Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise announcement time! Postal: Classic And Uncut for $5.99, Postal 2 Complete coming "in the coming weeks" soon for $9.99

EDIT: Baah, beaten by mere seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hooray for Cyan appearing on GoG! Though apparently the reason for them popping up there isn't quite as awesome as the results.

According to an e-mail from Rand Miller and public history, Cyan has been pretty much drowning for a while, laying off nearly all their staff and becoming an external code tester to try and stay afloat. However, they apparently lost a big client and this seems to be their way of trying to get enough money to stay afloat long enough to clean up Uru's vast mess of a source code for a public release so they can die with some form of dignity.

How the mighty have fallen. :( But on a more positive note, one of the ScummVM coders is working on Myst and Riven support!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Overwined posted:

I've never played the old one, but I really like the art style on the remake and am thinking of buying it. The art style is the perfect use of low-res assets without trying to force them into a high-res mold. It looks old and new at the same time.
It is the old assets, sprite-wise. The original game used Vector graphics for sprites as opposed to pixel art, so this updated version just renders the vectors at a higher resolution.

The backgrounds are repainted, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zenith Nadir posted:

I wish I could actually see the site to find out how true this is, I'll buy Blood in a heartbeat if it's presented similarly to Redneck Rampage's rerelease.
It is true! It comes out in two days, and includes the two expansion packs (Plasma Pak and Cryptic Passage) and the soundtrack. $5.99, as always.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

Not that there were a lot of Build games
There were actually around 13 of the buggers.

electrigger posted:

Beat the first episode of Blood. This game is such a fun use of the BUILD engine. Wish there were some other things to kill besides cultists, zombies, and gargoyles though...
Episode 2 adds a bunch of new enemies, like Fish Men and So Many Goddamn Spiders.

Not really GoG related, but definitely awesome-old-games related, The free-download revamped version of Mechwarrior 4 has finally been cleared by Microsoft legal and is coming soon!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 23, 2010

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Healbot posted:

There's still no Source Code available, so either Atari doesn't want to release it or it simply got lost. Don't get your hopes up for any changes in that direction. :smith:
The code isn't lost. One of the original coders has it. However, he kind of doesn't want to risk his career by releasing it without Atari's approval.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Quickie on JA2 1.13 (because the thread for 1.13 is nine miles long): is it mostly-vanilla when you install it, or is it necessary to pore through ini files and changelogs to figure out how to turn off space aliens and lasers? I've been burned on these "dude, don't even play this game until you've installed this totally cool fan patch first!" addons.
I think be an INI file editor if you want to change things around easily. You should be fine by default, but if you're new it's best to turn off the Drassen Counterattack in the INI.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ansob. posted:

Are there any source ports for RotT? I've grown fat and indolent and am too used to mouse control to play the FPSes from my childhood again.
Here ya go!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nanpa posted:

That depends, apparently the reason a lot of those haven't shown up on gog is due to some licence issues involving the original developers (Raptor for instance was developed by someone else, and published by Apogee).
This. Apogee generally let developers keep the rights to their games to use as they pleased. I'd imagine Raptor was bought to GOG by the original developer.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dominic White posted:

Even APB gave warning before shutting down - it wasn't like they just went 'welp, bye'. The fact that they've just vanished altogether, leaving nothing but some happy memories and a white page of text is astoundingly, mindblowingly unproffessional.
So unprofessional, the page was thrown together in an ancient version of Microsoft Frontpage!

quote:

code:
<html><head><title>GOG.com</title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
PC Gamer's website says they'll have an interview with the GOG guys on Thursday.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sonance posted:

When L4D2 dropped, I went into the main boycott group, clicked on members at random and every single one of them had purchased the game. I gave up after about a dozen or so. I'm sure a small fraction of them stuck to their principles, but everyone else was there simply because they wanted to jump on board the :bandwagon:.
I remember Valve talking about how L4D2 sold more/faster among the boycotters. Their theory was that the boycotters were just passionate about the games and angry at poor communication from Valve.

...which kind of fits this GOG event, really. Hilariously awful communication ("Hey, let's promote our upgrade by highlighting one of the fundamental flaws of digital distribution!") annoying people who really like and trust(ed) the service.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Thuryl posted:

I can understand people not trusting GOG after a stunt like this. On the other hand, you don't need to trust GOG to buy from them, since there's no DRM: you can just download and back up everything as soon as you buy it.
On this topic: How bad a person am I for backing up each GOG purchase (plus disc) to it's own disc, with appropriate DVD case art, instead of just dumping them on a USB stick somewhere?
:goonsay:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tecman posted:

I'd like to see a photo of your burned collection. :)
I tried but I don't have a good enough camera to get anything other than a blurry mess. You're not missing much anyway - it was more of a fun way to get to grips with some image editing features than anything, you know, good, while backing up my stuff like a good person.

I probably should have stuck with collection disks instead, but oh well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gashroom posted:

I would bet one or more X-Com games are in the batch... would be kinda disappointing, but they are high profile Hasbro titles and already on several DD sites.
I believe the X-Com rights are held by 2K Games nowadays, since they did the Steam re-releases and are making that new FPS game that made the entire internet furious.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I found it rather amusingly ham-fisted and :911: that there is a whole series of secret areas leading to Taliban hideouts and encampments, culminating in a battle with Osama Bin Laden, from whom you get the WMDs, a weapon so SECRET!! that even the "unlock all weapons" cheats don't give them to you. There is a surprising amount of world geometry dedicated to these areas, and it takes a long-rear end time to fight your way through it all. It's not even marked on the ingame map (try bringing it up while you're there and P. Dude will remark on it).

Where do you find the entrance to these secret areas? In your backyard. :tipshat:
Apparently they actually added these in an update - one of Dude's lines in AW is something along the lines of "They probably don't like me very much after I killed so many of them in the patch!"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

- Battlezone 1
- Ground Control 1
- Tyrian 2000
- Star Control 2
- Chex Quest (stretching it a bit, yes)

Are there enough legitimately free, legitimately classic old games for a FrOGNOG: Free Old Games Not On GOG?*

*some games might be on GOG, but can be had elsewhere too.
Some of these do stretch "classic" a bit, but they're old, fun and free, so...

3D Realms has a couple of their old games (Alien Carnage, Bio-Menace, Major Stryker and Stargunner, among others) available as freeware, though you'll have to DOSbox them up yourself.

Remedy has freely released a Windows-native port of Death Rally that doesn't need any additional fiddling.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sale time! Strategy First's set.

Also, if you had an account before the "shutdown" you're getting Jagged Alliance Deadly Games (or another Strategy First game of your choice from a given list if you already have it) for free!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Threep posted:

Someone buy it and tell us what they did with the CD keys. DRM free is a tricky thing in the case of NWN because it's the server that validates your CD key when you play online.
I could have swore there are some games on GOG that come with unique CD Keys for this reason.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Now what on earth are GOG up to now?

"POLICE EVIDENCE - DO NOT OPEN UNTIL 1/18"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The developers of Arx Fatalis have released a new patch out of nowhere. It makes the game play nice with modern PCs and operating systems. I'm not sure whether it works on GOG's version, but that doesn't really matter - Arkane have also released the game's source code, so if they or GOG don't fix it, someone will.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New releases!

Zork I, Zork II, Zork III, Beyond Zork, Zork Zero, and Planetfall. for $5.99

Police Quest 1-4 for $9.99

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise! The Last Express has just pulled up to the station for $5.99.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Woozy posted:

Any chance of Syndicate getting the GOG treatment? Or Shadow Watch? Or X-Com? I just need more games like X-Com, okay?
Syndicate: Owned by EA, so probably not for a good while yet.
Shadow Watch: Owned by Ubisoft, so it's possible.
X-Com: Owned by 2K Games. I don't think they're on GOG, are they? Entire series is on Steam if you can't wait.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of adventure games, new release! Return to Zork. $6. Has graphics.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
1.) The Strategy First sale prices are now permanent. Yay, prices!
2.) The Pinball Gold Pack (Pinball Dreams 1 and 2, Pinball Illusions, Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Mania) is now out for :10bux:.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The teasing has begun: "What game made you dream of the stars?"

Cue wild speculation!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And the guessing continues: "What game made you go to the underworld?"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

...which is completely incompatible with the gimped SCUMM releases on Steam :(
Actually, the only reason ScummVM doesn't work on the Steam releases is that the ScummVM team deliberately hasn't added support for them.

sev posted:

...it is matter of five minutes hack for adding support of these games to ScummVM, as basically it is just a slight format change, not any kind of copy protection or encryption. Adding such kind of support would remain completely legal, just as ScummVM was always legal with running other game versions, and nobody rights will be violated.

However, we decided to abstain from it at least for now. It seems that LucasArts' folks are pretty aware about us, we've been even mentioned on their twitter account, and there is a chance that we could be contacted. We do not want to interfere with their sales and/or any upcoming plans for other platforms.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Furret Basket posted:

Hell I'd still buy the entire Microsoft Entertainment Pack for $5. Especially if it had 64bit support.
You can get a version of Skifree that works on 64-bit Windows from the author's home page.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Centipeed posted:

Now that we know that GOG's bark is bigger than their bite, this cornucopia of new and exciting features is going to be the ability to add friends to your profile or some stupid poo poo like that.
They talked about the upgrades during their live stream. It's a better optional Downloader client, Private and IM messaging with other users, an improved checkout system, compatibility with the latest browsers, and an easier coupon system. So you're close!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Site upgrade is complete, and they're releasing another free game later today: Dragonsphere by Microprose.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Moto Racer 2 is back online without the copy-protection bug! Cue a week-long promo on the series. It's the usual "50% off for the lot, otherwise 30% off" deal.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Hey, my copy of Masters of Magic is running like poo poo from gog, my laptop used to play the dosbox one just fine, but this one goes so slow. Any tricks to getting it to run faster? I won't want it real time, I want it stupid fast so turns don't take forever.
I don't specifically have Masters of Magic, but if it's anything like any other Dosbox-powered games on GOG...

1.) Look for a .conf file in the game's install directory. Open it in Notepad.
2.) Look for a section that looks a little like this...
code:
[cpu]
# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: normal,simple,dynamic,auto.
#         auto switches from normal to dynamic if appropriate.
# cycles -- Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond.
#           Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.
#           You can also let DOSBox guess the correct value by setting it to max.
#           The default setting (auto) switches to max if appropriate.
# cycleup   -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
# cycledown    Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=auto
cycles=8000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20
3.) Change the value of "cycles" from whatever number it is now to "max". This'll tell Dosbox to throw your entire Core i7 watercooled monster at your 386-intended turn-based game from 1994. Alternatively, you can set it to "auto" and let Dosbox decide for you.

This should work with all Dosbox games on GOG, by the way, though in some rare cases it might cause weird bugs in whatever game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

What are some games we can look forward to if it's 2k?
Off the top of my head? Civilization, Grand Theft Auto, Myth, Oni, XCOM, Max Payne, Freedom Force, Mafia, Dungeon Siege... It's a pretty decent library, yeah. Certainly not EA or Lucas, but nothing to sniff at.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

The System Shock IP's owned by like 3 different companies. Nobody knows who actually owns the rights to sell it. Or make a sequel. :(
EA started work on a System Shock 3 a while back, but at some point they decided to make it an original game and it evolved into Dead Space. I wonder how much the supposed legal clusterfuck influenced that decision?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I suspect Syndicate isn't part of the deal for now, so that EA can do something with it closer to their new Syndicate game's release.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Chairman Pow! posted:

having a hard time getting on to the site, did they confirm the ultima series as coming to GOG?
Underworld is out right now, so I think it's safe to assume so.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sorry, since I can't get on the site, are there any neat extras with the new EA games? Or is it like, just manuals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but EA has set up Ultima Forever, which has the Ultima 4 full version download if you somehow missed it before EA took it down recently.