Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
This goes to my biggest problem with 4e and with many upcoming game designs in general - even including my love of Savage Worlds to a much lesser extent...

and that is removing challenge, thinking, and roleplaying from roleplaying games.

There should be risks and the very real possibility of character death and failure, otherwise why should I waste my valuable time as a DM to run a game, when I could simply say "you win" and narrate some cool story...is that a crass statement? Perhaps.

This new paradigm is also why I disliked to a lesser extent, 3x D&D - the players spent more time looking at their character sheets for skills, feats, etc. instead of thinking! How are they supposed to LEARN? I had to read up on small unit tactics, cover and concealment, medieval warfare, etc etc etc to really start mastering roleplaying combats.

Likewise, I see social combat rules and the like as severely detracting from roleplaying. You are there to be an actor in an improvised play - so act! If you are a social misfit, won't it help you come out of your shell? What's the harm in helping someone better themselves while at the same time having fun?

In general, as time goes on I find the who push towards ... mechanization ... of every situation via rules, ever-expanding player powers, no-serious-death rules and the like to be very off-putting.

And of late I have been studying management techniques and it occurs to me much of what us old geezers (lowercase) of Generation X and older are annoyed with are exactly what Generation Y is looking for...

In general, Gen Y tends to work and act in groups (hence the whole group dating thing which just boggles me), prefers immediate feedback, and requires constant positive praise and reinforcement (again something I think is nuts in the workplace, but something managers need to keep in mind to properly motivate their employees).

So - I have learned my lesson from previous posts that telling folks ...esp the younger ones...there way is wrong is silly and insulting. However, I DO feel Gen Y is losing out on great roleplaying when the games are deliberately socially engineered and modeled to their (spoiled, IMHO) way of seeing the world and made to be less challenging in the supposed name of fun. As I constantly tell my son when he uses cheat codes in his Nintendo - 'what is the point of being invulnerable? Where is the challenge?'

I think tough challenges and PC death build character. Just as tough challenges (and especially failures) build character.

So bring on the level drain, Old Geezer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

AndItsAllGone posted:

I want to kill that last guy. Literally kill him

Yeah I have to keep fighting the urge to reply with a line-by-line

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

dailies and healing surges that reset after every encounter could be pretty fun if balanced right

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Personally I think it's best to let the players know which enemies are the minions. Yes, it lets the wizard know where to drop his AE spells, but why not? As far as I can tell the only benefit to hiding that information from the players, is to yell "Gotcha!" when they waste a daily or encounter power on a minion. If you are that type of DM, then go ahead and hide the minions. Personally I think it speeds up game play, and that the players have more fun when they get to make informed decisions rather than playing guessing games.

I'm all for rule transparency. Now there are always exceptions to a rule. Last game I ran I had some Lurkers dressd up as minions, I had marked the bottom of their token ahead of time and planned to flip them over when they launched their attack. The players revealed them ahead of time with some Bursts though, fuckers.

So it can be fun as an exception, to mix it up or for specific types of scenes, but in general I think even in character, the PC's should be able to figure the situation out just by the equipment the enemies wear, or their place in the encounter. The goblins in rags with lovely swords aren't going to put up much of a fight, but those big ones with shields and armor, and the sneaky ones hanging back with bows, or the one draped in bones ornaments, wiggling it's fingers, they're going to be a problem. It's pretty obvious who is filling which archetype in the scene.

I've played with DM's who have run it both ways, and either way is fine to be honest. I think it's more up to the flavor of the setting, and the mindset you want your players in than anything else. Personally I don't see the point in trying to hide all this poo poo from the players, it creates a less fun environment over all, if the players feel like you're always trying to trick them. More importantly it does speed up game play if the players can make informed decisions. My friend's already take way too long to decide what to do, if they had to try to figure out who the minions are by context clues, it would be loving ridiculous.

But this guy is 100% correct..??

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I have intermittently posted on rpg.net and let me tell you, that RSC guy is retarded

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

oh god that's beautiful

especially because etherwind is one of the two people who are possible culprits for buying me my last red title

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Etherwind posted:

I will put cold cash on the table that every single person who has posted in this thread has done or said something that would justify a place in it at some point in their lives. If you'd deny this, you're frankly lying to yourself.

I will see and raise you w/r/t making up superpowerful custom classes for my magical gold dragon wyrmling pc and then getting really huffy when they're rejected

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

FrantzX posted:

oh my god this is beautiful, thank you so much

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ends with "So there.", so apparently it's spambot?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Rust monsters were put in solely for stupid legacy reasons. They are a bad monster.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

FirstCongoWar posted:

Which one of you is this:

in 4ed they ruined the vampire template powerwise and the stats in the monster manual contradicted the template as far as powers go so i personally decided that despite making it both less and more complicated at the same time from the old dnd system i would prefer not to play it since my one track mind sticks on vampire issues. Though i did always enjoy the 3.0 and 3.5. There is a good movie about roleplaying in D&D

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

You might check it out.

it was me. sorry. vampires just don't sit well with me unless they're at their most dangerous while boxing you

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Riidi WW posted:

okay, i'm sorry, but this isn't a meaningful response to my point. i am saying that you need to be aware that by using "gay" as a pejorative you are furthering the social norm that to be gay is a bad thing, undesirable, and so forth. i didn't say one word about offense.

but being gay is a bad thing since you can't get married

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

that's a good point, riidi.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

shotgunbadger posted:

:smithicide:

no, you don't understand. i'm not talking about laws or whatever. gays literally can't get married. it doesn't work. god deflects the marriage particles away

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The General posted:

I'm saying that in any combat poo poo can hit the fan. It may cause you to have to run away, or it might just kill you. That's the risk of combat. Don't like it? Don't have the fight, find some other solution.

No, that's retarded. Combat is fun and the genre demands it happen regularly.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Grognards are either atheist or claim to have a buddhist philisophy your point is invalid.

why do you think the atheist spellcasters get better spell lists

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Oligopsony posted:

We're veering off-topic, but Hitler's responses to Germany's real problems (hyperinflation, mass unemployment) were actually pretty good.

Depending on your reading of the international situation, you could concievably diagnose his "declare war on everyone" policy as a false solution to the real problem of a Europe to the East and West that might threaten Germany again.

Most of the gratuitously evil stuff was in response to completely imaginary problems, obviously.

oh hitler apologia from oligopsony what a shock

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Oligopsony posted:

non sequitur

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bedurndurn posted:

My favorite bit of that was that his will save was +6. Because that's certainly not a gigantic liability once your party's in the low teens for levels. Not at all. :downs:

+3.

His will save was +3.

Naturally, both the level 12 sorceress and the level 8 cleric posted after the level 14 fighter could kill him singlehandedly.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Pathfinder listed itself as having over 5,000 playtesters because that's how many people downloaded the .pdf of their alpha :3:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

In Pathfinder generalist wizards get the special power to throw their staff and have it come back.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Riidi WW posted:

Please, go on.

I'll spell it out for you: your sincere acceptance of the tenets of an organized religion represent a forfeiture of all of your pretensions of logic consistency.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

He's certainly not made a single post worth reading on this entire forum.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

AC actually isn't a sacred cow. They were playtesting systems where armor worked as DR early in 4e's development, but it made the game end up with too many variables to be easily balanced.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Harken:
"Look, before I met him, i was down on my luck. . i had been. . a sailor, a rigger- good with ropes, good enough I could pick my trade. but then. . " He pauses confused. "One year I just lost the knack for Using Ropes. It was way back. . around the time mages stopped toting around crossbows. That used to be the style for some reason. Anyway, i banged my hand up or something, lost the nack, it would have ruined me- but Tobin took me in."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The General posted:

Sorry if my games include such things as 'failure' and 'consequences for your actions.' It must be terrible knowing that a bad ingame decisian can have a bad result. Why even roll the loving dice?

You're a regressive troglodyte who habitually misrepresents everything that anyone who tries to talk with you says and you're also a homophobe, don't post

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The General posted:

Yup, total homophobe. Much like when I call something retarded I hate all people with mental defficiency. Heaven forbid I use slang.

yes

quote:

And I fail to see how I misrepresented the topic at hand. I asked about NPCs escaping and I was told "Welp, if they escape once, my players will go apeshit and slaughter any opponent instead of capturing them." Seems rather extreme and childish to me. If it happened every time, I'd understand that kind of reaction.

You either fail to see it because you're stupid or because you're disingenuous, neither is a good reason for your voice to be heard anywhere

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Riidi WW posted:

"the magic will all be mine, ah ha ha"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Riidi WW posted:

and its not even like in vampire where "the blood will all be mine" helps you out. what does a technocrat gain from killing everyone else???

the assurance that his magic style will be accepted by the populace and never generate paradox

which would also happen if all the different magical styles decided to work together and open humanity's eyes to the existence of magic as a generalized possibility, and also that option would require less murder

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

eat poo poo oligopsony

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Etherwind posted:

Okay, to try and express how loving terrible this is, let's try an analogy.

Imagine, in nWoD, committing acts of atrocity that lowered your Morality could inflict you with a Derangement that turned you into a homosexual. It's explained as the shock and trauma of committing evil acts messing up your sexual identity.

That doesn't mean all homosexuals are evil people, of course, just that some evil people are homosexuals. You can even decide to make your character homosexual without acquiring it as a Derangement.

Would you be loving incensed if that was an actual game rule? I hope so. Associating sexual identity with low morality is loving abhorrent, even if it's not saying that certain sexual identities are entirely the result of low morality. With that in mind, I think establishing the same causal relationship - no matter how tenuous - with mental illness is frankly disgusting.

So you think that homosexuals have messed up sexual identities in the same way that schizophrenics have messed up minds?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Etherwind posted:

:bang: No, I'm saying that creating an association between morality and mental illness is just as wrong and offensive as creating an association between morality and sexual identity.

Well, no, your analogy only works if homosexuality was to sexual identity what mental illness was to mental well-being. So you're either a bigot or an idiot.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

But...he keeps posting here. That's not good news..

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Requiem is so offensive - it draws parallels between people suffering from blood loss and deranged vampire slaves! After all, someone might think that-

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Etherwind posted:

gently caress right off. My point was showing how offensive it is to associate intrinsic elements of self over which a person has no control with their moral decisions.

But the only offensive thing about your example was the implication that being homosexual was worse than not being homosexual..?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Etherwind posted:

What the gently caress?

Are you saying that the very idea that your sexuality could change based on your moral behaviour isn't loving offensive in and of itself?

Well, see, the thing about setting up a "commmit atrocity -> alter sexual preference" precedent is that it draws a hierarchy between superior and inferior sexual preferences. It's offensive because your (Etherwind's) first impulse was to paint heterosexuality as the correct, normal state which is ruined and warped into homosexuality as the character commits crimes.

I'm not offended by the general idea that someone's sexuality can be informed by their actions and experiences, which is good, since it's true.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Etherwind posted:

Again, I think it's pretty loving terrible to draw any connection between moral purity and derangement. That's my fundamental problem with it.

If you were to actually read the game, you would know that the system does not do this, since it tracks a character's actions and experiences rather than his thoughts.

quote:

It's not the actions and decisions aspect, it's the fact that it's loving moral conduct it's tied to that make it awful. The idea that being really evil could change your sexuality is offensive and archaic.

"Being evil" is not a sin on the Humanity scale.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Etherwind posted:

I give up. Either you can see why associating immoral behaviour with gaining mental illness is unkind and backward, or you can't.

If you had read the rules, you would know that the system does not associate "immoral behavior" with mental illness.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nowadays, I don't like the Morality system for two reasons:

1. It seems like derangements should be something you risk by keeping your current Morality, not dropping it. Morality loss means sociopathy and detachment, so someone who Truly Doesn't Care about the guy they shot in the face shouldn't go crazy because of unresolved issues about shooting a guy in the face. They are Stone Cold

2. I hate level drain and random chargen in the final estimation Morality is both: it plays more like a slap on the wrist than character development - you straightforwardly lose a bonus because you failed a roll. Ostensibly, you've gained The Freedom To Be Bad, but you always had that, and whether or not you pay for that freedom by having a Derangement or not is totally random.

In the Mage game I don't run, I use a Morality system where degeneration is voluntary, and not degenerating forces you to make a roll to avoid getting a nonpermanent derangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The General posted:

I'm pretty sure he's saying that linking any sexual or mental attribute to any moral standing is bad.

Sucking dicks because your moral is just as bad as sucking dicks because your immoral.

Edit: It should be your choice if you wish your character to suck dicks, and not an ailment or divine power granted by the GM.

Edit 2: I had to edit this loving post about 50 times to fix minor spelling mistakes, and completely missing words. I'm loving tired.

It actually is your choice whether your character has a mental illness? The "derangements" handed down by Morality degeneration amount to character quirks and personal flaws like narcissism or an unpleasantly suspicious nature, and the Actual Serious Horrible Derangements like schizophrenia or dissociative identity syndrome are explicitly called out as things that are only "gained" through severe trauma or suffering on your part rather than simply your instinctive reaction to hurting or killing another human being. Aside from that stuff, your character can have as many or as few Actual Mental Illnesses as you like, in the same way he can be missing a leg if you like.