Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I bought it... Well not quite. The PO will be delivering it Sat.

First thing that happens with it:
Oil change
Fairing swap back to stock
Tender love & care while I pamper it like a baby

It's a 2003 Limited edition R1.

I'll list the nifty toys that come with bike.
It is heavily upgraded:
* Akropovic Full Titanium race pipe with Carbon fiber can
* Power Commander 3 with custom map installed
* Graves Velocity stacks
* Graves Slide stops
* EBC HH race brake pads
* Gafler steel braided front and rear brake lines
* BMC race air filter
* Arata adjustable rear sets
* 520 Sproket kit with 1 down in the front and up 2 in the rear
* CRG race brake levers
* FULL SET OF SHARKSKINS RACE FAIRINGS Great for track days!
* Extra rear wheel with roters and sproket
* Ohlins Steering Stableizer A MUST HAVE!
* Frame sliders
* Gregs customs LED signals
* 2 Puig Double bubble windscreens one red one clear
* Tank Grips
* 2 sets of Dunlop tires and a pirelli diablo
* Lockhart Phillips LED License plate holder

^^^^^
Sorry was just cut and pasted from CL (I'll remove if thats not cool)

It's comming with 2 sets of wheels and 2 fairings.
The custom Plate says Team R1 which I'm kinda Meh about. Getting it for a grand total of $4800 with 17k miles on the clock.

Here is the bike in both forms.

E: content

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nice. That thing is going to hit like a monster with the slide stops and the velocity stacks, so be careful.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
isn't that your first bike? You're a braver man then I, sounds like a lot of fun. Rubber side down and all!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Nice. That thing is going to hit like a monster with the slide stops and the velocity stacks, so be careful.

Ayemen reverend I rode it just briefly at his place today. The bike was ready to put the fear of god into me and instantly command respect. It is custom tuned at the moment for racing. I am going to be saving off the tune and cutting it back a touch until I feel comfortable and ready for more power. I think I rode every bike for sale within 50 miles. All of them were powerful but not quite like this.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Success

I ended up using the clip style master link instead of making my own riveter but I am going to ride to the shop tomorrow and have them rivet the link for me. Even though the 620 Monster does not put out a lot of power, I would feel better about having the rivet link over the clip style.
content.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

antonio97b
Sep 21, 2008
I gave my tire a flat today.

Long story short: This is my only vehicle I DD to work and back. About 3 days ago I noticed a piece of steel sicking out of my tire and I couldn't pull it out with my fingers I went to the motorcycle dealership and pulled out the nail in their parking lot in case it did go through and puncture and sure enough it did. I pulled out the nail about a 1/2" before it came out. Pretty deep. Well for 75$ I'll have a new wheel put on it tomorrow (they were booked for today. >:| ).

P.S. This is my first bike/tire change. About how many miles until the tire is considered "scrubbed?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
RODE. IT. TO. WORK.

Most of the riding I do is in-city freeway commute. It's so nice to be doing what I usually do with the biek.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Got it back from the garage. Finally passed the MOT, albeit needing some work done beforehand. New rear shocks and front seals, new bars and sorted indicators and rear brake pedal. £313 this time.

The new shocks and tyres make the bike feel like a different animal. The new bars are also somewhat to blame. They're a lot wider and straighter than the old ones, which are almost impossible to find. Makes turning the bike easier, but it's still wierd. Wish I didn't have to replace them, but it turns out bent bars will fail you on the MOT.

The front seals are really annoying, the PO said they'd put it into the garage for the seals to be done just before I bought it. PO is a friend, or at least I'm a friend of the PO's girlfriend, so I don't know how much they knew, or suspected, but ARGH!

£670 leaves a nasty dent in the wallet, but I guess the tyres and sprocket and chain needed doing anyway.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I bought a monster...

I'd suggest going back to the stock gearing for a while till you're used to the bike, -1 and +2 is a very significant increase in wheelieability, and that bike isnt exactly short on power to begin with.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

slowspeedracer posted:

Success

I ended up using the clip style master link instead of making my own riveter but I am going to ride to the shop tomorrow and have them rivet the link for me. Even though the 620 Monster does not put out a lot of power, I would feel better about having the rivet link over the clip style.
content.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

People everywhere have been using clip style links without any issues. Do what you want but if you installed it correctly you will not have any troubles.

I sold one of my bikes today, my 2000 Honda VFR800FI. I'll miss the thing quite a bit. Of course I rode it before the guy came and picked it up, and I really forgot just how good that bike really is. To be honest there aren't many bikes that I haven't enjoyed riding at least on some level.

I also adjusted the shift lever on the Aprilia for the Buell footpegs that I tossed on the thing. I need to find some peg springs that fit this setup, I think I just need some Buell ones. Overall dropping the pegs just that 1" or so has really increased the comfort on the bike.

Also got the YZ250 ready to go for it's weekly ride out at THE DOONZ. Last week I decided to bump up to 40:1 with the premix and the bike seemed to be flooding at WOT, so I'm guessing at least for the weather I was running too rich at that mixture. I've tossed in another gallon at 24:1 to get my ratio in my gas can back down, and we'll see if that solves the problem. This is actually the first jetting issued I've had at all with the bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Got some brackets welded by a friend of my father's.

Originally they hold the pillion bar but it was removed to take the Givi wingrack at some point. It is either poorly mounted or the load is distributed unevenly as one of them snapped last year (it also got used as a center stand handle) and the increased load on the other caused it to snap this year... But with his excellent welding I'll take it all apart, replace bolts and hopefully it will sit straight and solid.

He has a super special edition Electra Glide with gold leaf pinstripes and more equipment than a family sedan. Poser? Hell no, he's put 13,000 miles on it since new - last April. The Sportster behind is his winter bike. Top notch guy!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Thought I'd take off my sprocket/starter cover and clean off the neutral sending switch.

Uh oh, that's no way to start things off:

Luckily, all the other bolts came off easily. I've been meaning to get my hands on a SS bolt set anyway. Let's just pull off this cover, shall we?

JESUS loving CHRIST :gonk::gonk::gonk:

This thing was much bigger than it looks here, was probably the size of a 50 cent piece when alive. :barf:

I had to loving chisel the crap out of there. There was a large pile of oily dirt underneath the bike when I got done. I also had to chisel the rust/mud/oil off the inside of the case. Luckily I had a tiny bit of Engine Brite left over from last season and hosed down the inside of the case. Much better now:

Between the spider nests and the goo, it took me a good hour to clean all the crap out and replace the cover. That poo poo was probably older than many posters here.

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
Changed the oil and filter last night. Should have been a quick 30min tops operation. Oh no! The bike gods are angry. Two of the filter cover bolts broke. So it became bolt removal and replacement time. I get everything back together, fill it up and the bike pukes out half the oil upon starting. The filter cover gasket slipped without my noticing apparently. :ughh:

Drain, re-seat gasket, refill and yay! no leaks!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Tachonium posted:

Changed the oil and filter last night. Should have been a quick 30min tops operation. Oh no! The bike gods are angry. Two of the filter cover bolts broke. So it became bolt removal and replacement time. I get everything back together, fill it up and the bike pukes out half the oil upon starting. The filter cover gasket slipped without my noticing apparently. :ughh:

Drain, re-seat gasket, refill and yay! no leaks!

Ouch! An oil change is one of the first things I have to do. I'm slightly concerned since I haven't changed a bikes oil in 5 yrs but meh. Glad you realized it slipped and belched that oil out or it could have been bad.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Emptied the old coolant, filled it with Engine Ice, Water Wetter and a little distilled water. The old coolant was blue, possibly Engine Ice as well? Just figured I ought to do it since the maintenance schedule calls for every other year and I've had the bike for a year and I don't know if/when the PO has done it.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Wheel tape!

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

I didn't get my wheels as clean as possible so hopefully the tape stays stuck to it for a while anyway.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

WD-40 will dissolve the rest of that brown poo poo away if you're so inclined.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm going to wait. The clearcoat on the aluminum has come off in spots, so I want to do a good strip/polish job. Might as well do it all at once.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Pulled the carbs back off the Nighthawk (hopefully for the last time). Reattached the carb & filter boots to the airbox with contact adhesive--poo poo's hard enough to reassemble without all the boots popping out.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 24, 2020

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got my tank bracket bolts to replace the two that were cross threaded by the previous imbecile owner, a new set of pads for the front brakes, and I picked the bike up from the dealership after 6 agonizing days of waiting for a new cam chain tensioner to come in.

Scrubbed in the new front tire a little on the way home, and got happy again. :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Turned what should have been a 20 minute ride to see my friend's band play into an over an hour ride by missing a turn and getting very, very lost. Still, it was fun. :)

I also learned that cars don't like it when you go the speed limit, even on a four lane road.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Realized that riding with my dad is an effective solution to the problem of going too fast on the highway. :v:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Dropped my Husky off at the dealer after riding it for one day. I think someone toasted my hydro clutch on a test ride, as it didn't shift at all when I got it back. The guy said a seal kit would be $30 plus a 1/2 hour of labor. If they try to charge me $$$ for a slave cylinder I'm taking it back and doing it myself when I feel like spending the money.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Bought a "new" one:

$300

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Did a 'Try the Track' with Ducati of Omaha at Mid-America motorplex. Full leathers, boots, gloves are now on the list

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Put the Garmin Navi 255 on my Kawasaki Police 1000:

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

I was not crazy about using a clip style link so i took it around the block first, checked it. Did a mile, checked it. Rode to a friends house, checked it. Did 110 miles through twisty roads in south eastern Mi, checked it and my chain is still on.

I am picking up a spare clip link to add to my under seat storage and having my rear tire replaced this week. When I get it replaced I am going to have them put the rivet link on. Even though i beat up on it pretty good over the weekend, i would rather have the piece of mind.

Next project is replace cam belts and check valve clearances probably next weekend... Then no more over priced Ducati maintenance for 6000 miles

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

VTNewb posted:

Bought a "new" one:

$300

Still going to get the v-max?

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I rode mine from college station to the dallas metroplex. Time was a factor, so it had to be 3 hours of bug filled highways. Besides, I don't know of any "good" roads along the way.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

jdonz posted:

Still going to get the v-max?

Got sold, still on the hunt.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Changed the oil, found out that I won't be able to put in the Fumoto drain valve that I bought without dropping the headers, and it may not fit even then.

Next up is wiring up the fuse block, power outlets, and seat+grip heaters, synching the throttle bodies while I have the tank raised to run wiring, and pulling the final drive to re-grease the driveshaft splines. I need a garage with electricity in it - only being able to work until sundown is bullshit.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Did a 'Try the Track' with Ducati of Omaha at Mid-America motorplex. Full leathers, boots, gloves are now on the list

I live in Omaha and am in love with Ducatis, but I've never heard of this. More info please!

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Degreased the ZX, cleaned most of the gunk off the wheels, and used a big brush of suds to clean the fairing. Even took time to wax it with an old sock :v:. Looking all clean and shiney now.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Reassembled the Nighthawk carbs with new fuel tube o-rings, bench-synched 'em, threw 'em back on...

...and they leak worse than ever. :suicide:

Time to stop being a cheap, impatient bastard and just order the correct o-rings.

Edit: Individual o-rings? Naw, gently caress that, sell me a $35 kit. Assholes.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 13, 2009

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I changed the oil, got all my paperwork signed and am going to be handling the title today. I need to order new fairings and a new headlight assembly and all should be well. I'll try and get some pics up tonight but she's in pieces!

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Got a call from my Duc riding buddy and he asked me if I moved his bike last night. In my college days, I probably would have, but not now.

As it turns out, someone tried to steal it and moved it a couple buildings down and tore out the ignition. Since he is going to the dealership, said he should pick me up a new back tire i should have taken care of last week when i did chain and sprockets.

As luck would have it, he spotted a wheel and tire combo on craigslist.

Monster Wheel w/ Pirelli Diablo tire, tire looks brand new, wheel has no nicks/scratches and the sprocket shows no wear.

$75 for the wheel and tire combo, SOLD

Picked it up last night, and will install tonight. I am leaving the ducati logo in the rim, but not sure if I am going to do the wheel tape on the front, or remove the wheel tape from the back to make them uniform.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Welp, ran out of gas on my bike today for the first time. Even switched to reserve while still moving!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Congratulations for passing the first initiation rite. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

I live in Omaha and am in love with Ducatis, but I've never heard of this. More info please!

All the info you need
http://www.ducatiomaha.com/trackdays.asp
May 23rd-24th is the Ducati-Revs event which means DEMO BIKES like the Monster, 848, 1198S, and the new 1098 Streetfighter. That day will also have a Track school which will require full gear, but the Try-the-Track just only requires over the ankle footwear + jacket + no skin showing.