Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Charles Martel posted:

So, I just stumbled across this while checking out Apogee's full list of games on Wikipedia: List of Commercial games available as freeware, and...wow! I never knew Abuse, the Dark Sun games, Ground Control, and Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe were now free! I forgot Apogee's Boppin' is now free too.

And with that, I'm going to bed.

Speaking of Dark Sun (and noting GOG's conspicuous lack of AD&D games - hope they fix that soon), you can get the single-player Dark Sun games here. Their forums have tips for DOSbox.

e: How long has Bioware been linked under Developers in the catalog? There are no entries for games of theirs yet and it's not for the Fallout series either - those are under Black Isle. Is this news or have I missed a post in this thread?

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Pandaman posted:

There's Shattered Steel which, by the way, is awesome if a little dated now.

Ah, OK. I clicked on Bioware under the catalog's dev section and there was nothing listed - figured there was a chance it was a pre-announcement update.

e: clicked again and both MDK2 and Shattered Steel show up. I do remember MDK being listed a good while back, so it's half me forgetting MDK's developer and half weird site issues maybe? Maybe there was a filter applied at the time.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 11, 2009

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Androc posted:

Ohhh god the memories. The actual meeting with the king of the dead scared the poo poo out of younger-me. To this day, I still wonder what he did to get shackled to the throne. That was such an amazing character design.

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Samhain for answer
(unless you meant very very specifically) :)

Great game, and now that the Dosbox KQ collection is out on Steam, I'm hoping it'll pop up on GOG. I got the KQ collection through retail a few years ago, and tried it on my system before giving it as a gift.

If memory serves, they don't include the KQ6 HD pack or whatever it was (the module or version that gave higher-res dialogue portraits) and there certainly isn't any desktop and soundtrack sort of bonus stuff like GOG would offer.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 11, 2009

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Now to hope they add RealMyst (enhanced, realtime 3D Myst 1) after the two they've already teased.

I can't find anywhere safe to simply purchase it for keeps without buying nine-year-old CDs at jacked-up prices, and no longer have access to the borrowed copy I putzed around with a couple of years back. Just as well, since I remember technical problems on an older Vista PC (built ~2004) and GOG installers typically take care of those.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Sun Is Tangging posted:

What I mean is, where is the link on GOG to navigate to that page? As far as I can tell, there no longer is one.

Community / General discussion / Welcome, please read!

It's the "Games Wishlist" link. I've been there nearly two years and never found it any other way. Never really used their forums either, aside from that sticky.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 18, 2010

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

for some reason I meant dark sun but typed gold box :downs:

both of them look pretty impenetrable tbh
preface edit: this post is only about Dark Sun

The second one is plagued by the same basic engine and architecture as its simpler predecessor, but SUPER SPRITES and some inconsistent style / design choices. The most outstanding idiotic choice is the punishment you get for importing your DS1 characters if you don't transfer their loot to separate new DS2 ones: double HP on every enemy forever, including the endgame ones (a tarrasque etc)

The GOG version of DS2 is at least the patched, voiced-dialog good version, it's not unplayable or missing anything. Keep a few saves, of course.

DS1 one is much lower detail visually (with the benefit of having a consistent aesthetic), but it either wasn't rushed or wasn't understaffed. It's a good tight game if you liked IWD type combat-heavy games.

The main issues are going to come from the janky implementation of traps and pathfinding (either lead with a solo thief, or turn on cleric/mage detect in dungeons), the ease of missing late game benefits if you don't start the main plot early, or the ease of missing psionics or investing in the "wrong" spells. You can always crank down the difficulty, it's basically a primitive 1992 version of infinity engine games.

Editpitaph: if you get play these, you seriously might as well multi-class everything since it's a party of four. Maybe dual-class a gladiator if you're using a human.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 8, 2017

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Testekill posted:

The Heroes series is really good for the most part. IV has people divided about it but 3 is the pinnacle of the series even coming from me as a person that isn't hugely into strategy games.

Speaking of, 4 / dark messiah isn't on GOG. Is it a source engine thing (nope) or what? It's a nice single player 1st person view action adventure. But no idea on the multi, assume it's dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
edit: claimed

Dark Sun 1&2 duo code sent to MB-T

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 25, 2017