Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Etherwind posted:

Ten sessions later I had a thirty-page letter delivered to the PC who asked the question, containing a detailed answer.

you need to post dis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Bobulus posted:

By Grabthar's Hammer... :colbert:

I went through 30 posts just so I could post then then you come in and ruin everything :argh:

BY GRABTHARS HAMMER, I SHALL BE AVENGED! :black101:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I restricted my first game to just the core three books for the sake of simplicity until everyone gets a hang of the system and combat. Any future games I run will be open to eeevvveeerryyythiiiing :buddy:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I actually went out and bough the DMG, and actually sat down to read it, instead of skimming a .pdf. My god, it actually does use anime as an example in some parts. Suddenly all these baseless grognardy complaints makes sense now.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

If you want your monsters to have full PC stats just stat them up as PC's and toss them into a fight what is so hard to understand about this :psyduck:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Whats the background on the Corgi race? Was it some TG inside joke? Would you say it is at all balanced? :3:

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 30, 2009

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Didn't we have this discussion in the Horrible Experiences thread last week?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Fuego Fish posted:

goddamn 4chan always thinks it can do things better than me :argh:

Click here for the full 850x1100 image.

This version isn't nearly as good :colbert:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Are there established racial slurs for fantasy races? In Star Trek, calling a Romulan "pointy-ears" was a racial slur, aren't they like space elves or something?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I love the 'Chaos Dragon'. You could probably have some fun actually doing that in a real game if you made up rules for all the things it can actually do. And you have to defeat it before it gets bored and walks off the board.

I once played a game of Floorhammer in which a Beagle Class Titan deepstriked mid-game.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I stat up all of my imaginary girlfriends.

I have five :c00lbert:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Newsflash: Companies release products in order to make money. More at 11.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

let's play guess the weight:

My take on this friendly discussion dispenses with the action figure analogy for another. One that I believe is representative of the as yet unstated core of this issue: DEPTH.

Previous editions of D&D and other RPG's (including some current ones I imagine) present themselves as being the gaming experience equivalent of reading (or writing) a novel. Lots of character and world background, intricate plots, asides that add flavor but don't really advance the story, etc.

The 4th Edition D&D rules are like watching the movie version of that book. Quick paced, action oriented, slimmer plots, world building and character sketched out in broad strokes, etc.

Is there anything WRONG with enjoying the movie version? Not at all. I love movies. Own more than 2000 of them myself. I also own a lot of books too. Avid reader.

Hypothetical question: Know anyone who loves LOTR the movies but has never read the books? Who likes the books more? Who likes the movies more?

Who's wrong? Wrong question. Who's RIGHT? They all are.

Is the guy who watches the movies but hasn't read the books missing out on the DEPTH of LOTR. I think so. Does it change his affection for the movies? Not one iota.

I think it's easier to come to 4th Edition D&D as opposed to earlier editions of the game and play it and enjoy it on the "Movie" level but miss out on the "Novel" experience. And maybe not even realize that there was a deeper experience to be had. To play it as a "board game PLUS (+)" for lack of a better term.

Anyway, that's my take. Opinions?

DCL

Maybe my inner grognard is showing but this seems like a fairly reasonable argument.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

grognard posted:

can't have the corrupted court mage who's slowly mind controlling everyone in the castle, but who dies to a young brat of a prince who sticks a sword in him.

Make him a minion :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

10 foot pole as an embedded component :shlick:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Of course, I'll try and give him the benefit of the doubt when I meet up with him at a "neutral restaurant".

I only eat at Chaotic Good restaurants.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I was one-shotted by the lich before my turn.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

RPG.net posted:

Oh, and the other character is a Mantid who falls in love with her enemies, stalks them, eats their heads and then gets pregnant - with Mantid babies, but she needs that stimulus to ovulate.

This is awesome :colbert:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

So something thats been bugging me. Grognards like to say 4th edition is an MMO on paper. How do they feel about DDO being 3.5?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

So what was it like when the Diablo supplement for 3.5 came out? :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

mandrake776 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtDWShtflUo

I don't even know what the gently caress.

This was hilarious :colbert:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Ashenai posted:

You guys are kind of overreacting there, that has to be the most overused clip ever for making dumb parodies about everything in the world.

The movie it's from is pretty cool though v:shobon:v

I seem to recall a website where you could generate those Hitler movie subtitles.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Danhenge posted:

magic

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Drox posted:

Why does everyone care so much about the artwork? I hardly look at it.

Its the best part :colbert:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm running a game where some NPC's are racist against monster races that are coming to live in the big city.

Am I the grognard? :saddowns:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

mandrake776 posted:

:psyduck:
-Frank

I have no idea whats going on here. Is he arguing against 4th edition or against older editions? It seems like hes bashing the entire concept of loot.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

It gives me a nervous chuckle because, and I'm being honest here, its something I would probably do if I was bored enough. I once changed an F into an E on my brothers WoW activation code to stop him from playing.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

It was the account key that I changed. He was rather angry at his faulty copy. Still didn't stop him :(

I Am The Grognard.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I feel sorry for the cute attractive girl that works at my local store. I can't imagine what she has to put up with.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I liked the first D&D movie :ohdear:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I think his argument is: "What if I want to be a Pit Fighter that uses bows? HUH?"

He is using the flavor and name of a PP to define his character as a Pit Fighter, because we all know it is impossible to be a pit fighter with out the Pit Fighter Paragon Path.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I have this weird html file of a bunch of traps. They include things like :

*Dud Door I*
The players find a hidden door. It's painted bright pink and has hundreds of coloured lights and levers. Nothing can force it open, and clairvoyance, teleport etc don't work beyond it. If anyone pulls a lever, everyone within 10' gets a 1hp electric shock and all the lights change colour.

Afterthought: The characters are being chased by a powerful monster and they wind up in a dead end with this door as the only way out. See how desperate they get to figure it out with the monster 15 seconds behind them..

*Pit trap with trapdoor*
The first character falls into a pit trap for low damage. It's easy to get out again, but if they stop to search, they find a trapdoor to another area in the bottom of the pit.

*Glory device*
The players find a statue of a fighter desperately trying to press the button in the centre of an amulet he's wearing. The amulet is not petrified and can be taken from the fighter (whose ghost later haunts them?). Pressing the button obliterates everything within 15' - the fighter knew he was going to die and was trying to take the monster with him.

Afterthought: To be fair, you should give the players some kind of warning about the amulet rather than just killing them all off for experimenting. Perhaps a loud siren sounds the first time they press the button, and it explodes on the second?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

With the new year approaching I've really got to thinking: will 3025 be any better than 3024? I mean, it's been 6 years since DarkLord Malchior was "removed from his throne" (and his head removed from his body) and everyone keeps telling me we are better off but I. don't. see. it. I just don't. I guess it's nice that the we don't have the Orc checkpoints or have to provide our identifying runes to any thug with a pike and a shield. But at what cost? I own a modest ring divination manufactury and ever since the new regime has come into place I have been feeling more and more pressure from the local Earthweaver Union to unionize.

I admit, I employee Kobolds but I don't see it as a bad thing. If I don't give them a job, what are they going to do? Go back to the Underdark? HA! No, they are going to end up in YOUR neighborhoods trying to sell you bags of squirrel skulls and hitting on your daughters. You can condemn me for paying them in meat or for working them longer hours but the truth is they had a much harder life where they came from and I am doing the rest of the common-speaking races a favor. You should be thanking me.

These Elves, did I forget to mention THAT? Yes, Elves, are telling me how to run MY business. Let me take a minute and tell you the problem with Elves: if I can't tell that you're a man or a woman you are wrong in my God's (the real God) eyes. Do you know they don't even believe in a God? They claim everything has "powers" and "feelings", that's garabge. You want me to believe actually believe that this parchment I'm scribing on has feelings? Don't make me laugh. They are an affront to Sylmar the Lightbearer. They live a morally unclean life and deserve to reap what they sow from that. YES I am talking about Corith's Moss. It's a shame that children are victim's of it too but that is the fate of a child born to morally corrupt beings and since they had no chance to be corrupted I am calmed by the knowledge that they go to be with Sylmar.

So, these unionized Elves want to tell me how to run my business. I am just trying to make a comfortable living for myself and my family. It's not my job to give other races a hand out. I sure as hell didn't get one. I busted my rear end to get where I am with only the help of my bootstraps. That gives me every right to use my business and my gold however I please and to make sure my family lives a good life. The influence of these new ideas is so wide-spread that our oldest son came up to my wife and I the other day and said he was thinking about joining the Academy Arcanum to become an ILLUSIONIST. Can you imagine! He would be a laughing stock! My wife would die from embarrassment. The only thing worse than that would be him bringing home some Orc floozy, getting her knocked up and having one of those half-orc Greenys. Thankfully we put our foot down and he is going to the Capitol in the fall to join the Imperial army. That should toughen him up real fast.

Speaking of Half-Orcs, and Half-anything's for that matter. If you are an Orc, you marry an Orc. The same goes for Elves and Humans and Dwarves. To lay down and produce a child with another race is not only abhorrent in the eyes of Sylmar, it's plain-old disgusting. First off, what could anyone see, sexually, in another race. I understand Orcs wanting to sleep with Orcs, that makes sense. They are conditioned to want to mate with the same race. We all are. Second of all, to allow a child that is neither race into this world is out-and-out child abuse. I love children and the struggles and hardships a halfsie would go through are terrible and that is the parents fault for letting that thing be born.

I'm sorry, this turned into a much bigger wall of runes than I had expected it to. It's really hard being a Human, Sylmarian, Man in this day and age.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Riidi WW posted:

thtas not grognardy its just awesome

Hasn't been gassed yet, feel free to contribute.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3241602

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Amish Ninja posted:

I like that better. Half dragon breeds should be super rare, and I haven't read much on the origins of Dragonborn but I like the idea that they're some magical fusion of two races rather than the byproduct of a bunch of dragons getting freaky back in the day. Unless there was a legit reason for the latter, like a war or something.

I believe 4e Dragonborn are the descendants of 3.5 Dragonborn, which can be found the in the Races of the Dragon book. Super dedicated paladins and clerics of Bahamut could undergo a ritual to make them all dragony (so there were halfing dragonborns, elf dragonborns, etc). All them dragony clerics and paladins made some babies and eventually you have Arkhosia, kingdom of dragon people run by dragons who hate tieflings.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Gonna make a shirt that just says "4E IS AWESOME" and has a picture of a dwarf paladin and a guitar-wielding dragonborn bard riding an Apparatus of Kwalish marked '4e' off of an exploding zeppelin marked '3.x'"

wanna wear that shirt

While we're on subject, are there any steampunk RPG's that aren't awful D20 supplements?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

lighttigersoul posted:

, and Use Rope. (kinky)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Honeydew posted:

This post and its contents inspired the new yogscast, the worst video I think we have ever ever done. Thanks, Ashenai!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTXjPDwtFA

This was amazing.