Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

quote:

As far as the [Forgotten Realms] novels go, I vote they should be canon. I mean whats the point of even reading it if it didnt "really" happen?

quote:

Why not read them for the sake of reading them? Why not read them for the same reason you'd pick up any other book - because you think you'd enjoy the story?

quote:

I do not read these other books. I let them on the shelves in the book stores for that very reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

Triple health at first level? Spells overpowered. Removal of practically everything that made D&D more original, such as tearing down the blood war between Demons and Devils, dumbing down the intelligence of dragons, and reducing everything to nothing more than the PC's punching bag.
4e made spellcasters too powerful.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Another tale from Darren's campaign. Again, my LE Gray Elven MU with an Intelligence of 19 and an Eye in the back of his head is adventuring with his sister, the Crazy CE Elven Fighter and Leon, the also Evil half-orc Cleric/Thief. Our army of humanoids, which we had raised at the behest of the Shadowlord, but already decided to keep for ourselves, is engaged in battle with another army, led by some good aligned NPC's. I have a magical staff, which, amongst other things, casts Volley, 1/day. I've never used it.

I don't recall exactly how Darren described the scene, but it was in a mountainous area and remembering it, I always picture a red sky. One of the NPC's is a Magic-User and he's standing on a ledge, a little ways up a mountain. This enemy Magic-User, who's wearing black robes in my memory of the imagined scene, begins casting a spell and he's looking straight at me, with Righteous Vengeance all over his face. I activate the Volley.

His spell goes off and hits my Volley, rebounding back upon him. He makes his Save. It bounces back and I make mine! The tension is palpable! The unknown spell rebounds, back towards its originator and again, he Saves! Holy poo poo! I just know this is probably something bad-rear end and I'm about to Die! I roll my d20 and make my second Saving Throw! The spell hurtles back towards the NPC Magic-User and this time, he Fails! The "Hero" NPC Magic-User, then Disintegrates! gently caress! I've just won my first MU vs. MU Duel! And made two Save or Die Saving Throws in a row to do it!

All in all, it was one of the most intense gaming sessions, I've ever experienced. And extremely gratifying. Making those two Saves and then having that goody-two-shoes bastard turn to dust was absolutely awesome! The thrill of Victory and the relief I felt when my Character survived to wreak havoc another day, was incredibly Sweet! And everything D&D combat promises to deliver!

I made the Save in Save or Die twice! I would have gladly sent 3d4 other characters to the Save or Die Graveyard, for that awesome moment of victory!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
We enter into a major battle with the Shadowlord, our ex-employer. First thing I do, is cast Haste on the whole party. Round two - something occurs to me, which I've never thought of before.

"Darren, what would happen if I cast haste on the party again?"

Darren thinks for a second. "You know it would work, but you're not sure what the stress from a double haste would do to someone."

"Ok. I'm casting Haste, but not on me. Just them." What the hell. I'm evil and curious. Leon throws me a rather comical "What the gently caress?" look. Rachel laughs.

After a round of triple attacks from my party members, the Shadowlord casts a Slow spell, bringing them back down to single Haste speed. Darren tells me later, that their hearts would have burst in 1d4 rounds, if not for our opponent counteracting the second spell. If he had rolled well, from our perspective, that would have been plenty of time to wipe out our foe, with that many attacks coming from our ranks. No problem, though. We defeat the Shadowlord, rather decisively, anyway.

I don't exactly consider it a problem, but I am tempted to borrow from Osric and rule that the spell ages the recipient by two years, instead of just one. I'd still let the players reverse the aging, eventually. But it might make them think twice before casting it.

Hah! No it wouldn't!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'm in the middle of my first cold of the season and it's keeping me from the work I'd like to be doing. Instead, I'm nursing a strange obsession that I can't seem to satisfy. I'm hoping somebody out there might be able to help. It's a long shot, but here goes:

I have had a pad of a certain brand of graph paper for more than twenty years. Many of my earliest maps were drawn out on this type of paper (my version of Ashabenford being one of them) and it has served me well. The problem is that I'm just about out. For pure nostalgia's sake, I would love to get my hands on another tablet of the stuff. Unfortunately, the few pieces I have remaining have no brand identification marks and I have no idea where I bought the stuff back in '80-something. My search online has turned up nothing as I have little to work with.

I've attached a few photos below of the paper. It is double-sided with 10 squares to the inch on one side and 20 squares to the inch on the other. It features a .75 inch margin around its long edges and a .5 inch one at top and bottom. I have only seen one other person with this stuff in my life, and they too bought it a long time ago. The manufacturer might be long gone, but if it's not, I'm hoping that someone out there can either recognize it by sight or has their own stock of the stuff with a brand name still on it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
3.5's monsters were imbalanced though, the immunity to sneak attack screwed the rogues, some of them had spell resistance (screwing over any wizards who tried to role play by taking non-blaster spells) but they all had hit points. In conclusion, fighters are overpowered.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

A responsible decision on the part of Enworld moderators.

Anyone who tries to justify rape is a very bad man and should be censured.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
You can tell it's not grogs - one of the fighter talents is being hot. I love the goblin abilities. The combination of Heart of Gold (look utterly adorable!) and Cast-Iron Stomach (big pointy sharp teeth) brings to mind those little aliens from Galaxy Quest.

Zone-based combat (actually, all the combat) and the multiclassing rules ("you can take half your talents from any class, but if someone's playing it you have to ask their permission") are pretty neat. I should play this some time.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Here's me taking off my mod's hat and hypothesizing out of whole cloth.

5E annoucement was planned and ready to go as an Apple-style "And one more thing..." button to the Sat product seminar. 5E is going to be a minis-based skirmish game, sold in non-random packs, with optional rules for leveling up your minis through repeated play. It will go one sale at GenCon 2012. Someone decides at the last moment that whatever they're doing doesn't need a year's leadup, and they want to save the big annoucement for D&D Experience in Feb 2012, where they can manage the whole marketing rollout of the new edition and do a better job of manging customer reaction over six months rather than a year. (As well as keeping sales up for the handful of 4E products it has just announced.)

I'm sure this is incorrect on particluars (5E may be a more traditional RPG, but I doubt it), but based on what I know of marketing people and business, it wouldn't surprise me if this is close to what went down.

Before I put my stylish mod's hat back on (complete with rakish feather), remember that I know nothing more than any of you do. However, I was fully expecting a 5E annoucement, and when it didn't come, I figured I was just plain wrong. This makes a lot more sense to me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
On the contrary, I would argue that engaging in an activity where you are actually developing a skill (such as pretending to be somebody having an adventure in a world of magic) is innately useful, since you are developing a skill. The only skills I could develop while reading a book would be speed-reading, reading comprehension and literary analysis, none of which I have any interest in developing further.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

The Question: Who is the god of bakers in Golarion?

My Answer: Abadar, who's the god of banking and civilization. Bread is a nickname for money and all cities require bakeries to function.

Why this is vaguely unsatisfying: Why should a CG character have to worship a LN god to pursue his passion?

I then came across a related question when a friend had her washing machine die and she was planning to make a shrine to St. Jude on the new one which couldn't be installed yet due to rusty pipe, and I started wondering which Catholic saint presided over washing machines or laundry in general. I guessed it might be St. Veronica, who had the miraculous veil which she used as a towel, but I of course went to look it up and I found there were no less than five Catholic saints in charge of laundresses. St. Veronica was only one, and she split her duties by also taking care of photographers, but while St. Martha, St. Lawrence, and St. Clare of Assisi all had laundry lists of professions who could pray to them, only St. Hunna showed the dedication to be the Holy Washerwoman and only preside over laundresses.

I'm thinking it must be a similar situation with the gods in Golarion. Abadar is the god of bread and breadmakers insomuch as bread is part of civilization and commerce. Urgathoa can probably claim some baking duties as well as goddess of feasting and the whole "I'll grind his bones to make my bread" shtick. Even Calistria probably likes honeycakes and blesses anyone who makes them. But beyond that there's probably a whole host of minor saints, blessed spirits, and whatnot that aren't mentioned for lack of space. For example, if I say that there's Bonegrinder the breadmaking ogre who's part of Urgathoa's extended entourage, it makes logical sense, and moreover would be a great patron for a CE baker, assuming I wanted to have one.
Don't worship the god of baking? Sorry, you can't be the baker.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

I can tell who does and does not have a professional military background by who wants "direct fire drones". Certainly, that makes for simpler rules. It also so totally changes the tactics that it's not two games but two universes. Seeking weapons influence enemy maneuvers. Direct fire weapons do not. It's that complex and that simple.

quote:

Our games are successful BECAUSE they are based on our professional military backgrounds. Seeking weapons do different things than direct fire weapons, influence things different ways, and to only have one type is producing ... not a good game. The best games ARE based on precise military simulations. Otherwise we might as well just play poker instead.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Oh hey, a Pathfinder thread about whether Bards suck or not. I wonder what--

quote:

In our upcoming Way of the Yakuza for Kaidan, we've got a blind bard called a Moso. Although moso are indeed blind, not being able to read scrolls or other types of magic that require readiing, they have an acute sense of hearing, granting them able to tell friend from foe within 20' of them. (Which increases by 5' every 4 levels) and suffer no penalties in melee combat. (If someone successfully makes a stealth check, the moso doen't notice them).

A moso performance skills include: Ward (a protection from evil to listeners), Counterfear (replaces fascinate), Song of life - damages undead, Dismissal (as spell), Soothing performance gets bumped up to 18th.

Interesting build, and better off than a blind oracle.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
So I was googling SFB stuff, because Gau's thread got me interested, and I came across... I don't even know. Someone's million-page houseruled AD&D with everything from OD&D to 3.5 thrown in, including the Diablo sourcebook. Classes like "Anti-Barbarian" (they roll d100 for attacks and saves?), "Amulet Destroyer", "Admiral (SFB)" and "Psi27", "Another Synnibarr psionic frequency, based on Raven c.s. McCracken's Ultimate Adventurer's Guide (The Book of Fate)." There's an Alignment class you can multiclass into which lets you gain multiple alignments. There's professional wrestling.

I'd think it was a joke, but it's very, very long, and running into weirdly houseruled AD&D is pretty easy online. The terrifying thing is that scrolling down the list of classes, there's a group labelled as joke classes... with five entries, none of which I've mentioned in this post. I just right-clicked and saved the link to the complete file to see how big the whole thing is, and it's 19MB in plain html.

:psyduck:

Edit: I should say I love this kind of thing. It's why I'm usually disappointed by the OSR types' houseruling and campaign rules. They're just... dull. What's the point of writing up a bunch of D&D stuff that you've been accumulating for decades if it's as boring as that Tao of D&D guy? This is far more interesting.

quote:

I use literally Everything in Print, which means if it has appeared in any AD&D or D&D product anywhere, you can use it. For example, you can be a 2nd edition Athasian Half-Dwarf race using the 1st edition Dragonlance Knight of the Rose class. Both Rangers exist, and are seperate classes (Ranger1 and Ranger2, the number indicating edition). Both Bards similarly exist, plus the "Not So Hard" Bard from Dragon Magazine, and the Athasian Bard as well.

quote:

One of the side effects of doing "Everything in Print" is that we end up with three different Psionic rule sets. 1st edition, 2nd edition, and 3rd edition psionics all exist. They operate on different "frequencies" so each is considered non-psionic to the other. (This is very reminiscent of two Tournament Tholians fighting in the Star Fleet Battles game.)

Thus, a 1st edition Id Insinuation does nothing to a 2nd edition psionic character (as it affects only "psionic creatures", which means "1st edition psionic creatures"), unless the 2nd edition psionic happens to ALSO have 1st edition psionics. I don't have any problems with a character using several psionic frequencies at once, see rules [P2] and [Q0] for rules on what is required of such a character.

Once you have psionic frequencies 1, 2, and 3, the (obvious) question is: Are there any more? My answer is "yes", and I've added about 30 more psionic frequencies, each with their own rules set. Thus, a character could be trained in frequencies 4, 7, and 14, for example. Details on the other psionic frequencies may be found in the [Q] rules.

Some of the less-boring OSR people have started a group like this, with pick-up games allowing characters from any edition of D&D or other RPG, converted on the spot to whatever the DM's running. That's far more interesting (and less groggy) than yet another retroclone or another attempt to reconcile proper Gygaxian disease frequencies with monster ecologies.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Chaotic Neutral posted:

I don't even know what this is supposed to be.

I don't even know if that is a thing that can ever make sense.

quote:

{Random} Owl, Space
Shell 5: Anti-Concordant Shell (0th-5th)
1M: Turn off all specialty priest abilities on target for 1 turn
NF, may borrow: Counter a level N Concordant ability.

{Random} My Little Pony
Legendary [Ability Score]: Single ability score doubled
Time/Reality/Loop Stable
Abilities as per Anti-Druid of half level

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Gau posted:

Oh, God, Smileylich. It's not a joke. This guy was infamous in the SFB community for being the biggest, nicest, most fervent fan of SFB. He house-rules EVERYTHING. He loves his house rules.

He sounds like the perfect gamer.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Any creatures with banding, and up to one without, can attack in a band. Bands are blocked as a group. If any creatures with banding you control are blocking or being blocked by a creature, you divide that creature's combat damage, not its controller, among any of the creatures it's being blocked by or is blocking.

Banding sucked, but when I started I don't think I ever saw a rulebook for the game, just a quickstart leaflet or microscopic booklet or something. I didn't play that long, blue players beat me up and stole my lunch money.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

Iron Eagles II is a Justice Heroes supergroup. Following common naming convention of kings and other successors, we added a roman numeral to the end to denote this is the 2nd one.

If all the members die at once, they delete the group and form a new one.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

And Larry Elmore was one of the best D&D artists of all time. :colbert:
Elmore is as bad as every terrible US-published fantasy trilogy's cover artist, ever.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Really this whole thread underscores the inherent I hate sites that turn censored text into smiliestery of the Munchkin, who wants the BROADEST definition when it serves their purposes and the NARROWEST definition when it does not.

The Assassin cannot be good. It's written, plain as day. Nothing about them changing alignments, it states as written in stone by God above "No Assassin can have a good alignment". Not "Assassins can have a change of heart". Not "Assassins can have a good alignment if they put on an alignment changing item". Not "Special exceptions can change allow my assassin to be Good and still practice his craft". Not "Magic makes me a rather polite and prim and generous and kind Assassin".

This is why there are no ex-Assassins. Because there cannot BE an ex-Assassin. If the answer to the question "Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Assassin's Guild?" is "Yes" then you cannot have a good alignment. Even if by some bizarre chance you did get your alignment changed, the fact remains that it is impossible to be a good Assassin as stated by RAW.

The game allows for paladins to turn evil, for monks to turn chaotic, for any number of alignment variations. But unlike paladins, monks, bards, barbarians, what have you, there's nothing in RAW for ex-Assassins. Consequently you cannot assume there can be ex-Assassins simply because it suits your powergaming needs. It states clearly there can be no good Assassins. Game over.

--

Well OK it turns out that was an edited quote, the original was about dread necromancers. Slightly more room for alignment obsessive groggery there, but still, the dread necromancer class should still be able to be good. It's just some spells and abilities, after all. Alignment restrictions are still dumb.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Oh dear god, this thread. What happens when you combine an Star Fleet Universe grog, Pathfinder, AD&D supplements that even the most nostalgic old-schoolers might have a problem with, and homemade critical fumble charts?

quote:

It has been suggested on the forums that it would be fun, or at least suspenseful, to play a fantasy campaign where characters had to face all the nerve-wracking detail and complications of actually being in a war like Vietnam. I can tell ya: It AIN'T fun and it's not even very suspenseful, unless pondering exactly HOW the GM is going to screw you over every week seems entertaining.

On the weekends, my roommate (Don) and I play Star Fleet Battles with some other Star Trek fans, one of whom is an ex-military man and avid game collector who also runs Federation & Empire and has a lot of RPGs. (For those who aren't aware, Star Fleet Battles is a tactical wargame for those who thought GURPS and HERO System don't use enough math, and Federation & Empire is a strategy game for those who thought Advanced Third Reich didn't use enough logistics.)

This guy had proposed running a Pathfinder game at the neighborhood comics/RPG store on Wednesdays, partly to promote business in the store. This would include a few other friends and the GM's two sons, one about college age and the other around 10-12. And since most of us were into "crunchy" RPGs and had heard that Pathfinder was much more like D&D 3.5 than D&D 4 (which our friend Gary was running on Saturdays) we were eager to see what it was like.
It gets worse.

quote:

First off, the GM really isn't running just Pathfinder. He uses critical hit and fumble tables of origin unknown to me. (Once I fumbled with a bow and got the result 'Archer's Elbow: -2 to ranged attacks for 1 minute.') I recently told him that Pathfinder Ultimate Combat is out with its own critical/fumble/wound rules. He says he likes what he has more.

Secondly, as part of the wilderness focus, he doesn't use the Pathfinder rules for wilderness survival, instead using the Wilderness Survival Guide. If you don't recognize that title, it's from 2nd Edition. That's right. D&D with the A. And of course out of print. Compared to the rules in the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, the WSG rules for survival are more detailed. Much more detailed. WAY too Goddamn detailed. I will explain exactly how later.

quote:

Basically in non-combat situations we have to spend a lot of time arguing (with a lot of that arguing being between the GM's older son and the little brother) because the GM needs us to go over the details of exactly where we keep our gear, what our encumbrance is, where the stuff we don't personally carry is (the horse, a wagon, whatever), assess the material value of treasure collected, and so on. And in combat situations, the natural slowness I've noticed in D20 games is exacerbated by the GM doing everything he can to complicate things.

quote:

As we explored the GM told us at various points what the heat, precipitation and humidity levels were, and that the climate would affect our ability to wear armor by making armor more uncomfortable and debilitating to wear. Fortunately at this point we were only dealing with wild animals.

quote:

After healing the Barbarian, we convinced the captured bandit to help us find Hap's lair. The GM said that the hot snap had turned into a cold snap so we had to switch gear and put on the armor and cold-weather clothes.

quote:

This has all been less than two weeks of game time. In the real world, our first game was April 6th. It's now last week of September. My PC has 1078 of 3000 XP needed for 2nd level. So that's with almost 6 months. At this rate it will be past next April before we get 3000 experience. So when Don joked that we won't hit 2nd level before spring, he turned out to NOT be joking.

quote:

But before we set out, the GM explained that there was a freak heat wave (in the second week of spring) and temperature combined with the effects of both relative humidity and wearing armor made the personal temperature over 100 degrees for anyone wearing armor. He said that with the modifiers in the Wilderness Survival Guide, anyone who chose to wear armor would lose points off Strength, Dexterity and Constitution as well as suffer an attack penalty due to climate effects.

At home, I had to excavate my copy from storage to look up the full details for myself. Basically, the book has separate definitions for actual temperature (as in, the air temperature on the thermometer), effective temperature (with factors like wind chill or humidity) and personal temperature (the cumulative effects of all this combined with chosen factors like wearing lighter or heavier clothing and armor). Most of these rules were concentrated in the first chapter. The rules for actually generating weather and humidity were way back in the Appendix.

But if effective temperature with weather and humidity was over 90 degrees, and most of us (due to the constraints of Strength and a 1st-level character budget) were wearing no heavier than leather armor, that's still an increase in personal temperature of 20 degrees Fahrenheit on the chart (WSG, p. 19).
The chart on page 21 indicates the effect of personal temperature on character stats. It uses two figures each for Str, Dex and Con, but the figure before the first slash is "nonstrenuous activity", aka not combat, in other words, not worth a frak for purpose of this discussion. But anyway, the figures given for "strenuous activity" are:

Personal Temperature 110 to 119
Str -3
Dex -2
Con -4
Land Move 1/2
Attack Rolls -3

This is of course IN ADDITION TO the later table for hit point damage due to extreme temperatures, which requires a Constitution check to avoid, which in AD&D is a roll-under-the-stat on d20 figure with bonus (read: penalty) based on temperature, and the Con number is, of course, further adjusted downward by the attribute penalty for personal temperature.

quote:

So we're escorting the delivery wagon, Hap is unconscious in the back, and we're out in our light hot-weather clothes and no armor. Around late morning, we see in the distance a wrecked wagon, bodies lying around and someone waving for help. The Barbarian and the Rogue are immediately suspicious. We approach within 50' and make it known to the GM that we have weapons ready and are searching.

And the NPC is yelling out as we face off, "Oh. Please. It was terrible! They attacked us and took prisoners! See that guy right in the middle of the road with all the arrows in him? Please save him. Help Me. Spock!"

I can't remember exactly who decided to investigate, but Don and I both wanted to see if the bandits had in fact taken prisoners or come from a certain direction. So Don's Rogue started sneaking on foot off the road and I followed up looking on horseback. The Druid walked up to the guy in the middle of the road with arrows in him. The Barbarian, Ranger and Wizard stayed with the NPC teamster back near the cart.

Suddenly we're being shot at and the guys in back take damage. As with the last ambush we're not told exactly where the arrows are coming from. THEN, the guy the Druid came to heal rolls and does a covered shot on him, as does the "merchant" that the Rogue was moving toward. And then two of the guys on the ground point swords at me.

Me: "Whaddya mean, they've got me covered?"
GM: "Because you moved close enough when you said you were moving towards the Rogue."
Don: "I'd rolled a modified 21 when I was searching the area. How did this guy sneak up on me?"
GM: "Because you weren't looking in the direction he was approaching from."
Me: "And I didn't get a Perception roll? Sense Motive? Something?"
GM: "I rolled that for you in secret."
Me: "Your courtesy is appreciated."

Basically, if you don't explain in way more detail than it's worth exactly what you're doing with every single baby step you take, and do not display a level of observational awareness that would shame Sherlock Holmes – in other words if you cannot play Three Card Monte with the GM and read his mind – he will rule that you fell into the trap no matter how flipping obvious he makes it that it is a trap. The other alternatives of course were to either ride around the trap (and likely get shot at) or to shoot first and ask questions later. ('Hey, that legless orphan looked like he was packing!')

Of course I didn't consider at the time that the reason the guy luring our Druid looked like he was shot up is that the GM explained after the fact that he'd faked his wounds by sticking arrows in his leather armor.
You know- the leather armor that the GM advised us to NOT WEAR BECAUSE THE WEATHER WAS TOO HOT???

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
And something lighter and less wall of text about terrible DMing:

quote:

Re: [TSR/retroclone] At-will power-ized Thief class

Other than the nomenclature, it's not half bad.

Much less overall, but reliable effects.

I hate that you're looking at it as "powers" though, as nothing is particularly "power" like in that list at all. I mean, people get PP'd all the time everywhere - that's not a "power" in the slightest. It's a person with some serious SKILL picking your pocket.

So, yeah - drop that nomenclature. "power" has no place in a 2e-based thief build. None.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I only play a homebrewed system based on D20 & Phoenix Command, eight years in the making, based on my extensive study of real-life operators and police firearms. None of this D20 Modern baby gaming, or Spycraft with its "cinematic" rules which destroy verisimilitude and replace it with powergaming and overpowered abilities put in to attract the Matrix Online crowd.

I have a binder with 80 pages of critical fumble charts sorted by weapon type. It's totally unrealistic that in lesser systems the fumbles are the same for a revolver and for a revolver with an extended stock.

(Wasn't there a D20 Modern supplement, by Mongoose or someone, that was literally hundreds of pages of guns with a paragraph of text and a statline virtually identical to all the others?)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I just remembered a game I stumbled across ages ago that probably deserves to go in the FATAL thread: SOF Warrior! I don't have it, and I'm not likely to buy it, but the PDF review on the site describes it in more than enough detail to keep me away.

quote:

There have been a lot of rules over the past few years that purport to be ‘ultra-realistic’, very few actually deliver the goods – how does SOF Warrior rate?

These rules will not be for everyone but that is not their aim, a squad level game representing a few minutes of actual combat can last for hours. It has an Excel spreadsheet to help you add up the modifiers needed when firing. You figure out how far to move based on the average yards per second speed of a character doing the action portrayed on the table. Ideally you need an umpire to run the game and you need a lot of time. When we have played it is often left out to come back to later. All ranges are 1:1 and the level of detail makes you want to play with figures with lots of character so 20mm plus, which means you need a big space, the intro scenario for 20mm figures is 12’x 6’.

quote:

SOF Warrior is a fantastic mix of Role play and miniature war-gaming. The characters have 16 attributes ranging from ‘Power’ to ‘Hearing’ and can have up to 33 skills.

quote:

this simple but elegant mechanism

quote:

Let’s briefly look at how you conduct fire with the rules, this presumes you have already seen, heard or smelt your target – each character has a weapons’ skill attribute. To this you apply a number of ‘modifiers’. There are 56 modifiers to work through and the end result is a number you have to roll to achieve a hit. The crunch is though you roll a die for every round that is fired that second. If a figure fires a SAW for their action and the target is subject to the whole seconds worth of fire you roll 12 dice (simultaneously) and see which ones are on target. You then determine the location of any ‘hits’ on the target, if the location area is covered by any protection or cover, the calibre of rounds penetration value is checked. If it passes through then you roll to see what damage is caused to the target. The damage range is incredible and you may just end up lying there whilst you bleed to death without having any say in it.

quote:

I can’t really do the ‘realism’ of these rules justice in the limited space of a short review; just let me say I have never come across a set of rules where you can determine if you can smell your opponent.

Edit: I should probably quote the official blurb.

quote:

In spite of the darkness, the SOF Warrior’s NODs enabled him to
see a lone sentry armed with an AK-47 sitting approximately 75
meters away. Suddenly, the man stood up and the SOF operative
froze in place. He cursed under his breath as he realized
something must have betrayed his presence. Although, he was
certain he had not been spotted, the man began to run. The
operative knew he was intended to be an early warning, and soon
the other insurgents would be alerted.

Instinctively, his finger found the pressure pad on the fore grip of
his M4 Carbine which activated the infrared laser sight, and in an
instant the target was tracked. With no time to attain a “cheek
weld” he squeezed the trigger…

...and the player rolled the dice!
On the plus side, the reviewer likes NUTS! Two Hour Wargames games are awesome and everyone should play them, at least the freebie Chain Reaction rules.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Seriously, is there a special prize for being the one millionth Generic Fantasy Game or something?

But it has 11 races! You can be a half-orc, or even an orc!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

You should continue commenting on 4e, however, as it drives the fanatics up a wall. Not to sound like a slavering fanboy, but that bit you wrote about dissociated mechanics was one of the best critiques of 4e that I have ever read. It was something I could describe but couldn't put a name to, and it drove me nuts. Now I have a concrete term for what irks the poo poo out of me about 4e.
Earlier this page, but I love this.

quote:

Now I have a concrete term for what irks the poo poo out of me about 4e.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

VanSandman posted:

You know what really bothers me about poo poo like that? Fantasy Naming. If its something people are gonna talk about a lot, it should have a short name. Look at how many words I just used that only have one or two syllables. But it seems every drat fantasy thing is a dozen syllables long. Do these people not get how common words are short words? Dragon is only two syllables for Christ sake. It's just how language works!

"We call it a Zat'nik'tel." "It's a zat gun."

One of the things Stargate SG-1 did well.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
"Morgoth!" the Elf-King cried. "You bloody gem-thieving son of a bitch!"

I would read that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Dear god.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
But batman doesn't have superpowers, and yet he's as good as or better than other superheroes...

Clearly he's a gestalt wizard/druid with a special feat that makes his use of magic undetectable as magic. No, hang on, that's ludicrous. It's a special spell.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that the reason for anthromorphic animal races getting awesome +WIS is literally "they have good hearing and/or eyesight, which are covered by WIS skills."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Someone in the Industry (tm) posted that their friend who knows Monte Cook says he's working on 5e!!! But why?!

Quick, xechnao2, explain this mystery to me!

quote:

Why do you people assume that these rumors may not be spread by Wotc on purpose. It can be a damage control style of announcement campaign and, at the same time, a provocation to suspicions of a good excuse of why they have cut back in production.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

In the PDF age all adventures should be compatible with all editions
Sorry, more about the edition treadmill.

Suppose I have a 1E copy of Village of Hommlet and my group plays 4E. I want to share that experience with them. My options are
- Remake encounters for 4E based on my 1E copy
- Rebuy the 4E version of what I already own for $77 on ebay
- Convince my gaming group to learn 1E or a retroclone and make characters for that
- Look for an adaptation on the internet
All of those options are terribly inconvenient. They guarantee that D&D adventures have limited shelf-life and limited value. That needs to stop.

As WOTC begins selling PDFs (whenever that day comes) going forward all WOTC adventures should be compatible with all editions. I should be able to play a new 5E adventure in 2E without any difficulties. With technology WOTC could:
- Include a code in future products that allows the purchaser to download a PDF addendum containing monster stats, skill checks, etc. that make the module 1E/2E/3E/4E and even possibly PF/C&C compatible.
- Publish different PDF products for all editions. Essentially they'd be the same book with numbers and rules changed for compatibility with different editions. Purchasing the base book or PDF would give access to all of the various PDFs.
- Crowdsource module conversions from a centralized wikipedia-style webpage where members could vote on the best adaptation. They could also strategically control what aspects of the document are modifiable so users don't insert an outside copyrighted image into their work.

When you had to rely solely on books it was simply unrealistic to support every edition. You couldn't print four nearly identical Tomb of Horrors books, send all of them to the gaming store and expect all of them to sell. Those days are over. I want a code in Madness at Gardmore Abbey that lets me have a 1E and 3.5 PDF of the same material.
Various people explain that no, this is not really viable, then suddenly!

quote:

For example, my Kaidan setting is currently developed for PF only. However, I have been approached by Iron Crown Enterprises and several other non-D&D publishers interested in either licensing Kaidan for their system, or asking that I develop the setting for their game. The time it would take for me to learn their rules, or the cost in hiring someone to do that for me is prohibitive to being a successful small publisher. Besides I don't want to water down my market by making my game available to all options - it would hurt PF sales if I did that, and the PF market is my primary market. Why would I want to hurt sales deliberately?
Did you know that every publisher wants Kaidan for their own system. :allears:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Gau posted:

I love that these people act like these statblocks will magically convert themselves, not to mention the fact that whole adventures written for 1E/2E would not even kind of world under 4E's playstyle, and vice-versa. Somebody has to do that, and someone has to pay them. How much would this guy bitch if he had to buy the $40 book and then pay another ten bucks for his first edition stats. I mean, really.
Some encounters just don't work without a lot of hassle in certain editions - in OD&D or AD&D you can probably throw two dozen weak monsters at the party, and 4e can do it too with minions, but 3e? That would be a horrible mess to sort out, it's just not built around weak creatures being able to reliably affect stronger ones.

Oh sorry I forgot the magic of crowdsourcing will fix it! Or they can just write a script to go through their magic database fixing everything, that will be sure to appease the savage grogs. A database is just a big table, after all.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

xechnao2 really are insane, aren't they? posted:

I would say Wotc committed harakiri by going OGL while failing the gleemax project later on. It should have studied the project more and invest accordingly for success so to secure a solid future for its assets (I am particularly thinking about D&D here). Look at a current business model of Blizzard, that of Diablo III that allows gamers to sell game items that they can farm in the Diablo game. Wotc should have made something akin to this with D&D on something like gleemax. People that buy the books can sell their house-rules. Wotc takes a transaction profit every time. What it ought to do is some quality control. Just by requiring publishers to register some official state/country authority ID it would suffice to eliminate a lot of bloat potential.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
WTS bane gaurd revised edtion $2 PST

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I've reported him for spamming KAIDANKAIDANKAIDAN once on some forum or other, when it was really obnoxious and blatantly not relevant at all, but most of the time seeing one of his posts brightens up my day and brings a little japanese ghost joy into my heart.

Edit: Whoever compared him to a pokemon, only able to speak its own name? They had a point. You can't hate him for it! It's just his nature! Do you get angry at the dawn chorus for waking you, or a kitten for falling asleep on a pile of warm, freshly-washed towels?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I had to google it to discover that it wasn't Alexandrian.

Stationary Magic (Stationary Magic Adds Interesting Realism And Flavor To One's Game World.) posted:

And yes, should the PCs assess the power of some spells tossed their way, they may sometimes get an erroneous read on the true level of their opponent. For example, normally getting hit with a 10-dice Fireball trap implies a 10th-level or even higher-level opponent, but if it were a fixed Fireball trap that was specially researched for that particular hallway, their opponent might only be a 6th-level wizard, for example, and not a 10th-level wizard. As you can see, this method adds the fun and power and challenge of certain aspects of a 10-level encounter, but since it's only a 6th-level encounter, you get all the same fun, but the encounter is far more probable and believable, since 6th-level wizards are far more common and plausible than 10th-level wizards. So while players may feel cheated the eventual treasure hoard is more in line with that of a 6th-level wizard than a 10th-level one, the challenge is worth more XP, and it's not quite as tough as a real 10th-level wizard would have been, either. Only some of it is that challenging - not all of it, and in particular, the endgame battle would be against a lower-level spell caster than the fixed spells led the players (or characters) to believe. Besides, it keeps them guessing and prevents them from becoming too complacent or too certain of their facts, and that's usually a good thing since the unknown is often far more exciting and interesting than what one already knows.

The N Level Rule For Multiclassing posted:

THIRD EDITION DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, or 3rd ed. D&D, or in the shortest way I can find to express it, 3e, is the topic of this work. Or more specifically, a problem with their new multiclassing rules.

Why did you write this?

Because while reading the 3e Player's Handbook, I was aggravated and annoyed.

Why?

3e violated too many points I consider important for my preferred style of play.

What style is that?

Quite simply, the Roleplaying style.

If your name has ever been used before ever, you're not roleplaying as much as you could be! posted:

But I have fun playing 3e? I love it. I roleplay my character like you say, within reason. How isn't that "roleplaying."

It is, so relax a bit. Remember, I said it was a matter of degrees. Did you name your character? I mean, did you make up a name, or did you borrow one from the book?

Well, I did use that dwarven family name, but I made up my own first name. My dwarven fighter is named Orotor Balderk.

OK. So technically, since you didn't totally make up your own name, you are roleplaying just a little bit less than you could be. Also, there are more dwarven fighters named Balderk than there might otherwise be if 3e hadn't tried to foist those on the players to substitute their creativity for the player's own. So your PC is less unique insofar as there are other male dwarven fighters also named Balderk.
Apparently if you take a one- or two-level dip in Rogue, the guild will put out a hit on you for betraying them by leaving before your education was complete. They only have time for serious students willing to take at least three levels in Rogue.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
GURPS has optional rules for increasing skill levels and stats without paying XP, based on how many hours of training you've done. I think it's a base of 200 or 400 hours with a tutor for a normal skill, much more if you're studying alone, less if you're intensively using the skill under stressful conditions like adventuring.

I'm pretty sure they fit on less than a page, and are far clearer and easier than anything that guy has ever written.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

There is something wrong with people who create worlds with nicely optimised calendars - exactly 20 months of 20 days breaks all my verisimilitude posted:

THE TWIN MOONS OF ORLANTIA

In the course of creating Orlantia, I had naturally given it a moon; in fact, two moons. Folar, the inner moon, (also sometimes spelled Pholar), has an orbital period of exactly 10-days. A day, coincidentally, is still 24 standard Earth hours on Orlantia, thus avoiding the problem of a radically different time frame. The outer moon, Septer (also sometimes spelled Scepter), has an orbital period of exactly 20-days. Since both moons are in the same orbital plane, which, by the way, is different from the ecliptic, ( the plane containing the center of Gimarian (this solar system's sun) and the center of Orlantia at any given time), but identical to Orlantia's equatorial plane, both moons will eclipse one another every 20-days. They both have the same angular size in the sky and so appear to be nearly identical and of the same size, just as Earth's moon and Earth's sun, Sol, appear to be the same size. Beyond that, I didn't need to know anything else. Unfortunately, I had assigned some arbitrary sizes and distances to these moons, not quite realizing once their periods were fixed and Orlantia's mass was known, the distances to the moons were also determined, not arbitrarily, but by Kepler's Laws. In particular, GMT^2/(4(pi)^2)=D^3.

Thankfully no story line had yet been written concerning these numbers, and so I was able to correct my mistakes before they became a problem. Using Kepler's laws I determined the distances to Folar and Septer to be 34,393.28 miles and 54,595.93 miles respectively. By comparison, Earth's moon is about 239,000 miles away. Since it turned out that Orlantia's moons were outside the Roche limit, where tidal forces would tear them apart if they were inside it, I didn't have a problem and was able to proceed.

I next turned my attention to the two moon's angular size. The arbitrary sizes I had previously given them resulted in an angular size of about 1-degree at those distances. That's nearly twice our moon's angular size and I didn't want that. I therefore reduced their size to about 0.6-degrees of arc, just a little bigger than the 0.5-degrees of arc for Earth's moon. Thus, even though Orlantia's moons are both smaller than Earth's, because Folar and Septer are considerably closer, they appear to be a little bigger. To be exact, the diameters of Folar, Septer, and Earth's moon are 180 miles, 286 miles, and 1080 miles respectively. Now that I think about it, these moons would appear to be slightly larger than Gimarian, Orlantia's sun, but that's O.K.

Next, I decided to determine their masses. I was concerned that these numbers may have necessarily been somehow fixed by other previously determined parameters and would work out to be wholly unrealistic; but this was not the case. A moon's mass would be determined if one could observe where the barycenter would be. The barycenter is that center of mass point which both masses appear to orbit. Usually, this is nearly the same as the center of the much more massive object, or at any rate, sufficiently close to its center such that most people wouldn't notice. Since it wasn't predetermined, I arbitrarily set them to be at the surface of the 125-km radius spherical wall of force deep inside Orlantia for the moon Folar, and at the surface of Orlantia itself for Septer. After a little number crunching I discovered the masses of the moons would therefore need to be 3.04329 x 10^23 grams and 1.463855 x 10 ^24 grams giving them average densities of 2.98 g/cm^3 and 3.59 g/cm^3. Finally, I placed the orbital plane of the moons in the same plane of Orlantia's equator. This plane was at an angle of about 20-degrees to the ecliptic, similar to Earth's 23.5-degrees, thus, giving rise to the seasons on Orlantia. Since all of this is comparable to Earth and Earth's moon, and therefore perfectly reasonable (I assume), I left it at that. It should, of course, be noted the moons, when eclipsing one another, which happens 20 times a year, will be at identical, but varying degrees of fullness at the time of the eclipses throughout the Orlantian year. Also, the only time both moons are full during their eclipse happens to be the first of the year that is at the spring equinox. So one thing to remember is that the new year begins as spring starts rather than in the middle of the dead of winter. I think all of this works out, but I haven't made a computer model or anything to be sure. Oh well.

The important thing here was only to preserve the orbital periods of 10-days and 20-days for the moons (seems like an awful lot of work to just get there, but I do these things sometimes just for the hell of it as it may only take a few hours of calculations). These periods were important because much had been played and written concerning the Orlantian calendar. It turns out the orbit of Orlantia around Gimarian is 399 days, 21 hours, 31 minutes, and 28 seconds, or 3.4551088 x 10^7 seconds. This gives rise to the convenient 100 day seasons. Better still, the 400-day year divides up nicely into twenty, 20-day months. Each SEPTER month is the orbit of the outer moon Septer, and each of those contain two FOLAR weeks, or a 10-day week, which is the orbit of the inner moon Folar. Thus each year contains 400-days, or 20 Septers, or 40 Folars. (This has two noticeable effects for the culture in general. One; 10, 20, and 40 tend to be considered holy numbers; and two; many mathematically inclined people tend to know their multiplication tables up to 20 times 20 in the same way that most of us know ours up to 10 times 10.
It goes on.

Guilty Spork posted:

It seems to be another one of those "So why the hell aren't you playing GURPS?" kind of things.
These are all about a decade old, maybe he got a copy of GURPS Space and Vehicles and realised that D&D is for babbies?

Selected place names from part of his campaign world, yes, I will stop spamming grognards.txt in a sec posted:

The Asian Gulf
The Wu Jen Shores
The Plains of Sohei
Shukeja
Katana
Wakizashi
Kaidan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Cure spells heal wizards and rogues proportionately more than fighters because wizards and rogues are smart and thin, whereas fighters are big and muscular and also jocks. The spell's healing energy isn't targeted on wounds, it's averaged over the entire body mass. Verisimilitude!

Cure Serious Wounds can make pixies literally explode, just like being on the positive energy plane for too long. Mass Cure Critical Wounds is a WMD.

Also I guess undead don't have living flesh so the spell has to divide by zero, and hurts them. I prefer the idea of clerics making forests full of fairies explode with healing power though.