Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

Well of course but what was the point in making it work how it did?

There really wasn't any, armor and THAC0 were just counterintuitive mechanics for AC and base attack bonus. 2E's counterintuitive system of "roll under a base number minus target's armor" is a holdover from contemporary tabletop war games which worked the same way.

gently caress if anybody knows why it was ever "roll X-" rather than "roll X+." It might come from this:

Wikipedia posted:

The concepts of armor class and hit points originated in a set of American Civil War naval rules. Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Dave Arneson adopted the concepts in miniatures games that he ran shortly before the first edition of D&D was written.
So blame whoever developed American Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

LightWarden posted:

Did you know Wizards of the Coast has a section of their forums where people can discuss Gender Issues in D&D? It contains all the insightful posting you'd come to expect.
This seems like a pretty good satirepost, although quoting a WoW boss is pretty eyeroll-inducing

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

Thuryl posted:

I mean it's one thing to want to make Furries: The RPG, but who thinks "the first thing our prospective audience should see in order to attract them to our product is a cover plagiarising a generic fantasy anime from the 1990s"?
That's how you appeal to furries while offending as few well-adjusted people as possible.

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
I don't even think the quality of the cover art matters because the layout is so goddamn bad.

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

YES.

Actual shugenja are fuckin' badass.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned there's a sizable body of awesome shugenja legends. Wikipedia and my google-fu fail me, where can I find awesome stories of people taking vacations to hang themselves off of cliffs for a few days?

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
It would be neat if a game had an alignment system based on real-world sociology, though you would probably end up with poo poo like "authoritarian collectivist" instead of "lawful good" which is pretty much the same retarded thing but with bigger words.

"Detect Antisocial Tendencies"

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

quote:

In the entire history of the world, there has never been a recorded instance of any woman being able to execute a feat of strength greater than what's allowed by a D&D Strength of 21

And there have been tons of instances of people conjuring fireballs and flying around by saying magic words.

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

"James Desborough"[/quote posted:

Presentation - Hentacle is richly illustrated with fantastic art by Mel Wong.

Too bad there isn't a bigger version of the box art, it's almost good enough to be posted on DeviantArt

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

Wearsyourgodnow posted:

Every class needs to have a fall mechanic in place so that a PC can be arbitrarily hosed at any time

Wizards fall when they allow another character to contribute to a fight

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
Yes Squizzle we actually loving do owe it to ourselves and other people to educate ourselves others about prejudice, privilege and how lovely they are for society

Everyone does

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

chrisoya posted:

Donn

Alignment: Donn

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
You still run into the problem in which you need to induce the combination of dice necessary for a given value range. If char-op is a concern, it might be easier to add a separate "average damage per hit" column to the data table. Using "Damage X-Y" notation to try to make "average damage per hit" easier to calculate isn't worth the extra difficulty of finding how you roll for that damage in the first place.

It's better to present datum A directly, or (oh my god) data A AND B SIMULTANEOUSLY HOLKY poo poo than use a clunky intermediary notation from which the player has to derive both of those numbers every time.

Maybe including weapons' DPR would make the game too appealing to WoW retard babies like myself, and you wouldn't want to poison the hobby with toxic funhavers like myself. I guess I'm just too stupid to play a real roleplaying game. :saddowns:

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

Zak S posted:

You're assuming the end point is to know what dice to roll. Realistically, a player wants to know both things: the maximum damage s/he can cause and which dice to roll.

Each notation provides one of those 2 important pieces of information instantly.

"Maximum damage" seems like a figure that players would need to know much less often than "damage roll method." If finding the max damage takes a few seconds, that's okay, because you only choose a weapon (or use a "max weapon damage" mechanic) once in a while, but actually rolling for damage is something you do all the goddamn time.

I understand that there is a rationale here, but it seems to come from a bad set of priorities.

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

True Evil Bob posted:

Multiplication of the size of numbers that are relevant here is something that most schools I know of had students memorize by like 3rd grade.

PeterWeller posted:

She should probably get a different tutor if you can't teach her how to multiply two numbers.

I do not like these two posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
Is maximum weapon damage really better than average weapon damage in AD&D? If your players really want to pick the big number lottery weapon that's cool, but have you tried explaining to them why they might want to have a high average instead?

Also you're a Cool Dude for helping one of your players get their GED.