Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Mikan posted:

?

God drat it, I came here specifically to post that. It's in a thread about SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Repo Men would make a great basis for an Unknown Armies game. Or Over the Edge. Or even Feng Shui, perhaps.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

RagnarokAngel posted:

And roles always existed. In earlier editions fighters existed to take hits (at least until wizards got the spells that let them resist every attack known to man), wizards blew poo poo up and cast utilities, clerics buffed and rogues backstabbed. It hasnt CHANGED, we always knew those roles were there, 4e just defines them in game terms.

Why doesn't anyone see that this is the case? JESUS CHRIST it pisses me off that people are so blind to this fact.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
This is just part of the silly backwards thinking that permeates the 4e MM. Mechanical effect in the sake of mechanical effects, DM can make some poo poo up to justify them if he bothers. Designers sure didn't.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
The flaming will continue because we really have two different games now. They just happen to share the same name. And let me tell you the difference between now and the 'edition war' between 0DnD and 1ADnD. Both were still in print and supported by the company then. Now, WotC, being pure evil, has discontinued all the previous editions and is trying to force people to switch over to their new, different game that is still called DnD. If WotC had anyone other than apes running the company, they would sell a 0DnD, a 1/2 ADnD, a 3x Version, and continue their 4. But they won't because they fail to understand that, although the title is the same, the games are not.

None of it matters anyways, because BRP is 100x better game than DnD and always has been.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Etherwind posted:

To be fair I've got some sympathy for this one, since there are quite a few instances where there are mechanical effects without any real suggestion as to how the creature creates it or alternatively why the creature has that particular ability. Other than the general "It makes the fight more interesting mechanically." Which isn't bad, just the opposite of fluff-driven game design.

Yeah, but the quote is from a thread on the rust monster. He's complaining that a 6ft long insect that rusts metal with it's antennae then slurps it up doesn't make enough sense.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

LGD posted:

Actually I think the Jews might be the strongest race. They're obviously highly disadvantaged when it comes to playing martial classes but they'd be fine spellcasters in an iteration of the game where being anything else is a bad idea and they have a couple of unique abilities that are not to be found anywhere else. A 5% chance to cause instant death (or blindness- the exact effects of the "stiletto to the eye" ability are undefined but clearly are meant to be hugely debilitating) to a foe is quite strong for a racial ability and given how much of a character's power is tied up in magic items a 20% effective increase in wealth is probably better and more versatile than a simple stat bump. Especially since the setting has explicit "magic shoppes" that can insure your character gets what he needs. And the other racial penalties are practically meaningless- I can't think of any divine spells with both the lawful and good descriptors that you really need to worry about saving against, and we all know how meaningless alignment restrictions actually are. Compared to this a mere +1 bump to rolls seems somewhat limited.

Jews are clearly the race of choice for the thoughtful optimizer.

Once again white supremacists do everything in their power to show that Jews are the superior race.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Kinda a crossover with the "Reasons I don't work Retail" thread from Gibbis; I was in a game store today, lookin' at something and couldn't find a price, so I went to the counter.

:confused: Hi, I'd like to know the price of something, it isn't priced.
:reject: No, I assure you everything is priced, what is it?
:confused: Munchkin Cthulhu (we walk over)...
:reject: No, see, (picks up box and flips it over), in the UPC number, the last four digits are the price tag. So everything's priced. :smug::smug::smug:
:confused: Oh, ok, because I was looking at some Rio Grande games, and they had price tags on them, and this didn't.
:reject: Yeah, that's because they don't have the right UPC's on them.
:confused: :wtc:-face.

I actually really wanted it, and I really like supporting local stores, but that was just a douchey kid, and I'm gonna buy it online now. :emo:

This in no way excuses his behavior, but SJ Games does put their prices on the UPC. I don't know any other company that does this, however.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

h_double posted:

#2 is the biggest gaming store (in terms of floorspace) I've ever been in, and has a pretty impressive selection of RPGs. Unfortunately, literally 99% of the stock is shrink-wrapped (EVERYTHING except for comics and Warhammer novels)

Do you happen to live in the DC area? That fits the description of a place I found around there to a T. I don't live there anymore, but I when I found that place I was at first elated, then swiftly disappointed.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

While I grant you that the chart puts 4e in an unflattering place, the only part I would consider possibly inflammatory would be the "Have a Cookie" and "Precious Snowflakes" labels. Change those to more neutral wording and I really do think this chart is good to go. :smug:

fake edit: alt text: grognards.jpg

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Interesting points: Robin Laws has worked on D&D books before. I'm pretty sure he wrote some of the 3.5 DMG2. Also, he's going to be one of the three authors for 4th's DMG2.

Second, I'm not sure when Wick wrote that particular article, but he's working on 4th edition material for Kobold Quarterly now. And apparently it's pretty good stuff.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Etherwind posted:

Oh god why didn't I think of pointing this out, I thought everyone knew about Ed Greenwood.

He went on record several times basically talking about various characters in the forgotten realms setting and their various perversions that WotC wouldn't let him publish in the books. There's one queen whose name I can't remember, in particular, who he spent ages describing as some kind of fetishist of the myth version of Catherine the Great. Her court was described as being all sorts of debauched and lewd and it read like some kind of terrible nerd wet dream.

I mean, jesus dude, if you want to have those kind of fantasies it's totally fine, whatever floats your boat, but keep them in private where they won't cause harm to our minds and your reputation.

A friend of mine had to edit an Ed Greenwood Ecology of... article. He had to remove the weird sexual stuff about Elminster. He asked his boss if editing Ed Greenwood articles was some kind of hazing ritual they put the new guys through.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Yeah, that FrankTrollman fellow writes copiously, and is a pretty creative guy when it comes to wolrd building and background. I really like some of his concepts. But everything he writes is based on some insane 3e fundamentalism where you have to take the rules of 3e to be the actual, ingame rules of physics that people in the setting know. It's like Order of the Stick, but no tongue-in-cheek satire.

Oh, and his rules stuff is a horrible morass.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Evil Mastermind posted:

From the rpg.net forums: walkerp, keepin' it classy.

This guy has his own podcast & forum, where I was linked to this gem from ENWorld.

For gently caress's sake, a persistent world that PCs interact with and goes on without them IS THE loving DEFINITION OF AN MMO.

NOTHING EXISTS IN THE GAME UNTIL YOU ROLL THE loving DICE AAAARGHQ!!!!

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Kemper Boyd posted:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=467917

This thread rules.

Synopsis: Game setting has a thing about men not fighting on horseback for cultural reasons. Lots of misogynistic freakouts.

I just read this entire thread (because I really like Reign and pretty much everything Greg Stolze does) and I'd just like to say, "gently caress you."

I really wish I could have stopped reading that sooner.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

FirstCongoWar posted:

My favorite part was either the part where they get lightsabers or the part where the cool flavor hinted at in that old adventure (that introduced the concept) was systematically stripped out.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

That Rough Beast posted:

celebrityomnipath is the worst RPG.net poster. Well, okay, next to Old Geezer.

Uh, pardon me, but I'd like to introduce you to a little poster named marleycat. :smug:

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

RagnarokAngel posted:

But but you see wizards were balanced because they took longer to level it makes sense!

Well, that's the point. That was the balancing factor. The wizard would be behind everyone else in levels if everyone got experience at about the same rate. Not a great one, not even a good one. But when 3e threw that away without rebalancing wizards (band boosting the gently caress out of clerics), that was a big part of the problem in that edition.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

RagnarokAngel posted:

What confuses me is it mentions that ray of frost and fireball as per the rules do not freeze or torch anything, because it doesn't say they do.
I don't actually recall 3.5 saying that either. There was no "frozen" or "burned" status attached to it, just some dice. It's assumed the DM has enough common sense.

A ray of freezing air and ice projects from your pointing finger. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to deal damage to a target. The ray deals 1d3 points of cold damage.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Fuego Fish posted:

No.

NO.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Sir Yatagan Fracas is a poet and paladin currently residing in the Shambles. Like most of his people, he prefers to live in the past. Yatagan does this primarily by writing and performing Dragonborn love poetry in the classical style, a form known for it's combination of lyric romanticism and veiled threats of violence. He's also a working poet because frankly, he's not smart enough to be an academic historian, a profession actually respected among his kind. It was the 'study' of ancient Dragonborn poetry that led Yatagan to the 'Dragon Within', religion, and his eventual taking of the Oath of Paladinhood.

Yatagan is an odd combination of charming and revolting, at least by human and fae standards. While he's very charismatic, literally dressed in shining armor, he's also uncomfortably reptilian. His breath weapon is toxic, bacteria-laden saliva. His paladin's 'marking' ability involves him passing his sword under his cloaca, spraying it with his semen, and then flinging it foes. This, naturally, humiliates and enrages them, though it's possible his semen also has some mildly hallucinogenic properties, like the skin of certain frogs. He's also overweight.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Huh, this is a neat, interesting character, I don't see what's so bad aoout this pos-

Welp.

:downsbravo:

I kept the whole quote intact so that you'd experience the same emotional rollercoaster as me.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
I found Sir Yatagan Fracas in a thread on (where else?) rpg.net about sharing dragonborn characters. It was the second post and no one even batted an eye. Nothing. No one called him out.

I used to think you guys were too hard on rpg.net, but I'm starting to see the point.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

I'm getting an error when I go here (this is probably for the best).

edit: Nevermind. Lots of Blogger sites were down for a while.

rex monday fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 23, 2009

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Super Waffle posted:

So something thats been bugging me. Grognards like to say 4th edition is an MMO on paper. How do they feel about DDO being 3.5?

I was playing that again recently (and hating the 3e character creation rules the whole loving time) and 4th edition came up. I'd get the same grognard "4e is an MMO on paper" bullshit. This, from people PLAYING A D&D MMO.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
It's honestly what I thought of the first time I saw devourers back in 3e. Come on, it's a giant undead that puts tiny versions of people in it's abdomen.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

OtspIII posted:

I'm not entirely sure what's going on in this paragraph.

Oh, god, that's an rpgnet poster named Marleycat. I loving love reading her threads. It's like she prepares to post a thread by going a week without her meds.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

theironjef posted:

Wow, it's like she's based on the girl muppet from Electric Mayhem. I think that's the first example of a human being based on a muppet instead of the other way around.

I think you've got that backwards.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
This whole thread is basically two guys arguing that Small characters being penalized for being small isn't a bad thing.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Angry Diplomat posted:

... some kind of ship and the ship was a big stone head on a wooden galleon and the head had fire in its mouth and in order to make the ship go anywhere you had to burn books by feeding them to the head...some kind of nazi easter island space boat

Oh my god that's amazing!

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Locus Cosecant posted:

You know, it is kind of a silly name now that I think about it. I wouldn't say I'm "pissed off", but I can see where he is coming from.

Not really though since the original intent was that each one was a feat of amazing prowess you could do that set you apart from lesser men. +2 to Athletics

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Lugubrious posted:

quote:

I agree this has started to become ludicrous. I'd love ONE SINGLE original idea to pop out of WOTC's rear end anytime soon. I love nostalgia as much or more than the next guy, but I'm sorry, coming out with 4E verisions of Village of Hommlet, Against the Giants, Descent Into the Depths, Tomb of Horors, or whatever corpse they decide to unearth this week just tells me they aren't even trying. Especially with the burgeoning retro-clone movement and several quality releases by the independent operator (Just reading F1 Fane of Poisoned Prophecies by Guy Fullerton and he's got the look and feel down perfectly without making a fool of himself).

Mike B.

Wait a second. Just hold up. I'm trying to wrap my head around this. When WotC does a remake of a classic product updated fro the latest edition it's "[not] even trying" but when some dude makes a slavish recreation of 30-year old modules (note the "clone" in retro-clone) he's a genius entrepreneur?

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Angry Diplomat posted:

eventually you can wish for so much money that your entire plane of existence is changed into the elemental plane of money.

I'm picturing a situation where you wish for so much money (not gold, but financial worth) that your entire home plane is converted to fantasy computronium. Every single molecule of your entire plane is concerned with calculating and exchanging wealth forever in some kind of D&D Accelerando scenario.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
I can't believe I used to read and enjoy Play Dirty. I think I'd rather be kicked in the dick than ever play in a game that John Wick ran.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've been in games with GMs with similar mindsets. It's pretty comparable to getting kicked in the dick. "You mentioned your mother in your backstory, she's fair game for bad guys now! Yeah, I know you didn't buy her as a dependent or anything; so what?"

And then I remembered the game I was playing in back in those days. It was awful. The worst possible game. Everyone who wasn't loving the GM had nothing to do while her boyfriend just happened to have every power possible. XP was earned by the length of in character stories that were written outside game time.

My character, after a year or so of real life time doing nearly nothing got trapped in a foreign land, weaponless, captured, then had his brother (who was his only connection to the human world and only living relative) killed in front of him to "teach him a lesson."

Why the gently caress do i still play RPGs?

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

NorgLyle posted:

So over at amazon, they have D&D Essentials up for pre-order, featuring a cover that uses the same art as the old red box (the first D&D books I owned, by the way). You know what that means! Grognards start your engines!

Tell me more about Kenyan mind control :tinfoil:

That's not even what the box art is going to be. It's similar but not identical

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Hey guys, I was just playing around with the idea of a more traditional paladin style class and this is what I came up with. Keep in mind this is like the rough, rough draft; the very first things zi jotted down. As it is I think it would have to be played as a more advanced class for deeper roleplaying, etc.. Think of the bard in the back of the AD&D player's handbook.

(Seriously, it's long, just go read it. It's hilarious.)

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
He seems to be sincere enough to get butthurt when every single poster in the thread says it's bad. Either that or he's some kinda supertroll.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Mikan posted:

This is the best part:

maybe I spoke too soon there's a car analogy on the next page

Mikan go answer my question about shaman hybrids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Jackard posted:

Huh. Must be trying to get rid of his friends.