Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I bought it... Well not quite. The PO will be delivering it Sat.

First thing that happens with it:
Oil change
Fairing swap back to stock
Tender love & care while I pamper it like a baby

It's a 2003 Limited edition R1.

I'll list the nifty toys that come with bike.
It is heavily upgraded:
* Akropovic Full Titanium race pipe with Carbon fiber can
* Power Commander 3 with custom map installed
* Graves Velocity stacks
* Graves Slide stops
* EBC HH race brake pads
* Gafler steel braided front and rear brake lines
* BMC race air filter
* Arata adjustable rear sets
* 520 Sproket kit with 1 down in the front and up 2 in the rear
* CRG race brake levers
* FULL SET OF SHARKSKINS RACE FAIRINGS Great for track days!
* Extra rear wheel with roters and sproket
* Ohlins Steering Stableizer A MUST HAVE!
* Frame sliders
* Gregs customs LED signals
* 2 Puig Double bubble windscreens one red one clear
* Tank Grips
* 2 sets of Dunlop tires and a pirelli diablo
* Lockhart Phillips LED License plate holder

^^^^^
Sorry was just cut and pasted from CL (I'll remove if thats not cool)

It's comming with 2 sets of wheels and 2 fairings.
The custom Plate says Team R1 which I'm kinda Meh about. Getting it for a grand total of $4800 with 17k miles on the clock.

Here is the bike in both forms.

E: content

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Nice. That thing is going to hit like a monster with the slide stops and the velocity stacks, so be careful.

Ayemen reverend I rode it just briefly at his place today. The bike was ready to put the fear of god into me and instantly command respect. It is custom tuned at the moment for racing. I am going to be saving off the tune and cutting it back a touch until I feel comfortable and ready for more power. I think I rode every bike for sale within 50 miles. All of them were powerful but not quite like this.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Tachonium posted:

Changed the oil and filter last night. Should have been a quick 30min tops operation. Oh no! The bike gods are angry. Two of the filter cover bolts broke. So it became bolt removal and replacement time. I get everything back together, fill it up and the bike pukes out half the oil upon starting. The filter cover gasket slipped without my noticing apparently. :ughh:

Drain, re-seat gasket, refill and yay! no leaks!

Ouch! An oil change is one of the first things I have to do. I'm slightly concerned since I haven't changed a bikes oil in 5 yrs but meh. Glad you realized it slipped and belched that oil out or it could have been bad.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I changed the oil, got all my paperwork signed and am going to be handling the title today. I need to order new fairings and a new headlight assembly and all should be well. I'll try and get some pics up tonight but she's in pieces!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I have done several things over the past 2-3 days.

My brake lever broke, there are pictures in my fist full of death thread.
So I got a new OEM replacement lever and installed it.

The bike needed an oil change since it sat for a year or so.
Fresh full synthetic Castol 10w40 and a new K&N filter for my baby. I drained it and ran a half a quart through it for a bit of a rinse as well.

Clutch lever was horrifically bent from the wreck with the PO.
Replaced the lever with a brand new OEM replacement. I tweaked it via the twist nut for personal feel. It went from a fight to not stall and even reach the lever to a smooth controlled pull.

Air filter was shot to pieces, had dirt and grass from the wreck in it.
Replaced the OEM paper filter with a new K&N filter.

I ordered a new set of fittings/bolts for the fairings.
I installed the new clips/brackets and took the roughed up fairings and mocked the bike up to test fit and see how it all fits together.

Parts awaiting delivery:
Front stay for headlights/tach
New headlight assembly

Things that still need to be done:
Fairings will be ordered this coming Thursday once I get paid. I will be ordering them from http://www.nicecycle.com/ (I'm taking suggestion on what paint job to get! considered getting an R6 paint job on the R1 for that "sleeper" effect)

Along with the new fairings I will be purchasing frame sliders.

I am going to have stainless steel brake lines installed if not this paycheck the next. The lines appear to be in good shape and are not giving me issues. However with the bike having been in a wreck I would rather do preventative maintenance than disaster recovery.

Right now that is the extent of my plans for the bike. I would like to look into a steering damper, Power commander, full exhaust system and mostly some cosmetics.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

8ender posted:

These guys mostly sell parts for old Japanese bikes but they have a big selection of new stainless steel brake parts at great prices. I ended up converting my lines to stainless for less than $50. Worth checking out:

http://www.z1enterprises.com

I don't see anything there for my bike as listed by model. I honestly am not really comfortable with handling brakes myself as far as installation goes. I am comfortable with almost every other aspect of maintenance. I just have issues tinkering with the one part that controls whether I live or die 100%.

That being said if we have a get together sometime in a month or two I can pick up the parts and materials, with a 6 pack and come hang out.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

8ender posted:

He's got the brake stuff buried a few pages in. Try here:

http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=YPWB1

Brake lines are easy. The lines and fittings just screw together and then screw onto the master cylinder and caliper with a banjo. Easy peasy. The hardest part is bleeding the master cylinder. That said if you're anxious about doing it yourself I can understand.

That is my main issue. I have done hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike with some rough results. If I can see it done once I will be fine with it. When I have it done I will go watch the service techs do it if nothing else.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Move out or buy some rotor locks. I moved out at 18 and was on a ramen noodle budget for a loooong time. With a bike your gas savings should be fairly significant so hopefully that will help you offset rent. Seriously though, if there is any way you can move out do it. The freedom is absolutely intoxicating if you've never been on your own before. Just be frugal and build up a bit of a bankroll just in case you fall on hard times.

You'll grow a lot as a person when you start having to do everything for yourself.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Sigh, the little Honda I'm riding is leaking oil from the head, I'm going to have to do a top end job on it. I picked up a full gasket kit on Dennis Kirk for the CM200T for about $58. I also ordered the manual and I'll read it thoroughly before I begin the job.

On a side note, it's a small leak and as long as I watch the oil really closely how long do you goons think I can ride it for? I'd say over a week and half it's lost maybe 1/8th to 1/4 quart @ the most.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Where is it leaking from on the head?

And you're fine riding it just keep it in the fill lines.

It's leaking from where the head attaches to the case. It's definitely a blown gasket. On a side note, this morning I noticed my right exhaust pipe is literally cracked into two pieces. I'm going to see if a buddy can weld it up for me, and in the interim I'm just going to go buy an aluminum strip and a hose clamp. The other side probably has the same thing as it has an aluminum strip and a hose clamp. I'd already guessed that, but I didn't bother to check....

Edit: For content:

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 18, 2011

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Saga posted:

Just you wait - my son insists on "helping" with bike maintenance.

This usually involves finding a sharp tool and poking the bike with it. I should probably get him a very small hide mallet or something like that.

Crayvex posted:

My son "helps" me by putting small objects in my bike's exhausts. (sigh)

Jesus I'm glad I'm sterile...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Eventually I'm sure I'll want kids, but I'm not in a position right now (both mentally and financially) to have them. My dad would probably cry if he got dirt under his fingernails, my love of wrenching comes straight from my Grandpa and great Grandpa. I have a toolkit my Grandpa got me the day I was born, I still use some of them to this day. I will most likely adopt when the time comes, I've heard it's a bitch to do, but I work for the state and have a completely clean record. Unfortunately my wife has had some mental issues throughout her life and I am a little concerned she wouldn't be able to deal with it.

I recommend getting them their own really nice starter tool kit. Put it out of their reach and make sure they get to use it when working with you. Teach them the value of staying organized and putting their tools up. Break bolts loose and let them take'em out. Tighten them down and let the kid give it a good final tightening because they are stronger than you :toughguy: . Small stuff like that goes a long way. Above all bite your tongue when you bark your knuckles, my Grandpa had a small "parts room" that he would run into when he'd whack his hand or something and go looking for parts.... :fuckoff:

My original kit consists of:
10 and 12mm open and closed wrenches
7/16, 5/8 and 1/2" open and closed wrenches
5" phillips and flat blade screwdrivers
1/4" inch socket wrench - A really small one, I have no idea where he got it.
10, 12 14, 15, 3/8, 7/16. 5/8 and 1/2" sockets

All of it is old school Craftsman and it has been with me for almost 25 years. This is one of those things that if my house was on fire I would probably run in to get.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I bought it....

$3800 out the door no BS. Really surprised, the dealer was awesome.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Bixington posted:

Man, just yesterday some guy with an Impreza with a sticker saying some crap like "Keep drooling I'm spooling" on it would not piss off. My roommate with a literally taped together XJ600 smoked him off the line eventually.

Also somebody tried to steal his bike last night but left mine mysteriously alone. Assholes tried to screwdriver the key, then pulled random wires to try to hotwire it. Luckily they managed not to short anything and he got it working fine within the hour.

On the topic of bumper stickers; my uncle has a Dodge Demon 440. It's been heavily worked over and is putting around 800 to the ground. He has a bumper sticker that says, "My fuel pump is louder than your Prius!" and it is....

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I had a nice set of ASV levers I got for my R1, but they got to me after it was sold. The brake lever won't work but the clutch lever did with some modification. I just filed down the metal to fit into the receiver for the clutch. It works perfectly and gives a much better feel for me.

I've still got the original clutch and just stuck it in the rear pouch in case I need it. Anyone see an issue with my redneck engineering? The ASV seems to be made of stronger metal than the stock clutch. The ASV is still thicker than the stock even after being filed down.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

invision posted:

That lever looks pretty awesome... how much did you pay for the pair?

I paid like $75 for the pair, I still have the Brake and will post it later for sale. It's compatible with a lot of bikes. I went through a group buy on the R1 forums and got them stupid cheap, but they didn't show up for 3 months.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

sirbeefalot posted:

Got paid for it. :whatup:

Getting approximately 33% more than what I paid a year and a half ago for the SV1k. Gonna send them invoices for gear later, and talk about injury compensation as well.

I'm gonna miss those grunty 996 cc's, but I don't really know what's next. Some of this will go towards getting the Ninjette back on the road in the meantime. I'm still jonesing for a DRZ or SMC 690 but I don't think that's in the cards for a while.

e; Jesus, just saw the 60 month 0% financing from Suzuki. Maybe that DRZ is closer than I thought. :swoon:

Free money go go go buy buy buy...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

sirbeefalot posted:

Yeah, reason took over pretty much immediately after I posted that. I haven't seen one on a local lot in a while, anyway.

http://www.bikefinds.com/suzuki-drz400-supermoto-for-sale Helped me a lot looking for mine, I also posted a "looking for drz sm" ad in CL. I got a few calls some were way to high, but the guy that called me saw my ad.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sir Cornelius posted:

The Norse Gods demands that you shut the gently caress up. We can't all live in California. But you're right.

Cornelius please don't ever change.

On that note I just ordered some water wetter...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

I put some stuff on a couple things..

I'm seriously considering doing this in black/red for the DRZ. I love the half & half look.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

All of my friends are hating, but they either don't have motorcycles at all or have yet to enjoy a supermoto, so gently caress em' :smug:

Motard and retard sound very alike for a very good reason. I believe one causes the other but not in every case...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

I put some stuff on a couple things..

So you just taped over the spokes, disc and wheel to paint? Did you tape your rear sprocket or remove it for the rear wheel? What kind of sanding prep is involved? I may do this to my DRZ this weekend, I just want to make sure I prep it all properly and don't screw it up. I want it to look good.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

Took off wheel, degreased the rim, masked off spokes/valve stem. Didn't prep the original surface, 2 coats of primer, light sanding with 220grit, masked off half the wheel, 2 coats of white, masked off the white side, 2 coats of blue.

Also, playing cards between wheel/tire make it so you don't have to mask the whole tire, trade secrets my friend.

Awesome, I will be doing this very soon!:smug:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I put on my new front sprocket. Whats the rule of thumb for making sure your rear wheel alignment is right? I have always measured from the swingarm mounting bolt to the axle bolt and according to that I got it dead on first try, but it just seems like that can't be humanly possible.

I'm out of chain lube, any recommendations? I've been using a wax based lube and I like that it's drier, but the lubrication seems to be lacking.

Content:

Me squidding it up for a short spin to make sure everything felt right after the sprocket install.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sir Cornelius posted:

Just wipe it clean in cheap 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil.

Are you serious? I have some 10w40 in the garage, but I'm not sure I like the idea of it slinging engine oil all over the place. How often do I lube it if I use 10w40?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Thanks for the advice guys, this is basic poo poo and I don't know why I'm struggling with it. I'm going to be tearing in to the Honda soon and hopefully I'll get over being a pansy about working on the bikes. It's weird I've never been timid about them before, but I noticed after I got the Honda I started getting antsy about tearing stuff up. I think the mental dynamic changes a bit when it's your every day ride.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Just got off the phone with a guy on CL. He'll be bringing me a set of DRZ dirt wheels with tires and a desert tank. I have to swap the rotors on the dirt wheels to SM rotors right? Anyone have any idea how much that's going to cost me? I'd really like to avoid swapping the rotors off of my SM wheels back and forth, but this spent most of my "bike" cash for the month.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

For around the same price speed addict cycles does an EBC 320mm rotor with adapter for the stock caliper. That's what I'd do, probably. Although the stock SM brake is way overkill offroad.

I can't seem to find it on their site. Any chance you could link me, or do I need to call them?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Call or send an email.

Will do Muchas Gracias.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
So I got my dirt wheels which have brand new tires on them. I also got a new tank, it came off a 2002 DRZ E model. It's probably not "compatible" with my model, but I utilized 3 of 4 mounting bolts. It also has the seat cover it by a good amount. I can't figure out what kind of tank this is, but it's huge. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. I just filled my stock tank up and I drained it's contents into the new one. It only filled it up about 1/3 on one side...

So, have you seen this tank?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I feel like an idiot! I swapped my stock tank for the Desert tank and I tried to ride earlier. I couldn't get the bike to run without the choke open....

I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out what was going on with no luck. I thought I was going to have to re-install the stock tank. I started looking at it and noticed the second nipple...

I missed that stupid vacuum line, so a quick bolt shoved in the tube and a run to the parts store later and it's all good. The IMS 4 gallon tank seems to fit the SM model DRZ, but it requires grinding down the horn mounting bracket and using a longer bolt to mount both the horn and the tank It's a magic trick holding the horn while screwing the tank and the horn into a hole you can't see and have to shift the tank slightly to get at, but it can be done.

Holy run on sentences batman!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Jabs posted:

I'm pretty sure that I have the same tank.
It's awesomeness.
It says it's a 4 gallon tank, but after running on reserve to almost bone dry, and it actually took 4.8 to fill to the cap.
Infrequent fuel stops make me happy.

The extra fuel weight from a full tank actually puts me in race sage and I noticed a happy little increase in how responsive the bike is in corners. This was high on my want list and I'm happy to get it out the way early on.

Yay tank buddies!:hfive:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I used my bike to drive over my foot just now... That hurt!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

Went to the local shop to ask about some parts

2x Avon Roadrider tires: $280 + tax (online price $202)
1x 12Ah flooded lead-acid battery: $80 + tax, no core rebate (online price $40)
1x chain: 1971 CL350 is not in online Honda parts catalog, therefore impossible to determine what chain it uses

Then I went into the Honda room (the local place is about 60% harley 40% honda) to window shop, started playing with the levers on a CBR125, the guy walks up and laughs and says "oh you wouldn't like that one".

"No? How come?"
"Hah, it's...too fast for you." (laugh)
"Well, I dunno, I kinda like the smaller bikes."
"Well I guess on the right road I suppose. This thing is just too light for me. I'm used to heavier bikes so this one just feels like it's going to float away."

Then I told him I was restoring a CL350 and he didn't seem to know what it was.

Come on, guys. I really want to support the local businesses but this is just getting kind of hard now.

That's not surprising. The sales guy where I picked up my DRZ didn't know very much about bikes. However when I talked to him about bikes his attitude was totally positive and he tended to just agree with me on most things. When I had an actual question he showed his real intelligence though and brought me a mechanic to chat with.

I don't mind them not knowing something, just don't try to bullshit me about it and we'll be good.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Except the motorcycle way doesn't stupidly preload steering so's you can't navigate if you've had more than 1 40 and force you to steer into traffic completely at random then fall over in the lane and jump up and curse out your groceries and the sidewalk.

I've seen too many hobos do this wrong. Hanging stuff off the mirrors seems better. Saddle bags might be even better, even on an R6 or whatever.

ZX-6R....:eng101:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

KARMA! posted:

What the hell...

Yeah, I measure from swingarm bolt center to axle bolt center.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
My wife and I pulled the engine out of the Honda. We'll be tearing it down and doing all new seals, have the valves ground, put new rings on the piston and doing a valve job. This will be my wife's first engine teardown and the first I've done in almost 7 years. It should be interesting.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ziploc posted:

poo poo. Was inspecting the motorbeik today and noticed that the pillion peg hanger/mount has a hair crack in it. (I originally dismissed it as a scratch but NOPE) It will hold the exhaust just fine, but I definitely wouldn't want to trust to much weight on it. Putting weight on it opens the crack somewhat.

BikeBandit can't seem to get a replacement. That doesn't make me confident that the dealer will be able to get me one either. :saddowns:

check Dennis Kirk and see if you can find a microfiche or something with a part number, once you have that it's easy to find one.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

I don't mind the big interchange, but that vast wastelandgodlike supermoto playground of parking lot is depressingAwesome as gently caress.
I fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I swapped my rotors and sprocket over from my 17" rims. Whoever put the sprocket on was an idiot. I think they may have used an impact wrench because they were absolutely fused. I used heat and everything else in my tool box to no avail. I finally said gently caress it and ripped'em off with vicegrips.

I have to order new rotors and another sprocket for my street rims now, but the D606's should last the 2 weeks from tomorrow until I get paid. I also installed my moose fender-bag, but it's empty right now. I'll be picking up spoons and tubes soonish too.

Should I consider different dirt tires or should I stick with D606's for the next set? Once I've got the street wheels set up they'll be doing weekday duty and the dirt wheels will only see weekend use. Whatever I get needs to be able to survive 40-50 mile rides on pavement to the trail heads.