Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Meepo posted:

From the reddit AMA:

I scare away all the other players by sperging about longswords for hours on end, please include more solo adventures so I can play by myself. Also if you're looking for someone to sperg for you I'm happy to consult.

Jesus, I am an avowed and proud fight grog and even I don't give a gently caress about the historical accuracy of RPG weapons (other than dual weapons, which I hate.) poo poo, the terminology used to describe and name weapons in fantasy RPGs is the snowflake on the tip of the iceberg of errors and anachronisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I can't wait to get the petition up on G+ because, depressingly, Desborough and I have mutual friends there :sigh:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Newfork posted:

Me too, in fact there was such a huge overlap I blocked him I wouldn't see his stupid comments on every feminist discussion :sigh:

gently caress, I just discovered that the mutual friends we have are not simply because I have friends in the game industry and follow more beyond, also because Desborough is/was a member of the Camarilla (or whatever they call it these days.) There are friends of mine who have actual interactions with this rear end in a top hat, possibly even as, like, friends :cripes:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

This is just loving pitiful. Now I actually regret having spent a dollar on the .PDF of Legend, though I suppose that it does allow me to boycott Mongoose in a slightly more meaningful way. Any of you guys who do melt down, toss some in for me too; I'm too demoralized to melt down on my own.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Guilty Spork posted:

Wait, did Mongoose ever make stuff worthwhile in the first place?

Well they've got Legend/Elric, Earthdawn, Paranoia, and Traveler for whatever those are worth to you.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Didn't that dollar go to a charity?

Not so far as I know, it's just DTRPG's standard price for the core rules.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I kinda want to point out to all the people playing the First Amendment card that Desborough is British and enjoys none of the protections of the US Bill of Rights, just to see what they'd do.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Nolanar posted:

Well, a lot of the critics are American, so they're still breaking the law by disagreeing with him. That's how freedom of speech works, after all.

Oh poo poo, you're right. Now we'll all have to go to The Hague.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Something tells me I'm going to need to avoid this thread, most forums, and G+ for the next few days. :sigh:

Man, my G+ feed is calm and often boring, I'm not sure which one of us is doing it wrong.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

OtspIII posted:

This is something I struggle with. I'm absolutely a supporter of transgression for transgression's sake in art, and I do think that having people willing to mindlessly blow down society's unexamined beliefs is a hugely important part of maintaining an intellectually healthy culture. That said, there's a fine line in transgressive art between not playing by society's rules and reinforcing society's unstated rules, and that's what bugs me about Desborough's work--they're all about the perpetuation of majority norms and stereotypes.

To me, the big determiner of whether or not an artist can cross the line into tasteless/shocking/offensive art is the quality; if it's good enough it can get away with a lot. The further it goes, the higher the quality needs to be to justify it. It also helps if the transgression serves an actual point or is actually saying something. Substance, shockingly, helps. That's why, for example, Ever Mainard's "here's your rape" routine was well-received; it's funny and actually serves a purpose. Even quality doesn't guarantee anything; there are many reasons that Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus doesn't get performed a lot and it's not that it's one of his bad plays; it's the rape and brutalization of Lavinia. James loving Desborough is a lovely, hack RPG writer and is getting exactly what he deserves, which is to say that he's ignoring the issues and won't change a loving thing because he's a horrible human being.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I think I can remember Jim Butcher saying that's why he put mind magic entirely outside the sphere of things Wizards can do in the Dresden Files; the further away from fairy tale logic you take it, the more horrifying it starts to look.

The Dresden universe does have mind magic; it's a dark magic that damages the soul of the target and warps the mind and soul of the user.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Inevitable posted:

Or, for something involving the PCs, a plot ripped off from A Midsummer Night's Dream, where fairies make mischief for the party by sprinkling love powder on their iron rations?

No role playing game will ever be Shakespeare and even if by some bizarre fluke of reality and RPG hit that level of quality, things that work on stage or in a novel don't always work in a game or in a film. Every medium has its individual strengths and weaknesses; novels are great for the interior lives of characters, theatre is great for emotional immediacy, film is great for expansive action but it's very hard to mix those strengths into different media. Macbeth is a phenomenal play but would make for an unbearably lovely RPG; I know, I bought a d20 module of it out of morbid curiosity.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

JDCorley posted:

It's the recipients of rape threats who are the real monsters.

Why doesn't anyone ever think about the poor, innocent rapists? It must be hell to be forced into that situation by a whiny, slutty, misandrist female.

(I am terrified that someday we will see this posted unironically.)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

So everyone is going to boycott Mongoose now?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

He uses an esoteric martial technique known as, "Turning"

It's an anime bullshit technique called "Reaching Across The Body."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Chaltab posted:

I think a lot of people conflate roleplaying with acting, but it doesn't really even need to be that in the context of the game. You don't have an audience (unless you're playing with ThursdayKnights or LordKat, I guess) so speaking with conviction and doing the voices isn't really necessary. RP in RPGs is about making decisions in-character. Damakos is a pious devotee of Pelor, so he'd probably stand up for the downtrodden even if it means getting beat with a mace. Fhaerris is a Paladin of Bahamut, so she'd probably defend a city from marauding orcs even if it means attracting unwanted attention to herself.

The roleplaying=acting thing always amuses the hell out of me. Most of my gaming group are actors or are otherwise part of the theatre world (violence designers mostly) and while we go in for characterization at the table, which usually does mean voices/dialects, most of the roleplaying/acting stuff we do online between sessions. At the table, we sink our teeth into the crunch; combats, chases, rolling dice and laying waste. I'd much rather spend an evening with people really focusing on making decisions in a way that makes for a consistent character like you describe than to have people essentially masturbating with their oh, so fancy *~roleplaying~*. That "deep" and "immersive" Method style that so many grogs seem to crave would be absolutely tortuous and unfun to deal with and we'd none of it.