Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
Skimming back a few pages I just noticed that I was quoted by ProfessorCirno herself!

This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Truly my grognardoscity has reached OD&D, nay, Chainmail proportions.

Now back to playing my Magic: The Gathering Final Fantasy X Monopoly 4e wizard thief doggie fighter! Crimson Ruby Blade Opponent Bodyslide Daily-but-Non-Vancian Exploit by One, Graymalkin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

NecroMonster posted:

Saving this in case he deletes.
Why would I want to delete it? Wrath of Ashardalon is awesome!

Oh wait ... you mean grognards.txt isn't for grognards?

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Chaltab posted:

Except in 3.X/Pathfinder, it's actually encoded into the rules! Wizards can cast Haste, Stop Time, and probably a dozen others I'm forgetting to make sure they get to go before the Fighter can get his sword drawn.

That's an excellent point, Chaltab. I've never actually played a 3.x game to that high a level ... does it really become a problem?

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
Yeah, I guess that's true.

I'm playing a Warblade (from Bo9S) in a friend's 3.x game. We've kicked off at level 8 so I'm pretty keen to see how she plays compared to the wizard in the group.

We've played a few levels so far and currently she's ... underperforming, but I think that's more of an issue with some of the 3.x rules.

'S funny ... don't enjoy 4e but here I am playing the 4e proto-class.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

NecroMonster posted:

To be fair, 2E wizards aren't a lot weaker. Save or dies are a lot weaker, but the class is still walking bullshit incarnate.

You don't think that a good DM could help balance that out? Without resorting to mechanics chicanery, of course.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Of course it's an issue with the rules, what else is going to influence how well something performs?

Bad luck (I've been rolling a lot of ones this game). Poor roleplaying (I've made some ... questionable choices). DM fiat (I'm pretty sure I get to roll initiative even if the DM's thugs have a mad-on for me ;-) )

Lots of things, I think.

But I wasn't really specific. Let's just say that building a PC with a great crit range doesn't work out too well when you suddenly find yourself up against undead in 3.x.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Let's hear some suggestions for how a good DM could balance a character who can summon anything, transform entire landscapes instantly, turn into anything, go anywhere, and put their enemies into a bottle forever against a guy who has a length of sharp steel.

Just an open and honest question, MM, because I was interested in your opinion. I wasn't trying to start an edition war or anything (zzing!).

But ok, I'll give it a go ... if mechanics can't be changed to suddenly create a power balance then the only alternatives for the DM are: a) cheat (though this is still changing mechanics I guess); b) initiate the WOPR protocol; c) plan combats so like challenges like (still requires some finangalling) ; or d) rely less on mechanics (ie roleplay/story ie the ultimate "cheat").

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
I've witnessed this during an OD&D one-shot where (almost) all the PCs were level 10 (which is a pretty big deal in OD&D). Players drew their PC at random.

Half-way through the battle (the PCs were storming the Keep on the Borderland) the person who drew the fighter said, "Fighters certainly do lack a little ... something don't they?"

Now did that player have fun? Yes, absolutely.

Could he have had more fun if he could do something extra? I'd say yes.

Did he need a deck of powers to choose from to bring him the ultimate in orgasmic RPG pleasure? No.

Now OD&D fighters do get an ability or two but certainly nothing that compares to a wizard's arcane potential.

Addendum: Interestingly, the only survivor was the wizard (who betrayed the party towards endgame like all good wizards should).

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
There was a bit of sarcasm laden in there Gambor so apologies if I mislead.

I'm not quite sure why you have the impression that I didn't think it was a problem that the fighter didn't have any more pep. I was actually agreeing with Asimo there.

I'm just wondering how much or what kind. Can the fighter be amped up to a mage without having to resort to using what are effectively spells but with a more martial sounding name? And can the be done with having the same number of "spells"?

Just curious. Stupid but amusing edition wars aside, a lot of the guys in this thread seem to have some good ideas about RPGs 'n stuff.

I totally agree with you about the wizard ... it wasn't a surprise at all. I was kind of hoping that would be seen that I was, once again, agreeing with Asimo.

I dunno ... am I not using the right lingo? Do I need to lace my posts with words like "exploits" and stuff so the anti-grogs grok me?

I don't think so ... you guys (and girls hopefully) are smarter than that.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

NecroMonster posted:

The real strength of 4e isn't the pile of abilities everyone gets, it's the codification, via game mechanics, of party roles. A fighter can actually be the guy that protects his allies, without having to rely on single character wide hallways, doorways, mindless enemies, or willful underplaying of enemies on the part of the DM.

Anyway, this feels off topic, so I'm done.

Yeah all fair points Necro. I'll clock out too. Thanks for the feedback.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
I quite like this idea for non-critical encounters or events. I'm trying to cut down the amount of dice rolling in my own games and already use the, "Oh, your Strength is 18? Yes, you open the pickle jar." tactic.

Of course players love to roll dice and sometimes it's good to let them roll the bones, even if you know there's no chance of failure, just to keep 'em guessing.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
Those whole thread is so meta I can't tell who's quoting whom. I'm now so confused I'm starting to think that half the guys sperging here are actually closet grogs.

Still, it's a good laff, innit?

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
Some kind of loving cat that can open door handles using telekinesis - bringing gamers together since 2012.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
You had me at gold-mining sluice box.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Mikan posted:

The worst thing on RPGnet is the guy with the sig
i'm one of the lucky ones. I married a "gamer-girl".

It creeps me out every time I see it.

You and me both, buddy. You and me both.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's a Kickstarter'd megadungeon by the guy who does the Grognardia blog.
Yawn. Megadungeons are the boringest things ever.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Boring or not, they really don't take a ton of skill to make. Apparently in the "sample run" the Grognardia guy put up, the party ran into a lot of empty rooms.
Yeah I think that's my point. To make a megadungeon actually fun after the first few levels takes a lot of effort. Otherwise you're just using the dungeon room stamp tool to auto-populate stuff. Which leads to lots of empty rooms.

I seem to recall someone's play-through of Worlds Largest Dungeon which involved a lot of fights with lurkers in very similar rooms to the point that the DM handwaved them. Weee!

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
Yep, that was a good read. Particularly the woes of his Traveller game.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Uneathed Arcana posted:

Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter (Evocation)

The material components of the spell are a small feather, a tiny wooden paddle, and a minute tort. The tort is hurled at the subject, while the feather is waved in one hand and the paddle is tapped against the posterier of the spell caster.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
It's all fun and games until you find yourself quoted in grognards.txt. And then you just recursively implode in a shower of un-crayoned polyhedrons.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Mikan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_5QhOMFesk

The Warlord is superfluous and the concept was better handled by the Pathfinder Cavalier
This ... this is ... what? What's happening???

Did we need 3 minutes of inane preamble and beard eating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Amethyst posted:

Nah, OD&D is cool. I can say from experience that it's far easier to get newbies into OD&D than 4e. It's rules light, and not very grognardy at all. The original books even talk about reskinning.

I ran OD&D a few times at one of the cons here in Australia. One of the best tables I had was a 50/50 mix of guys and girls who were also a mix of 3e fans, 4e fans plus one newbie who had never gamed before.

They loved it. But they did get to blow up a toad god with dynamite (my versilimitude!) so what's not to love?

What really amazed me (aside from the fact that one of the 3e fans tried to start an edition war, pre-game) was how, once we got rolling, not a single player pined for something from their favoured edition (not even the fighters). I can't explain why that was but there you go.