Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Phy posted:

Working on getting it back out of storage. It runs, I could ride it home tonight if I had my gear with me, but I want to do the valve shims and a carb balance first.

Does my front sprocket look worn enough to be worth replacing? My rear is for sure fine.

I run mine until it looks like a japanese woodcut of a wave. If you run it past that you get built-in traction control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I run mine until it looks like a japanese woodcut of a wave. If you run it past that you get built-in traction control.

See the one I posted last page for what's too much wear

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Last weekend I took off the carrier for the top box I haven’t actually used since probably September.

The bike looks infinitely better.

I should probably just sell it for a few bucks but it also doesn’t take up a ton of room.

I am no anti-top box but I am definitely anti-top box on my Bonneville. I tend to lean practicality over aesthetics but … I just can’t. It’s too ugly and when I took my long road trip last year, it created this wall with my other luggage so that instead of leaning on my duffel being comfortable, it was shoved into my back.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
DRZ just passed inspection without any issues whatsoever and is officially street legal until May of 2026. Hooray!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you guys have to do regular inspections? Or is that just registration?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
no it's a periodic thing for any motor vehicle over 50cc. Always safety, sometimes emissions, sometimes OBD codes depending on vehicle. How often also depends, my car is old enough that it needs to come in every 13 months but motorcycles are every 24, unless brand new when it's twice that for the first inspection (which is what my SV "passed" last week) - it's every 24 henceforth. Once they get old enough motorcycles are exempt.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's interesting. Here I can do one safety and then I'm in some kind of weird ship of theseus situation where I don't really have to think about it again.

I'm sure legally there's some language about how much you can change on a motorcycle before it needs to be re-assessed but I can't say I've had to ever think about it before.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
In the US, inspection requirements can differ even in the same state. The Portland Metro area requires inspections (mostly for exhaust I think?) but the county I live in just south of there doesn't.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I'm my county there are no inspections for anything. The roads are a mad max wasteland where you can register and drive any falling apart heap so long as it isn't so visibly dangerous that you get pulled over for it

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah inspections are annoying and cost time and money but I view them as a net good. They force me to look over my car at least once a year even though I don't really want to because I don't like cars or working on them very much. I'm fairly mechanically literate and at least somewhat sensitive to things being wrong with vehicles compared to most people I know, but I've still failed for stuff going bad I didn't know about but needed to know about, like ball joints, tie rod ends, asymmetric braking and once a rear seat belt that was completely chewed through by a mouse tunnelling for sound deadening foam.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
There were talks of getting bi yearly inspections for motorcycles in Norway, but they actually looked at the statistics. None of the road deaths involving motorcycles was caused by the technical state of the motorcycle.
So the initiative was scrapped. We have so few road deaths that all are investigated properly.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I may be misinformed but I think bikes in Sweden used to be every year but they lengthened the interval, for the similar reasons. The average bike leads a very different life from the average car. Very few miles ridden, no road salt corrosion, rarely ridden at night when lights are important for real, fewer things that can go wrong and more obvious when they do. Less incentive to use a vehicle that's obviously broken too since most bikes are toys more than transportation.

One of the things I had to learn (and carry out in part under scrutiny) before getting licenced to drive or ride was how to do a safety inspection of the vehicle. If done by the book it would check pretty much the same boxes as they do at the vehicle inspection when looking at a motorcycle. But ain't nobody got time for that. Still a good thing to know how to do If riding something for the first time(/in a long time) guess. I sure checked the bearings, shocks and brakes to the best of my abilities before test riding or buying that DRZ, for example. Which I'm gonna ride today for the first time for real even though it's bitterly cold because I'm a child at heart and motorcycles are super fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pulled the valve cover off and recorded clearances, tomorrow is time to have fun with spreadsheets

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Phy posted:

Pulled the valve cover off and recorded clearances, tomorrow is time to have fun with spreadsheets

what kind of bike and what did you find?
generally I find that the exhaust side will have tightened up a bit and the intake side is usually in spec.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
After degreasing the engine to find the source of the leak, it looks like it was two oil pan bolts where the aftermarket belly pan plastic was installed. Tightened them up and haven't seen a new drop of oil since.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

yummycheese posted:

what kind of bike and what did you find?
generally I find that the exhaust side will have tightened up a bit and the intake side is usually in spec.

ZRX1100. Exhausts loose on the left, in spec in the middle, tight on the right. Intakes loose on both outsides, in spec in the middle again. I did the valves myself last time, back in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phy posted:

ZRX1100

:swoon: