Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

Can you explain what this means? I can't picture it

It's been answered, but...

You know how there's pads and a disc in there normally? Stick something in that space that is slightly thinner, then squeeze the lever until the pistons both extend. Then reduce the thickness and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

This is how I always do it :shrug:
Me too, works fine as long as you wrap the whole thing in a beefy rag so no one loses an eye and also no one inhales a huge cloud of aerosolized antique brake fluid

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s fine if you’re ready for it but, you have to be ready for the violence. I sure as hell wasn’t the first time I did it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s fine if you’re ready for it but, you have to be ready for the violence. I sure as hell wasn’t the first time I did it

The best way is to combine air with the blocking technique so they all push out rather rapidly but with no chance of shotgunning you.

The last-word method? Grease gun in the bleed screw, nothing's resisting that but it makes clean up a chore.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I almost went with the grease gun per CA's recommendation, but I ended up using these pliers and amazingly enough they got all 12 pistons out. They're pricey, but a lot of the cheaper ones had bad reviews at the time.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fluid replacement/bleed done, I think? Bubbles stopped coming out of the bleed nipple so that means it's done right? It didn't use nearly as much fluid as I was expecting but if the line's still full of air I guess I'll find out when I try to brake.

No idea how I'd have managed without a one way valve on the drain hose, I had to really go hard and fast on the lever to get all the bubbles out and every time I let off the ejected fluid wanted to go back into the caliper.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fluid replacement/bleed done, I think? Bubbles stopped coming out of the bleed nipple so that means it's done right? It didn't use nearly as much fluid as I was expecting but if the line's still full of air I guess I'll find out when I try to brake.

No idea how I'd have managed without a one way valve on the drain hose, I had to really go hard and fast on the lever to get all the bubbles out and every time I let off the ejected fluid wanted to go back into the caliper.

You should be able to tell at least a little by just braking while the bike is sitting and feeling whether it feels normal or not.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just been out and it stops quick enough, so I'm happy with that.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I never trust the pump and dump method

Better to get lil' succc

Or his pneumatic brother if you have a compressor

Then there's also the lazy version where you flush with pressurized brake fluid

And the super lazy electric do all

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

Then there's also the lazy version where you flush with pressurized brake fluid

I have the Motive version of this for cars and it worked well back when I wasn't too lazy to do it myself

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm just gonna buy a bag of speed bleeders for next time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All of those are useful widgets but they only 100% reliable method is doing it manually by locking/unlocking the bleed screw.

It really is a super simple thing to do, all you need is a bit of hose, yet it seems to be one of those things that's immensely challenging to laymen; I've seen people happy to do their own valve check wilt at the prospect of replacing a master cylinder. Is it that all the instructions out there are really bad? Or are the principles super confusing or something? All you guys post as if it's terrifying and you have to gird your loins with enchanted workshop totems.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Agreed. I’ve got a vacuum pump but I only use it when I’m doing new lines or dealing with a lot of air. Even a flush is less work with just a little bit of hose, catch can, and wrench.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The vacuum ones always suck a ton of air between the caliper and bleed nipple at the threads in my experience.

I am firmly in the manual bleed camp. Crack the bleeder, pull the lever, close the bleeder, pump the lever, repeat.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The pressurized pumps are nice for cars though, as I was able to bleed the brakes on my car without having someone else pump the pedal.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Reverse bleeding from the caliper with 100cc syringe full of clean brake fluid works pretty well for new lines/MCs/etc., but it's not holy-poo poo levels of mindblowing or anything. Just saves you a little bit of messing with the bleed screw, since air wants to travel up, and it''s really only any good for single calipers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I'm replacing something I go vacuum bleeder for convenience followed by hand bleeding for the last little bit.

If I'm just changing brake fluid I vacuum out the reservoir, refill with fresh, then just vacuum at the calipers till fresh stuff comes through, then one hand pump just to make sure no air slipped past the bleeders.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I replaced my tires last weekend. It's pathetic how sore I was the next day. I haven't had any proper exercise since the gyms closed. Apparently walking your dog and riding a bicycle isn't much exercise afterall.

I was a little nervous because I don't have high confidence in my mechanical ability, and I have read new tires are slippery to boot. I rode around 200mi the day after, and no drama.

Here I took this pic.

I also learned my rear caliper is not actually bolted to anything but instead is pinched between the swing arm and wheel collar, and is prevented from spinning by a groove it slots into. I guess that actually makes sense so the caliper slides with the wheel/axle as you adjust the chain and now I'm not sure any rear calipers are bolted like I assumed they were!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice work.

All of them are like that, some of them are just bolted to the sliding part while others use it as an integrated pad carrier. Except for shafties which are bolted on cause they don't need to account for adjustment. The more you know.

I hope you used lots of bearing grease, no copper grease, and protip while we're here: get a file and chamfer your lower pad edges, it'll make taking the wheel/brakes on and off a million times easier!

Oh and while we're here level 2, the sliding pin is a compromise/simplification feature, the 'ideal' design is either fully floating with a torque rod joining it to the front of the swingarm or frame or something, or positioned on the swingarm so as to have a similar effect as the above. The tide of the rear caliper's fortunes ebb and flow with riding and tyre development; some eras nobody gives a gently caress, other times we get rose jointed adjustable torque linkages on a two piston brembo.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 18, 2021

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I hope you used lots of bearing grease, no copper grease, and protip while we're here: get a file and chamfer your lower pad edges, it'll make taking the wheel/brakes on and off a million times easier!
Whats the bearing grease for? The backs of the pads? Mine were slathered in copper grease by the PO and I'm pretty sure it contaminated the pads leading to my crappy braking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Grease is for the axle and wheel spacers, and caliper pins if it's done a bit of mileage. Copper grease is for copper bottomed fully rigged ocean-going transcontinental lunatics, I can't think of anything you'd want to put it on besides exhaust studs but despite that people keep putting it everywhere thinking they're helping me. Brake pads shouldn't have any kind of goo anywhere near them, anything like that is a bright red moron marker.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Copper grease on the backs of brake pads is an old wife's remedy for brake squeal/rattling. It doesn't do poo poo though, either your calipers have good retaining springs or they don't.

I do like greasing up the threads of any bolts that need to come out with any kind of frequency though, as it seems to stop them from seizing/corroding.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I didn't :ohdear: I followed the directions in my service manual, which didn't state to grease anything, which I was surprised by. Or is it one of those "duh dude" things because it's metal-on-metal? Honda seems pretty specific on what to grease with what from what I've seen in here so far, but obviously I know nothing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It isn't in the manual, but you grease the axles so they don't rust/catch in the bearings. Makes taking wheels off way easier.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Copper grease on the backs of brake pads is an old wife's remedy for brake squeal/rattling. It doesn't do poo poo though, either your calipers have good retaining springs or they don't.

I do like greasing up the threads of any bolts that need to come out with any kind of frequency though, as it seems to stop them from seizing/corroding.

I anti seize everything that remotely looks like stainless since I managed to gall the threads on the O2 sensor port in my new exhaust by having the audacity to screw in the plug bolt without anti seize by hand.

Also copper greasing brake pad backs is a thing for cars and harley davidsons and not something that was engineered in the last half century.

Ceramic based compounds are also vastly preferable to copper grease and the only option allowed when it comes to ABS or traction control equipped brakes.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Everything is copper greased on my bike by the PO so every time I remove a screw it is a case of working out if it should be there or not. Engine mount bolts brake caliper bolts, the screws holding the switch gear to the handle bars, side stand bolts. If PO took it off it got greased :(. I think I've removed most of the stuff they fitted so hopefully I've cleaned most of it off.

A friend had recommended not greasing the axle to stop crap getting stuck to it, but so far I've just put it on clean rags if I remove it. It was a battle to get out even greasy, so that's not getting cleaned off.

Thanks!

In terms of stuff I did to my bike, I replaced the handlebars with ones which didn't stop with 1cm of the grips flapping in the breeze and fitted some bar end weights.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Today I changed the oil, plug, and air filter on the postie bike, then pulled the switch blocks apart and cleaned them properly, cleaned the throttle tube and adjusted the throttle, lubed the cables, replaced the torn grips, replaced the poo poo short-stemmed chrome mirrors with ones that I can use to see past my elbows, cleaned lubed and adjusted the chain, checked the brakes were within tolerance, put a new rear reflector on it, and booked it in for inspection. Then I realised that my rear/brake light bulb, hasn't arrived yet and called the guy back and cancelled. At least he laughed about it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Found this in a box of old Vespa parts at the shop. Seems to be something missing. All of the remaining components of this bearing looked dirty but in perfect condition though, no gouges or cracks or anything. :iiam:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Found this in a box of old Vespa parts at the shop. Seems to be something missing. All of the remaining components of this bearing looked dirty but in perfect condition though, no gouges or cracks or anything. :iiam:

It has a single-sided front end, obviously it needs a single-sided wheel bearing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's from the superleggera edition

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That weighs 50% of what the Japanese manufacturers claim!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Has any manufacturer tried to make extra light wheel bearings with far too few balls and new cages to space them out evenly? In theory you could get away with as few as three.

It sounds like too stupid an idea for even the Austrians to try, but you never know...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sagebrush posted:

Has any manufacturer tried to make extra light wheel bearings with far too few balls and new cages to space them out evenly? In theory you could get away with as few as three.

It sounds like too stupid an idea for even the Austrians to try, but you never know...

What would be the point except maybe cost?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reduced unsprung weight, increased weight weenie e-peen

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Nah instead aftermarket manufacturers can sell you ceramic wheel bearings worth $$$$ that have reduced rolling resistance you can totally feel!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I'm certain I remember something about an F1 team (surely Lotus) trying something like that? Quick google isn't finding anything though.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Txluml6Wzo

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Copper grease? Pshaw. Come by SJ and I'll give you some nickel grease to ruin your brakes with. I have a ton; I got it for my airhead BMW exhaust nut. Serious offer- meet at the Bird ave Safeway if you're interested. I don't have PM, but I watch this thread, obvs.

I just finished pulling the carb slides from the oldwing. They have a few spots on the vacuum surface, and some scuffing on the slider. I have no idea if they're bad enough to cause the WOT bogging issue, but I'm going to polish them with Blue Magic, do some light deburring and see how it goes.

[edit] Post-polish, all 4 seem to move more freely. Only one of them moved without any sticking at all before polishing. #4 has the most scuffing, but I don't feel a burr on the carb body; I wonder if it was just from sitting for a long time.

I buffed the scuffed part of the sliders with a dremel and rouge. It's smoother but marks are still visible; not sure if I can get it much better without really removing some material, which I don't want to do.

[after action report] It didn't make much if any difference. I've now replaced the air filter, which was filthy, and am getting a new fuel filter today. I confirmed that the vacuum advance seemed to be working also. New plugs, caps and wires are also on the list.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 23, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I'll meet you at that Safeway but only if we go up and over Mount Hamilton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The vacuum ones always suck a ton of air between the caliper and bleed nipple at the threads in my experience.

:doh:

I tried putting tape on the nipple, I tried with all the different adapters that came with the bleeder, I tried a little suction, I tried a lot of suction.

Now, six months later, the answer.