Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have swapped those phantoms out for angels on a couple of sport classics and yeah it's definitely the construction making the difference there I'd say. Just a rubbish tyre made for looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I've never understood the tread pattern on those Pirellis. They seem like they'd just be terrible in the wet? It's my understanding tread pattern is primarily for water evacuation and then carcass flex.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I've never understood the tread pattern on those Pirellis. They seem like they'd just be terrible in the wet? It's my understanding tread pattern is primarily for water evacuation and then carcass flex.

They've got big channels to pump water out from under the tire though? What's weird about them?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

The purpose of that tread pattern is to look super cool to old men and hipsters

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The purpose of that tread pattern is to look super cool to old men and hipsters

On the Angel GT? I'm so confused.

E- I figured it out. When toe rag said "those Pirellis" I didnt realize he was referring to the phantoms, which I didn't know were Pirellis, because I can't read. Carry on.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 30, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
They made kind of a big deal at the dealership that Triumph quietly threw different tires on this year’s bikes. Nobody seems to like the old stock Pirelli’s.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

um Triumphs are supposed to have Avons????

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

every bike is supposed to have tires that come from its country

british bikes get avons or dunlops

japanese bikes get bridgestones

italian bikes get pirellis

german bikes get continentals

american bikes get goodyears (i.e. dunlop)

nobody gets michelins because france doesn't make motorcycles

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

every bike is supposed to have tires that come from its country

british bikes get avons or dunlops

japanese bikes get bridgestones

italian bikes get pirellis

german bikes get continentals

american bikes get goodyears (i.e. dunlop)

nobody gets michelins because france doesn't make motorcycles

I support this policy, especially the last part

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KTM can have Michelins. Something needs to last more than a few thousand miles on them. Also there was that one Austrian chap that seemed quite keen on having a bit of France.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
We should've done Operation Paperclip, but for motorcycle engineers.

The Germans to the UK, the Japanese to the US, and the Italians to Russia.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

KTM can have Michelins. Something needs to last more than a few thousand miles on them. Also there was that one Austrian chap that seemed quite keen on having a bit of France.

Vichy rubber :hmmyes:

T Zero posted:

We should've done Operation Paperclip, but for motorcycle engineers.

The Germans to the UK, the Japanese to the US, and the Italians to Russia.

I like this idea. British bikes that don't leak but also look like poo poo, American bikes that aren't insanely heavy but also boring, Russian bikes that exist as a quantum waveform of potential that immediately implodes when you try to make one

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'd say our bikes probably can just use Continentals, wasn't that long ago Austria was part of Germany.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This afternoon I installed the rear rack and 50L OEM top case that arrived a couple weeks ago. It took a while but the rack install went pretty well, I didn't bugger up the fairings too bad with my dremel or gently caress up any of the fairing fasteners I had to remove. :toot:

Then I opened the lid and the little plastic tab that the lid reel attaches to broke off. :smith:

It looks like it was already cracked, probably from the bolt getting overtorqued at the factory. You can see a hairline crack at about 11 o'clock:

The top case has a one-year warranty so I'm probably not completely screwed, but I'm not looking forward to getting this sorted out and waiting another ??? months for a replacement.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just ordered a set of Angel GTs for the SV. I just came home from a long road trip on the stock tires and I have decided I really don't like them at all, also the rear is a bit squared off at this point. Hopefully the moto tire mounting place isn't super busy by the time I can get wheels and new tires to them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm a dolt and need a new exhaust hanger/strap.

Unfortunately this is not the land of Very Easily Obtained Exhaust Components. Webike may still sell the original one from Over Racing, but they're incommunicado for Golden Week (as are Over, probably) so I guess until then I'm gonna see what I can put together from aluminum strip and a silicone rubber sheet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I made my exhaust hangers out of 3mm aluminum plate and they work great.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bodged something together last night with 1/16" aluminum flatbar and some self-fusing silicone tape. It's ugly but it's working. And if it cracks I can always make another.

Note to self, get a step drill.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That subframe member is legit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's a whole lotta tyre

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I put new brake pads on the goldwing. The PO gave them to me, saying “I meant to change them and never got around to it”. I rode for nearly a year on the old pads, so I figured it was time.

First off, the goldwing is maybe the easiest bike to change pads on of any bike I’ve ever owned. You just unthread a pin at the bottom of the caliper and the pads just drop out. No wheel removal required. Mine literally fell on the floor

Is that commonplace and I’ve just always had bikes that didn’t work that way?

Secondly, the new pads were so thick that I had to peel one of the anti-squeal backing plates off one of the rear pads to get it installed. I pressed the pistons all the way back, but it still wasn’t enough.

Outside of the one rear pad refusing to go in, it couldn’t have been easier. Thank you soichiro honda

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. It's not that common but it's a sliding caliper thing

2. They were too thick because they come in different thicknesses to account for different disc and caliper dimensions, some brands just make one size fits all

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well they were nissin pads going in nissin calipers so I figured they’d be perfect but :iiam:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Well they were nissin pads going in nissin calipers so I figured they’d be perfect but :iiam:

In all likelihood it is an off the shelf caliper with an extra thick disc because it's an extra thick bike and Honda are annoying like that, there will almost certainly be a nissin part number with a suffix that designates a slightly thinner pad specifically for the oldwing and whatever else uses that setup. There is no guarantee the Honda dealer knows about this though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
(one of them) got it running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri6ORvBdppo

Just needed a new battery, second crank. Took er around the block after 9 months off a bike, ran great, couple little kids in their yard hooted and cheered

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

(one of them) got it running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri6ORvBdppo

Just needed a new battery, second crank. Took er around the block after 9 months off a bike, ran great, couple little kids in their yard hooted and cheered

i think you are mistaken, from the sound you have actually started up a helicopter, not a motorcycle

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*90’s Nissan Frontier ad voice* Kids love……DRZ’s

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I filled up the VStrom and the Monkey on the same day.
45 mpg vs 99 mpg

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Washed, waxed, and did my first round of what will be semi-regular weather-proofing on the Bonneville so that the wet environs here don’t hasten any rust that will eventually happen.

Washed and waxed the Roadster I’m trying to sell. Might detail it a little more later.

Washed my scooter.

Helped wash and then waxed our partner’s Street Glide.

Put the Bonneville away, satisfied at a job well done and then noticed I hadn’t so much as rinsed the rims or spokes off.

gently caress it. Next time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I did similar. Washed the VStrom and Monkey, cleaned, adjusted, and oiled their chains.
Oiled up the filters for the KLX300 and the new KX250 and installed those back in.

Cut a poo poo load of firewood the rest of the weekend

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Changed the front tyre on my MTS today. I've only done a couple of tyre changes before and I was dreading doing the front because it was such an ordeal the last time. Incoherent swearing, tears of rage, etc etc.

Maybe because each time I've done a front it's been in the dead of winter and the new tyres have been cold af?

This time I left the new rubber next to my column heater for a couple of hours beforehand and the whole fitting process took maybe five minutes.

Just goes to show, the more you know, the more you know what an idiot you've been.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Got around to start my tenere after the winter, gravel season approaches as the winter is finally nearing an end in the moutains.
It fired right up and I tackled the charging issue now that I both got a new regulator and stator on hand. (as the error checking with multimeter last fall pointed towards the stator)
Luckily it was the regulator, up from 13.4 on high rpm to 14.0+ on all rpms, no need to mess with the stator for now.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Today I troubleshot and repaired the good battery pack for the e-bakfiets that wouldn't charge, it was a trivial fault like I hoped and not the BMS like I feared. I also ordered a better pit stand for the motorcycle. The current lovely one I have worked OK on the little honda but is disconcerting to use every single time with the heavier SV and I figure paying for a good one is probably cheaper than repairing whatever breaks on the bike after I drop it because of a lovely stand.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Invalido posted:

e-bakfiets

You're in NL?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

No. 6 posted:

You're in NL?

No, but for some reason Americans tend to call box bikes by their Dutch name. :shrug:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Queue Dutch people to call a bakfiets a box bike to sound more modern in 3...2...1...

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Swapped bikes around and actually used the tenere. 12.75 on the battery after a good 45min ride. This was with misc use of power to heated grips from near flat. I'll used it into work tomorrow to get a practical test.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

You're in NL?

Up here NL is the postal abbreviation for Newfoundland and my brain just did a money shift trying to comprehend the existence of the Netherlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What did I do to my ride? I crashed it :negative:

Full video for context, but you can skip to 3:20 for the crash. Unfortunately my GoPro was in a setting I do not particularly care for, but I didn't notice, so the video isn't super helpful in determining what went wrong (way too little context). To my recollection, I had just let off the brakes and (gently) cracked open the throttle, the front went, and that was that. Based on the video's audio, that seems to be what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2N_Dhx-1SI

Saying "cold tires" kind of feels like a cop out, but honestly I don't know else it would have been. Everything felt under control. I was not in a panic. I wasn't even going fast. This was the first lap of the second session of my first day of the year, so I was building up pace. I've never had a problem with my tires getting up to temperature in my out lap, either. IMO the other riders on my out lap were all going a little slow. I get you take it easy, but you should still be accelerating and braking hard in straight lines to help warm up the tires, and maybe that was a contributing factor. I am responsible for myself, of course, but the last two days I've been to now, I feel a lot of riders in the B group are really slow, maybe even too slow, which feels ridiculous because I am not fast, and my bike is slow as poo poo too. I had my hot pressure at 28F/26R if I recall correctly. I went out on the first session with just normal street to get them warmed up, and they were sliding a lot as expected. They heated up from 29/33 to 33/36 I believe. I'm pretty sure that's where I had them at last track day too, and it was fine? Q3+.

The bike crashed pretty well. My "unbreakable" lever broke. It's supposed to have a 3-year warranty, but I may have forgotten to "activate" it (ridiculous), so let's see if they honor it. My handlebar is bent. The frame, cases, and fork bottom look fine. The fork may have gotten slightly tweaked as the front wheel doesn't spin as freely as normal (stops like 1/4 of a turn instead of 3/5 or something). I think the exhaust took most of the beating. The pipe is slightly bent, so I guess I will keep an eye on it.

Anyway, is there a good reason to buy something like Renthal over OEM replacement bars? Is the bar bending like that a good thing (reducing the force transmitted into the rest of the bike), or just what a cheap handlebar will do? Any particular advice on installing the grips? This is the only thing I feel I may struggle with. I suppose I should use this opportunity to install a heating element for the grips as well.