Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

50 Foot Ant posted:

For gently caress's sake, it seems like so many people in my hobby are just terrible human beings and all around lovely people.

What is it about RPGs that attracts so many terrible people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Red_Mage posted:

It applies rulesets and system mastery to a social activity arguably allowing people who would not be able to dominate a crowd otherwise to do so.

Wow, this actually makes a lot of sense.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Really Pants posted:

Experiencing this high-fantasy world on a modern computing device completely ruins my immersion. I demand that PFO be made on parchment and tapestries instead.

This would own though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Look at Bethesda, who ardently remove anything that even resembles an RPG mechanic in favor of making it all about the Player's skills, insuring there's no real Character to take the Role of.

But.. this makes no sense.

Skyrim's skills are the RPG mechanic.

All they did was streamline everything by instead of making it "Stat + Skill" they just made it "Skill"!

How is this... arrgggggg!!! :unsmigghh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How can anyone be so pompous about a game where you pretend to be a wizard.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Guilty Spork posted:

I liked the part in the beginning where he goes "I am invincible and everyone who's tried to argue against me has been a pathetic fool," never mind that he is frequently, objectively, factually wrong about things.

But you see he's right so he's not wrong because

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chaltab posted:

Am I a video grognard for thinking that Duke Nukem 3D style level design is objectively better than Call of Duty corridor shooter level design? I mean, I didn't play DN3D until last year so it's not Nostalgia talkling.

There are advantages to a more "maze" like level design. There are also some disadvantages. Same with linear level designs. Both can work well.

Games have been both linear and non linear for ages.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Book of Nine Swords is to complex.
*Plays a wizard with spells that do everything*

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ProfessorCirno posted:

I disagree with some points made here and in 4rth edition in general. I do not believe a sword swing by a 20th level fighter is equal to 4 meteors a wizard hurls at you. That is my opinion but I stand by it. I will be glad when the age of martial supremacy that was 4E goes by the wayside.

When you're the son of the King of the Gods, wielding a sword forged from the primal material of the world itself, fighting against a Eldrich Dragon God that wants to consume the universe, yes, your sword swing hurts as much as four meteors.

Edit: Basically this person has never read any mythology ever. Or the vast majority of fantasy fiction that DnD bases itself off of. Martial Supremacy all day every day.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Of course the point is to win.

It's just that the winning condition is : "everyone has fun"

But... but.. not everybody has fun in real life! Why should they all have fun in a game!:byodood:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

RPG Pundit posted:

The Swine are any people for whom RPGs have, as their primary purpose

This is quite possibly the most ironically hilarious thing this man has ever said.

He calls himself RPGPundit, his blog and sole presence on the net is about RPGs. Yet he says this.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ProfessorCirno posted:

You don't get the armor, weapons and health of a more "mundane" character. That is the balance.

That is until you cast spells that give you the armor, weapons, and health of a "mundane" character.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ProfessorCirno posted:

"Combat as War" and "Combat as Sport" is the newest way to say pee pee poo poo 4e is a bad game.

YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME.

What is wrong with these people?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah sure and he killed giants by sptitting at them and lightning bolts shoot out of his nose. Don't you think any of it were tall tales? Tearing an ogre's arm off I could see if he is the strongest human ever. That did approach ogre strength. Weilding the sword of a giant could be done by changing your grip if your are strong enough and tall enough. Swimming across a small sea during a storm in armor, pretty much impossible. He most likely got washed ashore. That has happened numerous times in the real world.

quote:

That has happened numerous times in the real world.

quote:

That has happened numerous times in the real world.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :psypop:

WHY.

Who can say this!?

Who can actually think this?

"A fighter doing something awesome? Obviously he's exaggerating!" *Plays a Wizard, breaks reality* "This is realistic."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This sounds like a satire of edition wars.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Has anybody told him that "Combat as War" is a meaningless phrase.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's like he doesn't realize it's a game and supposed to be balanced and winnable.

Where are you finding these Professor, where so I know what to burn to the ground

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That was Grognards.txt's finest hour.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Combat as War:
:rolldice:"OK Bill, your fighter got hit by Finger of Death. Roll up a new character.
:smith:
:smug:"Heh, that's what you get for choosing Fighter This is war. Only the smartest can win." *Cast's a a dozen spells copied from the internet*

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

In other words Combat as a Sport is a fair game. While Combat as War is the GM dicking over the players and punishing them for expecting the rules of the game to apply more then the GMs whims.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I Am The Scum posted:

Why are the same people that harp on the improvisational nature of "combat as war" the same ones that want to stick with wizards that have large lists of highly-structured spells?

Because it's really another excuse to have Caster Supremacy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

moths posted:

Oh hey, nice skill challenge.

Exactly. Proof that Combat as War does not work in 4e. Try again 4ailures. :smug:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ProfessorCirno.

Please.

Stop the class.

It hurts.

The grog hurts.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Has nobody told him the simple fact that yes, in reality people can't do those amazing deeds.

But you also can't use magic either in reality.

They're both fiction.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Why stop there.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games: "My point is that you seem to be envious of magic."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thuryl posted:

This line of discussion has got me thinking about how you'd design a game around a setting where magic isn't real, but everyone in-setting believes it is. That's the most "realistic" way to do magic, after all!

This would own.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That is amazing.

Frank Trollman, who knows absoultely nothing, is declaring 5e dead before it comes out.

Seriously, why haven't people, en masse, just shouted him down for the gigantic moron he is?

Censeo Trollman esse delendam.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That man has never read a non D&D book in his life.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Asimo posted:

Ugh.... nmbuh... :psyboom:

Wait I've got it.

He's an immortal wizard irl

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sad Mammal posted:

Is there a collection somewhere of fantastic feats that Fighter-type literary characters have performed?

Pretty much any book on mythology.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Strontosaurus posted:

"Hah, when I change all the rules and ignore the design assumptions, the entire system breaks down! Checkmate!" -Frank Trollman, 2009.

Bane Guard.

Why that alone hasn't discredited him is beyond me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Transient People posted:

Context of this quote. :negative:

quote:

The big difference between the 4E fighter and previous fighters was that the 4E fighter incentivized players to focus on a particular weapon and style to the exclusion of all other techniques

Hahahahahah why. :shepicide:

quote:

One of the biggest things our group felt when we tried 4e was the lack of customization on many levels. In our current campaign (Pathfinder), we have 2 fighters, different as night and day.

My wife chose a lucern hammer fighter with emphasis on reach and whirlwind attack. She lacks the AC, but does significant amounts of damage.

My daughter went the tank or battleturtle route. She has full plate, tower shield, one handed bastard sword, and focuses on single target attacks.

Both are fighters, both fit a specific role in combat. Both are able to make their custom fighters due to the flexibility of the system, and that is paramount to all character classes, not just fighters.

Edit: As a side note, one of the larger tasks that a tank style fighter has is holding agro. There should be tools in the mechanics to support this, either by a skill or abilities.

I like this.

Note that he doesn't say they're effective (Hint, they're likely not)

Another funny thing is that he says that mechanics should support the ability to "tank" when the 4e Fighter has this.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Why do people keep talking about "Ranged Fighter" like it was ever a thing?

If you want to use a bow, play a Ranger.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

4e ruined fighters by making them competent at their given role.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

opaopa13 posted:

Look, it's simple: A good class-based system shouldn't restrict a character's mechanics based on his class, it should restrict his fluff based on what's already in my head.

It took a full minute of reading this sentence to get what you were saying.

Then I cried because some people really think this.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Since everyone knows that the narrow band of fantasy based off a small part of European myth and folklore that I read is the most important anything not from it is

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hahahahahaha backed by common sense.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

*cast spells that ruin the game and break any semblance of balance*

Frank: This is perfectly acceptable

*has a +1 to one type of roll*

Frank: This game is broken before it even begins.

Censeo Trollman esse delendam

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

"I don't want my players to play powerful characters in a game that is about power fantasies.

Unless you're a wizard, of course."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Screw balance. Im done with it. So much trouble chasing a holy grail and I had completely forgotten that character definition and distinctiveness did far more to make players fall in love with their characters than precision mechanics every did. If a rogue sux in combat, so be it, If a mage cant->swim climb->Jump then follow it up with witty conversation,suck it up.

Why do people think this?!

YOU ARE PLAYING A MULTIPLAYER GAME.

IF IT IS NOT BALANCED, THEN IT HAS FAILED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Playstyles. You shouldn't be stuck in the World of Warcraft mindset of classes having set roles.

Where... where does he think World of Warcraft got the idea that classes have set roles?

Edit: The... the entire point of a class based system is that each class has it's own abilities and roles in the game!