Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
"Perfect!" Galaxia cheered, excitedly, "Now all we need to do is...no..."

"What's wrong?" Uranus asked.

"Cthulu's being pushed into a corner. Something is about to happen. Something strange and insane! It will free Ange from Cthulu's grasp, but Cthulu will return, in a new body."

"What are you talking about?" Neptune asked.

"If Ange shrugs off Cthulu, Cthulu will divide off of Ange, into a new body."

Sailor Moon pbp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Tekopo posted:

It's all coming together. Now prove that WotC did 9/11.

4E -> 45
56 follows 45

9 / 11

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Red_Mage posted:

in the name of a next-gen Activator.

That at least got a chuckle.

quote:

Cosmic & Storm Sorcerers: EPIC FAIL!
So I finally looked through all of Arcane Power, and got to sorcerers.

I love the two new concepts for sorcerer spellpower. Fury of the storm and the passage of time, space, and the universe. Very cool.

Then, IMHO, they REVERSED the secondary scores needed for these classes!

Storm sorcerers should have been Str: D&D has typically associated the raw power of the the storm with strength (Kord is god of Str. and Storm. Storm giants. Etc). It also would have been a good mix for genasi (who are a str/int race) but neither attribute good for a genasi (storm/chaos) is str based. Grrr...

Onto similar terms; why is Cosmic Str based? I see cosmic as similar to astrology/astronomy with a bit of Zoroastrianism tossed in; a power source for scholars and scribes of yore. I don't often think of them as strong, muscular types, but delicate and careful, if not a little dextrous.

In short: storm should have been Str, Cosmic should have been Dex (actually Int, but I digress).

Anyone see the rationale for Storm/Dex and Cosmic/Str?

Not horrible (he actually seems to be enjoying 4e) but anyone who games and says EPIC FAIL in real life is probably a grognard or just generally terrible.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Oh yeah I agree too. It was more of an illustration of speech patterns. Correct or not, I hear "grognard" when anyone says EPIC FAIL actually out loud, regardless of what they are declaring to have failed so thoroughly. It's like gaming with someone that really does that high pitched snorting laughter.

They may like fun, but they probably like charts better.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Angry Diplomat posted:

didn't take the coffeebrewer feat?

I love how it's blindingly obvious that that guy is a die-hard 2e fanboy

2e fanboys are the best fanboys because you get that nice build up of sanity while they're criticizing 3e and then BAM 4e. Always a great punchline.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

OutsideAngel posted:

You can go on about how style is everything, but you're still trying to achieve a goal before everyone else, and that's competition

and at least an 18 in your primary stat.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Saeku posted:

Nah, this is the D&D official forums. Instead they responded with spergy rules for sexual combat and using every skill in the book in sex skill challenges.

Hahaha

quote:

Religion (2):Whisper supplications to divinites and other mythic beings related to physical love that
helps fortify your body against the rigors of passionate activity. Can be used one time to either
remove one failure of the Endurance skill or to add a +2 bonus to your next Endurance check.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Practically an icon in the Ohio convention circuit.

God drat that's funny.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Origins are classes/professions and use engineered human reskinned for single classed characters. Alpha cards are races.

420 race reassignment surgery everyday

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Every other Friday night is Fosborb Story Time while my audience plays Rock Paper Scissors or whatever the gently caress it doesn't really matter.

It's just better that way for the entire industry, I can say as a modern designer.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Jesus Christ that prose is painful to read. Might as well dig up my childhood Aliens™ pulp.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Vanilla Bison posted:

This is an amazing amount of words spent just to say "I think they were too quick to ban Mystical Tutor, and it would have been a good answer to the Survival of the Fittest decks that are doing well right now."

What's shocking is that it seems he reaches a somewhat reasonable conclusion after all that. Granted in this thread anything short of calls for defenestration sounds reasonable...

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
And say, "also, I'm female. Stop making fallacious assumptions."

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Angry Diplomat posted:

the grognards who wish to be chessmasters do not play chess, because they do not possess the creativity or cleverness needed to gain "mastery" over others within a system of equality. you see, there is a much more recent game which these would-be "master" grognards often hate. a game that departed from its forebears to be more like chess... pieces on a grid of squares, each with different clearly-defined roles, gliding around turn-by-turn in a careful dance of positioning and destruction, carefully balanced against each other such that they are only truly dangerous when their abilities are used in tandem...

haha 4e grog.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Angry Diplomat posted:

what is fluxx, I have heard of it maybe twice and know nothing about it

yes congratulations that is the joke, you have won, you are the comedy chessmaster

Look at this jerk that doesn't even know flux. And I don't need you to tell me when I've won.

Currently smoking knight cock and bishop scrotum

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mystic Mongol posted:

What's that? Ritual casting? I'm not interested in modern music, thank you.

And/or reskinning. Turn divine to Arcane and shift Thunder and Fire to Lightening and Poison as you inevitably fall.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Laptops today don't spec out vertical refresh rates on the box which really destroys my gygaxisimulationisticalism.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Attilla posted:

The easiest way to do 4E Modern would likely be taking Gamma World and changing up the Origins for like archetypes. So like Soldier for one, Scientist for another, FBI Agent, etc.

gently caress you I was going to post the same drat thing. Not just the ammo, but the damage ratios would fit great as well. Alpha fluxes are a bit trickier. Easy to completely ignore if you want to go that route though. Otherwise treating them like Bioshock's plasmids would be awesome.

I also think it wouldn't hurt to hack in some of the beliefs mechanics from Burning Wheel. Granted, I think most D&D games could benefit from that...

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Drox posted:

Uhhh yeah, actually!

Only you'd want to streamline it- make it kind of like GW origins in that your gun has like two attributes, each of which give it a power.

gently caress yeah. One or two tables to determine gun type. One table for accessories that add range, elemental damage, accuracy, power. Let inherent bonuses handle the base math. Rares get 1d4 roles on the accessory table.

Two or three roles and you have a new gun. A couple of more roles for the fancy stuff where you want to slow the narrative anyway.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Guns should be really powerful because guns are really powerful, but it's stupid that everyone can wield them. You'll have to make sure only 1, maybe 2 classes can do that. I mean sure, if a player thinks he can fire a gun without years of training let them, but then they'll have to roll on a table to see what body part they just blew off so they'll learn their lesson. I'm kinda iffy about adding things outside of RAW anyway, but this is the only way it'll be both realistic and balanced.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Honestly black powder firearms are a bad choice for most fantasy games. They work by killing or maiming in one hit.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I'm just quoting other boards. I thought that's what we did here?

the average person has around a 50/50 chance of dying if successfully attacked with a lethal weapon. Apply that to your giving the average person 18 hps, and damage should be measured in pools of d20s. Maybe d10s for unarmed attacks, 1d20 for light clubs, 2d20 for bladed weapons, heavy blunt trauma, and low-caliber firearms, 3 or 4 for long guns, 5 and up for machinegun fire, 7 and up for artillery.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Angry Diplomat posted:

this is different for guns than for big fuckoff blades because,

guns = katanas
katana guns etc

I don't know how you guys find solid grog about things like katanas. I know it exists but at this point it's a can haz katanaz joke.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Between Drox's and Countblanc's avatar change I just don't know what the gently caress. Someone give Liesmith a custom title and lets tear this bitch down.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Drox posted:

Players really like it when you clench fists and grit your teeth when they crit your big monsters into nothing, I'm surprised mine haven't realized that I do it just because it makes them feel like Big drat Heroes.

I like to tell them, in a faintly weak voice, how much I had to break XP budgets because they're just so far ahead of the standard skill/power curve the DMG expects.

DMing is good practice for being a high-class prostitute.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Some nice 2007 vintage.

quote:

Right, someone needs to stick up for the intellectuals, I guess. I don't think he's the right man for the job, though.

Welcome to the flight of self delusion. Our self appointed Captian Psstpoke was just announcing our arrival into the realm of nightmare and has opted for the lemming vote.

Is that a bit over the top...sure. But 4.0 can kiss my hairy white rear end. Oversimplification is more sycophantic catering to stupid people who can't even be bothered to learn a little mathematics. The point of D&D was to have fun AND intellectually stimulate all the bored intelligent people who have better things to do than suck it up and do what the lemmings want to do.

Im definitely going to continue my venom spewing on this issue, because venom spewing is a definite necessity. Someone needs to stick up for the intellectuals. oversimplification. 3.5 is already simple. If it gets any simpler it's just going to get stupid. And I like those feats and skill ranks the way they are. WOTC can bite me.

And who the hell needs more material from WOTC. They've already printed all the books any gamer could ever ask for. Why would anyone need more than a half a dozen gaming books anyways (I personally have a couple hundred...but that's just me). This is definitely a marketing scam for their online crap.

Im definitely going to boycott any and all 4.0 products. I hope 4.0 drags WOTC and HASBRO under. They deserve that much. Then Gary Gygax can buy it back and salvage what little is left of HIS game.

quote:

In my group we draw maps but we also have character death *GASP!*

As for the name calling, I call them as I see them. The more I read abou the changes going to be made and the reactions of some people makes me think that today's gamers have no cojones. I grew up on adventures such as the Temple of Elemental Evil, Tome of Horrors, and Dragon Mountain. If these adventures were released today much of their bite, their fun, would have been cut out and discarded.

It makes me sick that I am even part of this hobby.

quote:

D&D has "jumped the shark"
So I am surfing the Web and come upon this:

Jumping the shark is a metaphor that has been used by U.S. TV critics and fans since the 1990s to denote the tipping point at which a TV series is deemed to have passed its peak. Once a show has "jumped the shark," fans sense a noticeable decline in quality or feel the show has undergone too many changes to retain its original charm.

I truly believe we can apply this to Dungeons&Dragons as we all know it. D&D has definitely "jumped the shark". How many more here believe this to be a fact as well? It certainly fits. By the time 4E is released, everything we've come to know about D&D will be gone and decline to the point where it has lost its original feel and atmosphere.

From what I have read about all the changes to the D&D game with 4th Edition, I've come to the same feeling that I am sure 1E and 2E veterans can now agree on also.

D&D is no longer what it used to be, once 4E comes. Everything we've come to accept as part of D&D is going to either be completely gone, mostly gone, or horrifyingly morphed into something unrecognizable anymore.

I don't believe a word from any of the designers about the necessity of a 4E. They HAVE to say positive things about their product. They HAVE to agree to 4E no matter what. It's their job. They cannot bite the hand that feeds them. I wonder, truly, how many of the designers are thinking,"We could've kept 3.5E and patched it up rather than move to a whole new edition". Everything they say must be taken with a grain of salt. They're uncompromisingly biased.

WotC has lost touch with the roots of the game, with the customers and fans, and have been swept up by corporate-shenannigans. 4E will not bring together new generation gamers and old generation gamers at all like previous editions have. It's ALL going to be new generation. I truly hope 4E bogs, maybe WotC will learn its lesson and learn that tabletops can never compete with MMORPGs. Instead of wasting time and money on what they call "improvements", they could've improved what they already invested in.

So this will be my goodbye to such a great game. I am watching it die on its last legs. Grand History of the Realms, Rules Compendium, and Elder Evils will be my final purchases of D&D products from WotC. I'll be playing my 3.5E games until death, probably.

Because we all know 5th Edition is coming out within the next 5-6 years. Even if you're scoffing at me for saying it, you know deep down it's going to happen and you're going to make that same choice again: follow WotC blindly or really stick it to them and let them know they can't get away with destroying our hobby.

Farewell, Dungeons&Dragons. You will be missed.

D&D R.I.P.
1974-2008

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Halloween Jack: that's not too bad though, at least he doesn't dismiss 4E or anything like it, he just wants monster ecology (massive amounts of work for the DM but always neat for the player to have if it only ever surfaces when relevant to the players).

I think it's horrifying because at first blush I'd love to have a tool like that, and then I realize it's the first step toward an unwavering gygaxian naturalism that absolutely cannot be deviated from because setting consistency trumps player agency and you are here to hear my story and I need to win my elfgames and

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Haha gently caress yes. One side is Norse for "God bear" and the other is "son of kings."

I'm clearly the wizard

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

NorgLyle posted:

Gestalt rules are amazing, even in 4th edition

Yes, another reason why Gamma World is the best setting. Gestalt rules baked all the way through.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Halloween Jack posted:

I did better than I expected on the polearm test because last night, I perused Gary Gygax's Living Fantasy. It is seriously a book of random facts and tables for European medieval worldbuilding. It devotes one page to different types of swords and two or three to polearms. It also has pages upon pages upon pages for random roll tables to decide everything up to and including the weather, including wind speed and direction and what effect that has on the surface of a body of water.

Dwarf Fortress: The Novel

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Oh drat it. I thought there were some legitimately good ideas in that module (and don't they also do the "I'm with D&D" thing?) Shame they're still awful nerds.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Jonked posted:

I actually like the Fourthcore manifesto they have up there. Makes me want to write up a Deathtrap Dungeon that's actually good.

You know, no overpowered instant death spells and monsters that eat healing surges.

Exactly. I appreciate how they approached a nightmare mode difficulty while keeping close to 4e's design precepts. Especially because it's made to run as only a one-shot.

I'm not sure this module really belongs in grognards.txt if only because seems pretty straightforward in presenting itself as one preference instead of the one true way.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
It's not bad though? Yeah there's a bunch of save or die poo poo but it's a one off and upfront in its goals. Is it much different in its lethality than Dread?

I especially liked the rune puzzle and the unified aesthetic.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Jonked posted:

Save or Dies are boring and pretty fly in the face of everything that 4e is designed around. There's a reason why the Medusa's gaze doesn't permanently turn you to stone. Plus it goes against their own manifesto. They decry equating 'difficult' with 'high DC, high damage" and go on about how it's really resource management and decision making, and then throw down a situation where it doesn't matter how carefully I rationed my surges. Whoops, hit me with an at-will and I failed my save, guess I'll just have to roll better next time.

And yeah, I'd say it's pretty drat different from Dread. Like, about as different as you possibly could be without playing Maid.

Except the save or dies, if I remember correctly, are contingent on current surges or clues built into the module. And again the lethality is right up front - it's something players want to play, not necessarily just the DM waving his dick in front of his (soon to be raped) players.

Do you mind explaining how deaths in this module are polar opposites from Dread? I'm confused because in Dread you can be removed from all further gameplay for the night because of a simple 1 difficulty failed pull (running up a muddy hill? A simple perception check that could result in an epiphany? Sneak?) and that honestly doesn't seem that different than being turned to stone because you guess wrong on a puzzle toward the end of the night and proceeded to act on it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
neutral good

although slanted toward chaotic in things regarding big states (like police, financial system, war...) and slanted toward lawful toward day-to-day things and smaller communities.

Bitcoin Forum > Other > Off-topic > What is your alignment?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Xiahou Dun posted:

Replace Starbursts with shots of whiskey, and you've got a hell of an evening there, hoss.

Hellooooo next time I run Gamma World.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Drox posted:

I guess you would have to use fluxes instead of surges?

Yes. And while I frown on in game consequences to influence ooc behavior on general principle, restricting all booze to only what can be had through slaughter and (un)lucky rolls would probably make for the most focused encounters we've ever had.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Looking for some grog... I know! "Gamma World sucks" :v:

quote:

Isabelle is a story idea based on the Gamma World game series made by Dungeons and Dragons. Set far far in the future, centuries after an apocalyptic war, the world has changed dramatically with radioactive mutation.. now all having found their niche in nature. Despite the global nuclear catastrophe centuries ago, the planet earth is covered almost completely in thick, jungle like vegetation. And the broken hulls of ancient spaceships and city buildings litter the landscapes as if they were a part of the ground itself.. old and petrified.. and adopted for plant growth.

What this war did in Gamma World was it made every kind of life on the planet drastically mutate. Creatures normally still and docile have become mobile and violent.. Even trees are capable of walking around. And there are still humans.. though they too have long since mutated. Some physically different, others more hidden.. almost magical like. And one such woman is named Isabella. A healer.. a leader of a local tribe because she's capable of healing anybody.. any illness or wound. And she does it by face sitting.. but she also takes something as payment for her services. She takes a lifeforce that allows her to stay young.. in fact she's quite old.. past the century mark. But she looks like she's very young.

Our story starts with a journey of three warriors.. Sheeshna, Eebic, and Daren. They're on a journey to the ocean.. where they heard rumors of a civilization they want to find. Living in this time without the protection of a civilization, or some kind of walls to protect you from the outdoors is a dangerous endeavor. Death can come any time.. during the bright of day, or deep in the night. And from the must inconspicuous of sources. So the hunt for civilizations is almost a religious endeavor.

Eebic is the eldest and wisest among them.. and into sorcery. His mind has mutated.. and contains an inexplicable link to the spiritual world.. allowing him to see things that might be the future. He's the one who convinces the other two men to go to see Isabella, someone neither of them have heard of before, to heal Daren's wounds from a battle they had with a Deenock (a small, insect like creature with an insatiable desire for meat). His wounds are mortal.. and festering. And will be the death of him unless they find help.

When they get to the Isabella's tribe, they find a group of followers overly, and unnecessarily protective of her.. and actually almost zombie like. But Eebic convinces them to let them thru with a gift of some kind.

Anyway, Isabella is quite a strange creature.. Extremely sexy and deep in her knowledge and conversation.. Later on Eebic tells Sheeshna that the two of them might have to save Daren from her.. since she might not let him go after he's healed.. and might take his entire soul. Eebic uses his powers to sense what Daren is going thru, while this beautiful woman has his head tucked tightly between her legs.. and in a strange eye glowing love-make. He senses a great deal of pain and suffering in him.. the consequence of being touched in this way, his wounds clearing up, and then the draining. An almost vomit like sensation of having one's life sucked out their mouths.. Its here when Eebic signals Sheeshna who's well hidden behind cover in Isabella's chambers to save Daren.. and its then that they find out just how powerful and formidable she really is.

Sheeshna, though a man, is part crocodile. And has the head of a crocodile.. His language is one of hisses and grunts that few people can understand.. but he's a highly efficient warrior. With arms the size of tree trunks.. his biggest asset in battle is his brute strength. But he's a dumb warrior.. often surprised and eluded. Eebic is a frail old man with the Merlin like long white beard. His magic is all telekinetic.. His mind has become quite a formidable force.. able to move relatively small objects by sheer will.. But his strongest asset is his ability to predict whats going to happen before it happens. And Daren is perhaps the purest of the humans.. In fact, thats why Isabella is so charitable with him. He's a man that possesses very little mutation.. strong, agile, and of a relatively high intelligence factor. She finds him very very attractive.. and does more than heal his wounds. But begins a long and slowly sexy suck of his life force in an incredibly erotic and overbearing pose above his forehead.. his face locked in her intimacy. Daren is completely incapable of defending himself from her, being locked in her magic.. But when Sheeshna surprises her, she quickly stands, her vagina sill ejaculating a steady flow of excited juices.. and she becomes infuriated at the intrusion.

Thats when things get really scary.. and a magic that even surpasses Eebic is put on display. A woman angered at being denied what was obviously incredibly satisfying to her, energy pulses and fireballs get thrown at them by the palms of her hands more powerful than anything they'd ever come across before.. and it increasingly becomes apparent that the two of them are far outmatched.. that is until Eebic grabs a hold of Daren, and she's distracted.. a huge disparity and change in her attitude to one of desperate loneliness. "No! No.. don't touch his.. DON'T TOUCH HIS! HE MINE!"

"I heal.. I heal!" She says almost timid.. and crouching down like a subservient.. inching herself towards Eebic who's pulling Daren away. "He's healed." "No! No done yet.. No done! Please.. put down.. I heal. Beautiful man.." And thats when Sheeshna knocks her out cold from behind..

Sheeshna wants to kill her, but Sheeshna wants to kill everything, and Eebic talks him out of it, holding Daren head over puking out thick, redish molasses like fluid, clearing out his lungs.. And the three of them walk away from the tribe.. continuing on their journey. Daren now healed..

:suicide:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Guilty Spork posted:

(Because a bard's arcane type ranged attacked called Vicious Mockery that gets bonuses from his wand is clearly just him hurting the monster's feelings and nothing else.)

Wait that's not how you flavor it? (our bard writes songs between sessions and brings his guitar)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Splicer posted:

Edit: my stats is failing me. How can 38% + 50% = 100%? (female vs male Mage in that article.) I know I'm missing something.

Yeah that graph is hosed. Read it like, "x% of males are portrayed as mages" instead of, "x% of mages are male."