Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I titled it ambiguously for those scooter folks ;)

I put on

1) Vortex keyless gas cap and base
2) Motosliders
3) New oil and oil filter!
4) Decided that I'll keep this bike till it either self destructs or I get it in perfect shape ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I finally got my spare key cut.
Bought some fuel line so I can get rid of the drat inline filter.
Bought some oil.

Laziness pending, I may install said line and/or oil.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
KDC67 did some work for me. She did 99% of the work of cleaning the carb for my 1971 CT1. She does great carb work. :-)

I pulled the carbs on the 1986 GS550ES, and determined I need to spend $20 on getting new pilot screws. I painted the wrong color side covers. They are better looking, but not sexy yet. I might sand them. I dunno, it's just going for sale soon.

I hooked the throttle up on my Peugeot 103. It's now got a 19mm carb. the thing sings a wonderful song now.

Hopefully, next week there will be a petcock for KCD67's ride.

I installed a taillight on my Fetish Cycles Penna.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I rode it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aired up the tires and rode it. Finally.

The rejet seemed to go well. Its just a little lean, which means it will probably be fine once the weather warms up.

Now I just have to get some braided lines and tires.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Clean and lube the chain, nothing spectacular.

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
Rode it. Because some of us don't put it away for the winter.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Found out that after 5 months of neglect I can balance every time, which is better than I did before with a dead engine and stopped.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Reinforced the mounting tabs for the side fairings with E6000 INDUSTRIAL ADHESIVE because I'm sick of them breaking off. Also waiting anxiously for my new radiator I need to install before move home for break.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

'78 CB400T Hawk T1

Confirmed that I was unable to start the bike previously due to empty float bowls.
Filled the gas tank past the "reserve" point. :lol:
Started it for the first time in ~5 months (fourth kick).
Confirmed that idle is still too "dynamic" for my liking.
Mentally prepared to clean the carbs at the next opportunity.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

Rode it. Because some of us don't put it away for the winter.

This and I put gas in it

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
66' YDS3

- Rode the gently caress out of it
- Washed it
- Put a new pilot jet in the right carb and finally fixed an annoying flat spot in the power band
- Rode it till I hurt
- Lubed the chain

77' KZ650

- Soldered the cracked overflow tubes in two carbs
- Cleaned the carbs and put them back on
- Stripped and painted the foot pegs
- Cleaned up some electrical connectors
- Put some acetone in the used tank I bought to clean out some dried varnish

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
'01 SV650

- Removed all fairings and tail cover assy
- ran electrical tests for like the fifth time
- Removed front brake lever
-- realized I didn't have any grease so I didn't replace it with the new one I have
- Removed gear lever assy
-- realized the hex bolt holding the footpeg on was torqued down by the hand of god himself, so it's got WD40 on it and hopefully it'll penetrate
- Removed radiator securing bolts and pulled the spark plug boot out to inspect it
- Tightened the chain

In the future:
- oil change
- new rear tire
- chain clean & lube
- replace gear lever
- replace front brake lever

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I rode it. It was very nice outside.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Hand guards and brush guards for the DERZ, cleaned my chains.

Said Hi after being gone for just over two weeks. Hoping for clear weather tomorrow.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
Today:

Tech spec tank grips (which I think are uneven after many tries, gently caress!)
Removal of break-in stickers

Tomorrow:

Two Brothers exhaust
Helibars
Pazzo shorty levers for brake and clutch
GBRacing engine covers and frame sliders

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 16, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Rode in a monsoon. Oh, and wet snow. :canada:

Tomorrow, I'll be drilling out some stripped screws on the front brake reservoir on the CB450, bleeding the brakes, and then taking it for a test spin, with the new handlebars in place. This may or may not immediately precede purchasing a new clutch cable, so that it can reach out far enough on the new bars. :3:

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
I cleaned the carb on my 1971 CT1. :) Caked on mud + >year old gasoline.. Ew.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Simkin posted:

Tomorrow, I'll be drilling out some stripped screws on the front brake reservoir on the CB450, bleeding the brakes, and then taking it for a test spin, with the new handlebars in place.

You may already know this, but someone clued me in to a great way of bleeding bike brakes the other day. Take a long clear tube and run it from the bleeder and up over the handle bars. Then just pump the hell out of the brake with the screw open until the fluid level is at the handle bars. Close the screw, drain the tube, and repeat. This works so drat well I was amazed I didn't think of it before and now I have to tell everyone.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Yesterday,
Zixxer: I put a coat of paint on the tail section, cleaned the throttle tube, and washed the bike.
Beamer: Replaced a screw that rattled out of the tail light.
Toyota: Drove it to Jack-in-the-box.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

8ender posted:

You may already know this, but someone clued me in to a great way of bleeding bike brakes the other day. Take a long clear tube and run it from the bleeder and up over the handle bars. Then just pump the hell out of the brake with the screw open until the fluid level is at the handle bars. Close the screw, drain the tube, and repeat. This works so drat well I was amazed I didn't think of it before and now I have to tell everyone.

Also prudent when bleeding brakes for the first time:

Wrap a towel around one of the fittings, and then put some pressure on the lever, and crack the banjo bolt fitting open. Some fluid will spill out, and before the lever goes to the bar, close the fitting. You just want it to the point where it doesn't hiss or spit, it should just quietly push fluid out. If you do that on all of the fittings and bleed at the master cylinder as well, usually you can get some pretty decent pressure straight off the bat. I usually find that it's fastest to just tie the lever down, leave them overnight, and then bleed them one last time in the morning.

If you want to make it go faster, you can hold the lever down, crack the bleeder, pull the lever to the bar, close the bleeder, and then let the lever go, so you're just pumping fluid through the system, rather than out of and then back into the system.

If you use this system with a vaccum bleeder, it's the easiest way to get air out of the system. Attach the bleeder, pump some vaccum into the lines, and the bleeder helps draw the air out.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

8ender posted:

You may already know this

Yep, I have a nicely used length of clear vinyl hose that fits all of the brake bleeder valves on my bikes. Still good advice, though.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

8ender posted:

:words:

How were you bleeding them before?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Last project was bleeding the brakes, which pumped out fluid that looked like urine from someone who hasnt had water in 4 months. :gonk: I also spent some time cleaning the chain.

Next up is fork seals and she will finally be done until something else breaks.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Tore arpart the headlight/fairing/gauge assembly polished up the gauges with some plastic polish, replaced a couple of burnt out bulbs, still can't get my gas light bulb to come on though so that's still in the works. Ended up gluing my headlight in place due to the plastic mounts cracking.

Getting the clutch replaced tomorrow and hopefully replacing the bushing on the top of the rear shock later this week.

I can't wait till April.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

kdc67 posted:

How were you bleeding them before?

A stupid little one man brake bleeder kit that I'd use after leaving the bleed screw open for a few hours with the brake lever tied closed. Its my first bike that is modern enough to have disc brakes and I went into it thinking I could bleed new brake lines like you would a car.

Also while we're on the topic, would using DOT5 fluid hurt anything? I just replaced all the lines and fittings so I figured it was a good opportunity to switch.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Changed the oil and rode it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

8ender posted:

A stupid little one man brake bleeder kit that I'd use after leaving the bleed screw open for a few hours with the brake lever tied closed. Its my first bike that is modern enough to have disc brakes and I went into it thinking I could bleed new brake lines like you would a car.

Also while we're on the topic, would using DOT5 fluid hurt anything? I just replaced all the lines and fittings so I figured it was a good opportunity to switch.

DOT5 is silicone and wont absorb water. This means as water gets into the system it pools against metal surfaces which can cause rust and other problems. From everything I have read on it it is not wise to use unless you flush very frequently and have lots of track use.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

8ender posted:

Just use whatever is recommended. There's no gain to switching brake fluids for normal riding, and you can damage seals and internals by swapping fluids to something that it wasn't designed for.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 16, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

DOT5 is silicone and wont absorb water. This means as water gets into the system it pools against metal surfaces which can cause rust and other problems. From everything I have read on it it is not wise to use unless you flush very frequently and have lots of track use.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html

Ahh gently caress, its a little late unfortunately. Would it be horrible if I flushed out the DOT5 with a whole lot of DOT4?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

Ahh gently caress, its a little late unfortunately. Would it be horrible if I flushed out the DOT5 with a whole lot of DOT4?

That's what I'd do.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Today I ordered new Pilot screws for the 1986 GS550ES.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Z3n posted:

That's what I'd do.

Thats the last time I trust those crazy old bastards on the KZ650 forums. :mad:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
For the weekend but:

2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
- Replaced throttle cables with 400E cables to work with FCR carb.
- Fixed hole in gas tank with lots of jb weld.
- Scotch taped my tail light back together temporarily.
- Replaced missing bar end.
- hammered for 30 minutes on my bent foot peg before giving up and paying Rob at Evolution Suspension $100 to bend it back with a blowtorch.
- Took my newbie rider coworker out to some twisties for his first time.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

8ender posted:

Thats the last time I trust those crazy old bastards on the KZ650 forums. :mad:

Use whatever your manual calls for, every time. Believe it or not, even the Kaw engineers probably knew what they were doing (at least regarding brake fluid).

To contribute, I finally installed my oil cooler, new petcock, oiled my filters and installed my new front M/C

CoolBlue fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 16, 2009

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I cleaned all the grime off of her, and then put her on display in my front yards in hopes that someone steals it.

Seriously.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Check out this model I started.

I was designing a backrest/luggage rack to fabricate and figured I'd go ahead and do the rest of the bike too.

The backrest in question:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 17, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I adjusted the shifter a bit, discovered that the silly little box under the sissy bar can be removed, and sat on the bike for a while twisting the throttle and making "Vroom vroom!" noises in my head, dreaming of my MSF class on April 3rd.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Don't worry, that 'sitting on the bike making vroom noises' doesn't ever get old. I still find myself doing it occasionally when wrenching away. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Ha! Nice to know I'm not the only one who does it, then :)

I have to say, just having worked on the bike a tiny bit, and pushing it around the garage have made me a good deal less scared of it then I was at first. I cannot even begin to explain just how tempting it is to try and take it out, ESPECIALLY on beautiful days like we just had here.

My MSF course can't come soon enough!

Now, back to the garage to make more vroom noises :dance: