Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rode it to work this morning (SV650), 28 degrees and loved every minute of it...minus the frozen fingers.

Then got home and took out the DRZ. Jumped curbs, cut through fields and played around in and around town. drat I missed riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Put the naked handlebars and triple trees back on the SV, took it grocery shopping. Going to attempt to daily ride that as long as possible. Hopefully the only thing that will stop me from riding is snow/ice.

Played on the motard, did my first set of stairs. Then decided I wanted to play in the dirt. Like a dumbass I grabbed the front brake too hard in a semi-panic stop and went down. So my 1 piece leathers have a orange tint to them in a few spots now, the bike and I are fine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

jdonz posted:

If you could only do one or the other, which would you pick? Motorcycle riding or flying a plane?

I've wanted to take flying lessons for as long as I can remember...

I began taking the classes for a private liscence two years ago and while I enjoyed the time in the air I think I have more fun on the bike. The added bonus of bikes being a lot cheaper helps as well.

Go do one of the intro lessons that you can find for $50 or so and see if you like it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sold it...sold the 1987 Suzuki DS100 to make room for the 1997 KDX200 I am picking up tomorrow afternoon.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Partially disassembled the KDX to check on some stuff and see how it is put together. If it wasn't raining like crazy I would be out playing...drat rain.

Rode up and down the street a bit last night before the rain started. Yay 2 smoke at 9pm.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

We got snow Friday night, about 3 inches of wet heavy slush. Saturday evening it all froze. This morning I took the KDX around the neighborhood and yard. Was surprised with how much grip was available...lifted the front wheel cruising across the front field.

So now the neighbors really think I am insane and I had a blast. Didn't even go down once. Had the GoPro mounted in case I did but turns out the batteries were dead.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 1, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

After stupidly listening to the weather forecast for the past two days that said snow and ice I rode the bike into work today. The last two days were fine and today was fine, good to be back on the bike with my nice parking spot in front.

Did realize that just because my neighborhood is clear doesn't mean the whole route is clear. Got to do 1-2 miles of icy lovely roads, surprisingly no one felt the need to tailgate me going through there. Only had the rear end slip on two occasions, one on accident while accelerating and one when I was hitting the rear brake to check traction.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Changed the oil in the DRZ and SV. Then got comfortable dragging knee on a motard for a few hours.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ordered tires for the DRZ, tried mounting a new rear on the SV (can't get the drat thing to seat), worked on low speed technique in the back yard with the KDX.

Hope to get the SV tire finished up tonight so I can go ride tomorrow. Room mate is picking up a battery for the DRZ either tonight or tomorrow morning. Either way I should have a street legal bike to ride.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rode it in to work, nothing unusual about that. Only issue is I forgot to look at the forecast last night. Looked fine at my house when I left, hit a few flurries on the way in but no big deal. It has been snowing hard (for TN) since I got to work.

Should be an interesting ride home.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 2, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rode it...520 interstate miles...gently caress

SV did great and rode well all day. Me on the other hand, I'm a bit sore but learned some things I will change before I attempt a long ride again (windscreen, lower pegs). The weather was beautiful though and the ride was nice.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Supermotos: If you're not breaking at least one law when you ride it at the speed limit, you're doing it wrong!

Supermotos: What traffic? The sidewalks/parking lot/yard are wide open.

Did this again last night. Not thinking I headed out during the minor traffic we get and instead of sitting there I lane split, rode the sidewalk and cut through parking lots.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Spiffness posted:

The sickness begins when you start cutting through parks.

If there was a park on my commute I'm sure I would have. I have taken a short cut through a golf course...does that count?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Replaced the speed sensor on my SV after it not working for a month or more. Will be nice to know how much I am speeding. The teeth on the sensor were gone...did last around 38k miles though so I'm not complaining.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

When I had to tear down my Ducati to the frame, the speedometer cable was laying on the floor in the garage and one of my buddies stepped on it and broke the attaching part of it. And the KTM also doesn't have a speedometer. I think I'm just asking for speeding tickets :sigh:

Tested the speedo today riding to work...almost wish I didn't fix it. Turns out I've been making pretty good time to work. What I thought was 45-50 was 60, what I thought was 60 turns out to be 70.

So now the question is do I go by my speedo (which is likely off by a bit) or just go by the RPM like I have been for a month? I've ridden by plenty of cops in the past month and haven't had any issues.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Figured out the wiring on the 50, put it back together and put some oil in it. Kicked it to life and ran it for a few minutes. All that is left before it is running down the road are tires, grips and getting it out of my bedroom. At least the room smells nice now

Edit: ~6 hours later feeling a bit sick from the exhaust in the room even with the window open all day. Bike runs and I rode it up and down the road a few times. Needs some time spent doing some minor tuning then it will be ready for races.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 15, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cleaned the garage and parked the bikes :( Florida for a week and I was offered free plane tickets, I am going to miss riding.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Although installing the skid plate made me consider a deal with the devil...I shouldn't need to use a 2 ton floor jack to help me install a loving skid plate. Maybe if I'd stop crashing though then it wouldn't be such a pain in the rear end to install. :downs:

What skid plate did you go with? Been considering getting one for the DRZ along with a set of dirt wheels/tires

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Took the 50 to a test and tune day. Ended up being 3 hours racing around a few parking lots. Found out my bike runs like absolute poo poo and that I was stupid to not bring my leathers to a test and tune day. Need to get the bike figured out for the race tomorrow.

Those little bikes will kick your rear end if you don't respect them. Two people looped them attempting wheelies, 3 low sides, 1 high side.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 27, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Woke up early to prep the SV for a little road trip to drop off the pig. Adjusted/lubed the chain and checked the tire pressures. Took it off the stand and rolled it into the driveway so I could close the garage and went inside to suit up.

Come back out to the bike laying on its side...driveway claims another. Broken clutch lever, bent shifter. Looks like I'm taking the DRZ on a 200 mile interstate trip :suicide:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Converted the DRZ back to street duty. Took maybe five minutes...plug the headlight and tail light back in, remove tape from lights, go play.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Put the Nelson Riggs bags that I picked up off NewEnough on the SV. A little big but it sure beats riding to work every day with a overstuffed timbuk2 bag and a large tank bag.

Sorry for the lovely cell phone pic...no clue where my camera is.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

PadreScout posted:

Me old man tried those in his R1150, he said they're great unless you take off fast, at which point you'll end up in a ditch.

Haven't had issues with them myself and the local BMW/Duc/Aprillia/Triumph dealership swears by them so they can't be too bad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Swapped the chain on the SV, planned on doing sprockets as well but they looked fine. Also pieced together a mount for the Garmin 2610.

Prepping the bike for a short road trip this weekend and a possible long one in a couple weeks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The rule I always followed with MX bikes was change the sprockets at the same time you change the chain. The sprockets act as a bearing of sorts, and without replacing them your new chain will not last as long.

Damnit that probably isn't a bad idea...maybe I'll pull the wheel tomorrow night and swap those over real quick. Better than ruining a new chain.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Last night I picked up a 1987 TLR200 trials bike. When I went to look at it I made sure it was cold and kicked it to life on the first start. Tried to die as soon as you got more than 1/4 throttle.

This afternoon I get home from work and tear into the carb cleaning it out. Put everything back together and start kicking...ten minutes later and still nothing. Pull the plug and see no spark. So pull the bike back apart and start checking the entire electrical system.

After tracing every wire, checking continuity and trying a couple spare coils I realize I haven't tried a new plug. New plug and plenty of spark :suicide: By now all the auto parts places are closed. Going out of town tomorrow so I won't be able to ride the drat thing until Monday night.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Got the TLR200 running, I was reading the plug backwards making it worse. Went from idling like poo poo and bogging with any gas applied to idling great and only a slight bog on quick throttle inputs.

drat that little bike is something though. I think 1st gear might hit 5mph and the turning radius...I feel like I'm turning super sharp then realize I have a lot more steering angle. Thing reminds me of a tractor, just lugs around with lots of torque at idle.

Did a few little power wheelies in the back yard, man body input is huge on how much it lofts. First few were just throttle and I could ride it for a foot or so maybe 6-10 inches off the ground max. Then I pulled back on the bars and almost looped it.

drat though there isn't poo poo for airflow at 5mph, 80 degrees and humid kind of sucks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Yesterday afternoon I swapped bikes with a friend of mine for a week. My DRZ400SM for his ZX6R.

His rear sets are as far up and back as possible which makes it a little uncomfortable for commuting and around town but drat get on a windy road and that bike is great. Good power, good suspension, good brakes, good everything. I still can't see riding one on the street vs my SV650 but drat if I don't want one for a track bike now.

He jumped his first curb last night and is having fun with the DRZ but said he misses the power of the ZX6R.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Fixed the KDX after my last crash then took it to windrock for some dirt riding. 40 miles of dirt riding with only one low speed crash on some slick clay.

A bit sore from standing for most of the day on the bike but it was a lot of fun. Good prep for the dual sport ride tomorrow.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

N183CS posted:

I found the vacuum leak on my F650, so it doesn't surge anymore. I almost don't want to sell it now. Took the R100 out for a little local tour.

I started to install the new Renthal grips to replace the giant meatfist sized grips but they are kicking my rear end, I better go fight them some more.

Dammit I DO NOT need another motorcycle

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Will I get laughed out of the thread if I start talking about moped work? Although the vast majority of my maintenance/upgrades are done by now. Once I get a new project I'll have a lot more to post, I'm sure.

Mopeds kick rear end and anything with two wheels and preferably a motor is fine.

I started pricing out a GSXR front end for my SV today and was sad...then I looked at what stock SV front ends are selling for and wasn't sad any more.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

I might do it this weekend. I've got 3k mile trip ahead on the DRZ, so I think it'd probably be a good idea for me to fix that loving stock seat.

A few of the DRZ guys around here got some cheap seat cover from wal-mart or something that they wrap around the top of the seat. They say it makes the seat a lot more comfortable.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

HNasty posted:

added this, IRC bro for life.

I still need to get down to the DMV...maybe this afternoon.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MrZig posted:

Added electric start to the drz. PO took it off and all the wiring that goes with it to save weight. What a retard. 7 hours of work to get it but it works perfectly. Had to re wire all the kill switches, some ignition wires, install the solenoid and battery and those wires, route them all accordingly and shrink tube the crimps. It took forever but it was very satisfying to work perfectly on the first try, and I know it will last.

It is civiliszed!

I did the opposite on the CRF today. Took off all the horribly done electronics the previous owners added to make it street legal. No more dual sport touring kit, no more hideous acerbis alien headlight, no more battery waiting to be crushed. Cut at least 50 zip ties and pulled a ton of useless wiring.

Will be replacing the whole mess with a LED headlight & taillight, will retain working brake lights and a nice lipo battery pack to power everything. The bike doesn't have a charging system so why run a system like you would on a bike that does. Simple easy to remove total-loss power system.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Took the SV out for a day of riding in the mountains. Hit the gap, foothills parkway, blue ridge parkway and some other fun twisty roads. Felt good to take the commuter out for some fun riding.

Actually glad the CRF isn't ready to ride yet. 300 miles would have been very uncomfortable and would have required another oil change and valve check.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

I use one of these in spreader configuration when I do the chain/wheel on the KTM. I've even done it on my friends big heavy pig of a Harley. Super quick, super easy, has multiple uses apart from this and it's much smaller than a rear stand.

Genius, I've got a bunch of those in varying sizes. Never knew you could use them as a spreader and never imagined lifting a bike with one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bit more original than the burnout to kill a shot tire.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kylej posted:

I use this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html

Took me about half an hour to do all the brake lines.

For bikes those work fine. If your doing cars frequently you owe it to yourself to get a pressurized bleeder (http://brakebleeders.com/brake-bleeder-kits/0100-european-brake-bleeder-kit).

With one of those and speed bleeders I could bleed all four corners of my track car in under 5 minutes, flush the system completely in 10. Only downside is I've never seen them in-store, always have bought them online.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I think cars with ABS don't work well with the vacuum pumps. I had to pump the brakes on mine manually for it to really do anything. Not sure on the pressurized ones.

That could be, the pressure system is all I've used on cars with ABS. One thing to be sure of is make sure your car doesn't have a vent tube for the brake fluid. We found out old Porsche's (1978) do...made a hell of a puddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Pulled the carb on the NX125 I picked up last night. Was full of poo poo in the float bowl and one of the jets needed to be drilled out. Guess that explains why it wasn't running great.

Tomorrow I'm picking up front and rear tubes for it then it should be ready to ride.