Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
All this happened yesterday, but I got my new (used) seat from Mr. FedEx. Some guy on the SOHC4 forums sold me a double-bucket touring seat for $50. It's in really good shape. After the seat that's currenty on my bike, it looks like gold. And I rode my motorcycle in a piss-down rainstorm, which would actually have been fun if it were warmer.

No more sitting on bare foam with chunks missing out of it :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Nothing in reality, but I took it for a ride in a dream I had. I was doing wheelies real good and ended up at a church I think, where some guy came up to my parked bike and was saying how cool this and that thing looked. He started fiddling with it and before I knew it he took the whole bike apart down to the frame right in the parking lot, leaving parts and bolts scattered in the grass. I was pretty pissed and woke up sweating.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Stripped apart the entire clutch from head to toe, drained the oil, pulled the plates, reset the adjuster at the top and the bottom and put it all back together.

Clutch is now officially loving working as it should. Why the hell he couldn't have checked it properly I'll never know.

Actually managed to get a decent ride out to Hartside/Alston. Best ride I've had in aaaaaaaaages.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
I finally got new tires put on the SV this weekend. Got some Dunlop Roadsmarts to replace the six year old tires that were on there when I bought the bike. The difference in grip is incredible between the two sets.

Gnaghi posted:

dreams

Speaking of dreams, I had a dream about this the other night.

Z3n posted:

I think I pretty much slid at about 80mph on the top of my helmet for a second or 2.

The best part about dreams is having instant replay, so I watched this over and over. I think I need to stop reading CA.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Remembered that the engine will start better when the gas is switched on. :doh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

kcer posted:

Stripped apart the entire clutch from head to toe, drained the oil, pulled the plates, reset the adjuster at the top and the bottom and put it all back together.

Clutch is now officially loving working as it should. Why the hell he couldn't have checked it properly I'll never know.

Actually managed to get a decent ride out to Hartside/Alston. Best ride I've had in aaaaaaaaages.

Glad you got it sorted.

I rode my friend's SV that I just finished putting dirtbike bars on from san diego to santa barbara. It was decent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got some kneepads, and I bought one of those foam pad things that goes on handlebar for my XR200

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Rode it 480 miles. I took the long way home, and it was glorious.

No honest man needs more than a Ninja 250 (and some spare oil) to tour.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sklnd posted:

Rode it 480 miles. I took the long way home, and it was glorious.

No honest man needs more than a Ninja 250 (and some spare oil) to tour.

hahaahahahahahahahah

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok, it's time to start recording what the heck I'm doing to this bike.

This weekend: remounted the swingarm, front and rear wheels. Noticed the new rear tire would rub on the muffler if anyone rode it. Also noted a couple of polished spots on the muffler where the previous tire must have rubbed. Suspect it happened during one of the drops. Finally started it after 6 months without running it.

Last night: back up on the lift, hauled off the rear tire to check if it'd been put together right. It has been. Took off the gas tank and changed the sparkplug. Plug looks about right for a lean-running engine that isn't burning oil yet.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

I stared at it and got back to work :(

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Changed the oil and filter, adjusted the chain and washed the millions of bugs off from the 972 mile road trip I took it on this weekend.
Then on the way home I got rained on AGAIN. For fucks sake this is California, why do I end up wet so much? Oh well, at least it wasn't hail again. At 75mph that hurts the fingers.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I ran the first set of jets from the Goldwing through an ultrasonic cleaner. Then, while blowing compressed air through the float valve, the tiny filter on the end of it blew off. I haven't found it yet; this is not a good start :(

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Today I went in and ordered new tyres and chain and sprockets for my CB400. All are dangerously worn, but have been beneath other things on the list because they actually worked, albeit not entirely safely. Maybe the MOT needing to be renewed changed things a little, I also booked that.

Seems the bloke suggested replacing my tyres with new ones of what I've already got, which are Battleax BT45s (I think).

Now to clean the bike thoroughly and fix the sticky rear brake lever, or that will fail the MOT for me. At least I've got all the bulbs working.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Today I installed an r6 throttle tube on my naked sv650, and its pretty much the best 8 dollars I've ever spent. The throttle pull was shortened a fair amount, but it's still completely practical for every day use.

Also, working in a college parking lot sucks.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Discovered the range is approximately 200m with the fuel tap turned to off :doh:

Realised that sea fog leaves a nice coating of salt particles on the bike. drat working right next to the North Sea. Polish is coming out tomorrow!

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
Did quite a bit to my '83 Suzuki this week. The warm, ride-friendly weather pushed me to take care of some issues and continue some cosmetic work.

• Installed a banjo bolt switch for my front brake. The old "switch" was unreliable.
  • Bled both brake systems
  • Replaced the suddenly dead turn signal flasher with an electronic one.
  • Replaced the clutch cable which had begun to fray.
  • Decided to remove the Suzuki badges from the tank. Filled in the notches behind them for a smooth look. Will paint it tomorrow.
  • This weekend I'll finally re-cover the worn out seat.

Tachonium fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 18, 2009

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

AnnoyBot posted:

I ran the first set of jets from the Goldwing through an ultrasonic cleaner. Then, while blowing compressed air through the float valve, the tiny filter on the end of it blew off. I haven't found it yet; this is not a good start :(

Today I found the filter; it's the size of a large grain of rice. Hooray!

And I took pictures and video of the ridiculous linkage so I don't have to kill myself when I get stumped during reassembly. Coming up this afternoon: disassembly.

[edit] Jesus christ, the lock washers on the plenum were designed my God himself. After stripping two of the the #3 philips head screws holding the carbs to the plenum body halves, I had to drill the fuckers out and use an extractor. The threads were pristine with no corrosion anywhere, it was all necessitated by the lock washers.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 19, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Today I finally put my new bars on since I bent the original ones when I put it down. Took about an hour start to finish.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
New rear tire (Michelin Pilot Power)
Adjusted the timing belts

Next week. New left switches (two of the buttons are smashed/unusable) and a 15t front sprocket, the 14t was nice, but I'd appreciate a more relaxed engine at interstate speeds.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gently caress

Today I rode about 100 miles, then left my house on the Sportster and the vac line came off the petcock. So I had to push the bike a long rear end way home. Finally figured it out after about an hour. DAMMIT

Also, I need a new brake adjusting screw thing that goes in the lever on my XR200. Can I buy that seperate or do I need a whole new brake lever? Probably why my front brakes so bad.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Check the second discussion thread for pics. I removed/drained the tank, found a treasure trove of silt and rust particles, and I'll be cleaning the carbs today/tomorrow as well. Hopefully I can get it to a rideable condition before next week. I also recharged the battery after draining it trying to start the bike for two days.

I've only owned it for about two weeks, rode it for one. :(

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Cut down the snorkel on my SV, and fashioned a plate to block the gap between the frame and airbox to stop it sucking hot air. Tank risers to come next week. Love that induction noise!

Also bought a timing retard eliminator of eBay which should arrive in 2 weeks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tentacle Party posted:

Cut down the snorkel on my SV, and fashioned a plate to block the gap between the frame and airbox to stop it sucking hot air. Tank risers to come next week. Love that induction noise!

Also bought a timing retard eliminator of eBay which should arrive in 2 weeks.

Did you shim the carbs as well? I had poo poo luck with the bike running well with stock carbs and an aftermarket exhaust when I swapped to a less restrictive airbox.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Z3n posted:

Did you shim the carbs as well? I had poo poo luck with the bike running well with stock carbs and an aftermarket exhaust when I swapped to a less restrictive airbox.

As far as i can tell its not running lean at all, no backfire or popping under engine braking. Also i have an EFI model so im not familiar with this industrial age technology you speak of.

It wont be long until the next service so i will get it tuned pretty soon. Ahh i cant wait, i hate these stock tyres and want some Road 2s so bad. I will probably change the front to a 70 profile and drop the forks 5mm through the triple clamps, hopefully that will help it fall in until i can afford/source a GSXR 750 front end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

As far as i can tell its not running lean at all, no backfire or popping under engine braking. Also i have an EFI model so im not familiar with this industrial age technology you speak of.

It wont be long until the next service so i will get it tuned pretty soon. Ahh i cant wait, i hate these stock tyres and want some Road 2s so bad. I will probably change the front to a 70 profile and drop the forks 5mm through the triple clamps, hopefully that will help it fall in until i can afford/source a GSXR 750 front end.

Gen 2...:argh:

Are you still running the stock exhaust? Most SVs get set up pretty rich from the factory through the midrange, so rejetting/a PC isn't always required. 70 profile on the front is highly recommended, and it's worth noting that when you swap to a GSX-R front end you can lose upwards of 2 inches off the front end. So if you feel like 5mm isnt enough, you can drop them more without too much threat of instability. The bike is set up extremely stable stock, so don't hesitate to drop the forks a bit more to get the feel you're looking for. A trackbike will also have the back end jacked up another inch or so to get the weight on it's nose and get it turning. I think that may be a little too slap happy for street riding, though. Also beware of lost cornering clearence if you're the sort to grind pegs when you start dropping the forks in the triples.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Successfully fitted a pair of Avon Roadriders today, that was excellent. Difficult for sure, but for every difficult bit the glorious internet had taught me what to expect and what to do. Replaced the rear sprocket, got a new chain waiting and replced the pads as well. Noticed I'm in for three caliper rebuilds. :(

High tech bead breaker.

Higher tech homemade balance rig, for a 1/4 of the price of a regular static balance kit I UTTERLY FAILED at making my own. :v: The axle rests against the wood and won't spin on the bearings. $30 of bearings sitting there doing jack poo poo. But my wheel bearings were good enough for smooth turning so I got good results In fact great. Front wheel had no heavy spots, rear wheel had a heavy spot right at the old weights...ripped them off - much better! :D If I get vibes on the road I'll cave and get Dynabeads. Should be an excellent test condition if I do have vibes...I'll get to try with and without and not changing anything else.

But this motherfucker cut my series of victories short. Also YUCK. Didn't have a big enough socket. Tried monkey wrenching it but just spun the engine. Ah. So that's why you loosen it before removing the chain. Lesson learned. Hopefully I'll get it finished and I can start wearing these time consuming consumables tomorrow. Any shaft driven posters may now proceed with a maximum of two (2) sentences of gloating.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Put a new rear tire on and tubes in both wheels. Discovered that I managed to puncture the rear tire's tube, so removed it, patched it, and put it back in. Finished the wiring at the headlight case, attaching the high beam indicator, tachometer light, and neutral light. Discovered that someone managed to rip off the speedo light, so I'll have to get a new outlet for it and connect it.

I also managed to foul out the right spark plug while tuning my carburetor, so I'll have to grab a few tomorrow and finishing tuning it.

All of this on a 1970 Honda CL350. Parts are near impossible to find, if anyone has a good source for vintage Honda parts let me know.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 20, 2009

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Z3n posted:

Gen 2...:argh:

Yep, i have the obligatory Yoshimura TRS slip on. Hopefully a 70 profile and dropping the forms, maybe 10mm after reading up on peoples comments, will make some difference. I actually think the suspension on my old VTR250 was better for cornering, but i think it was more the weight of the thing that made it so flickable. I love my SV, but sometimes... stock suspension:argh:

Also, to stay on topic, i sanded, primed and spray painted my helmet today. A faux chrome helmet was a bit to much, so now its matte black! Pics tongiht!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Today I completed setup on the racebike, it's ready to go for AFM race 2 next weekend (will post a thread in a bit) and started rebuilding the streetbike. Realized I misplaced the small piece of exhaust that goes from the rear cylinder to the main part of the pipe...:argh:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I painstakingly cleaned every spoke on my DRZ wheels and tried to reach every bit of grime I could on the engine and hard to reach bits. I don't know why. I'm just going to plow through the next big puddle or dirt field I find anyway.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
I finished doing my first valve adjustment on the ninjette today, and it went about as well as I'd hoped. I managed to avoid draining the coolant and removing the radiator by following the advice on ninja250.org about fiddling with the radiator and ignition coil mounts. I set all the valves to the loose end of the range. The bike seems to idle quite a bit happier now, and I can take the choke off within about 30 seconds of starting it.

I also took the opportunity to change the spark plugs, which was pretty painless with the bike's spark-plug tool. I haven't gotten around to synchronizing the carburetors yet, but I plan on doing it as soon as I've warmed the bike up (which I will now proceed to do by taking it out for a spin on this beautiful spring day).

I also picked up my first torque wrench, a $20 3/8-inch-drive beam deflection model, which I used to tighten the tappet locknuts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yesterday I put the cover on my bike in anticipation of my week long trip to Miami. This morning I woke up to pouring rain and felt good about the cover.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

(not my photo)

Put a cheapo off brand Throttle Rocker on the Ninja, as after my long trip my throttle hand had some numbness issues. After running around town for a bit, I'm not convinced this is going to help any though. We'll see on the next 4-500 mile day.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Over the past three days, I've been tearing into that 08 KLR that tried killing me last year and pulling off broken bits.
So far the upper, and both side cowlings, both engine covers, handlebars, front turn signals, left peg and bracket and the ones that made me gasp, a new fan($280) & radiator($585). I'm pretty sure I can salvage the gas tank by bending the plastics attachment points and doing some sanding and painting since it's going to be covered there.

Saturday I took a torch to the shifter lever and bent it back from it's post wreck V shape, put it back on and rode it around the block a few times without the plastics, headlight and left peg.
Also, drilled out the plug and adjusted the pilot screw, drilled out the hole in the slide to 7/64 and shimmed the needle in the carb.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You should be able to find some used replacement parts for a fair bit cheaper than 600$ for the radiator and 300$ for the fan. Hell, I've got a few fans floating around if you feel like doing a little wiring.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Took 'er in to swap out the tires, so hopefully those woes will be over. Forgot to ask for an ETA like a dumbass.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Today I siphoned the av gas out of the Husky and replaced with 93 cause I wasn't sure about mixing the two. AV gas has an after-taste that lingers a bit longer than regular. Then I took it for a short ride and ended up pulling a wheelie from a dead stop right on my own street. Also made an appointment to have it looked over at a dealer in a week.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Gnaghi posted:

Today I siphoned the av gas out of the Husky and replaced with 93 cause I wasn't sure about mixing the two. AV gas has an after-taste that lingers a bit longer than regular. Then I took it for a short ride and ended up pulling a wheelie from a dead stop right on my own street. Also made an appointment to have it looked over at a dealer in a week.

Mustard. Kills the gas taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Calculated how much money I have to spend on race gas so I can have just enough to make it for my first ama trials event of the season, and still make the first vermont trials event of the season. Ugh.