Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well yeah, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Unsticky this thread. Maybe try Roleplaying instead of Rollplaying next time, OP.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Haha how can you type so much just for a "4e is WoW" troll?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm a nerd therefore i have no concept of brevity :byodood:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ferrinus posted:

dailies and healing surges that reset after every encounter could be pretty fun if balanced right

A lot of DMs treat them like this anyway in my experience by having PCs do, at most, two combats before an extended rest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Page 1 of 28

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh, no, sorry. A 17 doesn't hit the sheep's AC.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Warden and Artificer are the martial controllers. They just have typos.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Storytelling Games.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what if youre a warforged

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If only WotC flavored things more for me, then I wouldn't have to be creative with my roleplaying.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hm yes, let's compare this thing we hate to wildly popular MMORPG World of Warcraft, a game quickly approaching 12 million subscribers and is nothing short of a cultural phenomenon. That'll show WotC. :D

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hate fun and have no friends.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What the gently caress?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The General posted:

I would say someone who doesn't give their character some personality is a scrub who shouldn't be allowed at the table :colbert:

Da Fwiggin Poopy Palpy wasn't saying that characters should be void of personality. What he was saying is that you don't have to have some stupid Drow-With-A-Heart-Of-Gold bullshit to define your personality. There's nothing wrong with being an Orc who has the bloodlust and, much like the vast majority of his people, enjoys getting down and dirty. This doesn't make your character shallow, what makes your character shallow is leaving it at that. Explain why your Orc likes doing those things - even something as simple as "that was his entire world growing up, it's what his friends did, it's what his parents did, and by golly, he loved it too."

You don't need something "quirky" to define who you are.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

She has 70 user pictures. All of them are half naked chicks, naked chicks, cleavage shots, and sexually explicit anime pictures. Add in the factor that she plays a lot of roleplaying games and I start seeing the stereotypes I've encountered before.

Not that I have anything against a "sexually liberated" woman by the way but that's a little ridiculous for a livejournal centered around mostly roleplaying game logs.

Plus her commentary on Star Trek was a little :what:

This is the worst post I've ever seen.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bob Smith posted:

Also, since when was anecdotal evidence something worthy of mockery?

Everyone's opinions are equally brilliant and valid I agree. I also shave with a golf pencil, who are you to tell me differently.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The General posted:

I'm not sure where to start with this. So I'll just point out the bolded section, he's so poor he has to buy boardgames on layaway :smith:

I agree with his point but I'd never write words about it on the internet. Hell I'd still probably buy the "full" one just to be able to play 5-6 player, but the option would be nice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah i've seen characters gimp themselves in order to properly play a character concept. this is much better than 4e, where they do not need to gimp themselves to play said concept.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its ok to roleplay loving demons as long as there are concrete rules for it. otherwise it's creepy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ok

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What is actually broken about Truenamer? All I know is the fluff was cool, I never read what the class actually does.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thanks to his healing surge and a Healing Word from the cleric of the party, however, the dwarf was able to rise again to join the fray. Huzzah for powergaming!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I love the bit where he thinks being able two kill two minions is borderline overpowered.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The General posted:

This is the problem with gamers today. In the olden days, if there were no rules for it, you failed. Everytime. But no, you wussies can't handle a little failure in your games and just hand out success like halloween candy. :colbert:

Unironically agreeing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Eggplant Ronin posted:

That poo poo is mind boggling to me. How could you even cover everything about roleplay?

Use Rope

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if i could shapeshift you bet your sweet bippy i'd turn into a hot girl and fondle myself/get hosed by a few hot guys

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The General posted:

Fag.

I'd turn into a hot girl and get hosed by some hot girls with magic strapons.

fallacy, hot gay girls dont exist

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you don't detail your fantasy race's sexual habits, well, i just don't think you belong in TGD.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bob Smith posted:

I think the sort of DMs that want rules or skills for everything are the ones who love to go "OH HO, YOU FAILED THIS SKILL ROLL SO YOU poo poo YOURSELF/YOU FALL AS A PALADIN/YOU GET RAPED" and penalise people harshly for failing basic skill checks they would normally take 10 on as a power trip.

i do this anyway

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i unironically think that making people mess up on natural 1s is freakin' hilarious and hate when people don't enforce it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really don't care if someone doesn't like the mechanics of 4e, but I really don't get the "this isn't D&D!" complaint.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fenarisk posted:

I don't get his "It actively stops roleplaying and is an MMO" comment either, never have.

I "get" that, in that I understand it (and disagree), but I don't get why people are hung up on the next version of a game being different than the previous version. It's like people complaining that SMB3 is too different from SMB.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gently caress you The General!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
trolled idiot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's more interesting to play a weaker character because then you don't have to think of any unique traits yourself.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are people actually retarded enough to not understand the role of minions, or is it just a convenient scapegoat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I actually agree with that post, nerds seem to think that if their significant other doesn't share every single one of their nerdy pasttimes that it's a waste and frankly it's stupid and can ruin an evening

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its a guy farting man you're off base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's bullshit to say "without death there is no heroism", but there needs to be risk for sure. Death is just a very convenient and elementary risk since it doesn't force the players to have interesting stories that allow the DM to dabble. Maybe that 45 year old paladin is just adventuring to earn money for his family back home; the Big Bad might pick up on this and whoops sorry we killed your wife and took your baby hostage and plan on raising it to be a dark sorceror. Cheers.