Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

HKR posted:

Yeah, those are definitely dark side actions, but they're stupid, lazily written dark side actions. Most of the points the guy makes are dumb or completely wrong, but his basic principle remains true.

Yeah. Jade Empire is a game that has great evil actions, because they actually give you ways to solve in-game puzzles in an easier, unprincipled way. Most games just give you a couple bucks at best and absolutely no reward at worst. But that doesn't have too much to do with anything, so back to the grognard posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

FirstCongoWar posted:

Martial Controller: Samurai
Kill Bill vol 1; the fight-scene agains the Crazy 88.
That is what the martial controller should look like.

With the Ki power source presumed dead, the other power sources are now able to swoop in and snatch up all of its flavor.
Part of the problem with designing martial controllers was trying to figure out a distinctive flavor for it. With oriental sources to draw from now, we have that distinctive flavor.

The Samurai wields a daisho (a long sword in the main hand and a shorter sword in the off-hand) and spins around rapidly slicing dudes in half while yelling crazy warcries.

Maybe the Samurai could have a splash of defender as a secondary role. Perhaps with powers that mark, but with no 'Combat Challenge' analogous feature, so that the Samurai's marks are only a -2 penalty to attacks.

Ideas:

Quickdraw as a bonus feat.

A power that lets you tilt your blades to reflect light like mirrors, blinding enemies in the light.

An attack that lets you swing your swords with enough force that the air pressure is enough to damage enemies beyond your melee reach.

You yell 'Hiya!!!' and all the enemies are paralyzed with fear.

An attack that kicks up sand and dust as you swing your blades and blinds enemies.

What do you think?

Maybe I haven't played enough 4e, but that doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. Probably overpowered in the first pass or two, but if you give the attacks a low damage, I could see it working

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I'm sure I'm missing something here, but what is this big Pathfinder debate? It's a prestige class in the 4e PHB, and it does look powerful, but I don't understand why there's some controversy about it

EDIT: Looked it up and it's a 3.5 expansion, which I guess would make it 3.75

Cyrai fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 28, 2009

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

IMJack posted:

1: If I ever hear another player say "I hit him" during melee combat I'm going to scream, take all of their karma, and shove it in a dark uncomfortable place. "Hit him" doesn't tell me anything. Be creative, for Gods sakes.

2: The same goes for "I shoot him".

3: Just once I'd like to hear a character running through the sewers say: "You, know what? I'm really getting tired of the smell of poo poo...."

5: It would be nice, just once, to meet a Street Samurai who has a collection of antiquated Buddy Holly 45s. (For you kids who have never seen a 45, they look kinda like CDs only they're black and a bit bigger and don't require the use of a laser in order to listen to them.)

9: A decker who is a master of computers, but still writes poetry on an antique typewriter, is destined to receive large amounts of roleplaying karma.

10: Same goes for a troll mercenary who likes to play an acoustic guitar.

11: Self imposed vulnerabilities are the most reliable way to make your character more human. Without such vulnerabilities your character is simply a living robot portraying the disposable qualities of such an entity.

13: If your character gets shot in the arm stop you should, for a split second, look at your own arm, visualize the bullet hole, visualize the blood, and imagine the pain before you decide to pull your own gun instead of ducking for cover.

14: When your shaman clutches his or her talisman while casting a spell think of the talisman's history, think for the energy flowing from it, think of why this energy is flowing, and make sure you understand how this power is manifesting in reality.

16: To a rigger his vehicle is as alive as he is. The two are one. For this reason a rigger's vehicle never gets damaged, it gets hurt.

18: The GM can come up for an excuse for everything. Never forget that.

20: Never act: EXPERIENCE.

Yeah, most of these are pretty good ideas

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Kemper Boyd posted:

How many ET video games do you see today, and what happened to those made for the Atari?

"4th edition D&D" is the "Atari 2600 ET" of the RPG world.

Let's check some numbers, shall we? Of the 20 best selling books in the Puzzles and Gaming >> Role-Playing Games category on Amazon, 4e books hold 14 spots (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8, #11, #13, #15, #16, #17, #18, and #19). Five of those, including #1, haven't even been released yet; the preorders along are enough to put them in the top 20. Other edition books hold three other slots. The only other RPG in the top #20 is Star Wars RPG.

In Entertainment >> Puzzles and Games, 4th edition has 5 spots (#4, #5, #7, #14, and #18). The only things higher are the Sims 3 guide and two GRE prep courses. The unreleased Eberron holds slot #455 in sales out of every book on Amazon.

Out of the top 100 role-playing and fantasy products, D&D books and minis from all editions have over half the slots(55). I don't think WotC is in too bad of shape. And if that's not a grognards.txt worthy post, then I'll be damned

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

opaopa13 posted:

What the hell IS this? At first I thought it was your standard, "WotC cares about making money, ergo 4e sucks", but actually it looks like his argument is, "A word can't refer to two different things -- thus, now that 'D&D' refers to a franchise, it can no longer refer to a game." Is he really claiming you can't discuss D&D anymore? What?

No, I'm pretty sure he's 'just' saying that, because 4e is so bad, it has retroactively tainted everything that was brilliant and inspired in the other editions. Not that that makes any more sense, but, you know, grognard

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

It's a stupid gently caress-you monster. It always has been. Getting the full value of your kit back is simply analogous to taking an extended rest and recharging everything else.

They're better than level drain enemies, but they're still horrid

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

brennon posted:

Sounds like the baby 4tard got his panties in a twist :rolleyes:. Surprise, MMO child can't deal with actual combat where your gear is arbitrarily destroyed or levels drained. Don't be butthurt because 4e is literally a MMORPG with spawn points, not everyone can enjoy the depth of gameplay My Group routinely experiences. Continue your flailing though, I feed off of this.

God, if only you weren't such a scrub GM, this wouldn't even be a problem. My first D&D game I ran(which happened to include GARY GYGAX, thank you very much) fought five rust monsters as their first, level one encounter and I didn't get one complaint about it. All you have to do: only give your PCs leather armor and axes with adze heads. Sure, the rest of the world had swords and chain/plate mail and sure, they all died after killing the second rust monster, but their corpses had all their armor. And afterward, everyone thanked me for showing them how to play a Real RPG that has Serious Consequences; the only thing they were sorry for was that I couldn't kill them even faster:smug:

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Amish Ninja posted:

Ok, so I drug out the books today v1, 2, 3 and 3.5 and started looking what way to direct my new campaign. I then said ok, borrowed a set of 4 and was like hmmm. Then downloaded the beta char. builder from wizards. Ok, when the drat char sheet reads like a fricking manual, its too much work.

I'm going back to AD&D 1st, adding in Arduin rules and a few others I've picked up. I wan't a fast fun game not an accounting job!

Yes, the DC's in 3.5 are cool and make life fun but, add this, add that add this feat, this power etc etc etc. How about, did you roll high enough after pluses to hit an AC 5?

How, how how is creating a character more complicated in 4e than any other edition ever? How is it more complicated to create a 4e character than a character that's 6 levels of fighter, 1 level of bard, 9 levels of druid, 3 levels of Sublime Chord presige class, and 1 level of rogue? How is it easier to build characters when different classes have different exp level requirements? How is it easier creating a character when the classes have ability requirements? How is it easier creating characters when skill amounts are based off intelligence? How is it easier creating a character when the systems don't give you suggested builds? How is it easier to create a character when you have regular skills and class skills, with different number of points to increase? How could you possibly think that?

Cyrai fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 11, 2009

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Amish Ninja posted:

The only way his post isn't completely retarded is if he was comparing 1st Edition to 4th.

He might have been. I couldn't tell exactly what he was referring to, and I've only played 3 and up. Still, though, 4e is not complicated except compared to, like, Paranoia

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://mxyzplk.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/why-complain-about-4e-stop-the-edition-wars/

It's great because he opens up trying to look rational and impartial then basically gets paranoid and calls 4e hitler again.

Jesus, you're right. "Oh god, I'm going to have trouble finding a game for once in my life! Why has the realm of RPGs cast me out? Do you not find me worthy? Me, who has written thousands of words about RPGs? How could you not look upon my humble efforts and carve my opinions into Law, so that new players may gaze at them and weep, knowing that they have finally found their home?"

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Holy. Christ. This literally reads like an MMO guide.

"DUDE YOU'RE A TANK SO TAKE THE HITS"

"DEFEND YOUR TEAMMATES BECAUSE THAT'S YOUR ROLE"

"TIEFLINGS MAKE BAD FIGHTERS BECAUSE THEY'RE SMART. ROLL DWARF OR DRAENEI FOR THE BEST STATS"

"YOU'RE A loving GUARDIAN, DO YOU HEAR ME? PLAY YOUR ROLE OR GET THE gently caress OUT"

"CARRY A JAVELIN BECAUSE YOU CAN'T USE A BOW LOL"

"MARK YOUR ENEMIES AND THEN HIT 'TAUNT'"

The 3.5 version:
"YOU'RE A WIZARD, DO YOU HEAR ME? CAST SPELLS INSTEAD OF USING A SHORT SWORD OR GET THE gently caress OUT"

"THAT CHASM IS TOO LONG TO JUMP NORMALLY. YOU SHOULD TAKE A RUNNING START AND THEN HIT 'JUMP'"

"HALF ORCS MAKE BAD WIZARDS BECAUSE THEY HAVE AN INT PENALTY. ROLL ELF OR HUMAN FOR THE BEST STATS"

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

I wonder if he's referring to the codification of skill challenges. It's still a ridiculous claim, but I'm still looking for a basis to it somewhere.

Why would you try to do something like that?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Kemper Boyd posted:

OK, I need a link to this. I have to understand this insanity

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I don't even know if this is a parody anymore.

Drop the bomb, exterminate the brutes.

It's not. From the GITP thread Kemper linked

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Why is he talking about people playing NPCs? Does he just not know what words mean, or is there something really weird in Mythender?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I was wondering today: does any company let anyone else make prodcuts for their RPG line? Can anyone write a Call of Cthulhu book or a Paranoia book? I'm not aware of anything like that for other RPGs, which would make criticism of D&D allowing anything somewhat silly. Then again, I probably wouldn't know if another RPG had a GSL or whatever

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

The General posted:

Fake edit: what of my unironic grognard beliefs?

Simple. You're a creepy gently caress for reasons I no longer remember but will continue to believe for months

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

The General posted:

Liking 3.x qualifies as grognard now? Jesus I'm old.

No, but I'd be very hard-pressed to say this isn't grognard:

The General posted:

I'm not sure I want to bring children into this world of sissy gaming, don't get me started with this new age indi gaming poo poo either. Let's all work together to make a story! gently caress no. It's DM vs. Player, the smart and resourceful live to see their name level, the rest are forgotten like the idiots they were.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Burn it to the ground

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

FirstCongoWar posted:

When preparing a spell (or preparing a spell slot, which spontaneous casters must do), you must take 1 hour per level of the spell. At the end, the DM makes a hidden DC 10*spell level check, where any D20 roll equal to or less than the level of the spell is an automatic failure. The skill for the check is Knowledge Nature for nature casters (Druids, Rangers, etc), Knowledge Religeon for divine casters (Clerics, Paladins, etc), and Spellcraft for arcane casters (Wizards, Bards, etc). When you try to cast the spell, if you've succeeded on the check it goes off normally. If you fail, the spell fails and you take a backlash effect, randomly chosen depending on the school of the spell you tried to cast (so failed necromancy spells do things like cause permanent wisdom decreases and negative energy damage, failed conjurations summon powerful things that attack you or teleport you into physical objects, etc). The save DC against backlash effects, if there's a save at all, is 5*spell level. Every time you cast a spell there's a chance of dying. As such, spellcasters are HEAVILY nerfed, and not expected to be played. When creating magic items, the spells required must be cast every day... so bad idea!

Wow, that's a little...overstrong

FirstCongoWar posted:

All players heal rapidly when out of sight and no one's after them (fast healing equal to your HD, only when I as the DM decide you're between encounters).

Speaking of D&D being video games, that's straight out of almost every FPS in the last couple years. That's more video game-y than anything in 4E

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

laldabaoth posted:

In oMage, my rogue Progenitor barrabi created a bioengineered virus templated off of rabies, that started by destroying the brain's capacity to experience joy or pleasure of any kind. Then it progressed by destroying the brain's capacity to regulate pain or misery. Finally, it slowed down the metabolism, retarding and then shutting down everything but the central nervous system.

Extremely virulent, airborne, with a week's incubation period and then a slow and incurable onset. By the end of it, the victim is curled up, sobbing and wretching, and utterly incapable of feeling anything but the most horrible feelings of self-loathing, desperation, panic, helplessness and raw anguish imaginable. And with your body rotting around you, the disease tweaks your metabolism sufficiently to keep your mind alive and conscious in that state for a good six to eight weeks (more if you have a healthy amount of fat reserves).

I arranged with some Pentex associates to slip dormant virus doses into all of GlaxoSmithKline's anti-depressant medications, so that the "first wave" of victims would be people with known bipolar and general depressive symptoms.

Then our Verbena barrabi worked in a bit of sympathetic Mind/Correspondence/Spirit magic to offer everyone infected a way out: if they were willing to invite in a Bane, then the virus couldn't kill them, and as long as they inflicted deliberate, sadistic torture on another being, every bit of anguish suffered by the other being would be lessened slightly from their own symptoms, based on the level of intimacy between you and your victim. Torturing a stranger might shave off an equivalent 1% of your own misery; torturing your co-worker might shave off 5%; torturing your own son or daughter might shave off as much as 50%.

And then we just sat back and let nature take its course.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Same here. I have never had anyone pull anything really gross in any game I've either ran or played in. It's just strange how these people manage to find one another.

It's just statistics. These people would last, what, maybe two sessions in a normal game before they have to move on? They probably go through twenty times more groups than most of us go through seriously. Odds are one of their thousand groups has a person like them, and then it's down to horrible destiny

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
That Forgotten Realms thread is making my brain hurt. I'm surprised I haven't been electrocuted with so many neurons firing, trying to figure out what in the hell they're talking about.

The most pathetic part for me right now are the people that have been fans of the canon for over 25 years. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say their parents got them Dragon magazine when they were 10. That still makes them almost 40 years old. Don't they have anything more important to do than post things like

quote:

I am hard pressed to think of an example in recent literature where a beloved story series so richly woven with coherancy was abused so badly. In last night's conversation, my friend stated repeatedly how there could be no sense to it, and suggested these decisions were made without the best interests of the players in mind.
or

quote:

It was all a dream? Try a recurring nightmare. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to prevent myself from looking at the new Realms novels whenever I'm browsing for books in the fantasy section of the bookstore. Kinda like a toothache you keep poking even though it hurts and you know you shouldn't.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Wow, I'm not sure I've ever seen so much hyperbole meant seriously

quote:

But no, instead they took a flamethrower to the place we know and love...this, more than -any- other reason (even more than it not feeling like real D&D anymore) is why I'm not interested in 4e. They ruined the place we loved, relieved themselves on the ashes, and poured them over our heads while laughing maniacally. I hope like hell WotC's market share burns as badly as they burned FR...I hope (even though I know it's fruitless) that by this time next year, WotC will no longer -have- a market share.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I think I would support Wizards of the Coast even more if they deliberately changed FR to piss off the people in that thread. I mean, they're already halfway there

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Etherwind posted:

Age isn't really a factor. I know plenty of older gamers who are perfectly nice people to hang out with and befriend.

Being a total grognard makes you a douche regardless of your age. These people are total grognards. It's one thing to say "I don't like this for x reasons," and another thing to post that stuff.

I don't disagree at all. It just impresses me that in their 40s, they're still as grognardy as they are now. There are 40 year old roleplayers who were grognards in their starting years, and there are people in their teens and 20s who are grognards. I just can't or won't believe that many of the 20 year old grognards still care that much in 20+ years

Kerison posted:

Christopher Perkins is in charge of the RPG department at WotC, iirc. (He's changed positions a few times over the years, but he's under Slavicsek and over the grunts.) He's quite likable in person.

He's likable in business too. Anyone that could dismiss the people in that thread without a second thought is a great guy

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Seftir posted:

This is it. Why can't the whiners just realize, ya know, that it's all bullshit and they can do whatever they want?

They have a point in that the novels are based off the official changes. That being said, their point is worthless because they care about D&D novels

shotgunbadger posted:

Also what he did that's so evil is basically killed/banished the mary sue characters, actually advanced the world in a meaningful way, and left it open for players to finally be heroes without being overshadowed by NPCs.

This, of course, is horrible because

That is completely not true. He also threw away thousands of years of back story, such as

quote:

*Puts on sage hat*

In the days of the Crown Wars (and before), there were still multiple elven races. One of them was the Ilythiiri . These were the dark elves. They were native to the south and concentrated in two kingdoms. When we got through the 4th Crown War (IIRC), the mandate of Corellon and the High Magic of several elven races forced the Ilythiiri underground as retaliation for war crimes even more heinous than those of the sun elves of Aryvandaar (butchered that one too). In addition, the dark elves went from dusky skin to black. Old elven history. Now, there's one detail I neglected: not all drow became dark elves at the end of the Lady Penitent series. Only those drow that worshipped Eilistraee or were descended from the dark elven population of Miyeritar were transformed. The rest remain the black-skinned scheming evil that we all know and love. So all this time, the term "dark elf" has been used but is only correct based on a technicality.

*puts away sage hat*
and

quote:

There might be some precedent for the distinction in medieval Norse paganism, from which elves or álfar come. Snorri Sturluson, who wrote the Prose Edda in early 13th century Iceland (after it had become Christian) distinguished between ljósálfar (light elves) and dřkkálfar (dark elves). Earlier sources make reference to svartálfar, or black elves, with no apparent connection to Snorri's dřkkálfar, but with connection to the dvergar, or dwarves, which also come from Norse paganism. (Some of you will notice that not only does "dwarf" come from Old Norse "dvergar" but so does "duergar.") There is some suggestion that the dvergar were female fertility spirits, associated with Fejya, and that álfar were their male counterparts, associated with Frey. This isn't entirely clear, however, because some sources refer to dísir as female fertility spirits associated with Frejya instead. (Note that it's no coincidence that Tolkien named his one female dwarf "Dis.") In some sources the álfar appear to the the spirits of the dead, living in burial mounds (much like Tolkien's barrow wights, albeit not always viewed as evil).

The English word "drow" actually comes from Scottish, a softened version of the Scottish word "trow" (the word having experienced what linguists call consonantal shift--a shift form a hard consonant to a related softer consonant) which comes from the Old Norse word "troll." Although Gary Gygax (whose first posthumous birthday comes in 5 days) created a sharp distinction among dwarves, elves and trolls, the lines were much blurrier in Norse paganism.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

shotgunbadger posted:

So then what you mean is we need to give the man a drat medal and make the release date of the FR Campaign Guide 'National Hug Chris Perkins Day'?

If I didn't say that explicitly, that is 100% what I meant to say, yes

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

opaopa13 posted:

What the heck are you doing?? Don't you know that WotC has banned all knowledge of pre-4e sourcebooks? You'll get us all killed!

Knowledge of pre-4e sourcebooks? Not one drat sentence in the entire thread makes sense. I dare you to find a hint of information you can use to gain knowledge

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Kemper Boyd posted:

I think that RPGs reached their height before AD&D 1st Ed came out and have been spiraling deeper into the Well of Ultimate Suckitude ever since.

I think "more complete rules to avoid GM arbitrariness" is a code phrase for "lovely social skills".

I think the day D&D became aimed at 14 year olds instead of adult wargamers was the death of it.

Bah. That guy must be like 5 years old. A real adult buys a rule book with one page, and the only thing written on that page is. "Just make it the gently caress up"

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

shotgunbadger posted:

This really has nothing to do with grognards and is more of a reminder that racists suck I guess, so thanks?

1) It's funny, and B) it might not fit the precise definition of grognard as whiner, but it's overwhelmingly nerdy to have white supremacists arguing about D&D

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
nah, we can just kill kerison

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

"I go way back with dungeons and dragons"

Ah the classic line to justify anything you say about 4e no matter how retarded.

Edit: yikes. I'll never get the paranoia with being told what to do. The bit where he drones on about the tiers is bizzare. Grognards complain about how 4e fails to cover certain scenerios but then bitches about this? The book merely suggests a certain type of adventure at those levels you're not required...

Why does he keep using "The 8,000 Pound Gorilla sitting in the corner of the room"? Does he think he's clever for combining 2 phrases?

The skill challenges bit is good. "The game is MAKING me use these!"

He calls the game overcomplicated too? What the gently caress?

Edit: And a Pathfinder plug to finish it off? Perfect.

The only especially good bit was when he said that 4E wasn't suited for people who get together every other week with beer and pretzels to casually role play. It's the single best D&D edition for that purpose. There is no better D&D for a casual group

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

plarp posted:

The complaint that classes excel at different things is mind-boggling. When have fighters not been pigeonholed into hitting things, or rogues into sneaking around backstabbing people?

OK, yeah, you're right. I forgot. The greatest thing to ever come from this thread and 4E is this part of the review:

quote:

...if you play a wizard, your job now is no longer really to level the playing field with fireball after fireball; it's to command the playing field, to help your warriors out to do something, to help your thieves to sneak around to strike and run, to help your rangers shoot their arrows better. If you play a warrior, your job is to run in and hit things...That is, they said, "You know, the fighters get really hosed because the wizards have all these different opportunities and the fighter does, "I attack.""

Those three sentences easily sum up 95% of this thread. "If you play a wizard, your job is no longer to kill every enemy that has ever existed; it is now to help your team do things. If you play a warrior, your job now is to hit things. That's different from the 'real' D&D because they acknowledged that fighters don't do anything interesting because wizards kill every enemy that ever existed and the fighters job is to hit things"

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

brennon posted:

fail at math? nah i rolled 10 times i saved 9 times i am pretty sure thats correct math though, its typical online behavior.

Not only does he fail at math, he fails at math so hard he doesn't even understand what it is

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

LGD posted:

Ok, but that doesn't make it grognardy. We're talking about extremely nerdy hobbies here, demonstrating some system mastery hardly makes you a self-important and cheeto-stained mouthbreather. Well played druids with awful physical stats (except constitution after the wildshape errata) are just vastly better than even the most optimized of fighters. If this offends your sensibilities you should probably be complaining about the system, rather than the people who are willing to point this out.

(Also: Due to the animal companion, the Druid with godawful stats probably isn't even contributing that much less to the party in terms of melee fighting prowess for the first 5 levels.)

Joudas posted:

Ok, but that doesn't make it grognardy. We're talking about extremely nerdy hobbies here, demonstrating some system mastery hardly makes you a self-important and cheeto-stained mouthbreather. Well played druids with awful physical stats (except constitution after the wildshape errata) are just vastly better than even the most optimized of fighters. If this offends your sensibilities you should probably be complaining about the system, rather than the people who are willing to point this out.

(Also: Due to the animal companion, the Druid with godawful stats probably isn't even contributing that much less to the party in terms of melee fighting prowess for the first 5 levels.)

Edit: poo poo, beaten.

:confused:

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

quote:

but the orginailty of D&D was it’s complexity sure there where thousands and rules and things to keep in mind but i read them manuals over and over again and i would only adopt what worked and kept the game flow but having so many options gave me alot inspiration to try out and revamp my own games and sure you can do that with the new editions but only buy praticing and learning them rules till they where embded in your head could a dm be a true god

I'll rewrite this so it's actually legible.
"The best part of D&D was its complexity. There were a ton of rules, but I read them until I knew them well enough to adjust them how I liked. Sure, you could do that with the new editions, but you have to read them until you know them well enough.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Red_Mage posted:

So as a Hypothetical exercise, lets pretend we are the ones who are objectively wrong, using nothing but fallacies and shoddy house rules to support 4e. What exactly would they do to fix 4e. So far the only complaint I've seen that can be "fixed" is "I can't play my horrible combination of 17 classes." And WotC seems to be trying to help with that, what with the new Paragon Paths, Dual Classing, and Multiclass feat classes.

What more do they want that 4e can't give them?

A lot of what they want is an RPG that can never produce any ambiguous situation. They also seem to want an RPG that has simple rules that can cover every situation imaginable that also concretely link the effects of the action with the actual physical representation of the effect without room for misinterpretation, or even any interpretation at all. More importantly, they want a game in which every rule works perfectly in every remotely applicable situation without any adaptation, and the most important is that they want a game which does not require the least bit of common sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I wonder how their opinions or arguments would change if WoW had never been made, or even if there were never any MMORPGs. If you're a grognard that doesn't like 4E, it's almost guaranteed you'll say it's WoW. Normal people who just don't like 4E just say they don't like 4E. Is there anything else that 95% of the grognards could agree on and use as a rallying cry if there was no WoW?