Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Topware released Knightshift, right? Hopefully that'll show up on the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Chessmaster9000 is now up. Eh, I guess the Chessmaster series is pretty legendary, sounds like this one has a lot of content and can help you be good at the game, although playing against an AI never is as good as a human opponent...

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Oh wow, I remember Sanitarium. That game was freaky as hell, once in awhile I would think about it but no one else that I knew had ever heard of the game! Heh, hopefully some people will check it out, it's definitely one hell of an adventure.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The Myst games are less about gameplay and more about the "experience". Heh, maybe it was the original "games as art" title, way before we thought of such things. I remember being so mesmerized when I played Myst for the first time...it really was like exploring a whole new world with fantastic (for the time) graphics. I think it was also one of the earlier games that really shot for the older and mature demographic instead of kids like most games of the time did. Yeah, moving and clicking your mouse through every pixel to find something to interact with isn't the best game design, but it's not really about that.

Riven is also a great game that requires you to really use your mind to get through it. Lots of the puzzles seem unfair, but you just have to be in the right mindset and know how to explore. It can be overwhelming at first though, since there are a ton of ways to go at the beginning. Playing the game without having to worry about swapping discs will definitely help tho, the constant swapping between islands got annoying!

I never played the Myst games that came out after Riven, heard mixed things about the newer games and by the time they came out the genre was dead. I'm not sure how well the series has aged, but the art direction was always fantastic so I'm sure it still holds up.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I really wonder how they determine the most helpful review. Sometimes it's just a few sentences that don't really explain anything, whereas a review buried down there goes into great detail and gives you a good idea of what you're getting into.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah, makes sense. I know that they used to have review contests to encourage well-written reviews, although sometimes I was really baffled at the ones that won compared to the ones that didn't. Heh, maybe there were enough people wondering the same thing and that's why they stopped the promotion? I dunno, just seems like half of the reviews are the things you'd see in a forum post, I've never really found their reviews very helpful when deciding to buy something, kind of wish they would enforce higher standards on them. Ah well, at least this thread helps with that!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

GreatGreen posted:

You know what GoG needs?

Terminal Velocity

I remember that I played Fury3 first, then found TV and thought it was a blatant ripoff of the game. I'd like to see Fury3 show up here, but I'm sure getting Microsoft on board will be impossible!

Andrigaar posted:

RR was one of the hardest Build games out there with the Witchaven games barely edging it out with even more massive odds of dying on normal or easy. Not that there were a lot of Build games, but pretty much all of them were punishingly difficult really.

Heh, I remember NAM being pretty difficult. Tried to simulate the real difficulties of the Vietnam war or some nonsense...not a very good game...I also think it came out way after Build was past its prime.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
All right, I bought the Tex Murphy games and decided to play them in order. I start up Mean Streets, get in the car, and the help tells me that I need to use + in order to go forward. My laptop computer has + as a shift of =, and the game won't recognize it for whatever reason. The minus key works fine for going in reverse, but it makes in impossible to get anywhere.

Anyone know a way to fix this?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

doctorfrog posted:

So, Panzer General II is up, how does it compare with the older 5-star Generals?

I wonder if it means anything that GOG has created the forum for Panzer General II as "Panzer General Series." This is separate from the "Panzer Elite" forum (which probably has no relation anyway). Could other PG games be on the horizon, perhaps Panzer/Allied/People's/Fantasy/Star?

I used to play PG2 a lot back in the day, from what I remember it was a really good strategy game and has a lot of depth. One of the more memorable points is that if you do really good in the Axis campaign, you can actually end up launching an invasion on the American mainland.

I also really loved the Steel Panthers series as a kid! Who has the rights to those now?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Anyone have any thoughts on which UFO game is the best?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Ah bloody hell, I bought them all. Was gonna skip Aftershock but reviews said it's good once you mod it, so what the hell, only $5.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Anyone know if the Incredible Machine pack has the CD music still in? The music was the best part of TiM3!

Still waiting for the Incredible Toon Machine to come up...that's the one I had the most fond memories of back in the day...

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I was actually thinking of Moto Racer as a game I really wish GOG would get. I played the hell out of it as a kid, if I remember there were also two free tracks released on the official website, wonder if those are in this download.

Got the sequel since I loved the first one so much, the game is really only worthwhile for the track editor. It's super-easy to use, but it becomes painfully obvious that the large number of "official" tracks were just made in the editor and lack any real personality, which is disappointing since the first game had such awesome tracks.

Never played the 3rd one but was interested in it since it seemed to go back to the style of the first game. I'll probably just wait for a sale and grab them all at once.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
So, what's the best pinball game on the site? Feel like spending some time playing around with digital flippers. Has anyone played Dream Pinball 3D?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

teethgrinder posted:

Speaking of barely any AI, they need to get Ascendancy up on here.

Heh, they fixed that eventually, right? I bought the game at retail and enjoyed it somewhat in the beginning stages, but after a certain point you couldn't play the game anymore because you'd be bogged down with requests from different races every single bloody turn. I eventually just declared war on everyone so they'd stop trying to come to me, but sure enough after a few turns they'd be back asking for peace. Never played with the patch, but I'd be willing to try the game out again if it appeared on the service.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Ah drat, when did the Activision sale end? I just got the hankering to play Kings Quest 6 again, but the packs aren't on sale anymore. Ah well, guess I'll just wait for them to do a KQ bundle or something.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Dirk Muscleton posted:

Maybe I am - the argument I remember was something like one of the ____ games being better for multiplayer, the other one much better for single player, and one of them had a randomly-generated skirmish mode.

If that doesn't sound like HoMM then looks like I'll be grabbing 3.

You're thinking of the Age of Wonders series, although I also can't see many compelling reasons why anyone would choose the second game over the third one in that series either (although I don't know much about multiplayer in those games).

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Ahh, those early PC pinball games take me back! I remember playing the old Dreams series and beyond back in the day, along with classics like Epic Pinball, Extreme Pinball, Absolute Pinball, and countless others!

I guess you're getting 5 games for $10, but I think 6 would have been an easier sell.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I really liked the first Moto Racer, very much an arcade racer with a lot of fun tracks. Stuff like ManxTT or whatever. Speeding through western towns or climbing through ancient ruins was always enjoyable. The second one had more features and a very easy to use track editor, but after playing around with it you realize that all of the default tracks were made with the editor. There's just no soul to them.

Never played the 3rd one. Maybe I'll grab them all just to relive the memories of blasting through Red City.

Heh, they should try and sign Sega! I'd like to play the PC port of Daytona Deluxe again.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Is Heroes Chronicles any good?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, if the GOG release is the Kilrathi Saga version (ie, runs in windows), you can download the expansion packs, for free, legally, from the Wing Commander CIC.

Anyone want to confirm whether or not these work with the GOG release?

I definitely agree that WC was the perfect mix of sim and arcade play, tons of fun to play and the branching storyline makes it very easy to replay. WC3 is probably my favorite in the series and I played through it countless time. It's really easy to get into, but has enough depth to keep things interesting the whole way through. It's definitely from the golden age of spacesim games, right up there with the Lucasarts classics.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

scamtank posted:

Not at all. They're pretty dry and hardcore business simulators, the sequel a bit lighter than the first game.

They're also really drat hard and unforgiving. Don't expect to beat the first tutorial for some time, although once you get the hang of things and figure out how the game works, you can definitely enjoy it. Definitely not for the casual gamer though, if you can actually clear all the scenarios you might as well try to get an MBA.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

GBC Daikatana is decent from what I remember. In terms of gameplay and development cycle it doesn't really have much to do with the FPS, which is basically a disaster.

Yeah, the GBC game is actually not a bad RPG. I remember finding the rom some time ago and thinking "oh man, Daikatana on the GBC? This is gonna be terrible.", and found myself actually playing through the game and somewhat enjoying it. Of course who knows how it would stand in modern standards, but it was a hell of a lot better than the PC game. There's a review on GOG that says the game is just boring, and that's probably the best way I would describe it.

Anyone ever play the N64 port?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I had the Dreamcast version. The game itself was super ambitious, but the actual action parts of the game are terrible and get in the way of the storyline and exploration. At the time it was super impressive to be able to walk around a functional futuristic city, dunno how well it holds up tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Mr Right posted:

Anyone chiming in on the Capitalism 2 v Capitalism Plus?

Never played the original but Cap 2 is absolutely brutal so I'm not sure if they expect you to have experience with the series. I couldn't even get past the first tutorial map, I think that if you actually manage to complete all the scenarios you should be awarded an MBA or something. Probably one of the most difficult sim games I've ever played, but tons of depth to it.