Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
So I've had an on and off issue with my brakes seizing up a bit since I bought my bike 2 weeks ago. Today they stuck on pretty hard and my engine breather was smoking pretty good as were my pads as I'm trying to make it home. At one point I noticed a very harsh jolt which I think (hope) was just a misfire but yeah, not fun. Get home say gently caress it these are getting swapped out and see this.

Oh joy. You cant see it in that picture but the other side has a screw based pad holder which wasnt being used for one of the pads. I think this may have caused the pad to wedge and make things even worse.

titanium fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Marv Hushman posted:

When it comes to the front brakes, assume the PO had the IQ and attention span of a hummingbird and you will never be disappointed. Probably stating the obvious, but this bike should be grounded until a full rebuild is done on the caliper(s), even if it's a season-ender. The rust alone is a sign that the entire system is probably jacked.

For sure. I dont have an air compressor so I cant pop the piston even though it looks like someone took a vice grips to yank it out before. I'd rather just get something cleaner so I've been hitting up local cheap xs's to see if they're willing to part out. Hopefully something will come up before the end of the season.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Got it yesterday, tried to find a spot for it in my expendable income box (garage)

Found out it was previously owned by a literal Illinois Nazi and instantly covered up any indicators.

Rode in to work my first time ever.

Tomorrow I'm going to take a non lovely picture of it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Not only is it a Japanese bike but its modded in a way that you'd spend quite a bit getting JDM parts to make it look like this. White supremacist that loves Japanese subculture!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
cleaned up some wiring and changed the oil.

poo poo looks pretty rough, hopefully thats break in chunks from the 230 kit that was installed.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Geirskogul posted:

The worst ENFIELDS don't look that bad on the first oil change, and the original engine pistons were fit by an Indian dude measuring pressure with his thumb. Holy cow

The weird part is that aside from not 100% perfect tuning it seems to run fine. Gas mileage isnt great but that might be part of the tuning. If its going to die hard I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. The guy did that 230 swap which makes me wonder if the previous setup exploded, the oil drain plug has a very strong magnet and the sift and magnet had nothing out of the ordinary attached. I'm hoping these are remnants of a previous failure and not an impending one.

Better view of the TW

Better view of the 510

My classified ad made it to Jalopnik last week but it's sold since.

titanium fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 4, 2011

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
This weekend I took out my carb and cleaned up the exterior of it. I then drove from shop to shop in town trying to convince them that a TK carb is stock on the TW200 and that the jet that they have probably wont fit till after 4 shops someone had one that threaded in correctly.

The bike has been stumbling when at WOT, popping a bit on decel, losing some power after running a while, and the plug is a bit white so everything points to a lean main jet. Hopefully going from 130 to 135 takes care of it.

I also just ordered these parts.

1 x Eco-LucNB-32 (NB-32) = 2,800yen
1 x Les Fender KitLucas (023090-01) = 5,800yen
1 x Fender FRP (420904) = 15,000yen
1 x Tandem Grip (023171-06) = 6,800yen

Ouch, my wallet. Some of those things are retarded expensive for what they are but at this point I'd rather just buy the part than dealing with some shop idiot who says he can make the part in a few days and ends up keeping the bike around for 3 weeks. Sigh, someday I'll have a workbench and cheap welder.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Got some new parts in, only one of them wont need some fabricating to fit. Cleaning up the tail light will be the perfect time to do some wire tucking.

Before

During

After

Still need to do a little clean up on the wires but after I got the tail hooked up I took it for a spin and I lost all day light.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Mockup mounted my new rear fender and installed the rear grip.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
My TW200 I purchased a while back had a 230 kit done on it. The guy that did it was literally a Nazi which I found out by the SS stickers hidden on it when it arrived to my house. Nazis think using a dremel to add a coolant passage and letting the metal shavings fall into the crank case is an okay thing to do. My engine still runs despite all that but I dont want to deal with a midseason breakdown and dont want to deal with rebuilding the engine before spring. I found another ridiculous TW200 for sale and have purchased that.

Most of my parts from my current TW200 will be going to the new one and I've started to remove them. A fresh 4k mile engine, unscraped body, and cleanly installed everything will be a nice reboot for my bike.

Fender (not actually installed just fitted in the pic), Tank, Risers, Bar, Seat, rear grip, light, and plate mount will all be moved to the new bike.

The new one

I now have 3 motorcycles and a scooter. I have a problem. Zuma, 2nd Gen SV650, and 2 silly TW200's. I'm so pumped for the summer.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

where are you finding these insane tw200s? or are they finding you? :psyduck:

I eye the tw200 forums often, I had been looking for a new engine for a bit and the only one I've seen that I'd trust is 1k. I figured since the exhaust is worth 500 and this one is much cleaner why not go for it. Buying one mostly done is wayyyyyy cheaper than piecing together. I'll swap the stuff I want onto this body and sell my old one.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Forty Two posted:

Is that a fleshlight in your exhaust?

Yeah I dont know wtf the lighting was doing there but its just a flat cap exhaust off one of those dumb stacking plate exhaust systems, maybe soot got cleared off of the plate odd or something. Its awful compared to how the BEAMS exhaust sounds.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Sir Cornelius posted:

That frame is ridiculously weak. I like the concept of the bike though.

It doesnt need to be strong, TW's are as easy going as I've ever ridden. It's nice to have the light frame on that tiny of an engine and for parking. *lift rear and tuck in*. My TW200 is for the city/right lane highway slow cruses/steez , SV650 for the highway fun/long rides.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
My TW200 showed up this Thursday, Minneapolis was 60 and sunny this morning so it was time to swap my parts over.

All of my 2 wheeled babies, forgot to drag the scooter out but thats just as well.

Lets swap some parts!

gently caress....ground wire from battery isnt important right?

Almost there.

Before

After

I still need to move over the front forks of my 06 TW200 (which has disc brakes) to the one I just got which is a 98. The flat bars will get moved over and I'm still debating getting a different light. The light on the new one is really nice but I dont like how much it sticks out.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Picked it up in St.Louis friday at 8:30am and arrived home in Minneapolis Saturday at 5 pm. Chickened out at 4pm on Friday when I hit a storm and didn't know how long it'd last thanks to no Verizon signal in Hannibal.

Triumph Street Triple by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

Cleaning bugs off it today.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Entered it into my favorite motorcycle show in Minneapolis and won "Best Japanese Bike"

And they gave this bad rear end as gently caress trophy.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

DSC_0268 by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

My TW200 won it.

Here's more photos from the show.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/datsun_wong/sets/72157630696760148/with/7622750342/

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
poo poo photo and not the end result but I removed all the exhaust from the Street Triple tonight. That Y pipe was designed to be a perfect pain in the rear end to remove.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Well I almost had a full blown meltdown today. Trying to get 3 piece non welded headers to go into the heads and then meet in the collector helped me teach all the neighborhood kids the F word.

Here's the frustrations I was having.

http://imgur.com/a/NqtRh

and thankfully after calming down, actually putting the top connector springs on the top of the header into the exhaust flanges I was able to finally wedge in the bottoms to the collector. It took about 20 mins of tapping the header pipes with a puck to get them deep enough to hook the springs up but I finally got her installed and leak tested. Finally.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

clutchpuck posted:

That's a pretty snazzy looking pipe. Is it a custom job?

Leo Vince GP Pro EVOII, I havent seen many Street triples with them. The triumph forums people seem to hate the bare look of them. They're a good chunk cheaper than the Arrow 3to1 full system and Leo Vince is a good company so I went for it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I found that all my chasing vibration gremlins came down to what I thought it was in the first place but was steered away from by a seemingly reputable forums poster.

If any of you have a Triumph 675 engine and have the cam chain clack even if only when its cold out and you just started the engine be sure to replace the CCT. It killed all mid range vibration I had and any clacking is gone. Finally I know what the hell people are talking about when they say how insanely smooth the triple's engine is.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

theperminator posted:

Been told by the dealer that mine is an exhaust leak, but did notice vibrations in the bars too but wasn't sure if that was normal or not.
Might check that out once I get my regulator replaced after it died on me again.

It's 100% the cam chain if it clacks ever on the right side also almost all my vibration was on the right side. Footpeg/bar.

They also told me mine was normal when it was at its worst which would make my hand feel numb and raw after a 1hr cruise. If they wont agree that its an issue do it yourself or just have them install either the Triumph one or the APE one. If you end up doing it make sure to warm up the bike first, my gasket was stuck on like loving glue and that might help. Also mind the long dowel that might stay in the cover, it holds the chain guide so be sure to put it on the case side and line up the guide again before adjusting.

You should really do this asap if you're having issues though, I did have some scaring on my crank case which from a case perspective doesnt matter but little tiny metal bits floating around arent cool. Now its so smooth I end up forgetting i'm in 4th gear at way higher rpm on the highway beause I hardly feel the engine in the bars/footpegs.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Took it to the last track day of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3FRpTKNEGw

I still have a lot to work on but I'm having a ton of fun learning.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Well....that might be why the 999 wasnt sliding into neutral smoothly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Finally got my TW200 back in action. All these carb symptoms I was trouble shooting and then I sucked it up and bought a $200 CDI made by some dude in Iowa.
Also decided to get rid of "Da Share Zone" dip on my front fender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

Question: How will people know how badass you are without the skulls?

They listen to that roaring 200cc engine of course!