Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Bipolar Bear
Moody Ursine Albino
1st Level RPGnetter

CC isn't a troll. It's worse than that: I'd posit that there is a dangerous psycho-pathology afoot and that it is actually irresponsible, and possibly damaging for us to be giving him the attention we are.

I say that as a masters candidate in psychology, a teacher of abnormal psychology and a counselor of disturbed teenagers.

As has been already touched on, CC demonstrates an irrational enthusiasm for a creative idea that crosses pretty clearly into demonstrable grandiosity. Even in the face of irrefutable evidence that he overestimated his plans, he still shows hyper focus on the concept, narcissism about his skills and abilities (and histrionic tendencies with his posting habits).

This indicates either some form of bipolar disorder, some mix of personality disorders, or possibly an extreme case of AADHD. Regardless of the diagnosis (which I admit I am 2 months premature in being able to actually give credibly), we're all fueling something self-destructive.

In all seriousness, it's probably asking too much for us all to walk away from this train wreck, but it would probably be best for him.

CC: you should consider finding someone who can be objective, not about your talents and skills as a game master but rather about your judgment. Take a look at these resources available to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

all right yeaaaah we doin' this

quote:

[hear me out!] Why the big fuss about rape?

quote:

Let me think...

In Highschool, one guy narrated in a rape scene after we saved the princess. we were, collectively, squicked out. Now, as an adult, he's in jail as a sex offender, which is a shame because... well, outside of that one incedent, he allways struck me as a really good guy who I could talk with. I just never knew his tastes ran towards unwilling women.

quote:

Rape leaves psychological damage. Trained professionals can fix that.
Murder leaves you dead. That's not up for grabs. Anyone that claims rape is worse than murder doesn't understand the concept of psychiatry.

quote:

I think the answer is quite simple.

Because most people who are playing RPGs are Amercian and there are extreme double standards in regards to violence and sex in the U.S.

quote:

My group is entirely young white heterosexual males and thus not particularly offended by it.

quote:

I'd say that the main problem I have with it is that for every game where it would be unrealistic and illogical for a character to not be raped and therefore it should occur, there are at least 10 that are just the GM getting a kinky pleasure out of it.

quote:

I agree. Murder is obviously worse than rape, but for some reason people get weird about rape, so I tend to avoid it coming up in games.

I don't need to know why some people have this particular form of craziness: it's enough just to realize that they do.

quote:

let me run some numbers for you

happiness of person immediately before horrific event= x

trauma (as negative happiness) of beig murdered = y, is calculated by multiplying the traume per minute (a) by the number of minutes it takes to kill the subject (b).

Total lifetime happiness of first victim = x-y = z

traume of rape is measured in a triangle, startig from thepoint of rape to the point where happiness begins again rape base traume level = j, time untl healing is at point where happiness is geater than additional traume =k

there fore rape trauma total m = (j*k)/2

the first change is the simple difference in magnitude of k vs b

now for the rape to be less in magnitude than the murder the subject has to live long enough.

Long enough is defined by the point at which the subbject has had more new happiness than the differente between z and m.

if they die before then, they had less total happiness in their life than if they had been murdered instead.

to make it back to emotional and personal stylings. If i die before, at a guess, another 7 years has passed. I would have been better off killed.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

H.P. Grenade posted:

Holy poo poo, a rape formula. How can you even think up something like that.

rpg.net is a special place for special people

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Mikan posted:

It's no longer rules for another world. It's rules for a game. Instead of telling me how Iggwilv tricked Iuz or how Mordenkain built the Obsidian Citadel

I, too, long for the halcyon days of Ed Greenwood, when we could all read happy tales of the adventures of somebody else's PCs in a campaign that ended ten years before we were born

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

yes you could say i'm quite a grog nerd! why, just last Talk Like A Pirate Day,

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

IMJack posted:

10. No more skill challenges. Poof Gone. You are free to enjoy the game again. This was the #1 turnoff of 4th ed to me as a player. If a GM asks me to participate in one, I will decline, leave the room, etc, and if he insists, I declare that I auto-fail, because I hate them so much. If he insists that I choose a skill and roll, I say "I use endurance, because I am putting up with this crap". seriously does ANYBODY like this implementation?

ROLLING DICE?!? I've never heard of such a thing! Pout like a baby and ruin the game for everyone else powers ACTIVATE!

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Didn't take skill focus: loving the dog? Well you can't be the dog fucker.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

The General posted:

I did. If I had a computer it may have been more coherent but I wrote it at work on my cellphone between ovens. And that's how I feel :colbert:

you're kind of dumb fyi

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Etherwind posted:

Which rules are you referring to? If you mean the contested rolls rules, they were a known issue going to print, they just hadn't found an elegant solution for them.

oh well in that case

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

The General posted:

I can't comment on if it's an objectively bad system, but I do know it would be a system I wouldn't like at all. I'm just trying to see why people think you have to sit down and play it to confirm.

who cares

ps: 4e owns

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

My grognard confession for the nWoD is the new Mage. I really can't stand it, especially after loving the first game. It's really the only one I don't like since I love VtR and WtF seems neat. Hell I even think the new Changeling game looks kind of sweet and I'm a firm believer that the oWoD changeling is one of the worst games of all time. I just really, really, hate everything they've done to Mage. I had cabbit try to sell me on it for close to two hours and I still can't stand it.

don't worry man, ~*consensual reality*~ means you're right about everything you believe

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Mikan posted:

In my fair and unbiased opinion, Alchemicals owned and is literally perfection printed onto paper

Daaaaang these are some correct loving words

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

ugh i want to worship a spider goddess, but up until now i just havent found the right caring, kind and benevolent deity that will also give me the power to cause my enemies to pop like blood sausages, their innards filled with a million writhing arachnids. and also her worship cant be matriarchal because girls make my tummy feel funny

does Gamer's Den have the spider goddess for me????

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

oh! it does. thank you gamesr den

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

clockworkjoe posted:

3. Lastly, how can I play as a female character whose sexual orientation happens to be [...] omnisexual

well this thread has already established that you can't be the dog fucker so

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Fortinbras posted:

In response to some guy saying he wouldn't allow a vampire character in a game of D&D:

You appear to have missed completely-awesome-guys.txt. Because that guy rules.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

The General posted:

Anyone agree or disagree?

I think you present a false dichotomy, to whit:
* I have played in theater LARPs in which there was frequent combat (even mass combat) and it was very much was "us against them" faction play (Sabbat v Camarilla; investigators versus crooks).
* Nearly every boffer LARP in which I have played has had a BIG focus on character embodiment (costume, makeup), acting, diplomacy, episodic story lines, and occasional quests (line modules). Some boffer/Airsoft systems are so violent (AKA realistic, in terms of consequences of injury) that combat is actively AVOIDED, because death is a BIG nuisance (up to an including permadeath).

Your "BGs" sound more to me like fest LARPs, where the point of play (PoP) is to pick a side, look good while taunting and battle crying, then charge into the foam-and-leather mosh pit and drop when "it's appropriate" that you drop. Why are the sides in combat? Does it matter? When the winners are sorted, everyone gets up, dusts off, grabs a meal, and repeats until dark (when the parties start). Basically the same as larger, organized SCA battles and the WAY-back-in-the-day French live combat sport where everyone had paper disks attached to key joints and limb segments and torso to provide a "proof" that a hit occurred--the paper disk was torn (can't for the life of me remember what it's called--almost a 25-year-old memory, there).

Hell, I've see scenario paintball games with more "art" to them than "sport," once all the various reasons for gearing up and paintballing bubble up into parleys, betrayals, and running battles. Recreationists, at the core, are theater performers... and I've even seen some Airsoft/paintball groups that go beyond recreationism to actual "refighting" the battles: same dispositions but NO WAY same tactics.

In summary: LARP is an activity, which subsumes several other activities that, taken in isolation, could qualify as art (acting, crafting, story development and narration) or as sport (foot races, live combat, tests of agility and stamina) or as a game (resource management, actual card and board games, diegetic-but-not-present armies and navies influencing plot lines at events).

And welcome to the "What Is LARP Debate, Round 42."

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

I don't know about the rest of you but I've got an upper limit for how 'interesting' I want my soups and stews to be

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Fire posted:

Seeing the aftermath of having a policy of not playtesting anything because TSR's ignorant oval office of a CEO believed that playtesting was an excuse to goof off at work is kind of funny.

always ruining good rpgs with their vapid cuntery goonsire

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

theironjef posted:

How many people actually own the Alchemicals book, anyway? That thing is basically treasure. It's got the best crunch of any of the books, but the fluff is somewhere between the vision-quest fakiness of the Fair Folk and someone's amateur communist manifesto.

playing superpowered Heroes of the People is a great idea though

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

creepy sex stuff is a pretty key part of silent hill's monster design though

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Horses are seriously dumb as poo poo. They will stick their heads through a fence, get stuck, and thrash about to the point where they snap their own necks and die. They will paw at the same spot on the ground for hours on end. They will freak out at anything and everything including "a weird shaped stick on the ground that they have seen every day all season". Horses are incredibly loving stupid

Warforged are cool though

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

An animate, non-living apparatus constructed primarily from non-living parts which is capable of moving and operating independently and, in some cases, without oversight.

You're riding that 'non-living' term pretty hard. Why would, for example, an intelligent undead not count under this definition? It's not living or made from living parts.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

gee and here i just thought the question of when something stops being a 'robot' and starts being 'alive' was fun to bullshit about, i didn't realize i was spewing a frothy mixture of Cheetos and Care all over my fellow 4.failrons

sorry guys :(

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

MODRON DISCUSSION:

abandoning Nordom for Vhailor. bad decision, or worst decision?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

aaaaAAAAAa

look at him, look at this loving guy

he's just so happy with his little hat tied on and his fishin' pole hanging out the back

where are you going little modron. are you going to have an adventure

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

what would a lich need death knights for if everyone was a zombie already

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

moths posted:

- nWoD Mage is filled with preposterous new-age bullshit. Magical dragons leave Atlantis and only their crystal skeletons - oh gently caress it really is this bad

oWOD mage fluff is twelve kinds of poo poo, nWOD mage fluff is super great. well, see ya

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Android Blues posted:

Ed Greenwood seems like a pretty sweet guy, too, if in a hippyish sort of way. Like he might at worst be a bit overwhelming, but his basic philosophy is basically just like FREE LOVE MAN and it's kinda neat that that snuck into such a mainstream RPG setting!

he has a fanny pack tied to his beard

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, it's just a badge on a lanyard that his beard is covering.

quiet you

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

virtual adepts were kind of like reading something by neal stephenson except all the parts where he makes fun of himself/his ideas were removed

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

We can at least agree that the new Wisdom sins are dumb as poo poo.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Fuego Fish posted:

Plus there are only, like, three people in the world who know anything about it beyond Johnny Five Aces.

To know Johnny Fiveaces is the beginning of wisdom.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

i found something good to say about RPGPundit!

in spite of all the 'alpha male' and 'beta male' poo poo in those posts, and referring to his significant other (one assumes) as The Wench, he never actually veers into PUA poo poo

that i'm aware of

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

I generally just say that most peasants in relatively well-to-do regions make anywhere from fifty coppers to a couple of silver per day because god drat the guys have to buy clothes and pay for shovels or poop or whatever the gently caress it is they buy, god drat

It's an outrage that there aren't charts readily available that tell me how much shovels and poop cost in every nation in the Forgotten Realms. What if my PCs want to buy some poop? WHAT DO I TELL THEM?! :argh:

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

why the gently caress do gbs-types always think that more words + more tortured analogies = more funny

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

quote:

But that isn’t enough to deter me folks. If it were, I would not be an anime fan.

:patriot: godspeed you brave brave soldier :patriot:

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Or just say 'gently caress it' and put a little engineer's cap on the quest-giving NPC

have him say things like "the dread beast is savaging our defenseless town and only you, brave heroes, can stop it CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS"

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Liesmith posted:

but it's Good which amounts to the same thing in my book

Well, they start good. And they end with Susan being forced to identify the mangled corpses of her entire family as punishment for liking lipstick and boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Liesmith posted:

no its a punishment for choosing vanity and earthly pleasures over Mesus Mhrist, the lion