Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
the best fighter in the word, taking up his most magical sword, misses 5% of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

opaopa13 posted:

But along the way he also discovers that he is very much interested in studying battle tactics, and so takes up with a warlord for a while to study battle strategies.

Does he believe that you need to be of a specific character class in order to plan? If so, which class would that be?

I'm not seeing how 3e would have solved this conundrum of his.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
But you see, a character can't have been formerly a thing unless it currently affects his gameplay mechanics! Honestly, if I were going for "sorcerous past now a monk but also a warlord" I would be a Monk, get ST: Arcana, and multi into Warlord.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

LightWarden posted:

Does he believe that you need to be of a specific character class in order to plan? If so, which class would that be?

I'm not seeing how 3e would have solved this conundrum of his.

Fighters plan for the immediate battle. Paladins do the overall campaign and wizards offer magical advice on this.

Rangers would naturally take charge in mountains while druids for the woods. Rogues would be incharge of all city planning.

Monks would be coaches of all dueling affairs, aswell as most social encounters.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The General posted:

Fighters plan for the immediate battle. Paladins do the overall campaign and wizards offer magical advice on this.

Rangers would naturally take charge in mountains while druids for the woods. Rogues would be incharge of all city planning.

Monks would be coaches of all dueling affairs, aswell as most social encounters.

Bullshit! In social encounters, the monk's job is to sit back and look inscrutable.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PeterWeller posted:

Bullshit! In social encounters, the monk's job is to sit back and look inscrutable.

Also to confound and entertain others with zen musings.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Drox posted:

Also to confound and entertain others with zen musings.

He should also strive to spend an hour or two every day sitting on a rock or examining a pebble. Bonus RP XP for lotus position.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
I love how grognards insisting on their right to play weird and often ridiculous character concepts still can't imagine a monk that's not Bruce Lee combined with the Dalai Lama.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Pieces of Peace posted:

I love how grognards insisting on their right to play weird and often ridiculous character concepts still can't imagine a monk that's not Bruce Lee combined with the Dalai Lama.

To be fair though D&D Monks pretty much always are in some way like that, I mean you can be different KINDS of Bruce Lee and all but all in all you're still the wise and ponderous guy who just kickflipped off a bar stool to plant his heel in the skull of someone.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

All my monks are david carridine.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

The General posted:

All my monks are david carridine.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

opaopa13 posted:

Enjoy!

This review feels a lot like a summer movie blockbuster sequel to me. A whole lot more flash and even less substance than its predecessor. More than that, though, this doesn't move gaming journalism forward at all. There isn't anything quite in-depth, or new or daring. In fact, mister Wick himself has become... what's the right word?

Oh, yeah. Bland.

:smug:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Relentless posted:

Am I allowed to agree with the oatmeal rant if I think it's a good thing?

You're allowed to agree with anything. The defining trait of grognards isn't that they don't like 4e, it isn't even always that their opinions are wrong, it's their hilariously overlong and histrionic screeds about the severe crimes committed against the purity of gaming by (new thing).

Like, I'd agree that it's a flaw that you can't really "change careers" mechanically in 4e if your character decided he wanted to. That's something you might find yourself wanting to do; the best you can do is dabble in another class. IMO it's a flaw, but it really doesn't justify having an angry rhetorical debate with imagined counter-arguments.

Pangalin
Aug 11, 2007

Grown men are talking.

http://rpgdiehard.blogspot.com/ posted:

Just a quick note: I attended the American Library Association annual conference in Chicago last weekend. The theme of the event (believe it or not) was gaming and how libraries can foster game clubs. As such, Wizards of the Coast had a large booth where they pimped their Magic: The Gathering and D&D novel tie-ins. I dropped by and struck up a conversation with one of the WOTC staffers, who is apparently is an art director and worked on 4e a little bit.

This staffer asked me if I had tried 4e yet, and I responded that no, I hadn't, but that I played D&D regularly via some of the free retro-clone games available on the net. I made sure to slowly and carefully pronounce their titles: "OSRIC" and "Swords & Wizardry."

It's not often you get to speak truth to power, but when you do, it's simply sublime.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Pangalin posted:

So he mumbled something like that and the guy looked a bit confused but smiled and nodded out of politeness, and then he shuffled away.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

So he mumbled something like that and the guy looked a bit confused but smiled and nodded out of politeness, and then he shuffled away.

WotC spending time and money on helping children's literacy? Well I'll show them!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

quote:

It's not often you get to speak truth to power, but when you do, it's simply sublime.

you see it was just like that part in braveheart

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pangalin posted:

I think the worst thing is he didn't even think to make a "4th edition? It'd fit perfectly for our reading program...to pre-schoolers" ice-burn.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
He sure showed that dude who works in the gaming industry that there are other games out there people play besides the one he makes!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
What gently caress? Truth to power? He's a sales rep and writer you loving mouthbreather not Gargamel or Hitler :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pangalin posted:

You just know this guy was smug as gently caress for at least an hour afterwards.

"Have you played the new Dungeons and Dragons, sir?"
"No...I only play good games. :smug: Good day, sir."

Then he turned on his heel, put on his sunglasses, and strutted away, leaving the WotC guy devastated in his wake.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Pieces of Peace posted:

I won't let someone play a monk in my FR campaign unless he comes from far off Kara Tur and is trying to avenge his clan/father/friend from summer camp.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I've played 2E back in the day. I've read into 3.5E and it's an evolved version.

4E?... a mutation. Just my opinion.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Seftir posted:

I've played 2E back in the day. I've read into 3.5E and it's an evolved version.

4E?... a mutation. Just my opinion.

So, 4E = homo-superior?

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Seftir posted:

Felonius posted:

Character motivations? Pffft, who gives a crap? When's my next encounter, and how many healing surges to I have left?

My players fall into this category and it's so much goddamn fun

Same here. My group spent literally a year trying to find a good tactical combat game, occasionally moving into RPGs because we felt they might work better but realizing we didn't want to roleplay. Finally it occured to us that we could just play D&D premade campaigns and skip the roleplaying.

"There's a town in front of you guys."
"We go inside."
"Alright there's a lot of buildings and almost none of them are important."
"Is there an inn?"
"Yeah of course there's an inn, this is D&D."
"We go into the inn!"
"Alright cool there's a bunch of faceless NPCs and a few guys with golden question marks floating above their heads."
"We click frantically to accept them and don't bother to read the quest text."
"As you click you see that apparently there's some orcs or goblins or kobolds or something that are marauding. They're all hiding out by a waterfall, give me a minute to set up the map!"

I sort of want to record one of our sessions and post it just to make grognards hate us :3:

ZorbaTHut fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 18, 2009

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

ZorbaTHut posted:

I sort of want to record one of our sessions and post it just to make grognards hate us :3:

i love you

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

ZorbaTHut posted:

YESSSS

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

ZorbaTHut posted:

I can't stand WOW. . .

But that was awesome.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ZorbaTHut posted:

Same here. My group spent literally a year trying to find a good tactical combat game, occasionally moving into RPGs because we felt they might work better but realizing we didn't want to roleplay. Finally it occured to us that we could just play D&D premade campaigns and skip the roleplaying.

"There's a town in front of you guys."
"We go inside."
"Alright there's a lot of buildings and almost none of them are important."
"Is there an inn?"
"Yeah of course there's an inn, this is D&D."
"We go into the inn!"
"Alright cool there's a bunch of faceless NPCs and a few guys with golden question marks floating above their heads."
"We click frantically to accept them and don't bother to read the quest text."
"As you click you see that apparently there's some orcs or goblins or kobolds or something that are marauding. They're all hiding out by a waterfall, give me a minute to set up the map!"

So your group is filled with 12 year olds?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The General posted:

whoa ho ho wacky

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

The General posted:

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

what the hell brennon

The General
Mar 4, 2007

brennon posted:

I didn't get it last time, and I don't get it this time. What's up with that?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

well he is wearing a lot of diapers

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

The General posted:

We figured out what we wanted in a game, and found a game that - with a small amount of tinkering - provided it. If that makes us 12-year-olds, then I guess we're 12-year-olds :v:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Seftir posted:

well he is wearing a lot of diapers

and you would think he could not fart through that many layers of diapers

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ZorbaTHut posted:

We figured out what we wanted in a game, and found a game that - with a small amount of tinkering - provided it. If that makes us 12-year-olds, then I guess we're 12-year-olds :v:

I have to agree, I'd definitely rather be with the twelve year olds than at the general's table.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

I have to agree, I'd definitely rather be with the twelve year olds than at the general's table.

My table is loving awesome. Sorry to hear you can't handle awesome.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Being able to fart through so many diapers is awesome, for certain values of "awesome". I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

FMguru posted:

Being able to fart through so many diapers is awesome, for certain values of "awesome". I guess.

But not as awesome as a day of nice, uncomplicated asskicking.