Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

slowspeedracer posted:

Success

I ended up using the clip style master link instead of making my own riveter but I am going to ride to the shop tomorrow and have them rivet the link for me. Even though the 620 Monster does not put out a lot of power, I would feel better about having the rivet link over the clip style.
content.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

People everywhere have been using clip style links without any issues. Do what you want but if you installed it correctly you will not have any troubles.

I sold one of my bikes today, my 2000 Honda VFR800FI. I'll miss the thing quite a bit. Of course I rode it before the guy came and picked it up, and I really forgot just how good that bike really is. To be honest there aren't many bikes that I haven't enjoyed riding at least on some level.

I also adjusted the shift lever on the Aprilia for the Buell footpegs that I tossed on the thing. I need to find some peg springs that fit this setup, I think I just need some Buell ones. Overall dropping the pegs just that 1" or so has really increased the comfort on the bike.

Also got the YZ250 ready to go for it's weekly ride out at THE DOONZ. Last week I decided to bump up to 40:1 with the premix and the bike seemed to be flooding at WOT, so I'm guessing at least for the weather I was running too rich at that mixture. I've tossed in another gallon at 24:1 to get my ratio in my gas can back down, and we'll see if that solves the problem. This is actually the first jetting issued I've had at all with the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

Quite the afternoon. Now to go look at the WR250's. :)

A post like this is exactly why the offroad riders that post in CA tend to be a bit anti big dualsport.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

List it for more than you are willing to take and negotiate down. That's how things work, people want to feel like they are getting a good deal.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

GREAT WHITE NORTH posted:

BMW rider who is NOT old and covered with photo-reflective fabric checking in. Today I cleaned the spark plugs on my 1978 BMW R60/6 and topped up the engine oil. Tomorrow I'm going to scrounge/beg around town for a new speedometer cable and oil filter. Might even do some other adjustments and clean the carbs if I'm feeling particularly spry. Also, I do wave at other riders.

Riding an old BMW - probably a hipster douchebag.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

*Owns $15,000 motorcycle*

*Buys tires not designed for the purpose to save a couple hundred bucks*

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

Please resume the thinly-veiled HD blanket party :)

I'm 1000% sure that regardless of the type of bike you ride if you say you want to ride with a car tire on it you'd get poo poo. Btw the rest of your "reasoning" is a bunch of crap anyway.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I gave it some more thought and I think I'm going to get a longer chain and run it across the top of the seat. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to remove the seat without lifting it, because of the grab rail, and the grab rail can't be removed without taking off the seat.

You realize that the odds of getting your seat stolen are slim as hell. Your odds of getting it stolen twice are probably near zero. Stop trying to chain your seat to your bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

I live in Baltimore. I'm only going through this because my last seat did get stolen. You think whatever crackhead took it is going to be a nice guy and not do it again because he feels bad for me?

I think the chances of it happening again are slim to none.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

This isn't a lightning strike we're talking about here, it's premeditated crime. There are guys that wander around my neighborhood looking for anything they can steal, so they can sell it for drugs. He knows he can steal my seat, and I'm sure will happily do it again if I don't secure it properly. Why would he just pass by free money?

Every motorcycle on the road has no seat? What about mirrors?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

Well every motorcycle on my road had its seat stolen, but mine's the only one so that's not a very good example. Pretty much every other motorcycle in the world has a lockable seat though. Do you think the manufacturers just make those because they're paranoid from staying up all night smoking meth?

I don't understand what you're trying to say though. Do you think I'm lying about having my seat stolen?

I'm saying that the odds that someone will steal your seat again are very slim. Pretty sure crackheads don't keep track of what motorcycle seats are easy to steal. Is that really a difficult concept?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

Removed my chain guard and cleaned the chain on my yellow SV650 for the first time since I bought it recently.

It used to be a dull gray shade. Winter and grime.

Marvelous.

Did you make sure you can't catch your pantlegs?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Sir.Tucker posted:

New Exhaust!

Went from nasty ugly mess 4-2, to Vance and Hines Supersport 4-1.

I hope you have some plan on jetting that thing in accurately - could be a bitch.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

pennywisdom posted:

Got a little package in the mail today.

What are you putting this on?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Unless you're racing you probably can get away without adjusting/checking valves until the bike actually becomes hard to start or runs poorly.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

Put my new steering bearings in and reassembled the stem. While I was lining it all up I went ahead and put on the bars and gaiters just to have a look.

Also, finished painting my rear wheel. Just need to hit it with a few coats of clear yet.

You gonna wear a ronald mcdonald outfit when you ride the thing?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I just noticed the terrible cafe bars on the bike as well. Whatever you're planning on doing please just stop now.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I can totally respect the amount of work it takes to make a custom looking bike. It looks like RR is spending a lot of time/money to make this bike unique. I just don't think some weirdly colored gold wing done as a cafe bike makes any sense whatsoever. I don't really think doing a cafe bike is really any more original or unique than doing a chopper. Turning a goldwing into a chopper would actually make more sense than turning one into a cafe bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ola posted:

Then DIY or STFU.

Let's not act like if this was getting turned into a chopper he wouldn't be getting poo poo. Remember when DILLIGAF had that silly Harley project? He got tons of poo poo for the stuff he did.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Because I ordered a closed chain, I had to completely drop the swingarm and suspension to fit it, but luckily BoJ is such a nice guy that he offered to help me. We were finished about 15 minutes before they were due at a local restaurant, so his wife was less than pleased with the fact that he was basically covered in copper paste, chain wax and other assorted grease and dirt.

Why would you do this?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Because the chain needed to be replaced.

Why not just buy a regular chain and connect it like everyone else does?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Re: Rotax/Ape oil changes - I just change the filter and drain the oil, I don't mess with the other stuff. Somewhere I read that the other poo poo flat out doesn't matter. It's probably just some poo poo they say to do so a dealer can charge you $100 for a change. They also seem to like Rotella T 15/40 just fine. Most people don't like using synth in them for some reason as well - something to do w/ clutch issues. You can also get oil filters off jakewilson for $5/piece I believe.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Be aware that street fightering most bikes pretty much torpedoes the value of the bike. Given the cost of the stuff you're looking at, it doesn't seem like it's going to save you much money in the long run. You'll have an especially hard time if you remove the factory gauges and have no documentation on the amount of miles for the bike. It may be more money now, but you will more than make up for it when / if you decide to sell the bike in the future.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

:suicide:

Dropped the radiator and crash bungs last night. This week I place this order, next week I place handlebar control order. Broke as gently caress.

That's really reasonable considering what you're replacing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Unless you do something really weird carbs don't clog in a couple months of gas sitting in them.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

True story. Gas doesn't go bad nearly that quickly.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'm under the impression that fresh-ish gas basically doesn't allow for water to condense into it when it's in an enclosed container. I emailed a 2 stroke oil manufacturer a while back about how long their premix stays good in gas. They basically said in a metal can you'd be fine with up to 1 year old.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Speed bleeders > mityvac.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

There is no reason to coat the inside of a tank if you keep gas that is at worst only a year old.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If it was ethanol free gas I'd be inclined to agree. However...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo

You aren't running a bunch of air over the gas in a gas tank. The fuel vapor should keep most condensation out - I don't think is is a very accurate simulation for what happens inside a gas tank.

In the situation where you have tried to get as much rust out as possible set your gas tank up to drain into a gas can. Then snag some of those cheap inline filters and fill up your tank / drain it running through the filters. I personally have never had trouble running the inline filters actually while I run the bike. But I would think if you run the gas through the inline filters a maybe 5-10 times. Then fill it up again and run it without the filters and see how it's looking. The gas tank on my old RD had a rusty / rough looking surface, but it never actually put any particles into the carbs. Use a coating as a method of last resort.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They stated specifically that it's not exactly the same thing as an automotive fuel tank. So the results aren't as extreme, but the point is that Ethanol Gas is more hydroscopic than regular gas. So it won't take a year for that gas to go bad, more like a month.

I do not believe it's anywhere near a month. I've started all sorts of gas powered stuff with ethanol gas that has been in the tank for many many months.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

And one day you will own a bike that isn't a boring piece of poo poo.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

1971 Yamaha R5 that I just wasted $$ for motocarrera pipes and rearsets. Also just swapped out my Falco for a 2000.5 RSVR. This was a terrible decision but the bike is so pretty and has ohlins bling.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Needle Jets?

On my mikunis the passages on needle jets are huge and probably really easy to clean if they did get a little varnish on them. It sounds to me like the bike needs new coils if they coils are out of spec.

edit:
KSS: You have weak spark and are fouling plugs because of it. Don't go loving with your carbs.

n8r fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 20, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You mean the needles right?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Does your bike have a poo poo ton of miles on it? I bet it takes a lot of miles for air to warp/shape needle jets. I'd wager pulling the carbs on your bike is a pain in the dick. Before you proceed with that I'd just toss on the new plugs you got and just visually check the spark quality by turning the bike over w/ the plug touching the block. If you aren't getting a nice fat spark w/ the new plugs I'd replace the coil. If your spark looks good then I'd look at the carbs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Did you try cleaning the fork seals first?
http://sealmate.net/

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I use fram filters and give no fucks about it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Just say it's for looks, don't make up poo poo about how useless mirrors are...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Just use ATF type F for the trans in the future...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This is a Stella/Vespa. ND30 is what the manual suggests and what everyone uses, though a few ambitious types are using ~80w gear oil instead.

ATF type F would work perfectly.