Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Hand guards and brush guards for the DERZ, cleaned my chains.

Said Hi after being gone for just over two weeks. Hoping for clear weather tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I decided it's days are numbered and will soon be a Ducati.

Note: Don't go ride an 1198. It'll gently caress your whole perception of motorcycles up.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I painstakingly cleaned every spoke on my DRZ wheels and tried to reach every bit of grime I could on the engine and hard to reach bits. I don't know why. I'm just going to plow through the next big puddle or dirt field I find anyway.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

^^ raise hell ^^

(yesterday) and today is getting the bikes ready for the track day. Just a few more finishing touches before its brraap brraap on Saturday.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

I still haven't decided between dirt bike, Supermoto track bike, and Supermoto street bike. with him.

Still argue: Start with the awesome street bike. The most fun on a day to day basis. You can use it on the track too! It's only expensive if you crash. And not even that expensive really.

Then buy cheap rear end dirt bike. Your going to destroy your first dirt bike crashing a gazillion times anyway.

Then if you get real and truly addicted to offroad and SM racing/trackdays, spend the 3-4 grand it takes to get a good offroad/SM bike. It'll never be as good on the street as a 610, which is 90% of your riding.

Zool posted:

Spiffness keeps trying to convince me to get a Husky 610SM so I can get arrested with him.

Let's do half of this.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

the letter b posted:

Sweet barbwire tat!

I kid. Welcome to the sumo-club. Should crosspost yourself into the sumo-thread.

DRz's are so much fun. Start modding and find yourself a local sumo track day. It'll change your life.

EDIT: Sumo sumo sumo

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Parked it snugly for the next 2 and a half weeks while I do some traveling. :(

Looking forward to that first return ride rush though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You lock up the rear, slide it out to the left, then whip to the right, power sliding to a stop and kick the kickstand down as the bike naturally settles and hop off the bike.

Supermoto dismount

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

bung posted:

I needed new front rotors and a new main wiring harness.

May I ask why?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Took it for a ride and apparently lost my license plate while being a supermoto hooligan in the backstreets going for a leisurely ride.

Dammit.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Screw plastics, I'd run it just like that. Get out of my way because I just don't give a gently caress.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

I found race tires for $100 a set, and ordered 4 sets.

Oh god, time to build a tire rack in the garage.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tonight I discovered/Remembered that the KTM has an adjustable fuel mapping switch, so after pulling off the seat I discovered it was on mode 0, which means 'poor fuel'. I changed it to mode 2, which is labeled in the KTM manual as 'advanced' and referred to on forums as 'race'. Interested in seeing what the Katoom is like when it doesn't think it's burning fuel from kazakhstan.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

bung posted:

I finally got to ride my bike after recovering from my vasectomy. I discovered that the front brakes are still hosed up making all kinds of noise. It's been in the shop 3 times for a total of 7.5 weeks for this problem. Time to start the lemon law process. :smith:

Hyperslowtard?

Aint that a bitch

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Scrubbed all the grime off my plastics in the bathtub.

..not weird..

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Put it back together, rolled it out of the living room, and wheelied the crap out of it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A few hundred miles exploring Washingtons winding coastal roads and random offshoots, along this general route (HW 112)

And maybe one or two of these. It's so nice to have the sun back.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Got a new set of tires mounted on the SF, got the suspension all tuned in for my weight/size, got various nuts and bolts replaced or tightened where they've made a run for freedom.

Talked at length about tuning possibilities of different ECU's and setups for my duc. Oh my. Probably shouldn't have had that conversation. Took out another streetfighter that had a really nice PC3 tune done to it, then went to the dyno and looked at about 3 dozen different tunes for SF's and 1098's and all the results.

That's gunna hurt the wallet in the future...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Took the KTM to the doctors for an electrical gremlin. Sat on an RC8R, 990 SuperDuke, 690 Duke. Fell in love many times over.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Supermotos: What traffic? The sidewalks/parking lot/yard are wide open.

Did this again last night. Not thinking I headed out during the minor traffic we get and instead of sitting there I lane split, rode the sidewalk and cut through parking lots.

The sickness begins when you start cutting through parks.

\/\/\/--- School grounds yes. Hallways no. Cut through a warehouse once.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 9, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The KTM's are home. I celebrated by riding the wheels off mine while running some errands. Oh man. So good to be back.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Clutch on the Ducati was just too quiet so naturally I installed an open cover today. Ah yes. Problem solved.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Imagined myself going for a ride. Stupid work.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

On Saturday I took my Husqvarna to the Supermoto track where I overshot a landing, knocked the wind out of myself, hurt my back, and bent the front wheel into a shape that I would not describe as a circle.

It's not entirely unlike a circle. It's just... bent in the middle. Bent in the English way.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

rode through a nasty downpour and sidewind. Going across the bridge home from work today I was getting sprayed with ocean water that was smashing up against the side. Laughing the whole way. God I love motorcycles.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Came out of the bank to find it's sexy Italian body laying on it's side.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Damage is minimal. But it's Italian damage. So it still hurts the pocket book.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

Which is why supermotos are great, nobody even knows what to make of it other than "is that funny looking thing legal?".

Due to the habit of supermotos only having traction on any one wheel at any given time, often they are not street legal.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I like that a lot.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

Soon every day will be wheelie day. I do 90mph wheelies in downtown sf past night clubs at 1 AM.

:swoon:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This is going to look spectacular.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sharp_angus posted:

Why was the hub not done in split black/orange as well? Or would that just look silly?

Not a lot of opportunity to see the hub when it's actually on the bike, but honestly I'm not sure thats much of an aesthetic advantage having it two tone as well. These wheels make me weak at the knees. Plus they are tubeless and I'll have a 2nd set of wheels for the track.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Strapped it to the Dyno, 130.2 HP, 72.9 torque at the wheel SAE for the Streetfighter. Exactly where it should be VS a 1098 with it's stock intakes. Very happy.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Came to appreciate the L twin Ducati power band again...

Then finally installed front turn signals after the PO decided to snip and destroy them, then replaced the clutch springs with fancy stainless ones that wont rust in the open cover. Poser status = Getting there.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sold the DRZ today!

Cold hard cash. Delicious. Plus now there's room in the garage to loving move around; or fill with dirt bikes. I haven't really decided.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Mounted up the new Bi-Color KTM wheel to the 690.

God mounting those front tires is a bitch. The massive brake rotor and huge Brembo caliper leave you less than no space to get the wheel on. After about 40 minutes of attempting (for the 2nd time) to get the wheel back on, I cheesed out and unscrewed the brake rotor, slid the wheel on, the axle through and then reattached the rotor to the wheel. That had it done in like 2 minutes. Guess I'm doing that from now on.

Seriously though, the clearance on the front wheel for this thing is stupid. So there's a supermoto buying hot tip; buy a DRZ because the front brake is lovely and really easy to get back in place when you change a tire. Don't buy a KTM because the front brake is huge and a massive pain in the rear end.

It does look loving aces now though, god drat do I love me some half orange wheels.

Also the new slicks I'm running as a street tire sure are going to be interesting in the rain.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Looking at this reminds me I need to put my axle slider back on...

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 26, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

:haw:

You joke but in the height of my swearing one of the solutions I was considering was going to a machine shop and turning my 320MM rotor into a 319MM rotor...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Mucklestone. Accept no substitutes.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gave the KTM some much needed attention, new rear tire to match the new front, new pads up front, bled the brakes, and cleaned the every loving crap out of the chain. Tomorrow it gets a good scrub, gets track prepped, taped, double checked and packed for another big weekend.

I can't wait.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Life doesn't get much better than having a ducati/KTM hybrid in your garage.

This is all kinds of inspiring to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

Just don't swap the open clutch cover onto the KTM anywhere near my tires.

You're tires are always flat anyway