Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Stared longingly at it because it's loving snowing again :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
All this happened yesterday, but I got my new (used) seat from Mr. FedEx. Some guy on the SOHC4 forums sold me a double-bucket touring seat for $50. It's in really good shape. After the seat that's currenty on my bike, it looks like gold. And I rode my motorcycle in a piss-down rainstorm, which would actually have been fun if it were warmer.

No more sitting on bare foam with chunks missing out of it :woop:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dolphin posted:

Put a new rear tire on and tubes in both wheels. Discovered that I managed to puncture the rear tire's tube, so removed it, patched it, and put it back in. Finished the wiring at the headlight case, attaching the high beam indicator, tachometer light, and neutral light. Discovered that someone managed to rip off the speedo light, so I'll have to get a new outlet for it and connect it.

I also managed to foul out the right spark plug while tuning my carburetor, so I'll have to grab a few tomorrow and finishing tuning it.

All of this on a 1970 Honda CL350. Parts are near impossible to find, if anyone has a good source for vintage Honda parts let me know.

Ebay, obviously. Also try https://www.z1enterprises.com, https://bikebandit.com, and you can find a host of vintage parts dealers on the FAQs page at SOHC4.net's forums.

e: also, I forgot www.denniskirk.com.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 26, 2009

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Thought I'd take off my sprocket/starter cover and clean off the neutral sending switch.

Uh oh, that's no way to start things off:

Luckily, all the other bolts came off easily. I've been meaning to get my hands on a SS bolt set anyway. Let's just pull off this cover, shall we?

JESUS loving CHRIST :gonk::gonk::gonk:

This thing was much bigger than it looks here, was probably the size of a 50 cent piece when alive. :barf:

I had to loving chisel the crap out of there. There was a large pile of oily dirt underneath the bike when I got done. I also had to chisel the rust/mud/oil off the inside of the case. Luckily I had a tiny bit of Engine Brite left over from last season and hosed down the inside of the case. Much better now:

Between the spider nests and the goo, it took me a good hour to clean all the crap out and replace the cover. That poo poo was probably older than many posters here.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm going to wait. The clearcoat on the aluminum has come off in spots, so I want to do a good strip/polish job. Might as well do it all at once.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This was Friday, but...I tried to replace my clutch cable. Tried, mind you. Is there some secret to this? The instructions in both my Haynes manual and the online shop manual both just say "oh, untighten these bolts and remove the cable." I untightned, but the cable will not budge at all. Now my clutch is kind of sticky, so I assume I need to tighten it back up some. The cable is original as far as I can tell and while it hasn't given me any trouble I thought it would be nice to replace it, being as it's 27 years old. Goddamnit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Both ends. I can go grab some pictures and post.

We are few and far between. Even Honda people don't know what I'm riding half the time.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Ok, went out and grabbed a couple of shots.

Here's the engine end of the cable. The rubber boot was actually intact until I tried pulling the cable out of the clamp that holds it.

The odd bracket that holds it in place. This thing is rock solid and doesn't give in any way, shape or form. How the gently caress do I slide the cable out of here once I get it out of the clamps? The tightening bolts don't allow it to slide far enough forward to just pull it out sidways, and certainly prevents it from being pulled through.

The lever end. I assume you're just supposed to slide the grommet on the end out through that notch, but it's stuck in there like a motherfucker and won't budge. Can't seem to get enough slack to work it out, even with the lever removed. And since I can't figure out how to get the engine-end off either I'm quite hosed. :arghfist::saddowns: Also, sorry about the blurriness.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Step 2: Remove cable from lever how? Just yank on the thing until it comes out? It's really jammed in there. Sorry to be so dumb, I just don't want to gently caress anything up and then have an unrideable bike (it's my only source of transportation).

Edit: Ok, progress. There was a little rubber sleeve that was preventing the lever end of the cable from coming out. I had to turn it until there was a gap the cable could move through.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 17, 2009

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Z3n posted:

The cable just sits in the adjuster. If there's crash damage or it's bent, you may have to pull the cable housing out from the lever to get it to seperate.

If you want to make life much, much easier, undo the nuts at the bottom and completely loosen the cable, and then you can remove it from the bottom, get all of the slack on the line, and it should just pop out from the top.

Bent? What's that you say?

So I have been moderately successful. The old nasty rusty gunky cable is laying in the driveway where I threw it to the ground and stomped on it several times while swearing. However, that cable adjuster is pretty hosed (I think it got bent in my lowside last November). I had to break off some of the smashed threading to get the cable out and I don't have a tap-and-die set to redo the mangled threads. Also I'm having a hell of a time getting the new cable into the clamp. I understand a snug fit for safety, but this thing's tighter than a 9 year old altar boy. I will keep trying and start calling around to see if anyone has the adjusters in stock :cry:.

In other more exciting news however, it turns out that I know the guy who is selling the Superhawks and the Yammy (small world) and he is setting aside the choicest bits for me. The Yammy is gone (sorry 8ender) so I'm getting a lovely blue Superhawk plus spares for the low low price of $100. I figure I have nothing to lose here, and either I will be very proficient at motorcycle mechanics when all is said and done, or I'll be able to sell of the parts and make a profit on Ebay.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bucephalus posted:

Holy poo poo. Problem identified.
Cable won't go into what clamp?

The one at the engine-side. It's a lil' c-looking thing with a notch to fit the cable into, then you pull out the slack and the nut at the end holds it in place. I'm afraid to try any sort of prying/leverage for fear of damaging the thing. Maybe, like the 9 year-old altar boys, I should try some lube.

I did find the parts # for the adjuster bolt, and a new OEM one is only about $9. So if I can't make this one fit back then at least I can pick up a replacement fairly cheaply.

Thanks CA for helping stupid people!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I've got that part. The actual little bracket on the bottom of the clutch housing itself is what's giving me trouble.

So, what did you do to your bike today? Brought it home! In pieces, lots of pieces. Almost enough pieces to build a 2nd bike. It was all going in the garbage if it wasn't taken. So I took it. Even setting spares aside for myself, I'll probably be able to finance a good portion of the resto with spare parts:

Rolling chassis:

Motor:

A buckit of spare parts and a rear fender:

Anudder buckit of spare parts and a seat and mufflers:

Still more loving spare parts. Those gauges are off a later year, maybe a 67 or 68 I think:

A complete crank (the pushrods are hanging down out of sight), plus an entire set of black front forks:

2nd tank, in much better shape than the first, I believe it's the companion to the red rear fender:

Spare cam:

Closeups of the gauges:

Extreeeeme closeup of a gauge. I think the other one has 10k on it:

It's going to take me days to sort through this stuff. I don't even know what some of it is. I hid it in the greenery to keep naughty people away until I can get the crates and poo poo into the basement. I'll leave the chassis and engine outside for now. The black/red stuff is in much better condition than the blue. That paint is rusty and coming off in chunks. I'll probably switch out the black/red for the blue and then blast that stuff and keep it as spares. O Lord, what have I gotten myself into?

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 18, 2009

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
:toot: Success! Clutch cable has successfully been reinstalled on the 650. A short break to rest and then it's "haul all that poo poo into the basement" time. Thanks everyone!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I've ordered a copy of the manual from the internets and found a website with a forum that specializes in the 305. Either tonight or tomorrow (depending on how tired I am), I am going down into the basement where I just hauled all those goddamn parts and sorting through everything to see what I've got. I've decided to take tomorrow off. For now I will just separate poo poo into piles; these are engine parts, these are electrical parts, idon'tknowwhatthefucktheseare parts. That should at least give me a good gauge of what I have, what I should keep as a spare, and what I can sell.

This will be a slow and painful process. I didn't feel like I could pass up that whole lot for $100, but new stuff for missing pieces will come bit by bit. I R po'. I do have 2 whole sets of carbs, and a single lonely one that was lovingly stored in bubble wrap. I think I'll start with those since they are small and I have stuff to clean them with.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I took the cover off mine. The 650's were notorious for breathing problems. Being at 4,000 feet means you need every available atom of oxygen, never mind what happens when I go for canyon rides. Just take off the plastic cover and use big washers to hold the filter in place.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure it is, mine looks just like that. :downsgun:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
You should explain that to them. Might light a fire under their asses.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Get a girl to ride on the back; it'll work better than spanish fly :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I went and rode it in the gay pride parade in a piss-down rainstorm. I was going to clean it all up but now I'm glad I didn't. At one point I was pretty much riding completely blind because the rain was coming down so hard and I'd stored my helmet in a truck. Good thing we were only going about 2 miles an hour.

I saw a purple '91 GS550 (I think), 2 Harleys, 2 scooters and a '70 Honda CL350. Normally there's about 20 bieks w/dykes but today we were the only ones brave enough. :patriot:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I was out running some errands, and I've needed some new grips. There's a Ducati dealership not far from where I was so I decided to stop by and see if they had anything cheap. They did. All those pretty bikes, though... :cry: As if the new 1100 Classico's weren't hot enough, they also had 5 Bimotas, including a DB5 in red, green and white. :shlick:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fantastipotamus posted:

Yeah, though bleeding brakes scares me a bit.

It shouldn't. I'm a goddamn retard and I bled my brakes just fine. There's a really easy-to-follow walkthrough on https://www.sohc4.net in the FAQs. Should work on any bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Well, I'm trying to get my forks off but the goddamn retaining bolt is 6mm hex and I can't find my 6mm hex wrench :mad: