Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed the finest, cheapest gear indicator that eBay had to offer.

Purposely put it out of view as I don't need to see it normally during riding, just want to be able to glance down to see if I'm in fifth or sixth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

There's an easier way to tell. Tap the gear lever up. If it didn't change gear, you're in 6th, if it did, you're now in 6th.

Fine I just wanted to farkle out the bike HAPPY MOM?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Did all 3 rear wheel bearings today on the 919. One was crunchy so I did the set.

For some reason I thought it would be a whole ordeal, but I had all 3 done in an hour. Stuck em in the freezer for an hour and hit the hub with a heat gun and they basically fell into place.

Found water pooled on top of one of the bearings under the seal, and I’ve never ridden it in rain and haven’t washed it in at least a month, so safe to say the seal wasn’t sealing anymore.

Will do the front when I pull the forks this weekend.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Front bearings done, took less time than the rears. Pulled the forks, waiting on a long hex driver for the lower bolts which should be here tomorrow then I'll start proper disassembly. I'll probably polish the header pipes while I have the extra clearance to work with the forks removed, it's looking pretty sad.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finished up my fork service. New oil, seals, guide bushings, sliders and orings. The sliders looked okay but the guide bushings were pretty worn. Old oil was basically black per usual.

Saw a tip somewhere for probably the simplest oil level tool yet, just a spray nozzle with a zip tie at the right height. Worked great. Just need to aim into the catch pan when spraying out the excess.

Took it for a quick scoot and I could feel the difference as soon as I rolled over the edge of my driveway. Front end feels much more planted and composed. It just felt very tired before and if it had ever been serviced in its 40k life, it's been a looong time.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Lol this is so stupid

Exactly what I was saying to myself as I was squiring fork oil 4-5 feet into my catch pan haha. But you can't argue with free and functional!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Spark plugs and PAIR delete. Plugs were trivial other than #3 which was a little tight, but moving the coil out of the way and using the spark plug tool in the factory tool kit made it easy enough. The plugs were all barely finger tight so that was cool, more fun from the hacks the PO had working on this thing. Probably tightened by the same moron who tightened the drain plug that disappeared on me when I was riding it home after purchase.

Also wired up a relay and installed a USB port. Trying some VHB first as I really don't want to drill into the frame and there's not really a better place to put it. Also prewired for heated grips I have coming so that should be a pretty quick install.

opengl fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 4, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slide Hammer posted:

To be honest, I'd rather have fighter-tight spark plugs than gorilla-wrenched plugs. It's fine if a plug unscrews itself, then you can just screw it back in after dealing with the noise. Too tight and you might be looking at a helicoil job.

Agreed!

I randomly threw a clutch cover on a parts order a while back since it was cheap, even though it was indefinitely backordered and I never expected it to ship. Lo and behold it randomly showed up today 2 months later. I was briefly tempted to sit on it since mine wasn't that bad from the PO, but I couldn't resist throwing it on. New screws too for good measure.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Grip heaters and new grips. Kind of annoyed, I've used these same heaters on 3 bikes now, and they used to ship them with a bracket for the round rocker switch if you don't have a fairing or similar to drill a hole and mount it in.

That's what it looked like on my Street Triple. Since they don't include it anymore I got a universal handlebar mounted switch. It's functional but a little chunky for me. May keep an eye out for a cleaner solution, or could probably fab something up since its really just a bracket with 2 different sized holes on it.

Went with the same Pro Grips I put on my Ninja 250...checks notes...over 15 years ago (gently caress me), since I really liked them then. Wiring was pretty simple since I prewired for these when I installed the relay and the USB port.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Agreed the Oxford controller is lolhuge. I liked the look of the Kosos but glad I didn't spring for them if they don't hold up.

Really I went with these because I like that the heating and grips are separate components, just like keeping your modem and router separate. And it's just 2 different elements in each grip that take 12v, no fancy controllers, just a 3 way switch. Cheaper, too. Heaters were $45 and the grips $20. And they've served me well in the past.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Last time I had the Honda out I hit the horn button to get the nth person staring at their phone after the light has turned green to move, and only got a comical sounding fweuhhhhh.

It was just a loose connection but I dropped a freeway blaster in anyway since the stock horn is so piddly sounding. Nice and loud now.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I frigging hate gravel, one of my favorite local roads happens to line a quarry and it completely saps any fun you can have on it since you never know where there's gonna be a pile of the stuff.

T-rex just did another run of their sliders for the 919 if you don't have any yet

https://www.t-rex-racing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=N33

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The last time I had to use a repair plug it lasted the remainder of the tire's life, at least 5000 miles. If it holds air I'd run it, just check your pressure often until you're sure.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Put a Healtech quickshifter on the Duke. Always wanted one of these, could never reliably get the hang of clutchless upshifts.

It works great, so much fun on a little bike that you are always banging through the gears on. Still tweaking the settings, but it's super easy since I can just pull over and open up the app to adjust timings and such.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Every single time someone types Fortnine my brain fills in Fortnite and I’m super confused as to why people are getting bike tips from Fortnite

I mean people get their financial advice from tiktok so it really isn't much of a stretch.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Also no it just a black seat, no spikes or weird poo poo. The gently caress do you need to look like a moron with studs spikes and crap?

Uh, how else will people know what a tough guy you are?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I put one of those YSS shocks in my 919, I'm really happy with it. I consider it an OEM+ replacement for the spanked original 40k mi shock, at a third of a price of an Ohlins or similar.

Love the lower fairings, I lusted after a set when I had my 2007 SV.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The above linked video is so close to perfect, and it would be if it didnt have the music.

Stick a good mic next to the bike and let that be the soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-WtZ1VrAFM

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

T Zero posted:

Re: phones - Per someone's suggestion here, I use a waterproof burner phone without service for navigation and tether it to my main phone in a secure pocket. It saved me $$ when I failed to properly mount the phone on a borrowed bike.

I was gearing up to do this then realized how much I hate actually having a phone on my bars. It's too much of a distraction. I just leave it in my pocket and if I need directions I use voice prompts through my Sena.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Started digging in for the oil pan replacement on the 919.

The exhaust needs to come off, which means the radiator needs to be moved out of the way. Since I have no idea when the PO last did the coolant, I just went ahead and drained it and removed the radiator entirely. Coolant was definitely overdue.

Exhaust nuts looking angry

As I expected, 6 out of the 8 studs came out with the nuts

The head side of the studs is in good shape (as are the threads in the head luckily) but the nut side is a horror show. I tried soaking them for 8 hours and busting the nuts loose, but they are completely fused. The open end of the nut just lets all the moisture and goodness that the front tire throws up in to marinate.

Bleh. I was hoping to reuse these, already had a big parts order come in ahead of time for this job and optimistically just threw a couple nuts on there. Now I need to order new studs and nuts and wait for those to come in. I was tempted to just zip the studs back in as-is but I know that's a bad idea.

At least I have plenty of room to press on with the oil pan replacement in the meantime.

Since I have the time I'll probably clean up the header pipes, did a quick pass on one as a test a little while back and it came out pretty nice.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

That looks nice. How long did it take?

That was about 15 minutes with a scotch brite pad and some metal polish.

knox_harrington posted:

For a 20 year old bike that looks in decent nick to me. I remember trying to swap the exhaust headers on my CBR600FX when it was maybe 7 years old and the first stud just sheared off like it was cheese.

Honestly was half expecting this to happen so I can't complain too much about having to wait on some new hardware.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oil pan is on and sealed up w/ Hondabond. Pretty happy with how the engine looks internally for 42k mi

(Yes, I thoroughly, obsessively cleaned off the old stuff first)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl posted:

Started digging in for the oil pan replacement on the 919.

The exhaust needs to come off, which means the radiator needs to be moved out of the way. Since I have no idea when the PO last did the coolant, I just went ahead and drained it and removed the radiator entirely. Coolant was definitely overdue.

Exhaust nuts looking angry

As I expected, 6 out of the 8 studs came out with the nuts

The head side of the studs is in good shape (as are the threads in the head luckily) but the nut side is a horror show. I tried soaking them for 8 hours and busting the nuts loose, but they are completely fused. The open end of the nut just lets all the moisture and goodness that the front tire throws up in to marinate.

Bleh. I was hoping to reuse these, already had a big parts order come in ahead of time for this job and optimistically just threw a couple nuts on there. Now I need to order new studs and nuts and wait for those to come in. I was tempted to just zip the studs back in as-is but I know that's a bad idea.

At least I have plenty of room to press on with the oil pan replacement in the meantime.

Since I have the time I'll probably clean up the header pipes, did a quick pass on one as a test a little while back and it came out pretty nice.

opengl posted:

Oil pan is on and sealed up w/ Hondabond. Pretty happy with how the engine looks internally for 42k mi

(Yes, I thoroughly, obsessively cleaned off the old stuff first)

New exhaust hardware came in Friday. Chased the stud threads, installed the new studs (with anti seize on the studs and nuts so it hopefully doesn't fight me should it need to come off again. btw those glue stick style anti seize dispensers rule), new exhaust gaskets and got the manifold back on. I left the two studs in place that stayed in the head, didn't want to risk complications even though I had new ones, the threads cleaned up fine on those two.

From there I got everything else buttoned up. Radiator back on after a deep cleaning with new clamps and repainted end tanks.

The overflow bottle can't come out without removing the shock (wtf) so I rigged up a siphon to drain and flush it. Ran a gallon of distilled water through the system, filled with another gallon, ran up to temp, drained, repeated once more until the water came out reasonably clear, refilled with 50/50 and burped the air out.

Took it for a shakedown ride today, happy to report no oil, water, or exhaust leaks. I also installed a quickshifter today, the same healtech unit I put on my 390, love it. So fun to just snick snick snick through the gears.

The exhaust cleaned up pretty nice, still a few spots I want to touch up but it's worlds better than it was before. Did my annual detailing as well. It still shines up pretty good!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Do you mean the metal wire strap you put under the seat? Most inconvenient thing ever, would never use.

I've had a few bikes with a hook(s) under the seat you slip the D ring into, and reinstall the seat, locking the helmet in place. It was super convenient. None of my current bikes have that though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My bike fell off the head stand at some point after I took the forks off... first time using that kind of stand, but it had the right size pin and it seated and locked down in place, so thought it would be good.

It didn't tip over thankfully, went straight down onto one of the exhaust headers and dented it a bit. I don't think anything else was damaged.

After I got a couple bottle jacks to just get it off the floor so it's not sitting on the headers, I've spent the past couple days trying to think of how to unfuck the situation. I don't have jacks long enough to get it back up enough to hoist it with any kind of head lift again, unless I jury rig some alternating jenga cinder blocks contraption. No roof joists in the garage I could use to hoist anything with. Maybe a foldable crane like the kind used for lifting engines? Also it has frame pegs, maybe I could take it off the rear stand and just lower it on one side slowly?

First picture is the best I took of it on the head lift, but maybe someone can tell if something didn't look right.

You've got me nervous now because that looks an awful lot like the cheap Amazon special front stand I have. I've used it on the 919 and Zero, both for several days and a week+ without issue. It feels stable enough to me but who knows.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Supradog posted:

Gradual degradation is a nasty thing. My mandatory item to replace on new to me bikes is always the fork oil. It's simply not a thing people do unless the seals leak, and it make so much difference.

I did a full fork service on the 919 at 41k miles, and I'm pretty sure it'd never been done before. The oil was pitch black. It was night and day after fresh oil and bushings.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed the Givi rack (the good one that won't snap your subframe) and a V47 top case. Still need to wire up the LEDs to my brake lights.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This is one of those super small jobs you normally ignore, but my OCD will not allow it. The side stand on the 919 was super gummy and wouldn't spring into the upright position, you'd have to guide it all the way up with your foot. Bringing it down was also gummy and not smooth feeling.

Disassembled, cleaned, greased up. That thing snaps right up now. Awww yeah.

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 21, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Gave up on finding a set of Angel GTs in A Spec for the FJR, they just don't exist right now and I'm guessing won't until the spring, so I splashed out for a set of Road 6 GTs. They are a massive improvement over the cupped and worn Contis that came on it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I think the more neighbor friendly method is to wire it up to your high beams but I'd imagine you'd want some sort of timeout on it so you don't nuke the opener by having it on full time whenever your brights are on.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

bizwank posted:

Good wet handling is crucial in my neck of the woods.

Then yep, you want the Road 6.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

More like the ride for my ride, but I finished building up my new trailer for bike hauling.

Last year I was running a little 4x6, it was just barely long enough for my 390.

With plans for a bigger track bike and wanting to be able to haul my other bikes should I need to, I sold that and picked up a 4x8. It was cheap because it came with a boat and nobody wanted to buy both. I was able to sell the boat pretty quickly so I'm only into the trailer for $100. I like these little utility trailers, they're nice and low so loading isn't sketchy, and light too which is important since I tow with my old Vibe.

It was a bare frame, no floor which is what I wanted anyway so I could build it up just how I wanted. Not in bad shape overall, just some light surface rust and as usual for used trailers, junk wiring and lights.

Stripped off the lights and wiring and gave it a quick wire wheel/spray bomb

Rebuilt the coupler (which was also junk and barely worked) and added a jack

Rewired and new LED tails/marker lights

New deck on, went with 5/4 pressure treated deck boards. Used carriage bolts at the front and rear and wood to metal screws at the crossmembers

Wrapping up: bolted down a wheel chock and plenty of e-track so I'm not married to any tie down points

Made the inaugural run last night picking up my new track bike, it towed great and the bike was rock solid

I still have a few little things to tidy up but it's more or less ready for track season.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rainy saturday so I hid in the garage getting some prep work done on the track bike.

Cut up some foam to properly secure the tiny Lifepo4 battery that was just banging around in there.

I discovered as I was listing it for sale that the Healtech quickshifter I removed from my 390 is compatible with the SV, since they use the same injector connectors, so installed that. Nice to not have to buy another one.

Installed speed bleeders and bled the brakes. I still love speed bleeders, so easy. Having a bleeder on the RCS 19 made it very easy to get a nice firm lever too.

(One of the) previous owner(s) did a not so great job of painting the frame and swingarm, it was coming off pretty badly. I kept telling myself it's a ratty track bike that's going to end up in the dirt sooner or later and to just touch it up if anything, but next thing I knew I had stripped the frame and swingarm. I just can't help myself. I'll finish prep this week and see how it takes to some fresh paint. Can't look any worse than it did before.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MSPain posted:

:eyepop:
your 2005 became a 2004

It was already a 2004 (or maybe a 2003, who knows the frame doesn't even have a VIN lol), just very poorly painted to look like an 05+.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl posted:

(One of the) previous owner(s) did a not so great job of painting the frame and swingarm, it was coming off pretty badly. I kept telling myself it's a ratty track bike that's going to end up in the dirt sooner or later and to just touch it up if anything, but next thing I knew I had stripped the frame and swingarm. I just can't help myself. I'll finish prep this week and see how it takes to some fresh paint. Can't look any worse than it did before.

Man just smack me over the head if I ever say I want to paint a frame and swingarm without already having the bike disassembled. I don't want to think about how much time I spent on this, mostly in prep. Even though I already had the old paint stripped, there was a lot of primer left so I spent more time with the wire wheel taking it down to bare metal, giving the new paint job a fighting chance to stick. Was half tempted to leave it like that.

Also had the added excitement of unforecasted rain starting right when I was in the middle of laying down paint, even though I was under my patio the wind was blowing it in so I had to set up a makeshift rain screen from scrap cardboard, trash cans and trash bags in record time.

It turned out pretty drat good for a rattle can job though. 3 coats of self etching primer, 3 coats of satin black, 3 coats of matte clear. Reassembled, oil changed, setup the quick shifter. Track ready. First day in 2 weeks, can't wait.

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 31, 2024

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Set up a tether for a little insurance for these old bones on the track bike

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sold it, finally. It'd been listed since October. By far the longest it's ever taken me to sell a bike, and by far the most money I've ever lost on one during ownership. Had to trailer it to the buyer almost 2 hours away to close the deal but it is done.

I enjoyed the hell out of it but really didn't want to be on the hook for an out of warranty battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Supradog posted:

For scientific purposes and sorry for your loss, but? What % did it drop In value? You bought it new and its how many years old?

I don't mind sharing figures.

New it was a $21k bike in 2020. I bought it used, 1 year old for $15k privately. Owned it for 2.5 years, I got $8700 for it + $200 to deliver it.

Woof.