Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sorry to bring this back up but up until 3rd edition wasn't a fighter with 10 Strength or cleric with 5 wis impossible by the rules? I know 2nd edition had this for sure.

To some extent yes. Many classes had entry requirements of "must have at least 13 wis" etc...

however it was still pretty cake to be a special and unique snowflake by gimping your character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Of course, the RPG industry has also changed, and that's got some people down on D&D. Understandable. World of Warcraft is still top of the charts, of course, now claiming that they're on par to break 100 million players by the end of the year. What with the 6.0 changes and the latest expansion, it's easy to see why millions are willing to shell out $25 a month; that's less than a single night out to the movies, when you factor in the cost of gas.

But enough about WOW; let's talk about D&D 5th Edition!
To Begin With

there's no more delineation between Players and Dungeon Masters

The biggest noticeable change here is that we're not talking books, any more. At least, not physically. Instead, you've got one big download and then the ongoing subscription, sort of a trickle download thing like Steam used to do when Valve was still around. We'll get to that soon enough.

I'll assume you own 4th Edition for the purposes of this review. If not... good luck. A few years ago I'd have sent you down to your FLGS to grab a copy off the Used Books shelf, but of course the last one closed up shop last month, so that's not an option. You want print you'll have to check out Ebay or Amazon. Irrelevant, though, since what you REALLY want is 5e, right? Right.

So with that, let's look at the D&D Handbook, what we formerly called the Player's Handbook. Why the name change? Well, that's because there's no more delineation between Players and Dungeon Masters. Everyone is a player, and the DM is just a piece of code on the D&D server now. All automated! Sign up and create your characters, and the DM automatically generates a sequence of events for you, perfectly balanced. No prep time, no need to wait for the DM to get his crap together. More on that later. For now, let's look at what's in the D&D Handbook.

For the most part, this is the D&D we know and love. Most of what was in 4e is still here, except it's all been refined and streamlined even further.

Hit points still work the same, but healing surges have been completely revamped. Now every player can use a healing surge in place of a standard action if they want, without any penalty. You won't have to rely on the Leaders to heal you up; you can solo if you want. And best of all, healing surges reset after every encounter -- infinite healing! -- so now you and your group can charge into every encounter without having to spend a half hour discussing, planning or resource managing.

Alignment has also gotten a much needed revamp. Nine alignments were way too many in 3e, and even 5 was cumbersome in 4e, so now we're down to just three: Lawful, Good, and Unaligned. This is a heroic game about good vs evil and I'm glad these rules emphasize that.
Characters

there's no messy character generation process at all

And then there's the biggest change, which is the merging of class and race into one set of Character Packages. This is really old school, and I mean OD&D old, when elves were a class. We're back there, and it really feels natural. It's not really a surprise. I mean, 4e was already pushing certain races towards specific classes: Tiefling Warlocks, Dragonborn Paladins. Playing things like Dwarf Wizards and Gnome Barbarians never made sense, so there was never any reason to allow it. With these Character Packages, you get perfectly balanced numbers every time.

In fact, there's no messy character generation process at all. Pick a package, and your starting stats are all precalculated. Gone are the bad rolls when generating a character: 13 Strength, gone! Now you're a fighter, you get a 20 Strength automatically. Everything is balanced like it should be. Armor is picked with the best option chosen for your character (Paladins get their Plate, Rangers get their Scale, etc). Weapon specializations are picked, and weapons distributed, and now all weapons do a d10 damage so everything is balanced. No unfairness!

Here are the new Character Packages you can pick from:

Martial: 1/2 Orc Barbarian, Dwarf Fighter, Dark Elf Ranger, Halfling Rogue. Each of the martial classes has a different weapon specialization. Barbarians use axes, Fighters use sword and shield, Rangers use two swords, and Rogues use daggers; missile weapons are hand axes, crossbows, longbows and shuriken, respectively.

Divine Classes:Aasimar Cleric, 1/2 Elf Druid, Human Monk, Dragonborn Paladin. Divine classes also have different weapon paths, all using bloodless weapons. Clerics get maces, Druids get shillelaghs, Monks get bare-hand attacks, and Paladins get warhammers.

Arcane Classes: Gnome Bard, Genasi Sorcerer, Eladrin Wizard, Tiefling Warlock. Arcane classes get different implements. Bards get lutes, Sorcerers get staffs, Wizards get wands, and Warlocks get orbs.

Multi-classing? Gone. Nobody did it anyway so why keep it?
Magic and Powers

No more needless decision making or wasting time

And now let's talk about magic items. Moving the magic items to the PHB in 4e was a great decision. Who wanted the DM to mysteriously roll on magic charts to dole out surprises? In the old days sometimes you'd get something you couldn't use. In 4e the players already got to pick their own items when they were found instead of the DM, and now it's one step better: there's no need to pick! Since there's one logical set of items for each Character Package, there's no need to mess around with random charts. Here, at each level, the game tells you what you get. Level 2? Here's your +1 Magic Sword, sir! Level 5? Here's a Healing Potion and a Magic Shield. It's awesome; you get stuff as you level without having to worry about random bad stuff.

Class Powers also get a much-needed revamp and work the same way. Instead of making you agonize over a couple of choices at each level, each Character Package now gets a standard power tree that tells you what you get at each level. No more needless decision making or wasting time; each Character Package gets the same thing when they level up. The kickass part is you are totally free to role-play what the power looks like though. Like if you want it to be fire-based you can say it's fire-based. Sweet!

The best thing though is the revamped and streamlined combat. You don't have to sit around wasting time while you try to decide what power to roll for. Each time your turn comes around, you just play the power card with the highest value, and the game makes it really clear which one that is. So if you have a Level 10 power, you play that one first, and then Level 9, and so on. Once you get all the way down to Level 1, you just use that one over and over. But since every encounter is balanced to only go for about 4 or 5 rounds, that means most of the time you'll never get all the way back to your turn more than a few times. This is really cool since you are constantly using new powers each time. Of course 4e already worked sort of like this, since it always made sense to use your most powerful Encounter powers first, followed by At-Wills, etc. But that meant you always saved the Daily powers up for the last encounter of the night. Is it 11:30 and we're quitting at midnight? Daily time. BORING. Now everything is an At-Will and you just go in order through the power list. Much better.

Plus since magic items are now tied to character advancement all the numbers are added up for you on the power displays. No math required! Just roll a die, or use the pre-built in roller embedded into the document, and go for it! Spiffy!
Dungeon Maker

Entitlement is the new word in Role-Playing

Now let's talk about what used to be the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual. These have been entirely replaced with the DM (Dungeon Maker)'s Dungeon Scenario. When each player signs up their character on the server and downloads the D&D Handbook, they just plug in the name of their group or campaign and the Scenario is generated and downloaded to the book.

This Dungeon Scenario is custom-tailored to your specific group, and perfectly balanced so no one ever has a chance of dying. It's like being in your very own novel as the heroes! Each Scenario includes a brief introductory scene (you can role play if you want to but why bother, you can skip this) and then a Dungeon Delve to enter, with a monster encounter and some treasure, all pre-designed in the book and well-balanced. Kill the monster and move on. Just run through 5 two-page encounters and you get a level. 10 pages per level, 500 pages total, lots of content, and all of it is predictable, fun and fast!

And yes, you heard me right: that's at least a guaranteed level every night. Entitlement is the new word in role-playing, and Dungeons & Dragons delivers. Begone unfairness, imbalance and asymmetry! Everyone is rewarded at the same pace regardless of ability or effort. The reward is playing the game.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you'll be pleased to know that skill challenges are gone! Players still have skills of course but they don't have to mess around with role playing through them. Just roll the d20 when the game tells you and see if you passed or not. Skill challenges are way streamlined, so there's no more need to determine if you succeed or fail by accumulating 7 or 8 die rolls (TEDIOUS!). It's just one roll to see if you succeed immediately, and if you fail, then another roll to see how long it takes you to succeed.

The best part about the scenario is that every encounter is totally unique. You won't have to fight ten rooms of goblins; you'll only meet them once. Each Dungeon Delve has unique creatures and different treasure that's perfectly balanced to where your level is. No "too easy" or "too hard" encounters. And yes before you ask, (SPOILER WARNING) in the final you all fight the T-------e and when you kill him you get to reach level 30 and win the game! Then your characters get Achievements and you get to pass on your best magic item to your next character.

Of course, the next time you pick one of the twelve Character Packages, the entire scenario is re-generated for you. Next time through, you can try it in HARDCORE mode and get to level 50. I think there's even an IMMORTAL mode after that one but we haven't got that far.
In Closing

In closing, you should definitely download a copy of D&D 5e. I'll post the torrent later. Since it's a free game now (completely ad supported in the ebook, but I'll write an article soon on how to block those) there's no piracy going on with 5e. Just download, share, and play! It's an amazing game that brings a new dawn to Role-Playing, and best of all it's definitely something you can play with your friends while you're waiting for a WOW raid to start. You can level up 5 or 6 times before the raid, then play some WOW, then do a few more during the raid... You can all hit level 50 inside of a week or two of playing 5e, even if you only play it around other activities, so it's easy, it's quick and it's fun. Campaigns don't take years any more - just a month. With D&D 5e, it's really like an epic fantasy story that you can always win. Adventure, excitement, balance, and awesomeness.

A++++++++ Would Play Again!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Haha how can you type so much just for a "4e is WoW" troll?

The best part is not that post itself, but the 38 page thread on RPG.net fellating the author.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
This needs to be posted, cookingwithgygax.txt

Cookbooks are a lot like Dungeons & Dragons and other role-playing games. They contain seemingly rigid rules that, in practice, require a certain amount of adaptation for your own tastes.

So how come cooking gets its own TV channel and role-playing games don't even get a show on G4? Maybe the population at large doesn't want to pretend to be a half-elf. Maybe RPGs take more imagination than most people

However, it just might have something to do with the role-playing community. If geeks talked about cookbooks the way they talk about RPG books, the results would not be pretty:

Posted: 12:15 a.m. by LordOrcus I'm so mad that there's a new edition of The Better Joy Cookbook out. Thanks for making my old copy obsolete, you greedy hacks! For five years now, my friends have been coming over for my eggplant Parmesan, and now I'm never going to be able serve it again unless I shell out 35 bucks for the latest version.

Posted: 12:42 a.m. by KathraxisHey, I have a question! When you preheat the oven, can you start it before you measure out the ingredients, or do you have to do it afterward? Please answer quickly, my friends and I have been arguing about it for four hours and we're getting pretty hungry.

Posted: 12:48 a.m. by Goku1440 I found an awesome loophole! On page 242 it says "Add oregano to taste!" It doesn't say how much oregano, or what sort of taste! You can add as much oregano as you want! I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Posted: 1:02 a.m. by barrybarrybarry I can't believe I spent 35 dollars on a cookbook that doesn't have a recipe for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. When I buy a cookbook, I expect it to tell me how to cook. And don't tell me to just make a PBJ myself, I'm not some sort of hippy artist pretentious "freeform cook."

Posted: 1:08 a.m. by jvmkanelly Where are the recipes for chatting with friends while cooking? Where are the recipes for conversation over the meal? When I throw a dinner party, I want it to be a PARTY. I guess the idiots who use the Better Joy Cookbook just cook and eat in stony silence, never saying a word or even looking each other in the eye.

Posted: 1:23 a.m. by LordOrcus Hey, guess what? They're coming out with The Better Joy Book of Hors D'oeuvres. It just goes to show that the publishers are a bunch of corporate greedheads who care more about money than they do about cooking. Is it too much to ask for a single cookbook that contains all possible recipes?

Posted: 1:48 a.m. by specsheetHey, everyone. I can tell just by reading the recipe that if you prepare eggs benedict as written, the sauce will separate. My mom always said the other kids made fun of me because they were jealous of my intelligence, so I must be right. Everyone who's saying that they followed the recipe and it came out perfect is either lying, or loves greasy separated hollandaise sauce.

Posted: 1:52 a.m. by IAmEdAs I have pointed out MANY TIMES, several of these recipes contain raisins, and I, like most people, am ALLERGIC to raisins! And before you tell me to substitute dried cranberries, I will reiterate that I am discussing the recipes AS WRITTEN. I do not appreciate your ATTACKING ME with helpful suggestions!

Posted: 2:12 a.m. by HerodotusI just have to laugh at the recipe for Beef Wellington. In Wellington's day, ovens didn't have temperature settings! And pate de foie gras certainly didn't come in cans. It's like the authors didn't even care about replicating authentic early 19th century cooking techniques!

Posted: 2:17 a.m. by LordOrcus I have read the new Better Joy Cookbook and I am devastated to my very core. Their macaroni and cheese recipe, the very macaroni and cheese I've been making since I was in college, has been ravaged and disfigured and left bleeding on the page. Where once it contained only cheddar cheese, now the recipe calls for a mix of cheddar and Colby. It may contain macaroni, and it may contain cheese, but it is not macaroni and cheese. This is a slap in the face and a knife in the gut. You have lost me, Better Joy Cookbook. I would bid you goodbye, but I wish you nothing but the pain and rage you have delivered unto me.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
TG Discussion: Oh Great Magnet, give me an honest opponent worth fighting, at least, instead of these scum!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
requesting the link to the thirty page monstrosity on rape in D&D, I lost it. tia.

edit:Found it
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=415463

there is nothing in that thread that does not belong here. Not a single post

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 18, 2009

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

AndItsAllGone posted:

Traditional Games: A short puppet show available for viewing.

empty quotin' dis

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

5.) Too many weird things. Tieflings, Dragonborn, Shifters, Goliaths, Warlords, Avengers, etc... We're early in the life of 4E, and there are too many non-core things flowing around. These weird peripheral things usually didn't show up until all of the core materials had been fleashed out. It is weird to see 'Splat Book' material when we don't have Frost Giants, Monks, Psionics, etc... yet.

Too many wierd things has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard said about 4E, doesn't matter what edition of D&D you compare it too

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Weird: Tieflings, Dragonborn, Shifters, Goliaths, Warlords

Normal: Thrikreen, Dromite, Were-rat, (Psychic)Half-Giant, Soulknife

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=409570

I hope I understood Killfalcon correctly and the red was directed at non table top games --

Good point. I've read most of the Gor books but its been years and my knowledge is rusty so bear with

if you used My Life with Master a women who loses (would be destroyed or whatever the conditions are in MLWM) accepts her slavery and maybe even dies willingly (Master may be cruel)

As they spiral down-- the farther dragged down they are the more the come to love Master -- kind of sick but it would work with the right players.

Sorcerer and Sorcerer and Sword could be used for Gor as well -- Demons could be Slave Girls (Men feeling overwhelmed by their slaves is a common Gor theme) or Cities (What demands will Ko-Ro-Ba put on you?) or even service to the Priest Kings (Die the Flame Death!)

Any "trad" RPG can be played on GOR -- a band of Warriors or Assassins or any of the other silly things (Tuchucks, Vikings, Eskimos!) would make a perfectly good adventuring party -- the whole S&M subtext would be pushed to the back and instead it would be raiding and fighting and politics. Sacking Ar could be fun

I think GURPS 4e with Martial Arts would be great as the armed styles would differentiate cities nicely.

Savage Worlds would be OK as well -- you could have City based edges and something like Pirates of the Spanish Main Sword Schools.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Fenarisk posted:

Seriouspost

What loving players talk about Otyugh waste habits and why sewers are not a proper realistic macrocosm?

All my players do is crack jokes and decide "That villain talks like Billy Mays" (when I say he has a grating, if not booming voice) if there's a much more light hearted night.

The only way to answer this question would be if RPG.net did a post pics thread

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Mikan posted:

btw Anima is even more spergy than AD&D2

That game loves d100 tables like its spanish creators love japan

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I recently received a call from a friend who was all excited about the upcoming release of 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons. Since I have not gotten my hands on a rule book yet (well OK no one has except maybe some play testers) I can't talk about the quality of the game or the mechanics in the game. What I can talk about is Wizards of the Coast and their transparent attempts to empty our pockets. Don't get me wrong I do not begrudge anyone making money. I have happily spent hundreds of dollars a year on gaming supplements for most of my life, and I hope the companies I spend money on succeed because they are producing products I enjoy. What I am talking about is how WotC has started the disturbing trend of releasing a new version of D&D every three or four years.

First they released 3rd Edition in 2000. The game was flawed from the start. It was less than a month after it came out that the group I played with started making up house rules to repair its inadequacies. Three years later they released version 3.5 which "fixed" the flawed system. The worst thing is many of the things that were fixed had to have been discovered in play testing if we discovered them in less than a month of play. You will not be able to convince me they didn’t know the original 3.0 was flawed. Then they started re-printing all the books they had released to date upgraded for 3.5. This was nothing more than programmed obsolescence in my opinion. They sucked us in to 3rd edition… then "fixed" it so we would buy all the books for it twice. And now that D&D 3.5 is going strong they announce that 4th edition is on the horizon. Other than there being WAY too many books out for it to keep track of D&D 3.5 is fine as it is. There is no need of a 4th Edition, and this is just another attempt to sucker us all into buying the books we already own for a third time! They will just be revamped as 4th Edition.

I personally do not intend to spend one penny on 4th edition, and I strongly suggest everyone else do the same (or not do the same as the case may be). There are better games out there than D&D anyway, or keep playing 3rd edition if you like it. Just because WotC is releasing a new edition does not mean we should buy into it. It makes me sick to see my fellow gamer geeks taken advantage of, and I hate Wizards of the Coast for ripping us off. I gave up giving WotC money for Magic the Gathering a long time ago because I realized that it was just a trap designed to get more and more of my money. Now they are doing the same thing with D&D and I do not intend to let them take advantage of me. 4th Edition is specifically being released to make all our old stuff obsolete, and I’m not falling for it.

Once again proof Wizard’s of the Coast is Evil! The Wal-mart of the gaming Industry!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
My gaming group tried out 4th edition - we've nicknamed it Wizardhammer 40K. I wanted to give it a chance before I made up my mind about it. So far, I see no redeeming features. The ONLY thing I liked is the setup for races. The addition of the dragonborn and tiefling give players who like monstrous characters something to pick from that you can play at first level with no crazy ECL. Outside of that - nothing. The spellcasting system castrates wizards, and the clerics' uniform abilities regardless of diety take the fun out of playing one. Plus, healing surges for all classes take away one of the major support roles for the cleric. The fighter gets screwed because you can only use things like Cleave once in an encounter, and once you've declared it, it's used whether you land the hit or not. The ritual system that allows any class to cast if they take the rituals feat also sucks because the expense and time for each of the rituals makes them useless in game. AND last but not least (for this rant anyway), the action points system in 4th edition is quite odd. In Eberron it was easy to figure out how many action points you had, and when and how they could be used. For 4th, apparently, you only really ever have one. Sure, you can get an additional action point after 2 encounters, but by then you've most likely spent the one you had before, so - you get one. You might as well just take 6 hours off in game and call it good. Eesh. I think I'm sticking with 3.5. Never ever wanna play Wizardhammer again. Ever.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

LGD posted:

If you will recall, a bonus to breaking down doors was one of the wonderful class features they gave fighters the option of taking to fix their "dead levels" in late 3.5 so really it's just another example of the horrible power inflation so prevalent in 4e. To say nothing of the obvious infringement on the 3.x fighter's clearly defined and important niche in a party.

That was Barbarians you tool

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Ashenai posted:

You're saying that like any part of this story ever actually happened.

The most amusing part is that metafilter shrugs it off and continues their TFR debate.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I love the grognard divisions,

type A: D&D 4e isn't real because there aren't rules for breaking down a door, how the hell does a fighter do a lot of damage in a strike like a wizard could before its totally unrealistic

type B: D&D 4 isn't real D&D because there are logical encounter plans and the magic items aren't random enough the inconsistencies are what make it D&D and it ruins my life if I can't be a black dragon wyrmling psion/Urpreist/illithid slayer.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
hay guyz I had a great idea for an RPG based around http://www.vendettacomic.com/

i think i should run it in Maid though i have never played

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Drox posted:

Fast food is a small, highly competitive industry with MANY barriers to entry for the unprepared applicffffffffffff

When serving food there should be a metaphorical wall between the FP (Food Preparer) and the consumer, with that in mind I have several tools which will make me stand out as the premier FP in the area...

*puts on stupid mask*

"Do you want fries with that?"

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Seftir posted:

Care to elaborate of Complete Psionic? I'm just curious.

It was a poo poo product with numerous errors and eratta for balance that actually made things worse

also

rpgpundit posted:

RPGPundit Concedes the Point

I have long cast doubt on this blog and elsewhere, as to the actual commercial viability of D&D 4e. I have NEVER stated that it wasn't viable, but I did state that it was unclear thus far how well it was actually doing.

As of now, my position is that given all current evidence, it is doing well enough to last. The sales of the PHBII would give evidence to that.

Note that this does NOT mean that it is "doing as well as WoTC wants", or doing what Hasbro HOPED 4e would achieve. The answer to the first of those is probably not, and to the second "definitely not".

But it is doing ok. Just ok may not be enough for Wizards, or Hasbro. But no one can claim as such that its a flop.

I was going to post this a bit over a week ago, and back then, that would've been that; but now, in light of recent events, I'm starting to wonder if it really even needs to be a flop. With the type of people who are running Hasbro at this point, I won't be surprised if they run it into the ground anyways.
After all, that's what happened to TSR. 2e was not a flop; it was never what 1e or the basic set was, but it was NOT by any means a failure. And yet Lorraine Williams managed to run it into the ground. Greg Leeds might manage to do the same thing here.

RPGPundit

Currently Smoking: Moretti Rhodesian + Hearth & Home's Namaste

also read his "interview" with Leeds

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Mikan posted:

So now that I got you to read the thread the actual idea is only peripherally related. Lots of people are gonna think I am a heretic, a democrat, republican or some equally unsavory thing, but why not?

Martial classes work fine in heroic and for most of paragon, but why the heck does some dumb jock get to do as much damage as a dude raining meteors down on your head? I mean after a little bit you can only swing a sword so fast and so hard before magic is pretty much involved.

I think the idea was that you took demigod as a martial character and thus were more then mortal, but a +2 to Str doesn't make you Hercules.

So why not? I think the next game I run will ban the pansy martial classes so that the real rear end kickers get a chance to shine.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

*breathes*

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

really where is this gem from

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Man remember how good the mounted combat rules were in 3rd ed.? cause I don't.

also:
Ok so no archer, no knight, no two weapon fighters. Lets just make perhaps the most iconic fantasy character of them all, Conan....nope, can't do that, no barbarian class at all. 1st ed didn't have one either in the PHB...but it was written before Arnold made his first appearance as our favorite loin clothed wearing sword nut, so I guess you can't fault them for covering an iconic figure that wasn't actually iconic yet.

Conan didnt inspire D&D because arnold is the only conan it is excusable.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Ashenai posted:

I can't make a bow-specialized fighter like Robin Hood, also I can't make a bow-specialized thief like Robin Hood loving CHECKMATE 4E WHORES

ps just found out i also can't make a bow-specialized warlock like robin hood what is this chicanery

I gauge the worthiness of systems by how easily I can make classes which were not meant to be robin hood into robin hood

I mean I dont even comprehend this paragraph.
Well how about rangers. Well I have my Drizzt clone like editions 2, 3 and 3.5, my Legolas clone like 3.5. But no flexibility to make my personal favorite, the one the 1st ed ranger was more based on Strider. In 3 and 3.5 the system was flexible enough that even though I was forced to pick up the skills of Drizzt or Legolas, I could spend my feats to give me the skills set of Strider. This ed isn't flexible at all, and you can't deviate from the 2 and only 2 builds covered for each class in your PHB.

rangers that do everything he wants rangers to do aren't ranger-y enough?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Mikan posted:

shammy, pally

pally is much faster, but its more fun to just append adin to whatever they're playing a pally as.

Hospitalieradin, radiant servant of peloradin

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Mikan posted:

If one of my paladin players started referring to himself as a charadin or retadin or peloradin or whatever I'd probably kick him out of the game~
:goonsay:

just kiddin man, its p. stupid, like 3 levels of fighter

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Seftir posted:

I know. First time I picked up a PHB in 3.5 I told the DM I basically wanted to be a ranger with a horse and he told me that in dungeon delving that's not going to really work. I was disappointed. Did I post a 1000+ word rant on the internet about it? gently caress no.

I think the only thing that fighting mounted gave you (unless your mount was a loving dragon) was a damage multiplier on a charge.

Still, this thread amazes me with what people will whine about instead of just ignoring it and playing their games.

You can build a half decent charger with a bizarre combination of plus to charge items. The build is made irrelevant though as soon as you realize that the battle leaper feat makes your move action into an attack and you proceed to be a final fantasy dragoon.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Seftir posted:

Oh, I know all about that from the optimization boards on WOTC. Guy made a half-orc barbarian frenzied berserker with all those crazy feats and magic items that give him a full attack when he charged. Would make upwards 16,000 damage in a round with +60 to hit on each one. Without crits.

The best part is that build is still rendered useless by a straight wizard or cleric of equiv. level

D&D 3.5

gentlemen

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Mikan posted:

4ed seems so restrictive. You build your fighter and have only 2 build choices without buying a splat book. Take your 3.5 book out, build a fighter. I bet you can build a fighter who uses a bow as his primary weapon, rides a horse with a lance as his, uses a two hander, goes for the classic sword and board build, or uses two weapons. All just in the 3.5 PHB, heck you could combine them at higher levels going with a horse archer, a duel weapon guy who can effective whip out a bow and engage very effectively at range one you have enough feats to do both well. But 4ed with it's book you have two options and that's it. Heck want a duel wielding cleric, you can do that in 3.5 with just the PHB if you really want it. Not so in 4e, not sure you ever will get that either.
I like how a standard 4e sucks argument is "I can't make fighter into..." and insert some niche that there were two or three classes in 3.5 that filled better than fighter. And dual wield cleric? really?
Also lol at the "you only have 2 options"

quote:

Anyway to me even worse is the cost. 2 PHBs already, 3 DMGs very likely, power sources books needed to give your classes any flexibility, equipments books needed because of how lacking in it the PHB1 is, and MMs that are little more then stat sheets (kind of like the back of the 1ed DMG...). Some defenders of 4ed make the claim WToC hates splat books, and there is no core in 4ed....those two seem like such a scam to me. First WoTC sells a set of three books it calls them core books so clearly they are stating there is a core, and second they have produced a handful of splat books already, so I am not seeing the hate. Only thing I see is these splat books are more needed then ever because of how little the "core" set covers compared to previous editions and because of how inflexible the "core" classes are without splat. But again the defenders cry out, "Oh verily but thou canst procure thee download freely and it is very good we do declare". It is, but you need to pay a fee to be able to use it past level 3, or get updates as they come. That is a what yearly/monthly fee? (I don't know if I wanted to pay a re-occuring fee I would play an MMO so frankly I saw that and I just quit it.) 4ed does come off as a real money grab with little value for each dollar to me, I am not against companys making money, but this reaches to me the scam level.

So it has too many books in too short a time that players "need"

pre:
Player's Handbook	Core Game Product	07/2003
Dungeon Master's Guide	Core Game Product	07/2003
Monster Manual  	Core Game Product	07/2003
Core Rulebook Gift Set	Core Game Product	09/2003
Book of Exalted Deeds	Accessory       	10/2003
Underdark       	Accessory       	10/2003
Miniatures Handbook	Accessory       	10/2003
Draconomicon    	Accessory       	11/2003
Complete Warrior	Accessory       	11/2003
Unearthed Arcana	Accessory       	02/2004
Player's Guide Faerûn	Accessory       	03/2004
Map Folio One   	Accessory       	04/2004
Exp. Psionics Handbook	Accessory       	04/2004
Complete Divine  	Accessory       	05/2004
pre:
Player’s Handbook	Core Game Product	06/2008
Dungeon Master’s Guide	Core Game Product	06/2008
Monster Manual		Core Game Product	06/2008
4th Edition Gift Set	Core Game Product	06/2008
FRealms Campaign Guide	Accessory		08/2008
FRealms Player's Guide	Accessory		09/2008
Adventurer's Vault	Accessory		09/2008
Martial Power		Accessory		11/2008
Draconomicon		Accessory		11/2008
Manual of the Planes	Accessory		12/2008
Open Grave		Accessory		01/2009
Dungeon Delve		Accessory		03/2009
Player's Handbook II	Accessory		03/2009
Arcane Power		Accessory		04/2009
14 for both huh thats funny, i wonder how many of those contain player options in each category...

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think people try to read the powers. They just hear that fighter has powers and imagine he must glow and do dbz poo poo.

The powers for martial classes are very hollywood I'll admit but far from "magic"

Still it is kinda hard to read the cool poo poo "fighters" do in fantasy books and imagine that that is what you do by full attacking each round, or cheesing together charge/chain trip combos. 4e really captured the feel of "I am a dude with a fuckoff big sword, check out all the cool poo poo I can do with it"

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Amish Ninja posted:

you see, 3e didn't have limitations to characters. i once played this deaf blind and retarded wizard once. he was awesome. now i have to play a wizard with a high intelligence gently caress 4E GEEZ

He was still more useful than the party's fighter.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I don't know why one would need an RPG lexicon, but I am fairly certain that noone has ever said half of these terms...

RPG.net wiki posted:

Minmei
This is a derogatory comment towards a player character which is usually useless in a specific game because of a focus on an area of skill the game doesn't often involve. Ex: "Your Vagabond character was so useless in the Rifts game last night. You're such a Minmei."
The term comes from the Robotech TV series character of the same name. Minmei was a beauty queen and singer who, at one point, proved instrumental in defeating the Zentraedi armada in that series, but she was useless and irritating the remainder of the time.
"Minmei" and "Minmay" are two separate things. The former is the name of the irritating and untalented character from the Macross era of Robotech. The latter is the name of the significantly less irritating and more musically skilled character from the original, non-Robotech related, Macross anime. Using the wrong spelling can get you lynched in Macross fandom circles.

RIP lynched by the macross fandom circles

quote:

One Roll Engine
A unique dice system designed by Greg Stolze and used in the game Godlike. Rather than trying to match a particular target number, the player rolls a number of dice based on their character's competence and are deemed to have succeeded if two or more of those dice roll the same value. The unique property of this system is that a single roll delivers two results: the number of dice that matched, and the value they matched on.
Note: this system is copyrighted, so you must seek the author's permission to use it in any game you are designing.
(Drive by Note by a non-lawyer: Copyrights protect expressions, patents protect ideas. If you copied the exact text this person wrote in his book into your RPG book, you'd be violating copyright, if you reworded it like the example above does, you don't. The gentleman would have to have a patent on his idea, in which case you'd have to get a license to use it in which ever region he has a patent on it in (patents aren't world-wide) if you wished to use it in that region. A search on the US patent database would turn this up if he has put a patent on it in the US.)
IANAL but oh noes someones ideas

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Also this thread...
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=443777

oh god this thread

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Except you didn't. Because a Cleric was mandatory, and so you got the "UNLIMITED HEALING" in the form of 5 minute adventuring days followed by 8 hours of rest after the Cleric had dumped his healing load.

I guess the "REALISM" of this recovery system is what this person loves. Nevermind that it is not possible for a commoner (1d4 hitpoints) to sustain an injury that it takes more than 4 days of full bed rest to recover completely from.

To be quite fair it was a lot easier to kill your players in second ed, which I think is the point he's flailing to make.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

I wish I could stand to go digging through the RPG net archive to find the 20th level milkmaid thread. I think that was around the 3.5, but it might have been earlier.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=4843&page=14

Is that it?

Edit: God this thread is so bad.

"D&D 3 is all combat, it is literally impossible to roleplay with it"

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Kayumi posted:

The gist of it really seems to be that either the character sheet and the rolling become the important part of the game, in which case if you've built a character differently from how the adventure writer expected you might find yourself less able to participate (or the GM will be frustrated and have to modify things extensively to suit your particular party's strengths and weaknesses) or, alternately, the GM is going to fudge things in order to keep the story moving along, in which case he's wondering what the point of even bothering to have the character to begin with is.

It's a really long and poorly organized way of trying to discuss the concept of game versus narrative versus simulation, I think.

And he wonders why his friends don't want to RP with him anymore.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Kayumi posted:

That guy's whining about his milkmaid made me try and figure out the best possible build for the combat machine milkmaid. Anyone know what the proficiency bonus for buckets is, and whether they can be used off-hand?

Monk/Factotum/Drunken Master

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

I feel kinda bad right about now for once having a character concept for a paraplegic. In my defense he was a Druid who used wildshape to overcome his crippled human form and not be a complete drag on the rest of the party.

Almost every third ed caster I've played has had the STR and DEX scores of a parapalegic, there are plenty of ways to RP disadvantages that don't drag down your party. Honestly if someone came to me with a milkmaid who had no business adventuring I'd only take it if they understood we're going to be playing D&D, kill people, take their stuff. Not Harvest Moon. If someone brings a crippled scholar my question would be the same "what the gently caress do you think we're planning on doing. If you want to compose epic sonnets and debate moral right in game, go LARP Vampire, thats not the point of a game called Dungeons and Dragons."

Systems having versatility is nice, but honestly every RPG has a focus for a reason (except GURPS which has a reason for its lack of focus)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

lastexyle posted:

"As you enter the renovated temple, there are many tables, benches, and beds, all around you find only dragonborn men and women socializing in seeming equal status.

This is honestly the most wtf part of this post.

How uncommon and unsettling men and women socializing... as equals!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

God there is so much offensive about that post as a gay guy and a gamer I don't know where to begin.

I'd begin with the assumptions about gender roles and implicitly consider the bad prose and the awkward situation endemic to this mans condition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
That thread is just bad

Bad posted:

I had a gay villain in one game. Male drow. The party had been captured and taken before their new master. What they saw was a decidedly dominant male drow with a naked human male on all fours before his throne being used as a footstool. I described the whole ball-gag and S&M get-up just to get everyone's skin crawling. (They thought that their new 'master' was going to be a female drow.) Standing just behind the throne were two younger males, not quite adult. ("They're so much more pliable when you raise them right, hmmm? I can't wait until they've left childhood behind...") Oh, you should have seen everyone squirming!

Fortunately, this was a very mature group and they understood that I was handing them a villain from whom mere escape wouldn't be good enough. They'd have to kill him, and oh did they want to! He kept using phrases like "I'll have to break you horses before you can be properly ridden." Of course, I'd never force such a thing on the PCs, but it gave the session a level of desperation that I haven't seen since.

Now people, we have to thank the OP for not being stereotypical, just have the villain be subtly gay

dumb posted:

Originally Posted by Falstyr View Post
An extravagantly gay dragonborn with fairy wings in a Scottish skirt (Kilt) or tutu who is receiving a blow job letting out a very high pitched roar (lack of testosterone does influence voice)
This is what I was expecting from the OP upon seeing the title of the thread. Kudos for keeping it clean OP.

The quoted material is bigoted and stereotypical, not representative. Captain Jack Harkness is a good mention of an openly gay character who has none of those traits. Although the actor has worn kilts.

For the OP, I want to mention that one way to clearly show the villain is gay is to think of all the stuff you would expect a straight Villain to be doing, and switch genders of any female/male characters. Another way to be clear about the character, and a lot more subtle, is to drop comments in during play.
"The maid stands out in your memory as one of the most unattractive women you've ever seen doing that job."
"The tactician, although short, appears to work out as much as the guards do."
"The King winks at you, as he mentions there are other punishments well-behaved prisoners receive."

And of course, since dragonborn were used, page long derail bout dragonborn sex organs

fucker posted:

Since the king is a dragonborn then dragonborn sexually reproduction should follow that of most reptiles in that the sex organs are very small and almost in a state of hirbantion till mating season. This is due to the animals not spending energy on them till they need them. Thus when mating season rolls around they become enlarged for the mating season. Also reptiles along with almost all birds, amphibs and fish have a cloaca which is a opening at the base of the tail where waste is excrated from the body. This is here the eggs are also laid and such

As for dragonborn you can assume they have a reptile reproduction system. Since they hatch from eggs and such.

However it you game and your the dm, But i wonder the reason for having such a overt introdution and all. and the reason for it.