Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

h_double posted:

This is also why there are a ton of Monopoly derivatives like Pirateopoly and Weedopoly. As long as you don't reference the original trademark, you can't copyright a ruleset.

According to that page, and the cited case law, you actually can reference the original trademark, so long as you're just saying you're compatible with it and not trying to present yourself as it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you threw out the one sentence that mentioned 4e that wouldn't be bad at all, and even with it it's not all that grognardy. It sounds more like he's saying the new and the old approach are both good but he prefers the old, not that the new approach is horrible.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

lighttigersoul posted:

Wait wait wait.

Stealing from Robin's Laws in 2008 is bad. But back in 1998 it was AOkay, progressive, and poo poo?

I definitely think Robin's Laws is still the most complete work on the subject, so I'm trying to figure out how resembling it can be ANYTHING but a good thing. . .

Of course, I'm not a game designer, so maybe I have no right to talk about things like this?

He wasn't complaining because it was stealing, he was complaining because it wasn't new. And he didn't say his stuff came from Robin's Laws, he said that the 4e DMG took stuff from both. It's still a dumb argument, but it's a different kind of dumb than what you thought.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

NinjaDebugger posted:

People are STILL defending 2nd edition as the best edition ever.

People are still defending Basic Set as the best edition ever.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Malachamavet posted:

For a character with some Vecna-related history, I did some research. There's all sorts of "the X of Vecna" items throughout the editions. Wiki has a good list, actually.

But those all (the ones that aren't hand and eye) were all from a single pretty dumb module anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Drox posted:

The thing is it's a material limitation rather than intentional; I use chess pieces for monsters, and so have to go to pawns any time there's more than four of one kind of monster. I tried using multiple types of pieces to represent the same actual enemy type, but it just confused my players.

If it bugs you couldn't you just get another set of chess pieces? (But I don't see why it would, I also like that idea.)