Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
To an extent. The biggest issue is that flavor shouldn't be a means of destroying the game for you. D&D has always had a modular setting at its core, and refusing to accept a part of that core should only fuel reason to exploit its modularity, not refuse the game outright.

Take me for example. No matter how hard I try or how much I play 4th Edition, dragonborn women with breasts bothers the hell out of me. It's not that the developers didn't make enough of an effort to make it reasonable, or that the setting is poorly written... the problem solely rests with the fact that I think it's stupid. I'm not going to give up the whole game because of dragon mammaries, however. I'm simply going to alter my own setting so that they don't have dra-cans, while simultaneously avoiding playing female dragonborn in other settings. Simple as that.

In that same vein, it applies to everything. You don't like that hit points equal luck, then change the reasoning in your games. Maybe in your world, people literally do have hundreds of gallons of blood, and are capable of taking ludicrous amounts of punishment. The flavor is all about visualization, and how you visualize the game in your mind is something left to yourself... there is no requirement to match your mental image of a world with everyone else's, including the guy who made the setting you happen to be playing. Maybe the city of Sharn looks awfully reminiscent of the city of Midgar in FF7 in your head. Maybe beholders look like hentai tentacle monsters, with other pieces of anatomy replacing the eyestalks (making their ray attacks all the more horrific, no?). It's your mind, picture things however you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

clockworkjoe posted:

the best part is that he taped thumbtacks on himself and was so goddamn :smug: about it

You're saying that like any part of this story ever actually happened.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

brennon posted:

Oh jesus there's a full version of that picture :gonk:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
No jobs for a pay-to-play game master OR a freestyle nunchaku tutor? What is this economy coming to? :ohdear:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I can't make a bow-specialized fighter like Robin Hood, also I can't make a bow-specialized thief like Robin Hood loving CHECKMATE 4E WHORES

ps just found out i also can't make a bow-specialized warlock like robin hood what is this chicanery

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 14, 2009

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
2nd ed also didn't have Barbarians in the PHB (despite Arnold the Conan), but that's really the least of this guy's worries.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mikan posted:

And a retreat to five alignments? The White Box originally had three, so that's two more personality types than when I started, and four less than yesterday. Frontal lobotomies for everyone! Why have people think about morality and freewill?

i too have trouble thinking about morality and free will with only 5 alignments available

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
This is like when I did a little work and calculated the probability spread for 4d6 drop lowest, back in my 2nd Ed days.

It didn't really resemble the ability score rolls my players managed to get when I wasn't around. :iiam:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Also, his follow-up posts:

quote:

fail at math? nah i rolled 10 times i saved 9 times i am pretty sure thats correct math though, its typical online behavior. Poke fun at people over silly things to make yourself feel better even if its totally off topic. Now will you go back to 2nd grade or grow up a little? Is why i detest posting anything online anymore, to many kiddies feel need to try and degrade someone for no reason, and we all know in real life you probably wouldn't have balls to say crap to anyone. Now if going to sit and insult people why don't you take it some where else? i have yet to be offensive, or rude or snippy just stating an opinion and if you don't agree with it or you can't be constructive then don't post thanks.

Back on topic my point is, and still stands rolling a 10 is cake, and if you rolled a 9 or lower you'll be free next turn almost guaranteed i have never ever seen anyone roll consistent low numbers, here lets try again only we'll do it 20 times i bet see same basic pattern. Oh and no its not a loaded dice, actually offical Wizards dice bought in one of there little dice box sets. Unless your implying, wizards doesn't make there dice up to standards?

13,8,16,10,19,17,12,9,12,15,1,12,15,20,1 6,20,14,15,2,16

20 rolls
16 successes
4 failures

also notice anytime i failed a roll, it i would break the effect the following turn. To me i just think its to easy to save against effects... i guess i just don't like the mechanic and now testing it more i really have to say... its way way to easy.

quote:

ya know i was gonna continue this debate but obviously none of you can step back for a second and consider whats being said. I suppose your all entitled to your own opinion guess i'll stick to mine, rolling a 10+ on a d20 may well be a 55% chance on average however you will always hit above that mark, at very least i and my players tend to do so.

What i really love is how i start a conversation calm and civil and am instantly " attacked " for questioning the new mechanics... so is this how people get treated on forums now days? question something and instantly its on offense... never once stated it was a bad mechanic i just said it was way to easy of a mechanic...

I dunno but i can't grasp why people online and in forums have this insatiable need to insult people that don't agree with them...

I love this guy so much.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Amish Ninja posted:

you see, 3e didn't have limitations to characters. i once played this deaf blind and retarded wizard once. he was awesome. now i have to play a wizard with a high intelligence gently caress 4E GEEZ

what you don't understand is how 4e is all about the exotic characters, like HALF-DEVILS throwing MAGICAL BOLTS, unlike the good old simpler times of properly roleplaying a 3e half-dragon aasimar fighter 1/wizard 5/spellsword 1/eldritch knight 9

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Joe Anglican posted:

Scaling down of "randomness." Not enough charts.

MY CHARTS :argh:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

ninjeff posted:

Maybe the "always pass saves" guy just has a loaded d20 and refuses to admit or consider it.

There's no way to load a d20 so it consistently lands on "high numbers," but not a specific high number.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

GoldenDelicious posted:

I think it's kinda funny in a "wow, that's really sad" kinda way that he tries to argue his point with "WELL I HAVE A GAY GUY AND A FTM TRANSGENDER SO I AM PLAYING TO THEM" as a legitimate defense. Sexuality and gender really shouldn't have too big a place, if at all, in certain RPGs like D&D, imo, But that's just me. That's why whenever you're picking a gender in D&D character generators or in games like NWN they say "Pick the Gender of your character: This has no significant impact on your character's abilities or place in the game".

Counterpoint: Baldur's Gate 2.

Gender/love/sexuality can totally play a role in a D&D game, it's just that as a rule, D&D GMs and players are the last people who should be attempting it. (Present company excepted, I'm sure...)

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Etherwind posted:

That sounds fantastic. I would also play that in a heartbeat.

However...

Could we leave this part out? :cry:

What kind of a role-player are you? Just imagine the dramatic tension: Twinkle Bloom gets pregnant but Lucky wants nothing to do with a foal, so she has to get a back-alley abortion, which sadly renders her barren. Day by day, she grows more bitter, and when she stumbles on Baby Ribbon sharing a tender moment with Lucky, it is the final straw.

The drama escalates, and eventually the party splits into two, mutually hostile groups, with Twinkle Bloom's friends calling Baby Ribbon a stupid little whore, and the Baby Ribbon/Lucky faction despising the "bitter drama queens."

Meanwhile, Wind Whistler tries to mediate, but quickly realizes that she's coming into season, and Lucky definitely seems interested in more than her adice. Will her hormones betray her and split the group further, or will she find the strength of will to stay impartial?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Fuego Fish posted:

That's one reason why AD&D has stats for so many kinds of "ordinary" animals: you can't build a "real" world without stats for sheep and cows and horses and such, because you never know when the PCs might need to kill one.

Yes, if the PCs ever need to kill a sheep in my 4e campaign, I will be sure to gape in as gormless and stupefied a manner as I can manage.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

fugacity posted:

Maybe somebody more familiar can comment, but did the Tomb of Horrors by Gygax have an ecology? Or was is just a death trap assembled from random bits of stuff that would kill players extra fast? Did any of his other modules have this?

There was no internal logic to it whatsoever beyond "how can we screw over the PC's." This is true of almost all early D&D modules.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

quote:

Running low-level combat encounters in 4th Edition is considerably more complicated than in previous edtiions. I would roughly estimate the level of complexity as being equivalent to a difficult 15th level encounter in 3rd Edition.

Jindl vs. The Harvester (1st Avatar)

All rolls can be found HERE.

Jindl starts at (-20,0), wielding his Spellstaff and a Prayer Bead of Karma, his animated shield hovering in front of him. He is pre-buffed with an Extended[rod] Longstrider, an Extended[rod] Greater Magic Fang (+1 to all natural attacks), and an Incense of Meditation.
Nox starts hovering at (-20,2) (this, and all other coordinates for Large and Huge creatures, refers to his southeast square). He is pre-buffed with an Extended[rod] Greater Magic Fang (+3 to his bite).
The Harvester starts at (22,1), mounted on Nightingale, wielding a Rod of Lesser Extend and his lance. His shield is hovering in front of him, buffed to +4 with a Magic Vestment and with a Symbol of Pain on it. Ixidor's Point is buffed to +4 with Greater Magic Weapon.
Nightingale's coordinates will only be noted if he separates from the Harvester.

Init: Jindl 7 (2 +5), Nox 26 (19 +7), Harvester 7+ (1 +6).

Round 1
Nox stares at his master, doe-eyed and unsure of what to do . He's not very bright, but he loves the Jindl! He delays his action to initiative count 7.
The Harvester takes off on Nightingale, up to (8,-3,19), 95' of elevation. He casts Protection from Energy (fire) (Concentration automatic). MS 27 (15 -1dex -5moving +18distance), Jindl's Listen 39 (16 +23skill), success within 10', Nox's Listen 38 (20 +18skill), success within 10'.
Jindl activates his Prayer Bead of Karma, casts a Quickened Bear's Endurance from his Spellstaff, drops the staff, and sends Nox to go and kill the Harvester. He then moves to (-15,3). MS 22 (8 +1dex -5moving +18distance), Listen 9 (4 +5wis) fail.
Having a pretty good idea of where the enemy is, Nox flies (run) off to (-7,-5,16), spotting the Harvester, and vice versa (Spot automatic).

** Harvester 96/96 (8,-3,19), Magic Vestment[+4 shield, inf], Symbol of Pain[passive, shield, inf], Greater Magic Weapon[+4
lance, inf], Protection from Energy(fire)[120 pts, inf]
** Nightingale 133/133
** Jindl 150/150 (-15,3), Longstrider[inf], Greater Magic Fang[inf], Meditation[inf], Karma[inf], Bear's Endurance[141]
** Nox 85/85 (-7,-5,16), Greater Magic Fang[inf]

Round 2
The Harvester begins casting Summon Monster VII, and moves to (-2,10,28) (Spot automatic; Jindl can see him).
Jindl puts the Prayer Bead away, casts a Quickened Barkskin, and Wildshapes into a deinonychus. Hide 22 (4 +1dex -1acp 18distance), MS 35 (17 +1dex -1acp 18distance), Spot 14 (9 +5skill) fail, Listen auto-fail.
Nox pursues the Harvester, moving (run) to (-6,10,29). (No AoO, as the Harvester is casting).

** Harvester 96/96 (-2,10,28), Magic Vestment[+4 shield, inf], Symbol of Pain[active, shield, inf], Greater Magic Weapon[+4 lance, inf], Protection from Energy(fire)[120 pts, inf]
** Nightingale 133/133
** Avoral[15] 66/66 (-4,8,18)
** Jindl 150/150 (-15,3), Longstrider[inf], Greater Magic Fang[inf], Meditation[inf], Karma[inf], Bear's Endurance[141], Barkskin[inf]
** Nox 85/85 (-6,10,29), Greater Magic Fang[inf]

Round 3
The Harvester finishes his spell, summoning an Avoral to (-12,16,30) The Avoral moves to (-18,10,21), spots Jindl (automatic) and casts Empowered Magic Missile at Jindl. 22 damage (15 *1,5).
Evading Nox easily, the Harvester flies to (-21,13,28), casting an Extended[rod] Spritual Weapon at Jindl (Concentration automatic), summoning a longsword, which attacks Jindl: 32 (16 +10bab +5wis +1higher) against AC 33 (16 +9armor +3 shield +5barkskin), miss.
Jindl double-moves to (-1,2): Hide irrelevant (both opponents know where he is, and will move to deny him cover in any case).
Nox charges the Harvester, moving to (-19,10,29)... interrupted! Attack of Opportunity!
The Harvester attacks Nox: 36 (18 +18) against AC 30, hit. 17 damage.
Nox finishes his charge: 22 (8 +11 +3gmw) against AC 28, miss.

** Harvester 96/96 (-21,13,28), Magic Vestment[+4 shield, inf], Symbol of Pain[triggered, shield, inf], Greater Magic Weapon[+4 lance, inf], Protection from Energy(fire)[120 pts, inf], Spiritual Weapon[29]
** Nightingale 133/133
** Avoral[16] 66/66 (-18,10,21)
** Jindl 128/150 (-1,2), Longstrider[inf], Greater Magic Fang[inf], Meditation[inf], Karma[inf], Bear's Endurance[141], Barkskin[inf]
** Nox 64/85 (-19,10,29), Greater Magic Fang[inf]

Round 4
The Avoral moves to (-4,1,21) and casts Empowered Magic Missile at Jindl. 22 damage (15 *1.5).
The Harvester Withdraws to (-11,0,28), decides that it's more important to attack Jindl than to protect himself from a mostly unbuffed Nox, casts another Extended[rod] Spiritual Weapon, and directs the first weapon to attack Jindl again. The first Spiritual weapon attacks (AC 33): 20 (4 +10 +5wis +1higher) miss.
Jindl casts Meld Into Stone, and melds into the central pillar.
Nox charges to (-13,2,28)... interrupted! Attack of Opportunity!
The Harvester attacks Nox: 1! miss. The Symbol of Pain triggers! Fort save 24 (10 +14) against DC 20, success.
Nox finishes his charge and attacks the Harvester: 22 (6 +11bonus +3gmw +2charge) against AC 28, miss.

** Harvester 96/96 (-11,0,29), Magic Vestment[+4 shield, inf], Symbol of Pain[triggered, shield, inf], Greater Magic Weapon[+4 lance, inf], Protection from Energy(fire)[120 pts, inf], Spiritual Weapon[29], Spiritual Weapon[30]
** Nightingale 133/133
** Avoral[16] 66/66 (-4,1,21)
** Jindl 106/150 (MELDED), Longstrider[inf], Greater Magic Fang[inf], Meditation[inf], Karma[inf], Bear's Endurance[141], Barkskin[inf]
** Nox 64/85 (13,2,28), Greater Magic Fang[inf]

Round 5-13
The Harvester has no way of getting Jindl out. Nox has no way of catching the Harvester. The Avoral's Magic Missiles will destroy Nox well before Jindl comes out of the pillar. Let's skip to the end of the buffing:
The Harvester casts Antilife shell, Shield of Faith, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Spell Resistance (on Nightingale), Bless, Entropic Shield, Candle of Invocation (lights it), and Righteous Might.
Jindl casts Death Ward, Animal Growth, Fire Seeds, Call Lightning Storm, Sunbeam, Cats Grace, Freedom of Movement, Air Walk, Antilife Shell.

** Harvester (4,8,0) 152/152, Magic Vestment[+4 shield, inf], Symbol of Pain[triggered, shield, inf], Greater Magic Weapon[+4 lance, inf], Protection from Energy(fire)[120 pts, inf], Spiritual Weapon[29], Spiritual Weapon[30], Antilife Shell[inf], Shield of Faith[+3, 136], Bear's Endurance[137], Bull's Strength[138], Bless[140], Entropic Shield[141], Candle of Invocation[inf], Righteous Might[26]
** Nightingale 133/133, Spell Resistance(25)[139]
** Avoral[16] (-4,1,10) 66/66
** Jindl 134/178, Longstrider[inf], Greater Magic Fang[inf], Meditation[inf], Karma[inf], Bear's Endurance[181], Barkskin[inf], Death Ward[185], Animal Growth[186], Fire Seed[inf], Call Lightning Storm[188], Sunbeam[27], Cat's Grace[190], Freedom of Movement[inf], Air Walk[inf], Antilife Shell[inf]
** Nox -10/85, DEAD

Round 14
The Harvester casts True Seeing.
Jindl readies an action to cast Flame Strike on any action except moving on the Harvester's part, then moves out of the tunnel, to (-2,1). Spot automatic on both sides. Symbol of Pain triggers! Fort save 28 (11 +17) against DC 20, success.
The Harvester activates his domain power and Smite, and charges to (2,6)... interrupted! Readied action triggers!
Jindl casts Flame Strike on the Harvester. Reflex save 28 (16 +12) against DC 20, success. 22 damage absorbed by Protection from Energy(fire). The Harvester takes 23 divine damage. Spellcraft to notice Protection from Energy: 37 (19 +18) against DC 23, success.
The Harvester finishes his charge, and attacks Jindl: 20! threat, confirm 49 (16 +18 +2strength +1bless +4might +7domain +2charge -1size), confirmed. 230 damage (OH DEAR GOD!) (10d6=35, +5*22strength +5*4magic +5*13smite). Jindl dies.

** Harvester (2,6,0) 129/152, Magic Vestment[+4 shield, inf], Symbol of Pain[triggered, shield, inf], Greater Magic Weapon[+4 lance, inf], Protection from Energy(fire)[120 pts, inf], Spiritual Weapon[29], Spiritual Weapon[30], Antilife Shell[inf], Shield of Faith[+3, 136], Bear's Endurance[137], Bull's Strength[138], Bless[140], Entropic Shield[141], Candle of Invocation[inf], Righteous Might[26], True Seeing[144]
** Nightingale 133/133, Spell Resistance(25)[139]
** Avoral[16] (-4,1,10) 66/66
** Jindl -96/178 (-2,1), DEAD
** Nox -10/85, DEAD

The Harvester wins, and used 250 gp's worth of components for True Seeing, and a tiny bit (3 rounds' worth) of his Candle of Invocation.
Jindl loses and used nothing.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

What is the point he's trying to make?

It's me, I made the point. That was an example of high-level 3.5 Edition combat between two characters (a cleric and a druid,) and of course their mounts, summons, animated Spiritual Weapons...

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 29, 2009

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Joe Anglican posted:

TG Discussion: that last one was me, by the way--scored a maximized critical hit with my Kensai scythe.

Also, Johnny Tek (Ki Hyun Mok) I think you are in for some heartache, bro.

http://storyteller-solutions.webs.com/aboutus.htm

Edit, oh god I looked at his blog and the rates and stuff and it just gets more and more :smith:.

Some people might be wondering about my name.

I was born Ki Hyun Mok and had it legally changed to Johny Tek.

Why have it legally changed and not use it just as a stage/pen name? Lots of reasons.

Here are some of the reasons.

1. Personal Comfort: I don't feel comfortable being hired under one name and being paid under another.

2. Marketability: Since I'm not going to budge on reason 1, I have to go with the name that's on my paychecks. Johnny Tek is a smarter choice for my desired profession (actor/writer) in the current country I live in. It's a name that can sell.

3. Spiritual: There's a spiritual significance to making a name change official I think. I don't think I felt quite the same person after making the change legal. I feel like I need to expect more of myself, especially now. My father passed away not long ago and I made some difficult promises to him that I have to keep. Promises that I believe I can fulfill only if my name is officially Johnny Tek.

4. Vanity: It's a "cool" name, made even more "cool" by the fact that I can write it as my real legal name.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
(Context is a thread about what to do with unplayable characters in systems that generate characters randomly.)

If it's like Traveller, where a character is playable but nearly 100% useless, I'll have them play until such time as that PC dies, when they can make a new one.

If the character is actually unplayable, then we've got a pickle. You can't rightly have them make another one, since they had their chance, but they also can't really play the character into the grave, so there's no way to get to a satisfactory result.

As hard as it was, the times this result came up for me, I just told the player it was too bad, but there was no rational way I could let them play in that game. They just had to sit that campaign out, and I'd go post a "new player wanted" ad to fill the seat. After 2-3 tries, I usually end up with a full table and some new blood in the group.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Hmm yes, I would like D&D to have more character customization and fewer cookie-cutter builds, so I think what I would do is reduce the number of choices on leveling and also have several classes choose from among the same skills. Genius!

Also, gnomes are clearly medieval while Tieflings are not IT IS SO OBVIOUS.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

shotgunbadger posted:

Also I know it's been hit before but: "Restore the medieval feel, bringin back the Gnomes" is the most stupid yet hilarious thing, because I can honestly imagine this guy backing that with "Look, there were midgets, RIGHT?!" or some other pseudo-historian :smug: type answer.

Actually, I'm pretty sure if they're honest with themselves the argument goes "look, they're in WoW right? Medieval as gently caress."

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I'm gonna be honest here, I braced myself for intense retardation after the phrase "nWOD magical girl game," but I was pleasantly disappointed. I wouldn't want to play this game, but there's some pretty interesting concepts in there.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Joe Anglican posted:

:barf:

It's... it's what the entire community of Deviantart has always dreamed of :swoon:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Cyrai posted:

Maybe I haven't played enough 4e, but that doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.

No it really does. There's a fine line between wuxia and anime, and Mr. SONIC SWORD here just crossed it.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Seftir posted:

Also IM A GIRL

And 4th Edition is RAPING ME

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

90% of the RPGNet people in that thread are making an astonishing amount of sense.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

quote:

complete worrier

Sounds like the perfect prestige class for Manuel of the Planes! :ohdear:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
"I roll to see if my character wants to have lesbian sex!"

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

You are Nineteen. You came of age a bit late, partially due to your mother's coddling, but you came of age with a vengeance. Your appetite for sex is only matched by a satyr and exceeded only by Bacchus himself! You are tall, lean and a bit waify for a man. In fact, sometimes men seem to be more attracted to you than women because of your slight figure and baby face. At nineteen, you fit your cognomen (Pavo, "peacock") well. You usually wear a white tunic with green labyrinth patterning and a bright saffron toga that makes you unmistakable in public.

... 74 pages, christ. Is all of it like that?

Holy poo poo, just clicked on a random page:

quote:

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Now with how much we want to gently caress them in bold numbers!

Family
Aulus Volumnius Pavo- That’s us 10

Postumus Volumnius- our younger brother, Seven years old. 0

Volumnia- Our sister, a year older than we are. 0

Camillus- Our uncle, we owe a debt to him, the better part of our funds have been loaned to us by him. 0

Erastes Fulmen- Our cousin on our mother’s side, captain of the Aventine collegium. We are now brother to him by oath. 0

Friends and Contacts
Appius- An architect who gave us a high ranking job in the construction of a public work. 3

Sopho- Our former pedagogue, now a freedman. He still gives lessons at the playhouse, Dramatica Maxima. 2

Marcus Junius Brutus- “Et tu, Brute?” most famous assassin of Julius Caesar. A senator and friend to Julius Caesar, he is descended from the Gens Junii where his great forefather, Lucius Junius freed Roma from the tyranny of the King Tarquinius Superbus. His family name goes far, for they are seen as killers of tyrants and liberators of the republic. Rather than be wed as we would in history, he instead has his eye set on our sister, Volumnia. 7

Rufus- A local Slave-seller whom we purchased slaves from, promising to spread his name about. And maybe his butt cheeks. 7

Flavio- Lieutenant to Erastes Fulmen. 2

Lucius Pinarius- Childhood friend who you have just caught up with. Great Nephew of Caesar and cousin to Octavian. 10

Slaves and Subordinates
Gigo- One of our slaves, a burly greek man in his thirties, does much of the labor for us around the house. 7

Bubo- Our latin slave who manages familial affairs and tutors Postumus. 0

Lydie- A buxom and bronze skinned Spaniard house-slave we own. 9

Ilia- An Ionian Greek, she is an uppity slave who can cook fabulous oregano flatbread. Thin and Raven-haired. Middle Aged. 6

Roxanna- A chunky Syrian women who knows how to prepare delicious meat and cheese. Submissive and knows her place. 5

Tufa, a Cyrenian (native tribeswoman). Coming from Africa, she is an expert on exotic spices, and can usually fetch rare goods at astonishing prices. 9

Kassandros: A Greek man, Blessed by Neptune he has a way with fish and the sea. Loves the water and seems able to pluck a fish from the Tiber without any thought. Sadly he seems to be rather mentally impaired. Loyal to us provided we can supply him with fish. 0

Kleon- A greek, now manages our bar and handles our new slaves. Former slave to a Capitoline lawyer. Knows Roma well. 0

Percivia- a Belgian Slave-woman. Works in our tavern 9

Hilaria- a Belgian slave-woman. Works in our tavern 9

Aliquidus- a Belgian slave-boy. Works in our house 7

Piganus- a Belgian slave-boy: Works in our tavern 7

Ferro- A former gladiator, Fights in the style of the Murmillo. Proudly displays his Rudi, or wooden sword signifying freedom from gladiatorial games. Bouncer for our bar. 5

The Gallic Twins- Italicus and Hadrianus. Cisalpine Gauls. Want to be Italians. Security and subordinate to Ferro, but also bartend. 3

Caldus- a former 6th legion soldier. Alternates between head of security and being our bodyguard with: 5

Minio- Caldus’ friend, also a former 6th legion soldier. 5

Hiedegaard/Adrianna- A fire-haired Germanic virgin who can sing like a siren. Our Slave. 10

Special thanks to Quantumfate!! 10

I don't think this is at all realistic why do I not want to gently caress Bubo at all? :smith:

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 6, 2009

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Magic: the Gathering rules have just undergone a massive set of changes, mostly simplifying and streamlining things.

Naturally, this means a bumper crop for grognards.txt.

JohnStuartMill posted:

YOU'RE RUINING THE GAME!

This is horrible.

You want idiots to play the game.

The better players will have less chances to make great combat phases. This is horrible !!!

You help bad players and fuc_ good players !!!

What a crap !!

This is fuc_ing Pokemon!

I HATE YOU

NO YOU SHUT UP DAD

tracon posted:

R&D what have you done!!!!

You trying to change OUR game in some kind of pokemon sh....t!!! You taking away tons of combat tricks, changing the way how we played from ages!!!
You said bla bla bla - rules were changed since 6th edition WRONG!!! 10 years ago we had half of cards and tricks we using today. Why you decided to change soemthing for better 10 years ago and now you reversing those changes?!!?!?

I mean all others changes are fine (they trying to simplify the game flow, attract new players, get rid of confusing situation) -
BUT PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH A COMBAT DAMAGE!!!

last but not least - why the hell u made a creature like Dauntless Escort if we cant use it ability whenever it could be usefull? (block, damage on stack, sacrifice - save my creatures - kill you dude..

SHAME ON YOU WIZARDS!!!

I'm just sad I can't replicate the 36-point font used for about half those sentences.

el_pato posted:

This is all far worse than I ever expected. Before I was irritated by the terminology and mana burn rumors, but now I would gladly concede those smaller changes if it meant holding on to core mechanics like stacking damage. I can only hope that this will actually push me to quit and stop wasting valuable time and money.

Have fun with this game, new players. Wizards forsook us for you.

WotC, WotC, why hast thou forsaken us.

revolver01 posted:

why change something that works, death touch is worse now, so what if you have to regenerate more then once? death touch is suposed to kill things and having to regenerate more then once is just helping that, and geting rid of combat tricks is even worse i mean sure, i can still giant groath after the declare blockers step, but not being able to sac my mogg fanatics to kill a 2/2 is not all good, and maby doubble life link is a bit of math, but it is fun enough to be worth it. with any luck this is just like new coke and they end up geting rid of it before it dose too much damage, but i dont see that happening

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Riidi WW posted:

they took out mana burn?????

Yes. Enjoy.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Joe Anglican posted:

If I was regularly playing 4e I would definitely use power cards, but I don't really want to play a game where I have to have reference cards at hand to explain to me what I can do. Just personal preference, but that is how I feel. I think some people who are very familiar with 4e are losing track of the big picture when they are trying to find fault with some of the specific things I am saying; regardless of exactly how long it takes to roll up a character or prep an adventure in 3e or 4e vs. old school D&D, you cannot deny that old school D&D is faster because of the lack of options. As those who have played the older versions can attest, this lack of options does not translate into a lack of options during play; in fact, if anything, it leads to more options! If you have detailed rules for combat feats, etc., it tends to give DM's and players the impression that they are limited to doing those things that are described in the rules, while if those things are left purely to the imagination and the DM's rulings, the sky is the limit and you can do literally anything. My mind is unbottled...

Okay guys the mage just cast Polymorph, everyone go get yourself something to eat while Tod flips through the entire Monster Manual. Eric I guess you can just go home, I'll make sure your fighter full attacks every round.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Dwarves. Dwarves are bishi as gently caress.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I haven't played Magic in a decade, and I didn't play very seriously then, but doesn't the metagame change making cards useless all the time?

Yes, cards change wildly in value every time a new set comes out (which is every three months,) and often even when there's no new set, as new dominant decks are invented and the metagame shifts. Magic players are just really grognardy.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

so it goes posted:

a 13 year old female asian rogue named shuriken nekogami

I saw that, and I knew we had something special here.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Maybe he plays with his kidshahaha he'd never let filthy crotchspawn touch his precious chairzard...

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Lugubrious posted:

RPGnet? lovely social skills? Well I never.
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=457353

Oh man, poor dude :smith:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Teleportation, gating, and long-range attacks are the trademark of wizards in fantasy fiction everywhere. It's simply things that fighters cannot do and shouldn't be able to do.

---

I don't know what sort of fantasy fiction this guy reads.

Yeah I remember reading a short story once, this wizard called Gandalf cast Greater Teleport and dropped a ring into a volcano.

It was a short short story okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mikan posted:

the follow-up:

How so, considering that a properly built 3.5 fighter can impose this effect too, except better, but mostly doesn't need to, because he can just trip most enemies (until very high levels)? 4.0 fighter has nothing on any variations of 3.5 tripmachine fighter or even fighters that don't trip.

can 4e fighters fullattack?

no, i didn't think so. case closed :smug: