Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

Where did that pedophile pirate game go? I was pretty pumped about watching it either get even creepier or implode, but I can't even find it in the Gas Chamber.
Got moved to YCS. Damnit, all that effort setting up a long con wasted.

EDIT: well, more :effort: since I hadn't even bothered coming up with a name but it's the principle of the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

regular Toughness was the second worst feat in 3.x

What was the worst?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Impermanent posted:

The thing about this that bugged me was that I always thought that earth and water would work just fine as their own damage sources without mutating them into acid and cold. Being hit with a firehose sucks and being hit by something with that 10x that much pressure would blind any beholder (with central eye closed) around.

And earth? Earth is fuckin' earthquakes and rocks and poo poo. Why would we move to acid? If your magic is aristotlean, keep it aristotlean! Or maybe have a separate group of mages that manipulate the four humors if abstract, antiquated systems mean that much to you.
Probably because both of those are "you just got smacked in the face with a physical object".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stuntman Mike posted:

But that's the issue - who says the elemental blocks of the universe have to translate into different forms of plasma/energy for the purpose of doing damage? If you're an earth wizard, your control over that element confers powers over....the earth. Which will mostly involve hitting things with rocks. Fire mastery would mean having power over energy/plasma/fire. The need to equalize everything in D&D creates a lot of nonsensical situations.
Yeah, it's just what makes a wizard summoning a rock from the elemental plane of earth to smack you with it different from some guy picking up a rock and chucking it at you? They both seem to be physical damage.

Although now that I re-read Impermanent's post he didn't actually mention damage TYPES, just damage sources. Not saying I disagree with you, I just think that's why they did it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I have to admit, I always thought games that had rules for establishing some kind of domain and then being able to buy "upgrades" for it are fun, as long as they're not too complicated. Shadowrun had a strong "pimp my whatever" element and I liked being able to customize my safehouses with the Sprawl Survival Guide.
But did the Sprawl Survival Guide have mechanical benefits and prices for maintaining a harem?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aren't the basic and AD&D stat generation things wrong, too? I thought you rolled in order and if you didn't like it HA HA gently caress YOU.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Liesmith posted:

Honestly if I was an immortal wizard I'd do poo poo like that. and I'd spend a lot of time standing ominously/majestically on unreachable places like rocks in the middle of the ocean or unscalable cliffs. Being seen by travelers would be welcome but not required

wizardry is one of those make your own entertainment jobs.
Don't forget making poo poo like owlbears and then releasing them into the wild to irritate future adventuring parties.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

space titanium is not the same thing as titanium and if you're getting annoyed about crappy pop-science in a discussion about science fiction then I'm not quite sure what you're expecting here. I could just as easily have said steel but the point is the same
Space Titanium is an alloy of Titanium and Space, clearly. :colbert:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

I kind of want to see if it would be workable to run a game using the exalted ruleset and the d&d cosmology. unfortunately I hear bad things about the exalted rules, so maybe not
A huge chunk of the Exalted cosmology is baked into the rules, really.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bedurndurn posted:

I've played in a Fallout-inspired tabletop before, and our GMs goal of a scarcity/starvation themed game failed when after killing enough raiders our first two sessions, we had enough guns and ammo to be wandering arms dealers.
Sounds about right for Fallout, really. Although it's not complete until one of you walks into a town with nothing but the clothes on your back and a single combat knife and walks out with your clothes, and everything that was for sale in town.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

One of the three core skills (focus I think) lets you enter bullet time but it burns focus to do it. One of the martial arts combos you learn instantly kills a guy and turns him into a focus refilling orb. If you want to have fun with the combat parts of the game, don't do that.
On the other hand, kicking a full-health guy so hard he EXPLODES INTO A CLOUD OF BLOOD is hilarious.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vanilla Bison posted:

In earnest, though, Nobilis sounds pretty cool but how does it cope with people attempting afflictions like "I am dead"?
I'm guessing you hemorrhage Miracle Points to do anything until you get that fixed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Question for those of you who've actually run a lot of high level 3.5/Pathfinder, ... whereas the martial characters were brutally optimized.
No they weren't. You know how I can tell?

They were martial characters. :haw:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

I've been doing this for about 10 years or so, most of them have a pretty good idea I'm not the art pictures I use to present myself
Really. They have a "pretty good idea" that whoever this is isn't really a drawing of a sexy fox or whatever. :stare:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Android Blues posted:

You literally can't even equip a blaster and just shoot them, you have to have one of a possible two force powers to engage in the bossfight gimmick
Three, the "gently caress You Droid" power series works on the tanks too.

EDIT: Also I think Force Drain lets you do the same thing he is. So four, which it is quite possible you may not have any of.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Benagain posted:

Welp, the evil overlord is dead. Let me be the first to say that my support of him was actually a clever ruse designed to lead to his eventual permaing. I'm a hero, like that one dude from Battlestar who eventually gets shot when he mutinies anyway.
This is the third (at least) time he's been permabanned. I fully expect him to pop back up in like 2 or 3 months and resume posting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Thuryl posted:

It bothers me way more than it should that the characters in this cover art are basically Lina and Naga from Slayers reimagined as furries. (Seriously, compare for yourself.)

I mean it's one thing to want to make Furries: The RPG, but who thinks "the first thing our prospective audience should see in order to attract them to our product is a cover plagiarising a generic fantasy anime from the 1990s"?
I'm actually fairly certain that's a trace of some actual official Slayers art. Too lazy to go find it at the moment, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

Or, as we always put it, "Dogs gives you total freedom of choice: you can declare gay marriage okay now, or you can do it later!"
Can you declare it mandatory?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Imagine AD&D with more subsystems, less consistency, and no balance whatsoever. But you can play a pirate ninja zombie cyborg psychic dragon (insert whatever thing you could make in a better generic system)!
Often with incredibly specific rules, which are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the ones for playing a pirate ninja GHOUL psychic dragon, from what I understand.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Liesmith posted:

wait they made a dragon age P&P game? No way in hell would I play that
If it's the one I'm thinking of the mechanics had absolutely nothing to do with the mechanics of the PC game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nonsense. Let's say that Body + Armor + Various Enhancements comes to a grand total of 30 (A ludicrously high number, even for a troll). Then if an assault rifle with explosive rounds goes full auto, dealing 17P damage, on average the troll will take 7P, and die after two bursts. Faster if the guy with the gun is a good shot, or gets lucky.

Players can be pretty much immune to small arms fire, but soldiers and commandos and stuff gently caress runners up.
Won't that be stun damage becuase of his crazy armor? Of course he'll be dropped about as fast anyway, but they'll then have to deliberately kill him otherwise he'll be fine in a day or two of rest. (Possibly in a heavily reinforced cell, but.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

Unless it's BESM
Hey now, don't hate BESM becuase it's "anime". Most of that is in the GM advice/art.

Hate it becuase the system sucks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

How do you feel about BESM D20, a product I still can't wrap my head around?
Never touched it myself but as I understand it's hammering BESM's terribly balanced freeform point based square peg into d20's class-based round hole.

Guilty Spork posted:

The thing about MacKinnon was that he was a huge Amber fan, and was very much the type to hand wave the poo poo out of everything. He basically wanted to make rules that were a thing you would occasionally fall back on in the middle of doing freeform role-play, but he didn't understand or articulate that at all. Instead, he hired David L. Pulver, of GURPS Vehicles same, to work on the system for the second edition, taking the freeform-y base system and trying to turn it into GURPS light. Which was doubly strange considering that (1) MacKinnon has outright stated that he "doesn't believe in balance," and (2) for years he ignored Pulver's pleas to switch to a roll-over system that would fix many problems that had plagued Tri-Stat from the very beginning, until they sat him down and forced him to play through an entire combat.

MacKinnon had a lot of passion, and was apparently a pretty decent businessman, but was pretty terrible as a game designer, not to mention the ethical problems that emerged around the fall of Guardians of Order.
Oh wow, that explains a lot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

What kind of game are you playing of where every roll has a non-zero possibility to kill a character? It sounds really lovely and un-fun, a game of "describe how you minimize risk, in every possible way, for everything you do, for the next four hours."
Gnomemurdered?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheTatteredKing posted:

It's because females literally have -4 strength in FATAL
Doesn't FATAL roll stats on something insane like a d1000 or 4d100?

Guilty Spork posted:

Amber Diceless does have a loyal cult following that still plays it at AmberCon and all that, but I don't know that it fared all that well as an overall commercial enterprise even when it was in print (which AFAIK it hasn't been in a number of years).
The fact that it explicitly encourages the GM to screw over the PCs at every opportunity might have something to do with that. "Cant' be ambushed by invisible undetectable ninjas becuase he plans like he's surrounded by them at ALL TIMES" my rear end.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It's okay to post grognards from other forums, right? I don't know if this is a doozy or not but it's quite... ah gently caress it, here ya go:
Isn't that the primary purpose of the thread? :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fire posted:

I get the feeling, especially with some Northrend quests that some writers were testing to see if anybody even reads the quest text because NPCs were sending you to do things your character should perceive to be vile deeds.
A lot of the poo poo you do only seems to make sense if your character can read the quest reward stuff in your quest log, honestly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gomi posted:

If Tieflings are already persecuted, presumably due to demonic ties/heritage, how dumb is using a demon's name as your patronymic? "Hay guys the chief boss daddy demon is totally my father hey why are you building a big bonfire come on it's cool he'll let us drink his beers"
Not to mention then acting in a way which makes lynching him perfectly justifiable and makes the "bigots" look like they're just sane people with a good point.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jackard posted:

What. What??
He apparently doesn't realize that what they're comparing it to when they say it's easier is 3e. I guess.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Coolness Averted posted:

Why did Exalted become such a playground for this kinda poo poo in 2nd e? They added nearly all of the creepy stuff these asses sperg about in 2nd e. 1st didn't have the "Yes, Dragonblood are inherently horny, oh and the Scarlet Empress is a giant lesbian, oh and here's some powers related to dogfucking to make wolfmen with a +5 against ogres"
I remember 1e having more of the creepy Lunar poo poo, actually. :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

Seriously though dude to be honest I'd take Lesbian Drow Eyeball-Priest over you.
I'm not really getting how that's supposed to be an example of somebody being a "loving whackjob" anyway.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

Well like, if the player goes into way too much detail about the eyeballs or the lesbian thing, then yeah that'd be creepy? But if they're just like "I need eyeballs for my god. Gimme them eyeballs." "YOU HAVE FIVE EYEBALLS." "Also I am going to hit on the princess." then that actually sounds like kind of a fun character.
Oh, yeah, as a PC that seems a little odd, I was thinking a villain. Although now that you mention it, it does sound like it could be fun as a PC if played right.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr Nick posted:

Just so I'm clear (I've never played it), is WoD the system where if you buy stuff with points in the beginning it costs less than if you buy it later leading to all sorts of (nontransparent) implications?b
Yes, I believe so. You buy with flat-cost points in character gen, so the fifth dot costs as much as the fourth dot did,and also the third etc, while after chargen you buy with XP at increasing costs for later dots of things. So yes, from a pure mechanics point of view dumping all your points into your chosen specialty and using XP to shore up side stuff gets you the most bang for your buck.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

I seriously can't go to any other forums anymore. Just seeing the first response in every thread as "first" makes me want to unplug my modem.
Really? It makes me want to go and unplug their modem and strangle them with the cord.

lighttigersoul posted:

Actually, this was my experience when I was given the money for an account, there's a lot of poo poo in SA, but it's a lot better than other places.
And the poo poo that we have is often different poo poo than other forums do.

RPGPundit posted:

1) Claim that this mechanic is primarily intended as a mechanism for altering the game reality, but does it poorly. (of course, it was never meant to be that in reality)
... then, uh. What are they? If you accept that the mechanics for making an attack reflect game reality in some way, then spending some kind of point after the fact to change your roll is clearly editing the game reality, isn't it? :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The degree of what?!?!?!

:psyduck:
Clearly somebody didn't do their homework before posting. Sucks to be him, should've spent more time on system mastery :smug:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

He what?

http://www.postmort.demon.co.uk/hentacle.html Oh my god this page is hilarious. At least on my browser(Firefox 4.something) that sticky note menu thing is covering up most of the disclaimer. And the links to the product itself go to... The Horizon War Volume 1: The Road to Hell on RPGnow.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LGD posted:

The World of Synnibarr loving owns, sorry.

You're acting like having a hosed up bizzare system and a weird-rear end kitchen sink borderline nonsensical setting and owning are mutually exclusive! (Go try to learn Venderant Nalaberong, I dare you. If you can find a page reference for the rules for Ego Rolls you need to do to make it I will buy you forums upgrade of your choice.)

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You are asking someone to do an in-depth read and analysis of both FATAL and Synnibar.

Reality check, here. Why do you want to murder a poor innocent mangoon, Doc Hawkins?! WHY?!?!?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I actually own a PDF of Synnibar. You have to love any system where you can pick "Gnome" as your race and "Elf" as your class.
I own THREE PHYSICAL COPIES OF THE BOOK, (1 first edition, 2 second edition) and a copy of the supplement. I have read the drat thing cover to cover multiple times. If you need somebody to go over it, I am your man.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's a reference to the fact that I've read the book cover to cover and I am confident enough the rules simply do not exist I will cough up money if somebody can prove me wrong. EDIT: Uh, only to the first person who provides proof I'm not crazy here.

Oh, did I mention that you can't possibly pronounce Venderant Nalaberong if you don't learn it through this method, that the Alchemist class does not have it on its ability list, and that some alchemist abilities require you to say words in it to use them?

And another section explicitly prohibits you from house-ruling so you cant' even fix this!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Thuryl posted:

So how exactly did the designers intend to enforce that, given that the players have already decided the rules needed changing?

quote:

You want that guy showing up and pointing at you? Didn't think so.

But seriously, that bit has to be the silliest goddamn thing in the book, and it's competing against poo poo like the "Midnight Sunstone Bazooka", "Venderant Nalaberong", the "Wereman" class (which has nothing whatsoever to do with lycanthropes), and a whole host of other silly poo poo.

EDIT: Quotes! Yes, I should gently caress. My copies are in storage. Well, apparently there's demand, when I turn them up I'll start a thread about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't have time to run another IRC game or I would totally run a completely by-the-book game of Synnibarr. (Because otherwise what's the point?) Everybody loves rolling for loving everything in character generation, right?