sporadic strategy game binge for some reason, and buying far more games than I have hours to play them. Just recently:

- bought Master of Orion pack
- downloaded Alien Assault
- downloaded Panzer General Forever
- bought Jagged Alliance 2
- considering HoMM III

The awesome thing is that just about all of these will run on a flash drive, and play well on a netbook of negligible power. It's just great you can pack all these great wars with you wherever you go.

If you end up getting HoMM3, be sure to grab the fan-made In the Wake of Gods expansion. It adds a ton of stuff to the game, though I'd suggest playing through the vanilla version first to get used to it. There's also an HD patch, but it doesn't work with the GoG version just yet. It does recognize the WoG executable, though, so you can at least get it running with that if you want.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I mentioned the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 HD patch a few pages back, but it wasn't compatible with the GoG release at the time. Well, version 2.0 was just released, which has a GoG compatibility pack you can download, so if you have the game, you should get this. It makes it so much better, especially when running on a widescreen monitor.

Edit: After looking into turning this into a WoG package, I found that if you want to use it with WoG, you have to have WoG installed before installing the HD patch (or you'll get errors when trying to run HD WoG) and then you have to run Heroes3HDSetup.exe twice (or you'll get resource errors when trying to run the HD version of the base game). I left a message for the author on the forums where he posted the release, so hopefully he'll look into it. If you don't use WoG, though, this doesn't really matter, since the patch works fine on just the base game alone.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 14, 2010

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Emo Businessman posted:

Are there any forum threads/screenshots? I wouldn't mind seeing how it looks.

Sure, there's a thread here where the author's been making releases. I'll take some quick screenshots to share, too.

OK, here we go. Everything's at 1920x1080, since that's what I'm running.

Map:

Overview map (the new globe icon) at 2x:

Grail map (via the new puzzle piece icon):

Hero info screen:

Town:

Battle:

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 14, 2010

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I just tried changing it to windowed mode and it wanted me to switch to 16-bit color, so it doesn't appear that it does it well, no. The patch author still seems to be working on it, so maybe later, but I don't really know what his plans are for sure.

Edit: Looks like 2.01 was released. It seems to fix the install error if you have both the base game and WoG installed, but you still need to install WoG before the patch. I packed it into a WoG package for easy installation, if anybody cares. Just install it like you would a normal package (put it in your WoG install directory with the rest of the packages and install WoG or in your HoMM3 directory and run h3wupd.exe if you already installed WoG) and it'll pop up the patch tool after it's installed.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 15, 2010

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

SixOhSix posted:

And every thread has someone who posts about where they think things should be strictly limited to. Such is the cycle of the forums.

Whoa, stop talking about the forums. This is the GoG thread, not the forums thread. <:mad:>

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

deichkind42 posted:

Has anyone here tried Heroes of Might And Magic 3 under windows 7 32-bit?
I want to get the game for my netbook, but i'd like to know if it runs stable at first. (They really should hurry up with the Windows 7 compatibility fixes)

If it works just fine under Windows 7 x64 (and it does), I'm sure it'll be fine on the 32-bit version.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

That dude's emoticons are obnoxious but he's right about Steam loving over Euros with that dollar conversion.

On the other hand, GOG includes a 15% VAT charge that I shouldn't have to pay. v:)v

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
They're apparently redoing the downloader, so it wouldn't surprise me if the old one didn't work any more.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh, lighten up.

http://www.gr0g.com/en/frontpage

That's just mean. :smith:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
That's a good question. I remember I had to request an invite from their site and then wait a few days before I got one.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BigJoe posted:

No one has any idea if EA will jump on board, but everyone is praying that it will happen. Getting old Need for Speed titles would be amazing (as would pretty much every game we get if they did sign on).

I'd love to see EA sign on. They own Westwood, which means they own the Kyrandia games. I really, really want to see those be made available again, especially DRM-free.

BiggerJ posted:

Speaking of signing with publishers, I wonder what current and prospective signed publishers thought of the fake shutdown stunt. Could it have hurt GOG.com's chances of signing with further publishers like EA?

That probably depends on what it does to sales. Speaking for myself, it's not going to change any of my purchasing habits, but the same might not be true for other people.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I bought Planescape Torment, but I'm quickly being reminded why I don't usually play CRPGs from the late 90s (the interface is poo poo).

:v:: OK, I need to get a key to get out of the morgue.
:zombie:: Splort.
:v:: Time to see where I need to go next.
:downs:: I need a key to open this door.
:v:: Well, maybe it's this other door.
:raise:: Apparently I need to use the key manually. Whatever. He's standing next to the door, so let's put it in the "quick item" area and try to use it from there. The manual says I should use this key icon in the right-click menu and then select an item, but I'm just getting a purple border around it. I'm guessing I need to click on the door at some point to actually use it, but my cursor hasn't changed or anything.
:mad:: Well, maybe it's the other door.
:fuckoff:

I still don't know how to use this drat key and the manual is really "helpful" with this:

TFM posted:

Use Item
Left-clicking on this button causes the selected
character to use the next item that you select
with your mouse.

Yeah, that's obviously working. Great job, guys. I can see why you're still in business.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Xachariah posted:

I don't understand the problem. You just open the door normally and it automatically consumes the key. I think you're clicking on the wrong door.

There are two doors that I can find in the room. One in the northwest and one in the south. Clicking on both of them gets me the same thing. And, yes, I'm clicking on it with the Nameless One, who is also the one carrying the key. Unless there's something I'm missing, there's only the one key in the room, which is the Preparation Room Key that I have.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Armor-Piercing posted:

I just checked again, and I was wrong too. I never noticed that door at the South end. So yeah, there are three doors. South end, North center, and Northwest corner. The one you want is in the Northwest corner, just to the left of the table where you get the scalpel.

Oh, God drat it. I thought that was a wall. Apparently I'm retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I don't know how many people care, but the new version of the HoMM3 HD patch supports 32-bit color and Aero Glass in windowed mode:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.