Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.

Cracker Barrel, Inc. posted:

we get another asherons call thread every 5 or so months and theres always the same people saying the game is dead or brag about their non existant lvl 275 chars.

Does anyone remember that high level player on DT named "Baelezebub" or something like that who posted funny poo poo on his website, like him killing everyone at a wedding, completely naked, with a hollow weapon, while spamming "IM GAY, IM GAY, IM GAY!" (to ruin the screenshots). Also remember the sho prostitutes.

Anyone have a link to that site or archived please??

I remember baelzebub, he also played SC and LC under similar names.

Turbine purged all inactive accounts once, I believe in 2003. So very early characters are probably gone.

Also, migration from MS zone to turbines account system is long gone, You would need to start fresh anyway. Digital download on direct2drive.com

Squared, I remember a toon named Fokus. I played as Ascendance and Fictitious Reality on SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

evelyn87 posted:

Turbine purged all inactive accounts once, I believe in 2003. So very early characters are probably gone.

Also, migration from MS zone to turbines account system is long gone, You would need to start fresh anyway. Digital download on direct2drive.com

I don't know if that's true. Last year I contacted Turbine with old usernames, player names and random sets of cd keys and not only did I get my accounts back, but they were all on one account and merged. It took like a month but I got almost everything back and I had not played since 2003 or before.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Yup, same. Lots of rediculously rare pre-patched or discontinued stuff :buddy:

Zoopy
Aug 31, 2002

"HAT."
Okay well we can't have an AC thread without some of Dread Og's videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdUo1GVT3OY

:allears:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

evelyn87 posted:

This is untrue.

As I have already posted, as recently as mid/late 2008 I was able to transfer. They still have the forms and information you need to provide.

Here's the Migration FAQ and here's the Migration Form. It'll cost about what it would if you were buying the game, and includes 30 free days.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

They purged inactive accounts in March 2002, purging all inactive accounts since release. Some say they just purged accounts not having been active since mid 2001, this was lies, as I lost a mule account for it only being unsubbed a couple months (rank mules).

Second, migration of these accounts are impossible, Let me clarify that if you have old characters, migration is not going to work for you, your characters are probably gone. Can you migrate from the periods of March 2002 to mid 2003? Sure, try it.. Read the website where they disclaim that it "may not work", "probably wont work" and if you did, your going to have one hell of a gimped character anyway.

Start fresh, your alleg is probably gone, or you have been kicked. Your gear is worthless, nobody wants your hoary robe or your green mire curiass.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

evelyn87 posted:

Second, migration of these accounts are impossible

You are just wrong...

quote:

Answer 1/3/2008 via Website

Greetings xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for the response. We have completed the migration process. You will now have access to the characters from the Zone ID "xxxxxxxx" on the newly created Turbine account "xxxxxxx". Let us know if you have any further
questions by replying to the link below.

Welcome Back!

Thank you,
The Turbine Customer Service Team

I have gone through this process already. It's not impossible.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

Welcome back to AC, I hope you are this ignorant in DT.. I need more fresh meat.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Chances are you'll get in just fine if your account still existed after purges that occurred. The one and only account purge that ever happened had specific rules as to what got purged and what didn't. It's worth a shot. I had not subscribed since a month before the first expansion was released in 2001 and every single character remained intact.

A couple of my alts that had some active vassals also leveled quite a bit when I logged in. From single digits to 40+.

Evelyn is a good example of what many or most of the people who still play AC are like, though.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

Thats what they said, there were all these stipulations on what would and wouldnt be purged.. I lost 4 mules that had only been unsubbed for a few months before the purge happened. Who knows.

I offered my help to anyone wanting to return, having played AC my whole teenage/college life I think I know a little about whats happened while all of you still complain about your pre-DM accounts. Come back, lets play.

evelyn87 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 23, 2009

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
All this talk about Darktide is certainly making me nostalgic. I'll never forget when one of the developers let Blood (Darktide monarch) swear to Baelzheron (spelling?) on darktide. That was pure comedy gold right there.

smaweet
Nov 20, 2008

by The Finn
95% of the accounts that didn't "transfer" from the merge all you need to have is your old zone name and a character on the accounts name to reclaim it, they are still there they just don't make promises. It took me 2 days to get mine back and the last I had played was 2003ish.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Nosthula posted:

All this talk about Darktide is certainly making me nostalgic. I'll never forget when one of the developers let Blood (Darktide monarch) swear to Baelzheron (spelling?) on darktide. That was pure comedy gold right there.

That was the most role-playing anyone ever managed to extract out of that jolly band of PKs. Plus slide-casting meteors with BZ was a pretty good time.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

Just resubbed my DT account. I have plenty of gear and still have 1400 followers under me.. We can form a goon allegiance if people want to get on board.

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Nosthula posted:

That was the best. I wish more MMO's had their main bad guy just going around stirring up poo poo.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

devilmouse posted:

That was the most role-playing anyone ever managed to extract out of that jolly band of PKs. Plus slide-casting meteors with BZ was a pretty good time.

ROFL, when they took out slide casting I was a very sad man. I wish I would have seen you slide casting with BZ, because I'm sure it was epic. And since we are talking about the old days, Nighthawk/Patryn of JoV says hi devilmouse.

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 24, 2009

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Nosthula posted:

ROFL, when they took out slide casting I was a very sad man. I wish I would have seen you slide casting with BZ, because I'm sure it was epic. And since we are talking about the old days, Nighthawk/Patryn of JoV says hi devilmouse.

Gosh, I haven't talked to any of the guys from back then in forever. How's old Rich doing? I emailed back and forth with Schattenkind and Bekka (She's doing a webcomic @ http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php) for a bit over the years and would bump into Stahler from time to time on IRC.

I just started idling in the #a-c irc channel again, but I don't think any of the people there play anymore, but it's funny to see the same old names, 10 years later.

Maybe I'll go dig through my screenshots and see if there's anything worth posting.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Nosthula posted:

Haha were you in JoV? Mental. If you're nighthawk / patryn I remember yo; I think one of my RL friends was sworn to you in fact.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

Goon allegiance made, need officers to help get this going. Let me know something.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

devilmouse posted:

Gosh, I haven't talked to any of the guys from back then in forever. How's old Rich doing? I emailed back and forth with Schattenkind and Bekka (She's doing a webcomic @ http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php) for a bit over the years and would bump into Stahler from time to time on IRC.

I just started idling in the #a-c irc channel again, but I don't think any of the people there play anymore, but it's funny to see the same old names, 10 years later.

Maybe I'll go dig through my screenshots and see if there's anything worth posting.

Nighthawk is doing pretty good, he got married last year. He will be down visiting me in a few days for my wedding.

Dig up some great BZ screenshots of you wrecking shop! I'm sure people in this thread would love to see them.

Blacknose posted:

Haha were you in JoV? Mental. If you're nighthawk / patryn I remember yo; I think one of my RL friends was sworn to you in fact.

Yes I was in JoV on Darktide. I was Cthulhu.

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 24, 2009

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I loved how they'd really integrate the players into the story. I still remember hanging out in the portal dungeon near Arwic and landing on BZ's head (giant epic demon).

It was awesome that they let Arwic be destroyed, that town was full of so many shitheads. And then there was New Arwic and it sucked forever.

The best part was probably the story and player involvement in the world. There was SO MUCH background story, you could easily lose yourself in all of the information. Games like WOW seem downright simple by comparison (lol lich king)

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant

evelyn87 posted:

Goon allegiance made, need officers to help get this going. Let me know something.

I really would love to see goons get in on this, I play currently on DT as Zenodice.. though I'm in a pretty good allegiance currently, I'd have no problem helping a goon allegiance.

Seriously though, the game has pretty awesome PvP... it's still the only one I enjoy playing for pvp and what I came back to after darkfail didn't live up to the hype.

Also, anyone who's looking to catch up on the game, go here: http://www.asheron.info it's the ACC Wiki... it's pretty much the only source of information that updates regularly as maggie stopped awhile back as did the rest of the "fan sites".

It's pretty awesome to see devilmouse posting here, that's an oldschool name I remember. Hey DM, if you have any good oldschool information or cool AC related stuff hidden away, you should get an account on the AC wiki and put it up there.

Sixfools posted:

Get some hollow weapons before 20 and hangout at the training area. Low level pvp used to be so much fun just hanging around the lifestone talking poo poo and watching out for Bloods.

Is this the same Sixfools who played on Morningthaw? If so, I played Sanguis Sparta there and you were in the same monarchy as myself and my father (Vlad Morbius). Cool :P

Zenodice fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 24, 2009

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Holy crap, it's devilmouse.

evelyn87 and Zenodice, you guys are still playing, why? The thread has been pretty heavy with the "Eh don't go back, PvP is mostly ruined, everyone macros and that's what the game is about now". Interested in hearing your side.

YardKGnome
Jan 18, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Nosthula posted:

Nighthawk is doing pretty good, he got married last year. He will be down visiting me in a few days for my wedding.

Dig up some great BZ screenshots of you wrecking shop! I'm sure people in this thread would love to see them.

Yes I was in JoV on Darktide. I was Cthulhu.

Holy crap its Cthulhu! Its me, Yard! Whats up?!

I, too, enjoyed and miss the olden days of running around with JoV in AC. *sigh* I still remember when admin devilmouse showed us how fast he could run in the desert.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

YardKGnome posted:

I, too, enjoyed and miss the olden days of running around with JoV in AC. *sigh* I still remember when admin devilmouse showed us how fast he could run in the desert.

Holy crap. This thread is turning into a nostalgia fest. It's not my fault you guys were so slow, after bragging about how fast you could run. =p

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I love threads like this. A bit of nostalgia, then bam, an old red-name from the Lumboards.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

its a social tea party now, grind a bit, pvp a bit and bs on vent.. Isnt that what you do in every game? We just havnt moved on yet. And, I dont want to move to a game where I cant blitz through a dungeon dragging hundreds of monsters and laughing at the "you evade xxx" over and over.. Egotistical? Sure...

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

YardKGnome posted:

Holy crap its Cthulhu! Its me, Yard! Whats up?!

Heya bro, long time no see and how have you been? Pour on more Nostalgia sauce please!

The one thing I do not miss form old school AC is the 20 minute level 6 buffs. OMG Shoot me now please.

devilmouse posted:

Holy crap. This thread is turning into a nostalgia fest. It's not my fault you guys were so slow, after bragging about how fast you could run. =p

We bragged about being fast because we all had mages that were spec run/arcane lore. OMG worst spec ever! =8v)

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 25, 2009

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

Nosthula posted:

Heya bro, long time no see and how have you been? Pour on more Nostalgia sauce please!

The one thing I do not miss form old school AC is the 20 minute level 6 buffs. OMG

C note to Aerlinthe, Buff in water, By the time your done buffing with the crappy mana c rates you have like 14 minutes to go fight a few coral golems, then back to the water and repeat. And running aerfalle? Oh god, that took ALL day with 2 fellows, lol.

JEWS ILLUMINATI
Aug 30, 2008

VirtualReality posted:

That was the best. I wish more MMO's had their main bad guy just going around stirring up poo poo.
I wish any MMO would actually do something that was close to the poo poo like the Bael'Zharon raids.

nipple clumps
Apr 28, 2005
GUYS I RANKED ON THAT FIGHT :smug:

:gizz::gizz::gizz:

Here's an awesome picture I found on my hard drive of me killing some mage with a level 7 blast spell. What a lucky shot that was!

That was always my favorite spell to tink away at melees with.

nipple clumps
Apr 28, 2005

evelyn87 posted:

C note to Aerlinthe, Buff in water, By the time your done buffing with the crappy mana c rates you have like 14 minutes to go fight a few coral golems, then back to the water and repeat. And running aerfalle? Oh god, that took ALL day with 2 fellows, lol.

Back in the way way way beginning of AC, level 4 buffs only lasted like 10 minutes, and item spells lasted half the time of critter and life spells.

So, you HAD to buff your weapons last, and you had to rebuff them halfway through your buff session. That, and of course some revenant or iron golem was always trying to stomp your face in while you were buffing in the bottom of Metos.

EDIT* Also, probably nobody but me would remember this crap, but back in the day when you had to actually place spell components in the right order to learn spells, and before anyone actually *knew* all the combinations, I would sit around and try to learn spells for fun.

I found out that you could actually learn monster spells that they eventually took out of the game. For example, you could learn the bludgeoning spells that golems cast which would shoot out in a "t" pattern, one behind, one in front, and one to each side of you. You could also learn war spells which would do crazy stuff like shoot at diagonals only, or one behind you and diagonal to you. That poo poo is old school as hell.

nipple clumps fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 25, 2009

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Squared posted:

EDIT* Also, probably nobody but me would remember this crap, but back in the day when you had to actually place spell components in the right order to learn spells, and before anyone actually *knew* all the combinations, I would sit around and try to learn spells for fun.

I found out that you could actually learn monster spells that they eventually took out of the game. For example, you could learn the bludgeoning spells that golems cast which would shoot out in a "t" pattern, one behind, one in front, and one to each side of you. You could also learn war spells which would do crazy stuff like shoot at diagonals only, or one behind you and diagonal to you. That poo poo is old school as hell.

yeah but then someone made a calculator and nobody bothered with that anymore.

they eventually took that out of the game, right?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

VirtualReality posted:

yeah but then someone made a calculator and nobody bothered with that anymore.

they eventually took that out of the game, right?
Yes. You can actually still do it the hard way if you want, but there's really no reason to do it. In fact, you don't even need most of the components anymore. Buy an essence for a particular school and equip it in one of your bag slots (and if you were a caster, you had a whole bag and more just for components) and you just burn up tapers. You still need scarabs, I think.

nipple clumps
Apr 28, 2005

Captain Backslap posted:

Yes. You can actually still do it the hard way if you want, but there's really no reason to do it. In fact, you don't even need most of the components anymore. Buy an essence for a particular school and equip it in one of your bag slots (and if you were a caster, you had a whole bag and more just for components) and you just burn up tapers. You still need scarabs, I think.

Yeah, it's just scarabs and prismatic tapers now. The higher level the spell the more tapers it takes, so they consume faster. Prismatics are just the old components consolidated into a single component to make it easier to purchase comps.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I liked the old spell system in theory but in practice it was defeated by the fact that it's an online game and they didn't realize (nor did anyone at the time, really) how much people on the internet share information and collectively work to bypass complicated systems or make them pointless.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Yeah once you got past level 2 spells, the components for your more advanced spells were tied to your account name. And eventually the players figured that out.

nipple clumps
Apr 28, 2005

Captain Backslap posted:

I liked the old spell system in theory but in practice it was defeated by the fact that it's an online game and they didn't realize (nor did anyone at the time, really) how much people on the internet share information and collectively work to bypass complicated systems or make them pointless.

Even with all the spells listed online, it was still kind of cool. It had its own special mystique when it forced you to pair combinations of components to produce the proper spell words for a spell. And the fact that some people were so poor we couldn't afford the golden scarab to learn a new level spell when AC was first out...

It kind of made it feel like you really "learned" a spell, instead of walking to a trainer and spending some money and magically having a new ability, like in most MMO's.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
My character was in JOV as well, and was really close to getting one of those Hollow weapons or whatever those pyreal motes things were for before I quit.

Squared posted:

I remember trying to learn new spells like that too. I never learned any monster spells though, which sounds like it was awesome. Why did they remove that anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nipple clumps
Apr 28, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

My character was in JOV as well, and was really close to getting one of those Hollow weapons or whatever those pyreal motes things were for before I quit.

I remember trying to learn new spells like that too. I never learned any monster spells though, which sounds like it was awesome. Why did they remove that anyways?

They switched to this new system because spell components took up wayyyyyy too much pack space for mages, and they were also really loving heavy when you had stocked enough to keep fighting for long periods.

Also, run out of red tapers? Sorry, you can't cast your war spell now. Run out of yellow tapers? Sorry, no more recall spell for you to get back to town and restock!

So, instead they made it where you only needed the scarab and the standard "prismatic tapers" along with the proper artifice to cast the school you needed.

I guess they figured since most people would use the new and easier system, they should make the spells purchasable from vendors, which they did. You had to find the right town with the right vendor and you could buy up to level 6 spells. Level 7 spells were still world drops and you had to find/buy the spells you needed.

• Locked thread