Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Red_Mage posted:

I played the intro of the first one, decided it wasn't for me and moved on. Interestingly enough you don't see many demons souls players raging at the people who play like, God of War, that their ARPG is dumbed down for babbies.

I grogged hard on Dark Souls earlier when I found out they changed the spell system from mana-based to a 'spells per day' type thing. It was a mildly alarming moment of "It's me, I am the Grog."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008
I remember hearing the 'Mongol Problem' the other way around, the party being the horseback archers. The 'problem' was that in the original 4e monster manual, horses are faster than majority%* monsters and majority% monsters have no ranged attacks. Thus the party is unbeatable. Oh, and you can't give a goblin a short bow because

* Anywhere from 60-85% depending on how hyperbolic the grog is feeling.

Edit: ^^^ Wasn't that just something Christian scholars slipped in after the fact?

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Drox posted:

Let us hope that rapenards don't poo poo up star wars by realizing they can mind trick people into sex.

You have come to a world called Tatooine!

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008
Little late on this but...

The easiest way to do THAC0 is: your THAC0 is your target number. Roll 1d20+all the things, equal or greater than THAC0 is a hit. Enemy AC is just another integer you throw in to "all the things". AC 6? Add 6. AC -6? Add -6 (aka subtract 6). Of course this relies on the Dm being willing to tell the player what the target's AC is, and the Dm trusting the player to say "I hit" or "I miss", but with the adversarial set up of 2e that is not going to happen. The best part of Basic D&D is the 3 paragraph rant Gygax puts into Keep on the Borderlands about how the DM is impartial and this is not an adversarial game. 2e, worst edition.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008
The one thing I really liked from Frank Trollman's ranting about 4e was his 5 second skill challenge fix.

Have a set number of rounds, don't count failures. This gives you a simple range of successes from 0 to rounds x number of players (4 players, 5 rounds of skill checks is 0-20 successes). You can use this range to plan appropriate consequences of the skill challenge.

It makes a lot of sense actually. Broken clock and all that.

Edit:

chrisoya posted:

I read the comments on a monte cook article
--

This is exactly right! This is part of the reason why no DMG has been able to stand up to the glory of Gary's version. Too much information on rule mechanics is given in the PHB! Let the players focus on their characters and give them some basic overviews on how the game works. Keep combat specifics, magic items, and skill related minutia in the DMG. This will help that book reclaim its usefulness, unlike the 4e DMG which can basically be read once and then kicked in the river. Restore the mystery!!!
:catstare:

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Fury1671 posted:

:crossarms: No Frank, you can write a story about why it never changes.

It's especially ironic coming from him, as the fiction he cites the most for having cool characters to emulate is anime. Specifically stuff like DBZ, One Piece, Naruto, Sailor Moon etc, where every important fight can be summed up as "One Unchanging Set of Ideals beats the poo poo out of another Unchanging Set of Ideals that the Author Disagrees With."

'Course he probably watched Goku go Super Sayiin and thought, "Wow, what deep and meaningful character development."

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

The fact that Trollman, who wrote the Tome, which is nothing but his loving houserules for "fixing" D&D is bitching about :airquote:houseruling:airquote: 4e is bad. And his "proof" is the fact that Fighters would "obviously" bring bows even though they wouldn't be able to use them as effectively as getting up in the monster's face.

No no no, see they (TGD) fully admit that 3.5 is horrible and needs house rules. I mean, it's obviously the best system, but it's still horrible. 4rries like you still say you like 4ail edition, even after having to "houserule" it, which is obviously a clear example of the Oberoni fallacy :smugdog:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Plus the idea that to-hit bonuses and damage are "arbitrarium", unlike his lovely example which he's just making poo poo up that wouldn't happen if your GM had a loving brain cell and GRAAAAAHHHHHH I am too angry today to have to have read anything Trollman says.

Also, No True Scottsman Fallacy. Check and mate, 4rrie :chord:*

*This is every TGD thread.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Chaltab posted:

Am I then to understand that fighters were... useful in the older editions, and their utter ineptitude was a consequence of 3E's terrible design choices?

They were still pretty much "run up, hit guy with thing" it's just that the Fighter's HP scaled faster than monster damage, and Fighter damage scaled faster than monster HP, so it was a viable option. 3.e's biggest problem with fighters was the alternate damage attacks, monsters having a shitzillion HP and 5 attacks for mondohuge damage. Also 2nd edition had a lot of those problems too, but 2ed just had a lot of problems in general. (Dart fighters were still pretty boss though)

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

insanityv2 posted:

I don't any of us (except maybe lemoncurdistan >.>) feel that way though?

I do. There's just nothing I can do in 3e that I can't do in other games.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

chrisoya posted:

I was just picturing one of Castle Ravenloft's towers slowly standing up like something out of Shadow of the Colossus, but a coffin centipede? Wow.

Why not both? :black101:

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

gently caress yeah. I found the ultimate grog source:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9293-The-State-of-D-D-Present

"Hey lets ask what WOTC's competitors think of 4e and the lack of an OGL! The answer may surprise you!"

RA Salvatore posted:

"4th edition [D&D] is more like a card game. It's a strategy game and there are a lot of things in there for the reason of class balancing, so from a mechanical standpoint, it's a fabulous game. From a roleplaying standpoint, by that I mean a writing standpoint, it's much harder."

4e is balanced, therefore you can't roleplay write about it because

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Guilty Spork posted:

It seems that everyone in this article recognizes that 4E created a problem with its 4venger fanbase. Maybe if they own the fact that the 4E release advertising helped to bring this about, that particular problem can be solved.

So, if I'm reading that right, he's saying 4e didn't bring in new people because the fans loved it? What?

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

This might be because flight is loving powerful, you idiots.

It's also a pain in the rear end to model 3d movement on a 2d battle grid.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

It also makes combat really gently caress off boring, since it makes all combats into featureless flat planes.

Universal flight? gently caress that, i like terrain.

True, there's only so many times you can deploy airship mines before it becomes boring.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Fighters cannot get better because that's not what people want. People who play fighters actually literally want to play characters who are completely gimped.

Censeo Trollman esse delendam.

Actually that sounds pretty accurate to me. Reminds me of my high school gaming group, and all the people who were mad about Tome of Battle when it came out.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

FoliatedFold posted:

The fellow DMing the Encounter game last night told the group how much better 3.5e was at developing role-playing characters that weren't combat based. He described a char that could not be in a party because he existed inside a 2 km-wide tornado. Another one was a Bard that never fought but talked his way out into and out of everything (until his tongue was cut out). The conversation wandered elsewhere shortly afterwards and I never got to ask him about how these chars worked in a campaign. Can anyone enlighten me?

What I'm confused about, is how these characters are supposed to be easier to even make in 3.x, let alone play.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Dire Wombat posted:

This isn't grog, but it's still stupid.

How so?

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I think it was more of a personality issue--he seems like the type of guy who would get really interested in a specific topic (like heraldry, deciduous trees, or variations of polearms) and write and write about it, then turn around and run a game that starts with "You're standing outside the dungeon. There is a peasant selling dungeon carts and war dogs."

Considering all the Gygax quotes I've read in here, all the random charts for weather, encounters, terrain etc. feel much less like "simulationism" and much more like D&D's version of the 'Chance' card.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008
I'm so glad he buffed up divine casting and Psionics so that they're as good as arcane spells. Pure genius!

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just when I think there can't be a dumber line in the sand to be drawn in terms of playstyle A vs. playstyle B arguments, people come around and amaze me again.

There is always more and it is always worse.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

It's weird that the flavor (and rules, but that's different) text on the Band Guard is so bad. I mean I read Frank's Tome, his big 3.5 book, and although most of the rules and ideas were odd, he could string an interesting sentence together at least.

The more I think about it, the more I think the good stuff in that trainwreck was K's doing more than Trollman's.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Asimo posted:

But you don't understand, things are different now that there isn't tedious planes based entirely on the worthless alignment system, half of which are redundant and ignored anyway, or that there isn't 1930's era slang thrown throughout to sound exotic and deep. :downs:

Really, I like Planescape, but 2e was so the worst possible game the concept could have been done in, however tightly tied to then-D&D cosmology it was.

The only good thing about 2e going on as long as it did was that people got soo loving bored of it they invented Planescape, Darksun, and Ravenloft.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

:barf:
Oh boy 2e style stat tables and gender limits! AS GYGAX INTENDED!

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

And no matter what, sticking out like a sore thumb will get you teased, whether it be gender, ethnicity, or otherwise.

There's no girl problem.

Nothing needs to be fixed.
We have always been at war with Yu-Gi-Oh.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

Is Frank Trollman always this unsavory on the Gaming Den forum?

Even ignoring his "match dice the long way like a poorly-optimized computer program" and general old-fashionedness for no apparent reason, he just seems really mean. Calling a colleague an idiot and a monkey at the keyboard sounds like good grounds for suspension/review/firing.

He fancies himself as some type of Doctor House character.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

WHY IS BALANCE A CONTROVERSIAL WORD

Because when you can't be the coolest guy, you aren't cool at all.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Dr Nick posted:

But I am a 4e fanboy and if defending it against inaccurate statements makes me an apologist then WHELP!

Of course, I understand that I'm not a real role player and am just a wow baby min maxer who gets everything his way and never has to work for his fun.

But I did work for my fun! I busted my rear end on 10 hour days working 5-6 days a week for those dumb books!

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

chrisoya posted:

The illustrations will be near photo quality with life-like details.

Man, that scene with the Lotion Troll? I can hear the ocean.

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

Splicer posted:

..."because it's more fun" is literally his counterargument. This is his actual argument against a mechanic. Because the mechanic is more fun.

Looks like they're arguing for the mechanic, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Philliam Graves
Dec 26, 2008

2e relied upon imagination! Like this one time where I nagged everyone about encumbrance, food, and XP minutiae!