Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Spartak posted:

What about getting a used (road legal) xr500-600 or something and slapping some 17" rims on it? Cos that's what I want to do :haw:

Then do it.

Spartak posted:

But then again, that would probably be narrowly cheaper than a second hand DRZ. I guess the only problem would be finding one that wasn't thrashed, which they all probably would be.

Not only would it only be narrowly cheaper, what makes you think that a used dual sport would be any less likely to be thrashed? Also, as far as I have heard, the street legal xr's are just as slow and heavy as the drz only not setup for the street like the drz is. There are some states where the xr650r is road legal, I think, but for all its power it is a wide open desert bike.

This sort of runs into a philosophical discussion regarding "supermoto-ness". The way that I look at it is, you can participate in supermoto racing by racing a dirtbike on knobbies in the sportsman class, but that doesn't mean that your kx500 is a supermoto. The best analogy that I can come up with is; you can run your lifted truck at the drag strip, but that doesn't make it a dragster.

A final word about conversions, for all the difference that swapping tire and wheels (and brakes) makes, you may as well stick with the wheels that came with the bike and save up to buy a supermoto. The xr's and the like that get converted are usually done because the converter had the bike already. The general guideline on cenversions is to only convert if you really like the bike and feel that it would make a better sumo than what is available off the shelf. If you do end up trying to save money, choose carefully, not all dirtbikes have ready conversion parts.

As far as thrashed drz's go, I think that I am the only drz owner here who bought theirs new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
Hmmm yeah good points.

On a local bike tv show they showed a guy smoke a field of pre-'82 classics in a street race on his XR500 converted supermoto. Made me think what if..

I'll start putting away money now and I guess by Christmas time I'll probably have enough to get a used DRZ locally, or get one new on credit for the remainder.

Squishy Buddha
Jan 9, 2003

2/12/1980 Never Forget.

Spartak posted:

Hmmm yeah good points.

On a local bike tv show they showed a guy smoke a field of pre-'82 classics in a street race on his XR500 converted supermoto. Made me think what if..

I'll start putting away money now and I guess by Christmas time I'll probably have enough to get a used DRZ locally, or get one new on credit for the remainder.

I bought a 95 xr600r with full intentions of supermotoing it, but god drat is it expensive. I ended up just doing a mild restore on the bike and will use it as a dual sport this summer. Maybe next winter I'll take the plunge, but between buying the thing (my 3rd bike at that) and getting it back to decent shape, it was too deep for my pockets.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GriszledMelkaba posted:

gently caress my gay life I want to trade my R6 in for a DRZ-SM. I can't ride the thing anywhere to its capacity in Washington whereas when I borrow Spiffness' DRZ everything is super fun and I don't have to constantly hold myself back. gently caress Supersports in non-Los Angeles urban environments.

You live right next to pacific raceways. It looks like they are getting pretty close to finishing their kart track as well, so you could run supermoto there as well.

Edit:
Your best bet for supermoto on the cheap is to just run "sportsman" tires on normal offroad wheels. I don't know what is out there today, but a few years ago there were a few options for relatively decent street tires in offroad wheel sizes. I've always found it surprising how much grip you can get out of just a part of knobbies.

n8r fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 27, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spartak posted:

What about getting a used (road legal) xr500-600 or something and slapping some 17" rims on it? Cos that's what I want to do :haw:

But then again, that would probably be narrowly cheaper than a second hand DRZ. I guess the only problem would be finding one that wasn't thrashed, which they all probably would be.

You can certainly do that, yes. 17 inch rims arent just something that can be "slapped on" by most people though. Excel or similar wheels are thousands of dollars. As I mentioned before, they dont come with brake disks, and the stock disks wont work on the aftermarket wheels, so you have to do that too. After tires and everything, you're probably around the cost of a DRZSM. Not to mention that the DRZSM has way better street suspension than the XR's.

As n8 said, you can run street tires on the standard wheels, which makes for a supermoto on the cheap. Doesnt look as cool, but the effect is nearly the same. Thats what I do with my Kawi 250 enduro. I put some Maxxis Promaxx tires on, and I have 95% of the fun factor of a regular supermoto with almost none of the cost.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

As n8 said, you can run street tires on the standard wheels, which makes for a supermoto on the cheap. Doesnt look as cool, but the effect is nearly the same. Thats what I do with my Kawi 250 enduro. I put some Maxxis Promaxx tires on, and I have 95% of the fun factor of a regular supermoto with almost none of the cost.

Even though it isn't a supermoto in the purest sense, this is a very good idea to get involved on the cheap. Even though I already have a drz, if I were to get into racing I would probably get a low displacement dirt bike and put different tires on it.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
Yeah that could be a good idea, and I would still be able to ride a 250 on my license. But wouuldn't the 21"+ front wheel mess with things though, like corner entry etc?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For sure the handling isnt as good, but you can still toss it around like nothing. Which is half the point anyway.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

lofting curbs and fishtailing stops are much more fun to me than going 120mph straight

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
My major worry with converting a dirt bike would be the brakes. Dirt bike brakes aren't really made for the level of pressure required to stop a bike on the street. Dirt gives much much sooner.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pr0zac posted:

My major worry with converting a dirt bike would be the brakes. Dirt bike brakes aren't really made for the level of pressure required to stop a bike on the street. Dirt gives much much sooner.

I thought most conversions involved a larger disc and potentially a bigger caliper to go with it - or are you saying the master cylinder on your average dirt bike isn't enough for the street?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Jazzzzz posted:

I thought most conversions involved a larger disc and potentially a bigger caliper to go with it - or are you saying the master cylinder on your average dirt bike isn't enough for the street?

I was referring more to the people talking about slapping street tires on their dirt bike's current 21" rims.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My dirtbikes current 21" wheels connect to a drum brake.

The bike will still endo with drum brakes.

I certainly wouldnt worry too much about a hydraulic disk brake.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Jazzzzz posted:

A master on a dirtbike is more than enough for the street, but might come up a bit short during heavy use at a road or supermoto track. I have no problems doing stoppies or losing front grip on my yz with street tires on it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Can anyone explain to me how a slipper clutch makes backing it in easier? I'm just curious.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ReelBigLizard posted:

Can anyone explain to me how a slipper clutch makes backing it in easier? I'm just curious.

I believe it makes it so you can just pop the clutch after downshifting to break loose the bad end as opposed to needing to let it out smoothly.

Super cool hour long supermoto movie I found on supermotojunkie.com and threw up on google video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6683072074777555003

nskowyra
Jul 25, 2007
Vice President of Cool

pr0zac posted:

I believe it makes it so you can just pop the clutch after downshifting to break loose the bad end as opposed to needing to let it out smoothly.

Super cool hour long supermoto movie I found on supermotojunkie.com and threw up on google video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6683072074777555003

sweet vid, probably some of the worst music ive ever herd.
love how these guys just drive their motos where ever.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:

ReelBigLizard posted:

They don't make it easier.

Unless you're Gary McCoy, backing it in means rear wheel moving slower than front wheel. You can slow the rear wheel down by abusing engine breaking or by applying rear brake.

Slipper clutches limit the "back-torque" you get when downshifting lazily, giving the engine a chance to catch up before the clutch is fully engaged.
It's easier to break the rear end loose without a slipper clutch because you've got the full force of that sloppy downshift's engine breaking to slow the rear wheel for you. The downside is that if you over do it you'll lock the back wheel completely, which is a lot less fun.

If you do have a slipper clutch you probably have to apply a little rear brake, but again too much brake and you'll lock the rear and have a near-death experience.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I linked this in another thread a while ago, but it really belongs here. Video Coverage of all 6 rounds of the AMA supermoto championship last year, and lots of other good videos.

http://www.supermotoonline.com/VideoPage.htm

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

After riding ducati's hypermotard 1100s at their demo days the other day the thought has now crossed into my mind to trade my 636 in for a supermotard. Probably can't afford the ducati but the drz400sm is right in my price range!

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

mattfl posted:

After riding ducati's hypermotard 1100s at their demo days the other day the thought has now crossed into my mind to trade my 636 in for a supermotard. Probably can't afford the ducati but the drz400sm is right in my price range!

You won't regret it! I went from a GSXR600 to a DRZ and love it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cmorrow001 posted:

You won't regret it! I went from a GSXR600 to a DRZ and love it.

Same here. I didnt regret leaving my GSXR for the DRZ at all.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I'm doing the same thing with my R6 =\

sportbikes are not fun in a city that isn't LA

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

GriszledMelkaba posted:

gently caress my gay life I want to trade my R6 in for a DRZ-SM. I can't ride the thing anywhere to its capacity in Washington whereas when I borrow Spiffness' DRZ everything is super fun and I don't have to constantly hold myself back. gently caress Supersports in non-Los Angeles urban environments.

Yea gently caress your gay life until the cops bust your rear end for cutting through parking lots at 30 mph. While entirely useful, I rode my DRZ like a total dumbass and got busted a few times. The bike is so easy to ride crazy, and downtown it is just unfair how fast you can get around town.

I ride my sportbike much more reserved than when I had a DRZ. Just keep that in mind, you WILL ride it like a dumbass no matter how much you tell yourself you won't.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Phat_Albert posted:

Same here. I didnt regret leaving my GSXR for the DRZ at all.

Not hating, but I regretted the change after awhile. The DRZ is a BIG step down in power. Unless you re-gear it, it sucks on the freeway. It only has a 2.4 gallon gas tank. The seat blows unless you are wearing padded leathers.

That being said, it's the cheapest fun you will have on two wheels. Easily far and away the most elicit fun I have had on a motorcycle. I will own another supermoto but the next one will have some power, the DRZ was to ultimately to underpowered for my taste and I didn't feel like dumping a bunch of money into it to make it fast.

These are my opinions after owning and riding one for 10k miles. Great bikes, bullet-proof, I just wish they had more power.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone here ridden both a drz and the ducati hypermotard? I've been riding the ducati at their demo days the pas couple weeks and was wondering how they compared. I LOVE the ducati, I want it now but the price might be out of my range. I know the drz has basically half the HP and feel a little bit different just sitting on it compared to the duc. Any opinions?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I've ridden both, the drz feels quite a bit lighter and more nimble, but it could really use a sixth gear. The Ducati is heavy (in comparison to the DRZ), but the extra 50hp over the drz is pretty nice.

I'm thinking about getting a KTM 690smc, which is lighter than the DRZ, but sits between the DRZ and Hypermotard in both power and price.

While I'm here, I backed it in on my BMW K75S this morning.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

mattfl posted:

Has anyone here ridden both a drz and the ducati hypermotard? I've been riding the ducati at their demo days the pas couple weeks and was wondering how they compared. I LOVE the ducati, I want it now but the price might be out of my range. I know the drz has basically half the HP and feel a little bit different just sitting on it compared to the duc. Any opinions?

Comparison? One is the cheapest road ready 'motard' and one is the most expensive road ready 'motard', And theres a big gap. Both are too heavy to be thrown around like a converted bike, but one is still like 100 lbs lighter than the other.

If i had Ducati money i would look at KTM's or Husky's or maybe just buy 2 bikes?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dubs posted:

Comparison? One is the cheapest road ready 'motard' and one is the most expensive road ready 'motard', And theres a big gap. Both are too heavy to be thrown around like a converted bike, but one is still like 100 lbs lighter than the other.

If i had Ducati money i would look at KTM's or Husky's or maybe just buy 2 bikes?

The one thing I noticed that was completely different was when I sat on the DRZ the suspension was super soft. Like, it traveled almost 4-6 if not more when I sat on it. The duc didn't really move at all. I'm just wondering if it was the floor model DRZ they had or if the suspension is really that soft.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I sat on a DRZ yesterday and I will agree that the suspension has a LOT of travel

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

mattfl posted:

The one thing I noticed that was completely different was when I sat on the DRZ the suspension was super soft. Like, it traveled almost 4-6 if not more when I sat on it. The duc didn't really move at all. I'm just wondering if it was the floor model DRZ they had or if the suspension is really that soft.

6 inches seems a bit extreme, the DRZ you sat on probably needs its suspension adjusted a bit, but all SMs have a bunch of suspension travel. The Ducati isn't comparable to real supermotos. Its really more of a naked standard than an SM, it just happens to look like one. I wouldn't want to try jumping a Hypermotard, or off roading it, or riding down stairs etc, but stuff like that is par for the course for SMs. If what you are looking for is a cheap version of the Hypermotard, you shouldn't be looking at a DRZ.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 19, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the thing that people conveniently forget about the Hypermotard. Its not really a supermoto. If you want to be really anal, its because its not based of a dirtbike. Mainly though, the reason lies in its heft and the fact that while it outpowers every supermoto on the market, it doesnt out suspension them.

A DRZ or a KTM or Husky or whatever SM you want, could ride down stairs and jump off loading docks and do whatever the gently caress until you're blue in the face. The Ducati, while it does have more travel than your average streetbike, isnt really set up for that kind of hardcore suspension abuse.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Thats the thing that people conveniently forget about the Hypermotard. Its not really a supermoto. If you want to be really anal, its because its not based of a dirtbike. Mainly though, the reason lies in its heft and the fact that while it outpowers every supermoto on the market, it doesnt out suspension them.

A DRZ or a KTM or Husky or whatever SM you want, could ride down stairs and jump off loading docks and do whatever the gently caress until you're blue in the face. The Ducati, while it does have more travel than your average streetbike, isnt really set up for that kind of hardcore suspension abuse.

I could definitely tell that about the duc. It's really not made to take the abuse a real SM would. I know 2 guys in town that own the DRZ, I need to get one of them to let me test ride theirs to see if I actually like that feeling or not.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Well, I was trying not to flat out say the hypertard isn't a motard because it might sound stuck up, but yes it's really just a big monster with stupid plastics on it. I can't really see a reason to own one really, I'd just buy the monster or super sport ducati sitting next to it.

EDIT: drz suspension is set up for someone about 80kg's, but even with me at 30kg over that it wasn't super duper spongey or anything. It would dive under breaks though.

I recently got the suspension changed for me and the different is just amazing. It's just a dream to ride and i have preety much not decided to jump over to a ktm now. It's not a quick bike, but I didn't buy it to be one and it does everything I will ever need it too.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 19, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dubs posted:

Well, I was trying not to flat out say the hypertard isn't a motard because it might sound stuck up, but yes it's really just a big monster with stupid plastics on it. I can't really see a reason to own one really, I'd just buy the monster or super sport ducati sitting next to it.

If I were waiting for a upright duc, I'd be waiting for the streetfighter to come out. 3.3 gallon fuel tank on the hyper seems pointlessly small too. They're cool bikes and all, I just don't understand the obsession that some people get with them. It's a standard with tarted up plastics. My SV will make the same HP with a good tune and pipe (although be lacking torques) and it's heavy as hell for something that's supposed to be a SM replica.

Hell, though, if it blows your skirt up, buy it and enjoy the gently caress out of it. I know that the friends who've bought them love theirs. I just don't get it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dubs posted:

EDIT: drz suspension is set up for someone about 80kg's, but even with me at 30kg over that it wasn't super duper spongey or anything. It would dive under breaks though.

I recently got the suspension changed for me and the different is just amazing. It's just a dream to ride and i have preety much not decided to jump over to a ktm now. It's not a quick bike, but I didn't buy it to be one and it does everything I will ever need it too.

I'm just under you at 100kg's, I guess I just wasn't expecting that much travel having only ridden sportbikes and the hyper. I'm guessing it just wasn't setup properly at the dealer and is why I wanna actually ride one first.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I sat on a DRZ yesterday and I will agree that the suspension has a LOT of travel

It'll roll straight over curbs at 30 mph, I didn't touch the settings on mine.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ReelBigLizard posted:

The SM guys adjust them to have no slip at all and to just slam the plates engaged in order to get more rear tyre sliding.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

It'll roll straight over curbs at 30 mph, I didn't touch the settings on mine.

Hmmm. I'm on a 650SE, and as a new rider, extremely hesitant to try stuff like this (and therefore will avoid it) but mine should do that as well, yeah?

I think the 650SE has more travel, so it should be able to go even faster. According to some quick googling, the DRZ has more - about 11.3" in the '03 model compared to 10.2" on the SE in '05. Mine's an '09 but I doubt it's changed that much.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I was really tempted to ride up the sidewalk and across the crosswalk instead of waiting for the light to turn green but I played it safe and my Husky ended up shooting steam out of the radiator expansion tank! Just something to think about.

• Locked thread