Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

M4rg4r1ne posted:

I read the description as "poly cage" and dug deeper just now to read that it stood for "polymer cage".
Polyamide is a polymer, yes.
Trying desperately not to talk about bearings and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

slidebite posted:

Trying desperately not to talk about bearings and poo poo

You can talk Paraphenylenediamine without having to talk bearings.

Just got the new construction catalog from SKF

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
That's the brand of b....spinny things that went on the ends of my crankshaft.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sagebrush posted:

When I saw this picture I thought that was a vehicle. Now I'm sad that it isn't.

Glad I'm not the only one, was trying to figure out how it worked then was sad when I realized it didn't.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

slidebite posted:

Poly amides are generally formed in condesation reactions from a carboxlyic acid (R-COOH) and amines (R-NH2) to form an amide (R-CO-NH-R) and water (H-OH).

Paraphenylenediamine is a cyclic ring with two amine functional groups spaced at 180 degrees (para). It can be combined with a similar compound that has two carboxylic acid functional groups to form a nice straight chain.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

M4rg4r1ne posted:

That's the brand of b....spinny things that went on the ends of my crankshaft.

Did you notice on the box where they were made? Used to be the small ball in North America call from Europe, but I've been seeing a lot more far east stuff.

Not that it should make a difference in quality because the steel is still from Europe, but it is interesting the shift they're doing.

Edit: To understand why I say it's interesting, SKF was the biggest shitter of far east products and quality control out there. At least until they starting doing it. :ninja:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 9, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sir Cornelius posted:

I'm totally serious. You really don't want to lubricate a modern X- or O-ring chain. The key is to keep it clean. 10w40 won't damage your rings but will dissolve road grit. Just wipe it clean and dry.

This actually reminds me has anyone cleaned a chain in transmission fluid? I've used a mix of ATF and kerosene on o-ring chains before, but never run them for very long afterwards.

I've run standard(non o-ring) chains, and leftover motor oil is the best way to lube them. Granted I was doing it every couple days and checking it before every ride.
But yes, 10w40 is a great way to lube. If you use o-ring chains, eally any leftover gear/motor oil is good.

Now as for octane...
I ride old things. My boat is a 71 glastron with a '73 Johnson 2 stroke motor. That gets premium+seafoam, no question.

But what about my bikes from the "Malaise" era? They had leaded gas right? It was therefore generally higher octane right? (I have no idea, I'm 26)
I've really got no clue about this other than when I put regular (87, 10% ethanol) unleaded gas in my CB750, it runs like poo poo.
When I use 91, it runs like less poo poo.
92-93 doesn't seem to make much of a difference from 91 unless I'm already running lean; then it makes a very big difference.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 9, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wouldnt think a CB is at much risk for detonation, which is really the only reason an older bike should be running premium

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Finally watched my Ninja ZX-6R roll into the trailer of its new owner. Bought it for $4.5k, sold it for $4.5k, not bad. Now I have only two ZX-6R's, not three:

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 9, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

But what about my bikes from the "Malaise" era? They had leaded gas right? It was therefore generally higher octane right?

I think they started to phase out leaded gas in the United States around 1970, so anything built after that date *should* be designed to accept unleaded -- hardened valve seats and so on. You can check the compression ratio (more than 10.5 and you should probably be looking at premium) but unless there's pinging or knocking, particularly at high RPM, there's probably no significant benefit to high-octane gas.

On the other hand, premium gas usually has no ethanol in it, and while I'm not aware of ethanol making an engine actually run poorly, it could be a factor.

[e] nope, the EPA made its case in 1972, the phaseout of TEL started in 76, and was completed by 1986. Still, you shouldn't have any real problems.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 9, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

You can check the compression ratio (more than 10.5 and you should probably be looking at premium) but unless there's pinging or knocking, particularly at high RPM, there's probably no significant benefit to high-octane gas.

My bike ('96 GSF600) is 11.3:1 and the factory manual specifies at least 91 RON. That would be 87 AKI and I don't think you can get much lower than that in most parts of the world these days.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

My bike ('96 GSF600) is 11.3:1 and the factory manual specifies at least 91 RON. That would be 87 AKI and I don't think you can get much lower than that in most parts of the world these days.

That's because compression ratio is only half of the equation. Ignition timing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Watched it fall over, not the first time and it won't be the last. Parked on a hill, in gear and shook it around before I walked away. Came back 30 minutes later and as I walked up it rolled a bit and fell over breaking the cheap brush guard I had on for cold weather riding.

Poor SV just wanted a nap

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I haven't done anything yet... but I have a feeling I'll be picking them up off the floor when I get home.

My sister just called me bitching about lack of floorspace in the garage and I'm pretty sure she just suggested that she might 'accidentally' knock them over.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

I think they started to phase out leaded gas in the United States around 1970, so anything built after that date *should* be designed to accept unleaded -- hardened valve seats and so on. You can check the compression ratio (more than 10.5 and you should probably be looking at premium) but unless there's pinging or knocking, particularly at high RPM, there's probably no significant benefit to high-octane gas.

On the other hand, premium gas usually has no ethanol in it, and while I'm not aware of ethanol making an engine actually run poorly, it could be a factor.

[e] nope, the EPA made its case in 1972, the phaseout of TEL started in 76, and was completed by 1986. Still, you shouldn't have any real problems.

It's been a while, by iirc I was getting pre-det at around 5000rpm and the demolished plugs verified it.
Compression is right at 10.5:1 actually and might be higher because I sanded some gauges out of the head. (PO f'ed up a gasket removal)
I also noticed a HUGE difference in the amount of backfiring done while the bike was still running lean (before I rejettted)

Also as for ethanol making an engine perform poorly...
Ethanol gives off less energy at the same compression ratio as gasoline so you're going to lose some HP and MPG from running it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
So I got my dirt wheels which have brand new tires on them. I also got a new tank, it came off a 2002 DRZ E model. It's probably not "compatible" with my model, but I utilized 3 of 4 mounting bolts. It also has the seat cover it by a good amount. I can't figure out what kind of tank this is, but it's huge. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. I just filled my stock tank up and I drained it's contents into the new one. It only filled it up about 1/3 on one side...

So, have you seen this tank?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My sister just called me bitching about lack of floorspace in the garage and I'm pretty sure she just suggested that she might 'accidentally' knock them over.

Wouldn't that actually further decrease the available floor space?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

So I got my dirt wheels which have brand new tires on them. I also got a new tank, it came off a 2002 DRZ E model. It's probably not "compatible" with my model, but I utilized 3 of 4 mounting bolts. It also has the seat cover it by a good amount. I can't figure out what kind of tank this is, but it's huge. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. I just filled my stock tank up and I drained it's contents into the new one. It only filled it up about 1/3 on one side...

Its an IMS 4 gallon tank.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Wouldn't that actually further decrease the available floor space?

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I SAID! "Don't do that, then there will be LESS room."

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
But there would be a large increase in interior living space with all her poo poo on the front lawn.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
:siren:DOUBLE-POST WITH BLURRY PICS:siren:

2 of the screws holding the airbox to the plenum cover were stripped, so the PO cut around them (cutting the o-ring seal in the process). Black RTV to the rescue.

Plenum gunk.

New stator installed, back of the motor buttoned up, ready for reinstallation.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I feel like an idiot! I swapped my stock tank for the Desert tank and I tried to ride earlier. I couldn't get the bike to run without the choke open....

I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out what was going on with no luck. I thought I was going to have to re-install the stock tank. I started looking at it and noticed the second nipple...

I missed that stupid vacuum line, so a quick bolt shoved in the tube and a run to the parts store later and it's all good. The IMS 4 gallon tank seems to fit the SM model DRZ, but it requires grinding down the horn mounting bracket and using a longer bolt to mount both the horn and the tank It's a magic trick holding the horn while screwing the tank and the horn into a hole you can't see and have to shift the tank slightly to get at, but it can be done.

Holy run on sentences batman!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Got my track bike all ready for its first event this year, coming up in two weeks. Woken up from its winter slumber.

Hell yeahs...

Also wired up two microphones that will run into my gropros, safe from wind noise and enclosed in custom padding to further defeat wind-roar, one by the intake and one by the exhaust.

So ready for this!

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 11, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That's going to be loving rad. Where'd you get the mics? Do any tests?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A month ago I bought a $5 mic off Amazon to wire into my dirt bike helmet, they work great and at full speed on my dirt bike they don't produce any wind noise.

These are them:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N0W2B6/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

I plan to do a running test next week to make sure they sound good on the track bike, but I'm expecting good results.

So total cost was $10 for the two mics and the foam I used was from some electronic shipping case scrap that was laying around work.

Hoping to defeat that dulled sound that comes from the sealed GoPro enclosure.

The only modification I had to do to the GoPro case was drilling a small hole in the side for the 3.5mm jack to poke out of.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh brilliant, have been waiting for a test like that!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
My TW200 showed up this Thursday, Minneapolis was 60 and sunny this morning so it was time to swap my parts over.

All of my 2 wheeled babies, forgot to drag the scooter out but thats just as well.

Lets swap some parts!

gently caress....ground wire from battery isnt important right?

Almost there.

Before

After

I still need to move over the front forks of my 06 TW200 (which has disc brakes) to the one I just got which is a 98. The flat bars will get moved over and I'm still debating getting a different light. The light on the new one is really nice but I dont like how much it sticks out.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I placed the engine case halves in the oven for half an hour, dropped the refrigerated crank and bearings in there, squirted gasket maker on the halves and bolted it back together really quickly before the crank warmed up and expanded too.

Older Chinese scooters were known for their stators going bad and flywheels losing their magnetism, so I bought replacements before I ever took the engine apart. Now it turns out that my low voltage issues might have been solved with a thorough cleaning. Oh well.

I used part of a Dr. Pepper can to seal the hole where the oil pump used to go and duct tape for other important areas before reusing the old paper gasket.

Even though I can't use the electric starter anymore, I had to buy a new starter clutch to fit on the new drive shaft before I could install my Italian goodies.

Old cylinder and piston vs. new. You can see the difference in size this way. The external dimensions are identical. It's hard to tell, but the stock exhaust port was restricted to limit the performance and speed for legal reasons. This isn't an old picture. My roommate just keeps old newspapers for some reason.

I had to tap the new intake with a hammer to get the reed cage to pop into the engine case. Hopefully it's more easily removable, if it ever needs to be.

Cooling shroud and transmission cover reinstalled temporarily so I can manhandle it back into the scooter's frame. Save for the intake, you can't tell I did anything to it now.

slidebite posted:

Did you notice on the box where they were made? Used to be the small ball in North America call from Europe, but I've been seeing a lot more far east stuff.
I checked and the bearings are from Bulgaria.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Moderate cleaning. Chain lube.

Figured out why it didn't shift: the bearing at the foot shifter where it pivots around the peg was siezed. I got a new Cycle Pirates hinged shifter and the factory grease is apparently blue loctite. A very VERY thorough cleaning and some white lithium grease later, and everything works great.

Next weekend is brake and clutch fluid replacement; It's been raining all weekend and I don't like doing brake work when the humidity is above 20%. The forecast for next weekend shows a high pressure area moving in, so single-digit humidity with temps in the 70s seems reasonable. Probably also going to do oil and filter, check the plugs, and take the winter shims out of the carbs to get back to summer tune.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

titanium posted:

TW200

Until now, I didn't know I needed one of these.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Parked it in a sweetass shed the landlords built for us after somebody tried to steal them. For free! :swoon:

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Got the wheels back on the TL1000S. I got to see a No-Mar tire machine in action at the 76 station that changes tires as a side business. $20 for the set, how can you go wrong? It's at 590 Saratoga in San Jose for all the south bay CA goons.

All went smoothly with the install, although I had to stack a 50lb weight on the pillion to allow the bottle jack under the oil pan to balance. The bearing seals were dirty but intact. The effects of parking the bike outside, even under cover, are getting pretty obvious.

Of course no project is complete without discovering some PO fuckery. This time it was a missing shim plate that screws on the inside face of the swingarm. So I've been missing .075" of shim all these years, and the axle has been pressing into the aluminum of the swingarm instead of the steel plate. Doesn't seem like any damage was done, which is nice. I was able to temporarily substitute some electrical conduit washers from the hardware store while the correct part is on order.

Then I got sick as gently caress and it was all I could do to roll the bike under cover, push the tools into the garage and lock up so I could crawl in bed. So much for the test ride.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bucephalus posted:

Until now, I didn't know I needed one of these.

That's what I rode at my MSF and I found it to be a bunch of fun. Pulls pretty nicely for a 200. The stock balloon tire on the back is a little weird but you could get rid of it.

Try to find one in this pattern for maximum bitchin' radical tubularity:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

That's what I rode at my MSF and I found it to be a bunch of fun. Pulls pretty nicely for a 200. The stock balloon tire on the back is a little weird but you could get rid of it.

Try to find one in this pattern for maximum bitchin' radical tubularity:

If a TW200 owner were to "get rid of" the ballon tire, then they need to get rid of their TW200.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

I'm pretty sure that I have the same tank.
It's awesomeness.
It says it's a 4 gallon tank, but after running on reserve to almost bone dry, and it actually took 4.8 to fill to the cap.
Infrequent fuel stops make me happy.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Jabs posted:

I'm pretty sure that I have the same tank.
It's awesomeness.
It says it's a 4 gallon tank, but after running on reserve to almost bone dry, and it actually took 4.8 to fill to the cap.
Infrequent fuel stops make me happy.

The extra fuel weight from a full tank actually puts me in race sage and I noticed a happy little increase in how responsive the bike is in corners. This was high on my want list and I'm happy to get it out the way early on.

Yay tank buddies!:hfive:

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

The extra fuel weight from a full tank actually puts me in race sage and I noticed a happy little increase in how responsive the bike is in corners. This was high on my want list and I'm happy to get it out the way early on.

Yay tank buddies!:hfive:

What happens if you crash? Is it tucked out of the way or will it slide along the ground and abrade/catch on fire ala R6?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

GanjamonII posted:

What happens if you crash? Is it tucked out of the way or will it slide along the ground and abrade/catch on fire ala R6?

Looks like it replaces the cosmetic wings bolted to the standard tank with ones that are part of the tank and thus full of petrol, so i guess it depends on how far you slide really.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

echomadman posted:

Looks like it replaces the cosmetic wings bolted to the standard tank with ones that are part of the tank and thus full of petrol, so i guess it depends on how far you slide really.
This.

It's drat thick, so you'd have to slide pretty drat far with a TON of the weight of the bike directly on one concentrated spot on the tank. IMHO it passes the "would you take an angle grinder to it for 5 seconds?" confidence test pretty easily.

Also, it protects the radiator a hell of a lot better than that flimsy plastic wing ever would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

slidebite posted:

That's kind of interesting.

I agree, if the manual calls for 87 I'd fill it with 87. Higher "just to be sure" is lost on me.

I ran on high octane for a while on my vstar with that attitude. Then, in a jam I put some 87 in (like the manual recommends). It ran better and got like 20 more miles before reserve. That answered it for me, stick with 87.